ImageImageImageImage

OT: Marbury to be Waived This Week

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Re: OT: Marbury to be Waived This Week 

Post#21 » by EasternMagic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:03 pm

BoricuaBoi wrote:Ask yourself this, should we get him to prevent teams such as Boston From Getting him? I dont know about you guys but that would suck. Think about this lineup

Marbury
Allen
Pierce
Garnett
Perkins

IMO this is a great reason NOT to get him... Marbury is a locker room cancer. He could cause conflict. And Boston is not getting Marbury anyways don't you remember the huge fall out between him and KG in Minnesota? I don't think they like each other very much and Boston wont do something KG wont approve.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#22 » by MitchellUK » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:09 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:How many players have averaged 20 and 8 for their careers?

Completely empty 20 and 8 averages. Marbury is a tool, and a locker-room cancer. He's got his averages for his career, but they have been built on losing teams and controversy. Minnesota, New Jersey, Phoenix - he has angered people wherever he has gone, and all of those teams got better after dumping him and his overinflated ego.

He is one of the last players I would want on a team that has a lot of young players (several at guard, no less) still learning the NBA game. The Magic have incredible chemistry at the moment, and Marbury's inability to see himself as anything less than 1st option, franchise player (much less the 4th option he would likely be on this Orlando squad), would ruin that.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#23 » by glennathan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:18 pm

tjm384 wrote:No i don't want Marbury on Orlando that headcase would not be welcomed in the Magic locker room.watch this crazy video the guy is on some kind of drugs.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxgbyYrT5A

Just wanted to throw this out there. Now I am watching the video here and between the marks of 1 min 30 sec & 1 min 40 sec Marbury states he is going to average 10pts. 12-13 dimes 3 assists and 5 rbds.

Now I may not have alot of BB I.Q. but isn't a "dime" the same as an assist?

Just curious is all.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#24 » by glennathan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:22 pm

prorl wrote:LOL he could go to Italy like he wanted or he can go to Miami and sabotage that team.

I don't think D-Wade would let Marbury play in Miami. D-Wade has alot of say in that teams decisions right now and I think he would not approve. JMO.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,188

Post#25 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:24 pm

glennathan wrote:
tjm384 wrote:No i don't want Marbury on Orlando that headcase would not be welcomed in the Magic locker room.watch this crazy video the guy is on some kind of drugs.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWxgbyYrT5A

Just wanted to throw this out there. Now I am watching the video here and between the marks of 1 min 30 sec & 1 min 40 sec Marbury states he is going to average 10pts. 12-13 dimes 3 assists and 5 rbds.

Now I may not have alot of BB I.Q. but isn't a "dime" the same as an assist?

Just curious is all.

Yea I heard the same thing and laughed. Dimes are assists, but it looks like Marbury can not differentiate between an assist and a steal lol. Also, when was the last time someone averaged 3 steals per game? Has it even been done to begin with? The guy is a joke.
aka: prorl
BassMaster
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#26 » by BassMaster » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:27 pm

Looks like the NY Times was right when they reported about 3 weeks ago that Marbury was gone. And I think it would be best if he just stayed at home.
Marbury will try and destroy any team that gets him. He has done that same act time and time again he is just not worth the trouble.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#27 » by magicman123 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:36 pm

who needs starbury when we have mike wilks? no he is a cancer and a major head case, he will demand minutes and want to be the starter...ill pass, but i do wish we went after another pg..
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,936

Post#28 » by drsd » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:45 pm

drsd wrote:Marbury will only ink with a team that can promise starting minutes. This means a Miami-type team.

To respond to myself, it looks like I was right :)

Once Marbury clears waivers and a buyout is agreed upon, he would be free to sign with any team. Reports in Newsday and the South Florida media have mentioned the Miami Heat, which is in need of a point guard, as having interest.

ESPN link

KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#29 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:18 pm

MitchellUK wrote:

Completely empty 20 and 8 averages. Marbury is a tool, and a locker-room cancer. He's got his averages for his career, but they have been built on losing teams and controversy. Minnesota, New Jersey, Phoenix - he has angered people wherever he has gone, and all of those teams got better after dumping him and his overinflated ego.

He is one of the last players I would want on a team that has a lot of young players (several at guard, no less) still learning the NBA game. The Magic have incredible chemistry at the moment, and Marbury's inability to see himself as anything less than 1st option, franchise player (much less the 4th option he would likely be on this Orlando squad), would ruin that.

That's all about perception. We treat Jason Kidd as if he is a great leader, when he is actually more of a coach killer than Marbury. He has had coaches fired at every stop of his career (Cal, Phoenix, Jersey, Dallas twice). He got himself kicked out of Dallas for fighting with teammates. Scott Skiles was so fed up in Phoenix that he wouldn't re-sign until Kidd was traded. He satged the mutiny in Jersey that got Byron Scott the axe. Not to mention the domestic problems that were distractions. But I am willing to bet that we would be more inclined to accept Kidd as a backup than Marbury.

It's not Marbury's fault that his teams have been bad. No one can blame him for losing in Minnesota when his #1 option was Tom Gugliota and his #2 was a 19 year old kid. In Jersey, Martin, Kittles, and Van Horn were hurt the whole time, so I wouldn't expect a team of Marbury, Kendall Gill, and Jayson WIlliams to make it far. In Phoenix they were a playoff team. Then in New York, that team just wasn't built to win. They had a bad GM, and even worse coaches. Why we choose to make Kidd a great guy and Marbury a Villain is beyond me, but 20 pts and 8 assists is never empty.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#30 » by EasternMagic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:40 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:

That's all about perception. We treat Jason Kidd as if he is a great leader, when he is actually more of a coach killer than Marbury. He has had coaches fired at every stop of his career (Cal, Phoenix, Jersey, Dallas twice). He got himself kicked out of Dallas for fighting with teammates. Scott Skiles was so fed up in Phoenix that he wouldn't re-sign until Kidd was traded. He satged the mutiny in Jersey that got Byron Scott the axe. Not to mention the domestic problems that were distractions. But I am willing to bet that we would be more inclined to accept Kidd as a backup than Marbury.

It's not Marbury's fault that his teams have been bad. No one can blame him for losing in Minnesota when his #1 option was Tom Gugliota and his #2 was a 19 year old kid. In Jersey, Martin, Kittles, and Van Horn were hurt the whole time, so I wouldn't expect a team of Marbury, Kendall Gill, and Jayson WIlliams to make it far. In Phoenix they were a playoff team. Then in New York, that team just wasn't built to win. They had a bad GM, and even worse coaches. Why we choose to make Kidd a great guy and Marbury a Villain is beyond me, but 20 pts and 8 assists is never empty.

lol
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,188

Post#31 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:51 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:

Come on man you cant be serious. Every team that Marbury leaves gets better, that cant be a coincidence. And I dont think that anyone has ever said that Kidd is a great human being, the man beat his wife and is an ass but he is much better and valuable basketball player than Marbury.
aka: prorl
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:01 pm

prorl wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:Completely empty 20 and 8 averages. Marbury is a tool, and a locker-room cancer. He's got his averages for his career, but they have been built on losing teams and controversy. Minnesota, New Jersey, Phoenix - he has angered people wherever he has gone, and all of those teams got better after dumping him and his overinflated ego.

Come on man you cant be serious. Every team that Marbury leaves gets better, that cant be a coincidence. And I dont think that anyone has ever said that Kidd is a great human being, the man beat his wife and is an ass but he is much better and valuable basketball player than Marbury.

Coincidence is exactly what it is. If Dwight averages 30 and 18 with 5 blocks next year, and we win 70 games, do you say it is because Evans was a cancer or because Dwight matured? That's what happened in two of his stops. It was common knowledge that Garnett and Stoudamire would become monsters, they just needed time to grow into their roles. With Marbury, the wolves were a first round playoff team. Even though KG grew into an all-star, they didn't get much better until they got another all-star point guard and a former all-star on the wing. In Phoenix, Nash and D'antoni took that team from a first round knockout to a title contender. It wasn't because Marbury left, it was just the fact that they added an MVP and a dominant center and a system that allowed scorers to run wild. In Jersey, they got better because everyone suddenly got healthy. Like I said, you can't expect him to win when all he has is Gill and Williams. Adding Jefferson, a healthy K-Mart, Kittles and Van Horn will make a team 30 games better. At this point in their careers, I would rather have Marbury for the minimum than Kidd for 20 million, meanwhile the Mavs mortgaged their future to get the latter. Kidd can't score, while Marbury can't rebound. Both are great passers, and neither can guard anyone anymore.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#33 » by MitchellUK » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:

Hey, I've no doubt that Jason Kidd can be a grade A ****, and I wouldn't want him in Orlando either, but he hasn't appeared on many lottery teams. He's been to the finals twice.

Marbury has taken failure with him wherever he has been. There may have been other circumstances that contributed to that failure, but that fact is that Marbury has not demonstrated that on the court he can be professional, and enough of a leader and a winner, to offset the fact that away from the hardwood he is an arse.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:44 pm

MitchellUK wrote:Hey, I've no doubt that Jason Kidd can be a grade A ****, and I wouldn't want him in Orlando either, but he hasn't appeared on many lottery teams. He's been to the finals twice.

Marbury has taken failure with him wherever he has been. There may have been other circumstances that contributed to that failure, but that fact is that Marbury has not demonstrated that on the court he can be professional, and enough of a leader and a winner, to offset the fact that away from the hardwood he is an arse.

As long as you're fair about not wanting either of them. I just think that we need to shore up our point guard rotation. Johnson is a 3rd point guard at best in this stage of his career and Wilks should be a candidate for the disabled list night in and night out. As for playoff qualifications, Marbury didn't really start being lottery fodder until he got to New Jersey/New York. Kidd suffered through bad teams in Dallas and Phoenix and didn't really become a playoff fixture until he came east where the conference was at it's low point. The thing to remember about Kidd is that when he is on bad teams, he quits until he gets traded (Dallas, Phoenix, Jersey, Dallas again soon). Remember last year when he benched himself to get off of a team that had Jefferson and Carter? That's not much of a leader. Who wants a guy who only stays for the good days? Kidd was a better all around player in their respective primes, but Marbury has had a great career, and i would love to have him here to help shore up the lineup.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#35 » by craig01 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 am

I have never been a fan of Marbury.

He's played on lousy teams.......he does shoulder some of the blame.

That being said, I think the only person Marbury has ever truly hurt is himself. He's cheated himself much of his career.

Maybe one day he'll "get it".
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#36 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:52 am

No to Marbs.....

1). He had the perfect opportunity at the start of his career to star in Minnesota with KEVIN GARNETT. They made the playoffs. They were tearing up ESPN with the "All nude'' commercials. Why did he leave? Because he couldn't stand the fact that Garnett was paid more than he was.

2). I'll give you....that Nets team wasn't great. But when they did trade him, it was reported that the Nets and Suns were trading guys they wanted to get off their teams.

3). After he and Kidd switched spots, Phoenix missed the playoffs his first season there. It's one of the only times in like the past 20 seasons that the Suns have missed the playoffs. He got traded halfway through his third season in Phoenix, once it was clear the Suns would miss the playoffs again and once it was clear that Stoudemire needed to get the ball more. Going all the way back to the 1988-89 season, I think there was only one other season when they did not make the playoffs.

4). I don't know what went wrong in New York because that is where he most wanted to play. But they have been talking about trading him since the second season he was there. And they are going to pay him $21 million to go away.

None of those things do much to build a good reputation for you.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by BassMaster » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:35 am

Well it appears that the title of this topic needs to change. Now the Knicks are reporting that Marbury will report to training camp after all.
IMO it sounds like the Dolan couldn't stomach paying Marbury all of that money for nothing, so what if the Knick fans want him gone. Walsh is now saying that all of the talk about buying out Marbury was just the local press making up their own story line about Marbury.
It really sounds like the Knicks will not get better with Marbury on their team, but they also need to get rid of the worse rated owner in the League as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... NHeadlines
Magicfan94
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by Magicfan94 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:22 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:

You're kidding right?

There is a reason the guy has been basically shelved by every team he's played with.

He was young in Minnesota, so I won't jump on him there. However, is it a coincidence that the Nets and Suns all the sudden get THAT much better when the guy leaves? Is it a coincidence that many coaches and executives are so over the guy because at every stop he constantly bitches about his role in the offense?

Yes Kidd has been a pain in the ass for some teams, but that is countered by the fact that the teams he was on WON.

Return to Orlando Magic