ImageImageImageImage

What would you trade Turk for ?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Magic.City.23.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Re: What would you trade Turk for ? 

Post#61 » by Magic.City.23. » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:44 pm

The point is that those teams didn't take "baby steps", they made power moves. Like Im saying...... Z-Bo is NOT a leader, and we know that. He is not a franchise player, he is not a guy you build a team around, or you want to mentor young guys, but he is solid NBA player. He has all-star NBA talent. We already have leaders o this team, so there will be no confusion on that end for him. He would be coming in to fill a role, not be a hero like they wanted him to be in NY..... In Portland they thought he could be a franchise player, which he wasnt.... He was getting paid crazy money, so when they landed the #1 pick(Oden) he(and his contract) was expendable. They saw Aldridge/Oden as the future instead Zach/Oden anyways..
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#62 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:11 pm

A player is who a player is. A guy like Randolph is not going to magically change his personality because he is with a Magic team that has good character guys. Randolph doesnt care enough about winning and that is not gonna change. A move for him is not a power move, thats a bad desperation move.
aka: prorl
Magic.City.23.
Bench Warmer

Post#63 » by Magic.City.23. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 am

Fine but it's not like picking up a guy like UD, or Lee, or freakin' Collison is gonna replace what Hedo brings or make us any better..... Those would be a lateral moves... @ best. Dammit, im ready to win now! **** it, we dont need more marginal talent, we need someone who can make a damn impact.... Im sick of all the good character, ohh he has an attitude hes not worthy bull crap... You guys said you wouldn't take JR Smith either... lmao. We'll see how it goes, but we cant take freakin' baby steps forever... Its not always the "good guys" who win, but the guys with the best talent.
lapassione
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#64 » by lapassione » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:54 am

NY has been trying to dump him for nothing and cannot find a buyer, and i am amazed to see someone from magic side wants to send our best playmaker and crunch time player for him.
yes, it would be a power move. to the negative way, to the lottery way!
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#65 » by BassMaster » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:21 am

Magic.City.23. wrote:Fine but it's not like picking up a guy like UD, or Lee, or freakin' Collison is gonna replace what Hedo brings or make us any better..... Those would be a lateral moves... @ best. Dammit, im ready to win now! **** it, we dont need more marginal talent, we need someone who can make a damn impact.... Im sick of all the good character, ohh he has an attitude hes not worthy bull crap... You guys said you wouldn't take JR Smith either... lmao. We'll see how it goes, but we cant take freakin' baby steps forever... Its not always the "good guys" who win, but the guys with the best talent.

Well with all of those "bad guys" I notice the Knicks were a bottom sucking team while the Magic with all those "good guys" won their div and were in the playoffs. Sounds like those baby steps are working then some giant leap that may or may not work. So instead of trading Hedo the Magic should just work on keeping him by offering him an extension.
lapassione
Rookie

Post#66 » by lapassione » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:20 pm

cougar13 wrote: So instead of trading Hedo the Magic should just work on keeping him by offering him an extension.

I agree.
While;
He is happy with his role.
We are happy with his performance.
We need what he brings on the floor.
We have his bird rights.
We probably need him and can pay him more than anyone else.
Why is this fire sale? We are not desperate and hopeless.

Why not just sign him to a 4/5 yr 10-12 M per contract and keep the core?
Magic.City.23.
Bench Warmer

Post#67 » by Magic.City.23. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Because we already have about $120 mil invested in the position..... Is Hedo really gonna be this good for 4-5 more years?????

So 1stly, 4-5 yrs is wayyyy too long for Hedo......3 is good, 4 at most @ like 9-10 would be preffered. he's already 30.

2ndly, wouldn't $12 mil most likely put us in the luxury?? Will mangement go into the luxury for another SF?? Who will be on the decline soon??? Is that wise?? idk

Like ive said in the past, I like Turk as much as the next guy and I have said that we should definitely wait till the deadline to try n resign him, but if push comes to shove(which it looks like it will), then there's not really any good value out right now to be honest..... Im all for waiting it out to try n get better value on the market, but as of now, I was just sayin Z-Bo was the best obtainable talent. UD,most likely off limits(rival)...DLee, D'Antoni likes him & he is the best thing going for the knicks next to Crawford. i dont see him going anywhere. but if they're struggling, maybe D'Antoni might look to move him... I mean, Ben Gordons available(no thx).... AI,waaay too expensive, but a possiblity.... Kirilenko? not a fan, bad fit imo... Lamar Odom,probaly not goin anywhere... Talent wise, Z-bo is the best option next to AI imo.... Im ready for us to make a power move instead of sitting on our *** and taking baby like we did with Grant Hill( and others in the past, ie Shaq). We need to get an edge to our team like other championship teams..... Hopefully CLee or Peitrus can bring that edge, but im tired of these baby steps... We need to make so moves soon. we are soo close that I dont want to see us go backwards and let Hedo go for cheap, or for nothing...
Magic.City.23.
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by Magic.City.23. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:36 pm

lapassione wrote:NY has been trying to dump him for nothing and cannot find a buyer, and i am amazed to see someone from magic side wants to send our best playmaker and crunch time player for him.

NY's tryna dump him to clear cap for LeBron....... Not because they're trying to win. Portland was trying to dump him for the same reason, and because they wanted their young guys to develop... Neither team was in a win now mode ppl....... That's what im saying... Put him on a team thats actually competive, like he was on in college and you might see some positive results. He has never been in that position in the league...... Yes, I send Hedo for him if the next best option is freakin Nick Collinson or nothin at all...... I dont know about you guys, but we could use an impact PF probably just as much as we could use Hedo, if not more.
Wayland The Smith
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#69 » by Wayland The Smith » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:36 pm

If Orlando wants a pf, they should go after Maxiell, Millsap type player.. Randolph's a ball hog. If he comes Orlando, you can be sure he will ruin team's chemistry...
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#70 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Magic.City.23. wrote:Because we already have about $120 mil invested in the position..... Is Hedo really gonna be this good for 4-5 more years?????

So 1stly, 4-5 yrs is wayyyy too long for Hedo......3 is good, 4 at most @ like 9-10 would be preffered. he's already 30.

2ndly, wouldn't $12 mil most likely put us in the luxury?? Will mangement go into the luxury for another SF?? Who will be on the decline soon??? Is that wise?? idk

Like ive said in the past, I like Turk as much as the next guy and I have said that we should definitely wait till the deadline to try n resign him, but if push comes to shove(which it looks like it will), then there's not really any good value out right now to be honest..... Im all for waiting it out to try n get better value on the market, but as of now, I was just sayin Z-Bo was the best obtainable talent. UD,most likely off limits(rival)...DLee, D'Antoni likes him & he is the best thing going for the knicks next to Crawford. i dont see him going anywhere. but if they're struggling, maybe D'Antoni might look to move him... I mean, Ben Gordons available(no thx).... AI,waaay too expensive, but a possiblity.... Kirilenko? not a fan, bad fit imo... Lamar Odom,probaly not goin anywhere... Talent wise, Z-bo is the best option next to AI imo.... Im ready for us to make a power move instead of sitting on our *** and taking baby like we did with Grant Hill( and others in the past, ie Shaq). We need to get an edge to our team like other championship teams..... Hopefully CLee or Peitrus can bring that edge, but im tired of these baby steps... We need to make so moves soon. we are soo close that I dont want to see us go backwards and let Hedo go for cheap, or for nothing...

Magic.City.23. wrote:
lapassione wrote:NY has been trying to dump him for nothing and cannot find a buyer, and i am amazed to see someone from magic side wants to send our best playmaker and crunch time player for him.

NY's tryna dump him to clear cap for LeBron....... Not because they're trying to win. Portland was trying to dump him for the same reason, and because they wanted their young guys to develop... Neither team was in a win now mode ppl....... That's what im saying... Put him on a team thats actually competive, like he was on in college and you might see some positive results. He has never been in that position in the league...... Yes, I send Hedo for him if the next best option is freakin Nick Collinson or nothin at all......I dont know about you guys, but we could use an impact PF probably just as much as we could use Hedo, if not more.

Here are some problems with your Randolph idea. Trading for him is not gonna save the Magic money. Zach is owed 14 mill this year, 16 and 17 mill the next 2 so it doenst really save the Magic money if they are trying to not go too much over the lux tax. Then when the time comes that he wears out his welcome, which will happen quickly, I dont believe that Zach is gonna magically have a change of heart, the Magic are gonna have to take terrible contracts in return to get rid of him, ala Larry Hughes/Ben Wallace trade last year.

Another problem is with taking "baby" steps as you put it is that Dwight is 22 and his offense is still raw. He still is not where he needs to be for the Magic to make him the legit #1 option on offense. His skills still need further development. The Magic are tying to build a team around Dwight for the long haul, for the next 3-4 years. You cant trust a guy like Randolph with his attitude being here in long haul. The Magic need facilitators with Dwight since Nelson is ok in that aspect but not great. Lewis is mostly a scorer. Randolph is the complete opposite of being a facilitator. If Dwight was 30 years old and he was in a KG like situation and the Magic needed to win this year or else then I would be more open in trading for Randolph. Right now our team is not in that situation. Dwight needs teamates that compliment him, that facilitate his game, and can be trusted. People need to be patient because Dwight is still raw.

However despite Dwight being raw, the 3 headed monster of Dwight, Hedo and Lewis created major mismatches and as a result won the division, 52 games, and made the second round for the first time since 1996 despite having terrible bigman depth and sporting one of the worst 2 guard rotations in the league. The team was forced to play small ball all the time because of the injuries to Battie and the lack of competent bench depth. One major thing that was lacking was the ability to go big and matchup at times when it was needed. With Battie returning, Gortat making his emergence, and Cook being around all season should help that quite a bit. Adding Pietrus and Lee is an instant upgrade at a SG position that was bottoms in the league in terms of production, explosiveness and perimeter defense, all 3 which should be quite improved. I say give the current team a chance, atleast half the season with Hedo to show what it can do with the added versatility that was not present last year. I believe we are not as far away with the current team as you think. The way the team is constructed I think we can get by with PF patchwork. If San Antonio and Boston can win titles with Oberto and Perkins starting, it shows its doable.
aka: prorl
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,454

Post#71 » by Bensational » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Magic.City.23. wrote:Because we already have about $120 mil invested in the position..... Is Hedo really gonna be this good for 4-5 more years?????

i don't buy the "120mil invested in the position" argument. because from what i've seen the 15 odd mil we're payin Lewis is, for the majority, for him to play PF. and from what i saw last season, we did alright. the only time when Lewis was outmatched it showed, but does that mean we need the equivlanet of Lewis/Hedo who plays PF? first of all, how many teams actually have that? or rather, how many teams have that player AND have a C the quality of Dwight?

basically, we've got one SUPER strong post presence in Dwight, and all we need is good role players around that for the times that Lewis can't hit the glass and his offense is being stifled - which isn't very often.

also - signing Hedo to a 12mil contract will put us over the luxury tax next season - yes. but Battie's contract is due to come up after that, and as far as i'm concerned he doesn't deserve that at all. his 5/6mil per + Hedo's 5/6mil per would equal the 10-12mil Hedo will want for 4-5 years, and we wouldn't be over the luxury tax. enter a few role players signed for the LLE who are capable of playing the role i described (like a Millsap/Landry type role) and you've got a team that's proven to be competitive in the regular season and addresses some of the holes that were revealed in the post season.

in short, i think Lewis/Hedo at the 4/3 is pretty key to this team's success. it could be what makes us better than other teams - and it certainly was the reason that we dropped W's on the Celtics and Pistons last year.

Return to Orlando Magic