ImageImageImageImage

Hedo "Hard To Tell If I'm Staying or Leaving"

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,516

Hedo "Hard To Tell If I'm Staying or Leaving" 

Post#1 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:29 am

Six days before the opening of the Magic's training camp, small forward Hedo Turkoglu, the league's most improved player last season, talked about heading into perhaps his last season with the team.

Turk indicated he will opt out of his contract --- which runs through 2009-10 --- after this season. He'll explore free agency if the Magic don't re-sign him.

"It's hard to tell if I'm staying or leaving," he told me Tuesday.

For more on Turkoglu --- and the Magic's view of the situation --- click onto Magicbasketblog on Wednesday.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports ... glu-h.html
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
Force9024
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Hedo "Hard To Tell If I'm Staying or Leaving" 

Post#2 » by Force9024 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:39 am

Wow.. The only positive I see from this is Hedo playing his heart out to get his last big contract.. The downfall is whether or not we open up the checkbook for Hedo after he plays his heart out. This sucks to hear he is planning on opting out. You'd hope he might play out his contract and hopefully be apart of something great. good find tho Diplomatic.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach

Post#3 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:41 am

Force9024 wrote:Wow.. The only positive I see from this is Hedo playing his heart out to get his last big contract.. The downfall is whether or not we open up the checkbook for Hedo after he plays his heart out. This sucks to hear he is planning on opting out. You'd hope he might play out his contract and hopefully be apart of something great. good find tho dwightmeer.

WHO???
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
El_Magico
Veteran

Post#4 » by El_Magico » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:41 am

Not trying to stir up any trouble but why couldn't this have gone into that other Hedo thread?
Kevin Durant tweeted:
"I wanna see Brian Scalabrine, Adonal Foyle, Fabricio Oberto and Zydrunas Ilgauskas in the dunk contest"
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach

Post#5 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:43 am

El_Magico wrote:Not trying to stir up any trouble but why couldn't this have gone into that other Hedo thread?

I thought the quote was thread-worthy. And not much ppl are gonna look in that other Hedo thread. At least I didn't because there's one of those threads every week.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
El_Magico
Veteran

Post#6 » by El_Magico » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:54 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:
El_Magico wrote:Not trying to stir up any trouble but why couldn't this have gone into that other Hedo thread?

I thought the quote was thread-worthy. And not much ppl are gonna look in that other Hedo thread. At least I didn't because there's one of those threads every week.

Good enough, carry on :wink:

Anyways like I said in that other thread, I would hate to lose Hedo but I would hate it even more to lose him for nothing.
Kevin Durant tweeted:
"I wanna see Brian Scalabrine, Adonal Foyle, Fabricio Oberto and Zydrunas Ilgauskas in the dunk contest"
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#7 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:59 am

None of us should be surprised. Not like he pulled a G-Hill and said he'd stay with us for the league minimum then dashed out the door to Phoenix. :rofl:

I can't see Hedo topping last season's performance. If he did, expect hefty contract offer that would almost be improbable to match without really going over that luxury tax.

But keep in mind, the man wants to win. Don't expect him to jump ship for a team unlikely to be able to compete in the postseason.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Force9024
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Force9024 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:04 am

My bad Diplomatic, I fixed it. I just got done reading dwightmeers thread and immediately switched over here when i had seen it, my bad... either way good find :D
Mannchild
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 272

Post#9 » by Mannchild » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 am

El_Magico wrote:I would hate to lose Hedo but I would hate it even more to lose him for nothing.

:nod:
Force9024
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Force9024 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:12 am

El_Magico wrote: I would hate to lose Hedo but I would hate it even more to lose him for nothing

Remind you of someone...

The Magic didn't trade him ultimately because they thought he would stick around for the minimum, and because of his good standing at the time with the franchise. We ended up with a boat load of cap which brought us Rashard Lewis but still lost Hill for nothing in a sense..

Obviously Hedo is no Grant Hill situation, and I knock on wood thousands of times for probably cursing..

Waits for the bashing .... :box: :box:

OH YEAH AND HOW ABOUT THIS GUY WHO WE LOST FOR NOTHING...

lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#11 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:24 am

Well, I can't say I'm surprised that he would say that. At least you have to say that Hedo is honest. Nice teaser by Schmitz, though. He knows you'll come back to read that.

Look at it from Hedo's perspective. He knows he is going to get a good payday from someone. Dooling and DeShawn left because they couldn't even get a midlevel exception deal so he has to wonder if the Magic will pay him big bucks. Especially when some people think Rashard should be switched to the 3.

Apparently, they either haven't begun to talk about an extension or are far apart in talks.

Plus, you guys spend all day and all night talking about trading him, and he has been overseas all summer. He probably wonders why there is all that talk if anyone he knows looks at this site or asks him about it.

I can't say I like the thought of Hedo leaving because I think he is more versatile than anyone the Magic have had except T-Mac (not as good as Mac, but he is pretty much as versatile). But if they don't intend to re-sign him, then they definitely need to get something good for him. I'd rather he stay, but they can't let him walk and get nothing back for the long term. They are over the cap now and don't have the money to replace his talent if he walks. That would be worse than anyone they let walk except for Shaq (couldn't really win in that situation) and Grant (who has the same agent so it kind of makes you wonder if that guy just wants to get all his guys out of Orlando). Garrity had the same agent, too (so does Foyle for that matter so maybe not).

I've got to ask, though....Why is that the first question that gets asked even before the Magic open training camp? Doesn't bode too well for the start of camp if that is going to be the main topic of conversation all season.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#12 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:30 am

This is expected, but disheartening.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#13 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:27 am

Tell them how much you want Hedo, then you will know if youre staying or not..... i hope he stays, and hope that he realizes he can do some damage with this team, and be in the playoffs every year and make some noise, it will suck to lose him if he decides to go for money, but its business....
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
lapassione
Rookie

Post#14 » by lapassione » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:40 am

he has to opt out of his contract to get his last contract. financially, there's no other option for him.
the fact that;
-he likes orlando- he very much likes his role in the team right now
-orlando needs him more than any other team
-orlando can give more money than any other team

i'd be very surprised if otis doesnt keep him (either trade or let walk with low offer)
i think its a sure bet that we will see him in magic uniform at least 5 more years.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#15 » by damo[23] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 am

This is fine for the moment, since its an article based thread, so news really. If it becomes bigger or cross's over I will merge though.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#16 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:53 am

Asked if the Magic could afford Turkoglu at an average of $10 million a season -- given the punitive luxury tax -- Smith said, "Anything is doable if you want to remain competitive. It's a matter of how creative we can get as it relates to his contract. I'm not sure how the numbers will come in."

That part scares me. I cringe when Otis says they have to get "creative".
aka: prorl
El_Magico
Veteran

Post#17 » by El_Magico » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:12 pm

prorl wrote:
Asked if the Magic could afford Turkoglu at an average of $10 million a season -- given the punitive luxury tax -- Smith said, "Anything is doable if you want to remain competitive. It's a matter of how creative we can get as it relates to his contract. I'm not sure how the numbers will come in."

That part scares me. I cringe when Otis says they have to get "creative".

Yeah, last time he got "creative" we lost Darko for nothing, he overpaid for Shard and on top of that he did a sign and trade for him, giving him even more money and an extra year.
Kevin Durant tweeted:
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#18 » by damo[23] » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:04 pm

El_Magico wrote:Yeah, last time he got "creative" we lost Darko for nothing, he overpaid for Shard and on top of that he did a sign and trade for him, giving him even more money and an extra year.

Hey thats pretty creative, I dont think any of us could have thought of that ...

Well all I say with Hedo is if it looks like we wont resign - and at the end of the day that decision needs to be made b4 the end of this year, we need to be activily shopping him - use it, dont lose it.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#19 » by MagicalMan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:14 pm

just front load his contract so the luxury tax hit wont be as bad years down the road.
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#20 » by Magicalltheway » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:18 pm

Otis said he is going to know before Feb deadline. besides Dwight I think Hedo is our most important player. If he is asking for 10mil/yr I dont see why we wouldnt resign him.

Return to Orlando Magic