ImageImageImageImage

OT: Calling Football Fans

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

OT: Calling Football Fans 

Post#1 » by MitchellUK » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 pm

Before we get started, that's real football, where you use your feet 95% of the time, instead of throwing or running the ball :D

Thought it would be cool to have a thread on here for lovers of 'the beautiful game'. Primarily because I live in Toronto and the odds of getting intelligent football related conversation up here are slim (though not impossible, before any irate Torontonians read this).

So, what's on everyones' football brain?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: OT: Calling Football Fans 

Post#2 » by craig01 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Man U sure is having a time of it.

Is that good or bad? (Do people like their failures or do more people like them?)
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
MitchellUK
RealGM

Post#3 » by MitchellUK » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 pm

craig01 wrote:Man U sure is having a time of it.

Is that good or bad? (Do people like their failures or do more people like them?)

I quite like them - I grew up in a rural area, and none of my family were into sport at all, so I naturally supported the team that other kids supported, which fortunately for me was United (I started supporting them in the late 80s when they were pretty mediocre, but by 93 they had become dominant).

Anyway, although I realised the error of my ways when I was in my teens, and switched allegiances to Lincoln City, who are the nearest football club to where I grew and by default my 'home' team (even if, in the grand scheme of things, they royally suck), I still have a soft spot for United. They haven't had a great start to the season, but they started similarly slowly last year and ended up winning the two biggest trophies in Europe. They also have the advantage of getting arguably their two most difficult fixtures (Chelsea and Liverpool away) out of the way in the first month of the season, leaving them with a lighter schedule the rest of the way.

Actually just finished watching them beat Middlesborough in the Carling Cup. 3-1 win was nice, but the lasting memory will be seeing Rodrigo Possebon's leg snap like a toothpick after a horrific challenge by Emanuel Pogatetz. Absolutely appalling tackle, and I hope the guy gets a lengthy ban for it.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Post#4 » by trebone » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:18 pm

my defenition of football is were the players wear pads and beat eachother senseless for the love of the fans and large sums of money!
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#5 » by N4U|Redux » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm

Sorry, Americans don't watch soccer and Europeans don't watch football.

Nice try baiting fans of the more popular sport (of a largely American forum) in here, but I doubt this thread will catch on 8).
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
MitchellUK
RealGM

Post#6 » by MitchellUK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:27 pm

magicfan84 wrote:my defenition of football is were the players wear pads and beat eachother senseless for the love of the fans and large sums of money!

I thought that was hockey....?

Anyway, following my previous post, happy to say that Possebon's leg is not broken (miraculous considering the unnatural position it seemed to twist and bend into). Although they are keeping him in hospital for further tests on his knee, primarily the ligaments.

So are there any other football fans out there? If so, which team, and why?
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#7 » by Just Plain Mark » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:29 pm

I wish I could watch more PL, but Fox Soccer isn't in the budget and I already spend too much time watching the Rays and Magic games. I follow the US Men's National Team and watch MLS on occassion (its just not quality football though).

I really don't have a side in the PL that I support, except for loosely following Fulham since its got so many yanks. I also try to follow guys like Adu, Altidore, Beasley (who basically stinks), etc.
MitchellUK
RealGM

Post#8 » by MitchellUK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:00 pm

Just Plain Mark wrote:I wish I could watch more PL, but Fox Soccer isn't in the budget and I already spend too much time watching the Rays and Magic games. I follow the US Men's National Team and watch MLS on occassion (its just not quality football though).

I really don't have a side in the PL that I support, except for loosely following Fulham since its got so many yanks. I also try to follow guys like Adu, Altidore, Beasley (who basically stinks), etc.

Don't know if Setanta Sports is in your budget or not? $15 a month, and they have loads of British football - Premiership, F.A Cup, Carling Cup, as well as the Scottish Premier League, and the European Champions League. It's pretty incredible value for money (I'm judging that based on the fact that I used to pay close to £20 back home, for fewer games and less overall coverage).

It certainly sucks to be a Lincoln City fan right now - they play in League Two in England, which despite the name is actually the 4th division down. They probably play on TV once or twice per year (at best) back home, but there is no way they will get any coverage over here. I am reduced to reading match reports, which is especially crap when I am generally, at the moment, reading about them losing all the time. Looking forward to heading back over the pond at Christmas, as should be able to catch a game while I am visiting my folks.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#9 » by damo[23] » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Man Utd fan here, and as I am sure everyone will know, Football = Football, American Football = "American Throw the ball, fall over, have a lie down, go sit down for 5 minutes, then come back and play for 40 seconds while 12 other people sit down, and once every so often, take a kick, which is bang in front of the posts, ball".

Man Utd had a rough start to the season, but injuries and some tough games during that period hasnt helped any. Started to play better football and Ronaldo back now should spell trouble for the rest of the league. Also support Brentford, but we dont talk about that much :/
UKMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#10 » by UKMagic » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Sunderland fan here: Hoping Kenwyne Jones gets fit sooner rather than later.
@CraggsNumber1
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#11 » by craig01 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:09 pm

damo[23] wrote:Man Utd fan here, and as I am sure everyone will know, Football = Football, American Football = "American Throw the ball, fall over, have a lie down, go sit down for 5 minutes, then come back and play for 40 seconds while 12 other people sit down, and once every so often, take a kick, which is bang in front of the posts, ball".

Man Utd had a rough start to the season, but injuries and some tough games during that period hasnt helped any. Started to play better football and Ronaldo back now should spell trouble for the rest of the league. Also support Brentford, but we dont talk about that much :/

Or, the American interpretation.....

Watch 11 players on each team, run sometimes, sprint a few times, and in the second half, walk most of the time. LOL

Or, watch some guy get tripped, scrape his knee, and writhe in agony until the guy with the band aid comes out. LOL

Just kidding....I actually enjoy PL in doses. It'll never catch on here as a major sport though.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#12 » by aleZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:19 pm

damo[23] wrote:Man Utd fan here, and as I am sure everyone will know, Football = Football, American Football = "American Throw the ball, fall over, have a lie down, go sit down for 5 minutes, then come back and play for 40 seconds while 12 other people sit down, and once every so often, take a kick, which is bang in front of the posts, ball".

:lol: :lol: :lol: Damo makes every soccer/football thread worth it

Anyway, better change the title to soccer, after all euros are the minority around here, it's like an american running into a soccer bar screaming "switch to ESPN Seperbowl XXVIFXVL", they'd prolly beat him senseless in no time.

BTW, I obviously keep track of SerieA and Champions League, I actually like a couple of PL teams: Liverpool, Man UTD, Arsenal, but have no free time left to watch every game these days. Anyway the CL final is in Rome this year, so the background's gonna look veeery good.
tjm384
Veteran
And1: 36

Post#13 » by tjm384 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:19 pm

Every Sunday i play tackle at the park with a bunch of people
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,137

Post#14 » by magik9113 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:15 am

I love soccer more than anything. Forza Juventus...i follow serie A very closey but I have FSC and GolTV so i toon into a lot of EPL and liga games. And of course champions league.
and don't be silly...it isn't true that americans don't watch soccer.
UCFknight84
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#15 » by UCFknight84 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:18 am

FIFA on xbox 360 got me into soccer, but american football is still number 1 in my books because of the physicality of the game. I hate the flopping in soccer, sometimes there more like actors than players.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
Teddy Roosevelt

Return to Orlando Magic