ImageImageImageImage

So basically all Howard needs on offense is two moves.

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Pancho_Pantera
Banned User
And1: 5

So basically all Howard needs on offense is two moves. 

Post#1 » by Pancho_Pantera » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:56 am

The hook shot and that spin he does to his right. I don't know how he continues to get away with his spin move since it's so predictable but he's been effective more than ever. The best thing I like about his game is his hook shot has improved dramatically. Plus he has gotten a lot better in getting post position for the entry past, and even when he is a bit outside the box, he has gotten really good in backing down his opponent. I'm impressed with the strides he has made in his post game and now I feel confident having him take big shots in the fourth quarter. His passing/awareness from the post has improved but I still think he can get better. A lot of people want him to have a jump shot but he continues to establish himself as a back to the basket player.
OMPunk
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Re: So basically all Howard needs on offense is two moves. 

Post#2 » by OMPunk » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:08 am

There have been plenty of dominant post players without a jump shot or strong mid range game. I am more then ok with Dwight being the player he is. I would much rather Dwight pump fake more (ala the Dream) then be able to shoot a jumper.

I seriously doubt we will ever see Dwight taking 3 pointers in the playoffs like Duncan is doing.
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#3 » by drsd » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:08 am

Howard looks to be developing a very effective half-hook shot. That looks to be is signature move.

But, a 10 foot baseline-jumper would lead to a dominant three-shot arsenal.

Power-dunk, half-hook, short jumper: That is a Ewing- and Olajuwon-type offensive repertoire.

Howard will get 10 points a game for the rest of his a career on put-back dunks. Add 10 points on power moves, 6 points on hook shots, and 4 points on baseline jumpers, Howard would be a 30 ppg guy. (FT totals inclusive to those numbers).
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#4 » by MagicStarwipe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:20 am

Plus he is pump faking and using an up and under move now. He's getting there.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#5 » by fendilim » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:10 am

I noticed the up and under move last game, glad to see Patrick adding more arsenals for Dwight.

But to say that Dwight doesn't need to improve his outside shot is illogical, IMO.

Lots of factors into this, Dwight is not a gifted scorer. Two, he is a little short against most of the players in his position. His game is basically based on athleticism right now. If he comes of age, he'll wont be able to dunk on people anymore.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,414

Post#6 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:51 am

he gets away with the spin move because the defender is trying to stay with Dwight and brace for contact. They get stuck in the mud so to speak. Dwight makes them think he's going toward the middle, and as they brace for the bump, their legs lock up so Dwight is able to spin the other direction. Very effective. However, when a player reads that he's going to spin it's not as effective and Dwight has to take a poor shot.

I'm really disappointed that Dwight didn't take more jumpers this year. At the start of the year he was taking 1-2 a game, and he was making some of em. Then all of a sudden it disappeared again.
DrunkOnMystery
Starter
And1: 0

Post#7 » by DrunkOnMystery » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:53 am

drsd wrote:Howard looks to be developing a very effective half-hook shot. That looks to be is signature move.

But, a 10 foot baseline-jumper would lead to a dominant three-shot arsenal.

Power-dunk, half-hook, short jumper: That is a Ewing- and Olajuwon-type offensive repertoire.

Howard will get 10 points a game for the rest of his a career on put-back dunks. Add 10 points on power moves, 6 points on hook shots, and 4 points on baseline jumpers, Howard would be a 30 ppg guy. (FT totals inclusive to those numbers).

I agree that Dwight should always focus primarily on a power post game, which at this point is virtually a lost art form in the NBA. The hesitation up and under move is a good variation of the baseline spin banking layup he's been shooting all year. I don't think Dwight gets nearly enough credit for some of his smaller developments (like his off-hand development from year to year, for instance).

However, if Dwight were ever able to develop a reliable 10-12' face up bank shot, he'd pretty much have free run of the league. He's already the quickest center in the NBA, and such a bank shot would force opposing centers to guard him tight. Up-fake on the bankshot: if the defender stays home, shoot it over their heads. If they close out on it, blow past them. Additionally, the variety of options for Dwight would help keep opposing teams' help defenders and double-teamers off balance.

Once we get that, all we'll need is for people to start actually cutting away from the ball, and we'll be good to go.
Captain Obvious
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Captain Obvious » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:04 pm

He has a couple of decent moves. I'd like to see him continue to work on the 10-12 ft bank shot and the baby hook. Also, he really needs to stop trying to go baseline.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#9 » by CourtsideTV » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:07 pm

all i wanna say is...stan van gundy needs to go..we need to replace him with doc rivers, johnny davis, or brianhill
Work Hard
DHoward4Mvp
Starter

Post#10 » by DHoward4Mvp » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:39 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:he gets away with the spin move because the defender is trying to stay with Dwight and brace for contact. They get stuck in the mud so to speak. Dwight makes them think he's going toward the middle, and as they brace for the bump, their legs lock up so Dwight is able to spin the other direction. Very effective. However, when a player reads that he's going to spin it's not as effective and Dwight has to take a poor shot.

I'm really disappointed that Dwight didn't take more jumpers this year. At the start of the year he was taking 1-2 a game, and he was making some of em. Then all of a sudden it disappeared again.

What games were you watching?? I think he attempted exactly 5 jumpshots, the Tim Duncan bank off the glass.
But this summer, no USA Basketball for him so he will be able to just put work into his post game for extended hours... Hes going to be a monster next year...
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#11 » by MagicHolland » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Pancho_Pantera wrote:The hook shot and that spin he does to his right. I don't know how he continues to get away with his spin move since it's so predictable but he's been effective more than ever. The best thing I like about his game is his hook shot has improved dramatically. Plus he has gotten a lot better in getting post position for the entry past, and even when he is a bit outside the box, he has gotten really good in backing down his opponent. I'm impressed with the strides he has made in his post game and now I feel confident having him take big shots in the fourth quarter. His passing/awareness from the post has improved but I still think he can get better. A lot of people want him to have a jump shot but he continues to establish himself as a back to the basket player.

Part of this is because he's so far being played 1-1 in this series and he's sure taking advantage of that..
DHoward4Mvp
Starter

Post#12 » by DHoward4Mvp » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:39 pm

^^^^ Exactly.... And Sammy D isnt the most physical player out there....And Theo Ratliff, is what, 53 years old???
Just keep improving Dwight, its pretty much all we can ask for. And i say hes doing a hell of a job improving...
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#13 » by Last Guardian » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:48 pm

He has shown more than those two moves. The up and under, step through, a couple pump fakes, etc. He is showing a lot in this series.

I certainly won't complain about it, but I am a little confused. Towards the end of the season he looked pretty bad offensively, and suddenly he has this arsenal of post moves? Perhaps he was saving it all for the playoffs so that no one would be prepared to guard him.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#14 » by damo[23] » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Alot of good points.

While it would be fantastic for that face up shot to come on, and to get some confidence in it, I think the next step he can take is the fake - so many times I feel he could just fake and get the guy off his feet and thats the battle won.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#15 » by glennathan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:18 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:all i wanna say is...stan van gundy needs to go..we need to replace him with doc rivers, johnny davis, or brianhill

missing the green font are we??
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#16 » by N4U|Redux » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:43 pm

glennathan wrote:
CourtsideTV wrote:all i wanna say is...stan van gundy needs to go..we need to replace him with doc rivers, johnny davis, or brianhill

wtf is "the green font" supposed to mean?

i didn't get the TPS report somewhere along the way.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#17 » by glennathan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:04 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:
glennathan wrote:

wtf is "the green font" supposed to mean?

i didn't get the TPS report somewhere along the way.

green font is to represent sarcasm. I thought that Courtside was being sarcastic and that he forgot the green font.

We did send out the TPS reports through email this time. N4U did you not get the email??
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#18 » by N4U|Redux » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:13 pm

glennathan wrote:green font is to represent sarcasm. I thought that Courtside was being sarcastic and that he forgot the green font.

We did send out the TPS reports through email this time. N4U did you not get the email??

Thanks, rofl, I finally know what it means! :cry: :)
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:25 pm

I really would like Dwight to keep working on his Tim Duncan banker. It would make his offensive game so much scarier. I have no idea why he doesn't try it more often. Atleast throw it in once or twice a game.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 329

Post#20 » by trebone » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 pm

if he can get himself to a 75-80% free throw shooter those 2 moves alone will bring him another 4 ppg on his season averages

Return to Orlando Magic