ImageImageImageImage

BS strikes again

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Re: BS strikes again 

Post#21 » by MitchellUK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:31 pm

Whoah, I feel funny......I am agreeing with something Schmitz wrote...
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#22 » by Just Plain Mark » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:51 pm

I agree in part and disagree in part about that last article. I agree Howard needs to do his best maintaining focus (on defense, when he's getting intentionally fouled to try to get him rattled, at the FT line, etc).

But I'm not sure that his smiling or KG's frowing are really indicative of lack of focus or of focus. Remember, KG's basically the same player on the Celtics, only he's got much better players - KG's the same player who's been criticized for taking fade away jumpers in the clutch.

If Howard's goofing off, then he needs to buckle down, but I think people should measure his performance and not his facial expressions. (This reminds of Steve Francis getting credit for being passionate/competitive because he whined and pouted).
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#23 » by MitchellUK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:04 pm

lovehoops01 wrote:
I thought that, but some people here have accused me of thinking I'm smarter than they are, and with the "regular folk'' reference I didn't want anyone to think that I think I'm not "regular folk'' too.
I realize the reference was to Schmitz, not me, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstood.

Not at all, I was including you in the 'regular folk', too :D
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#24 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Just Plain Mark wrote:I agree in part and disagree in part about that last article. I agree Howard needs to do his best maintaining focus (on defense, when he's getting intentionally fouled to try to get him rattled, at the FT line, etc).

But I'm not sure that his smiling or KG's frowing are really indicative of lack of focus or of focus. Remember, KG's basically the same player on the Celtics, only he's got much better players - KG's the same player who's been criticized for taking fade away jumpers in the clutch.

If Howard's goofing off, then he needs to buckle down, but I think people should measure his performance and not his facial expressions. (This reminds of Steve Francis getting credit for being passionate/competitive because he whined and pouted).

Good point. I think Dwight needs to be a little more focused. However I see him getting unfair criticism though for having too playful a personality. Even though he plays with ferocity on the floor.

And talking about Francis, he would wildly wave his hands around and holler telling people to move and such. I always thought it was a phony attempt by Francis to present himself as a leader. I did not buy it. His over the top mannerism did not accomplish much.
aka: prorl
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#25 » by lovehoops01 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:19 pm

I don't think Dwight has to scowl to prove he is serious. KG does a lot of that, but the Magic with Dwight beat KG's Celts twice last season (and Pierce was scowling, too), and they beat his Timberwolves a few times. KG's scowling didn't help there. You need a whole team playing around you, too. Dwight has to be himself, and I think he does a lot of leading off the court.

Dwight just has to avoid those games when he lets the officiating get in his head or he gets frustrated for another reason and lets it affect his game, and he has to remember that the Magic need him to stay focused and play hard in every situation. He can't let it get to him in the heat of a game when things aren't going his way. Really, he does the right things most of the time. That's why it stands out when he does not, and it probably needs to be pointed out to him that Stan doesn't needed to bench him or say anything about it for people to be able to see when he is having one of those games.

Otis and Stan, if you ask me, are doing a good enough trying to hold Dwight accountable. I think Jameer gets in his ear, too. Outside forces pressuring him or LeBron or Kobe or anyone in those situations doesn't make them perform any better.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#26 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:10 pm

"I don’t know how that equates with minutes on the floor," Smith continued. "We’ll see how it shakes out. He’s had a helluva summer."

They've heard that, too. As has Redick himself.

Every one from here to China knows how frustrated J.J. has become, stuck on the bench behind a stable of shooting guards that only picked up more members this offseason. The Magic added free agent Mikael Pietrus and rookie Courtney Lee. Keith Bogans also is ahead of Redick in the pecking order.

Redick asked for a trade last season -- and it's hard to imagine he's really backed off it as he studies the Magic totem pole.

Any plans to deal him, Mr. Smith?

"Not at this point. For one, I like him," Smith said. "I think he can help us. The guys who’ve played in front of him, quite frankly, are what we needed at the time."

Smith then said something a tad intriguing as the Magic head into Tuesday's training camp.

"I think in the next 20-30 days, we’ll see how things shake out," he said.

My vibe from that is Smith might be more apt to deal Redick or Bogans.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports ... no-jj.html

So BS has a vibe.......... :lol:
aka: prorl

Return to Orlando Magic