ImageImageImageImage

I will seriously be sick

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

christian72589
Banned User
And1: 1

I will seriously be sick 

Post#1 » by christian72589 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:12 am

If the Cavs do in fact meet the Lakers in the Finals....

It would in my mind solidify the notion that the NBA is as believeable as the WWE and i will probably stop watching.

Not saying this should be an impossibility, but how in the world do you start having discussions on ESPN 2 months before the preseason STARTS... and then have countless commercials hyping a Lebron/Kobe finals during the semi and quarter finals for the conferences?

A lot of you will probably disagree with me, but something seems very off now-a-days... and i think stern hasn't done a very good job of denying it.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Re: I will seriously be sick 

Post#2 » by rcklsscognition » Fri May 15, 2009 8:16 am

I will be sick if we're not playing in the finals. At least the Cavs and Lakers don't suck and aren't extreme long shots to win.
darthkiller
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#3 » by darthkiller » Fri May 15, 2009 9:52 am

oh sure, 2 team with the best record in the league meet in the final? no way that makes sense.
christian72589
Banned User

Post#4 » by christian72589 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:03 am

like i said, it shouldn't be an impossibility, but how is it that NONE of cleveland's games have even been close?

Are you really saying that you think they are that good?

BTW what i am referring to is the discussion of who needs home court more between LA and CLE months before the playoffs began on ESPN and the jockriding of the cavs all season along with the immense amount of advertisement of either team throughout the course of the season till now.
goflyakite
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by goflyakite » Fri May 15, 2009 11:15 am

If the Magic survive this series, they will be very dangerous for Clev. Not only would it mean the team has taken that step as a playoff tested team (after wrestling the dirtics), but we know we can beat the Cavs...more confidence against them than against the Celts, I believe.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,993

Post#6 » by p0peye » Fri May 15, 2009 11:34 am

christian72589 wrote:Are you really saying that you think they are that good?

To sweep Pistons and Hawks, by all means.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Post#7 » by Bensational » Fri May 15, 2009 12:22 pm

as far as the hype and advertisements, it's pretty simple - the 2 most "sellable" players are LBJ and Kobe. the league's popularity isn't at its highest, and hasn't really been up there since Jordan left, so Stern is clinging to the marketability of these two.

i don't think any dodgy officiating is a result of Stern passing down Vince McMahon style scripts, i think it's more a case of the refs themselves buying into the hype that the (Please Use More Appropriate Word) commentators spit. for example, they buy into the idea that one team is more "physical" than another, and so they let some plays slide for one and not the other because it's "in character" for one and not for the other.

the league wouldn't have any answer if the Magic demonstrated night in and night out that they're the better team, but the sad truth is, they haven't done that. they get sloppy and let teams catch up, or they just don't put in effort from the beginning and spend the rest of the game trying to climb out of a hole.

finally, with the league's highest allstar vote getter, i don't think Stern would be too disappointed if the Magic made the finals.
magicburt
Junior

Post#8 » by magicburt » Fri May 15, 2009 12:46 pm

N. Nothing
B. But
A. Actors

These refs have been controling much of what happens for years. They really need a replay system in place that works. Even in the Magic/Boston match up, we get calls when they want us to win and othertimes (see game 5), they hand all the important calls over to Boston. I just hope they let us play in game 7.
Da_James_Gang
Junior

Post#9 » by Da_James_Gang » Fri May 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Omg what a surprise, another conspiracy.... :roll: Stern helped the Cavs coast through the first two rounds and made sure the Celtics/Magic series went 7 to tire them out. They helped Lebron shoot over 53% in the playoffs and average a near triple double. And they also helped the Cavs hold their opponents to 78ppg in the playoffs. I never knew Stern was so eager to help out the city of Cleveland, such a big market. Seriously give them some damn credit, they are playing great ball. I never saw so many whiners. You guys have a good team, stop worrying about other stuff that is far from set.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#10 » by MitchellUK » Fri May 15, 2009 1:43 pm

I don't get it - top seeds in each conference make the finals and there would be a problem? Both of these teams won over 60 games for a reason. Cleveland have been fantastic so far in these playoffs, and while the Lakers have coasted against Houston, who have put up an admirable effort against them, there is no doubt who is the better team. Now, both face tougher tests in the next round (assuming L.A gets through), but if they were to win their conference finals why would that be a problem?

While I agree that the teams with bigger reputations and superstar players often get the benefit of 50-50 and ticky-tack calls, the fact is that the NBA referees are far more incompetent than they are conspiratorial.
orlandomike
Starter
And1: 53

Post#11 » by orlandomike » Fri May 15, 2009 1:58 pm

They hype it becuase it would be interesting, Kobe vs. Lebron.

But those 2 meeting is by no means written in stone.

Personally, I think Denver iscoming out of the West and though Cleveland has the upperhand (not losing a game yet but having to lose 4 in the next series?) Either Boston or the Magic could beat them. Clevland has certainly benefitted with the easier playoff schedule.
My 2 cents is worth 5 cents.
magicburt
Junior

Post#12 » by magicburt » Fri May 15, 2009 2:57 pm

LeBron is number 1 in FT attempts. Dwight is number 2.

LeBron has played in 8 games and has 105 FT Attempts.
Dwight has played in 12 games and only has 101 FT Attempts.

Hell, Kobe only has 75 in in 11 games. You can not tell me he is that much better than Kobe.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#13 » by Gerhalt11 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:02 pm

Have you been watching these Cavs games? The Hawks and Pistons could have been bribing the refs out of their own pockets and they still would have gotten blown out. Bron is playing out of his mind, Mo and Z are hitting shots, it's all coming together beautifully. As a Magic fan, it sickens me, but as an NBA fan, it's actually a wonderful thing to watch.

Is Cleveland that good? Of course they are.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#14 » by Gerhalt11 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:03 pm

magicburt wrote:LeBron is number 1 in FT attempts. Dwight is number 2.

Hell, Kobe only has 75 in in 11 games. You can not tell me he is that much better than Kobe.

He's better at driving to the basket. You bet he is.
hadzilla
Ballboy

Post#15 » by hadzilla » Fri May 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote:
magicburt wrote:LeBron is number 1 in FT attempts. Dwight is number 2.

He's better at driving to the basket. You bet he is.

Are you afraid of being shunned for your blatant objectivity?

I wish all posters could see past their personal biases.

Thank you sir for reminding me why I joined this board.
christian72589
Banned User

Post#16 » by christian72589 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:47 pm

All i am saying is...

1)that it isn't that hard to "play out of your mind" when you get a tweet everytime you go to the rim whether or not you make the shot

2) LBJ was the MVP 2 weeks into the season (according to any media source)

3)You can sweep teams all you like... i just don't see how the cavs are SO good that they have won every game by nearly 20 pts.

4) It would just be funny how the celtics were alllll over everything last season and won the championship; Now cleveland has been all over everything and then they win it????

BTW cavs fan... when almost every shot you take is underneath the basket or through driving to the rim, it isn't that hard to shoot a high percentage, especially when you get the foul called nearly everytime you do so.
Da_James_Gang
Junior

Post#17 » by Da_James_Gang » Sat May 16, 2009 12:25 am

Gerhalt11 wrote:Have you been watching these Cavs games? The Hawks and Pistons could have been bribing the refs out of their own pockets and they still would have gotten blown out. Bron is playing out of his mind, Mo and Z are hitting shots, it's all coming together beautifully. As a Magic fan, it sickens me, but as an NBA fan, it's actually a wonderful thing to watch.

Is Cleveland that good? Of course they are.

^^Thank you

From most of these posts i can tell they haven't been watching the games. You get foul calls when you drive the basket at will and the guy has been shooting great from all over the floor. The other guy cries about foul shots and how Bron is leading the playoffs in attempts. Well guess what he should be. If you have been watching the games this guy has been attacking at will but his jump shot has been on too which is why he has been almost unstoppable so far. Howard lead the league in attempts during the regular season while Lebron was 4th. You see us complaining, no. Lebron has stepped it up and is going to his bread and butter in the playoffs. He is almost unstoppable getting to the rim. Do i expect Lebron to keep hitting most of his jumpshots like he has been. No, but the guy has been great. When i see people hate about refs and stuff, its obvious they haven't been watching the games. I can tell you watched but i'm tired of these other complainers who are probably very young and barely watch other games outside of their own team. Then they cry about a team getting attention, if you are number one in the league you are gonna get a lot of exposure. Its just complete hate, it always happens to teams in the spotlight i guess. I should know better to even debate a thread like this lol. Ever since the refs scandal everything is a conspiracy according to these kids.

I also would like to see how you would react if you had the splotlight on you. You would probably be annoyed with all the bs that comes with it. When the media is all over your team it makes you an easy target for threads like these. I would rather us fly under the radar.
christian72589
Banned User

Post#18 » by christian72589 » Sat May 16, 2009 3:40 am

So anyone that feels that lebron and in turn the Cavaliers get preferrential treatment all must be kids?

Maybe you "adults" need to put two and two together to realize that there is something in it for the league to market a player like James and make him out to be the next Jordan (who also got a lot of preferrential treatment).

The league cannot do that really until he wins a championship and has unbelievable stats.

For you "adults" to suggest that what i am saying is impossible is foolish. "james DA king" excuse me for offending your mature tastes and non-biased view. You all are so rediculous. All it takes is for someone to disagree with you now they are full of hate?

I don't even know if my team will meet the cavs, but i guarantee that when we start losing games by 10, 15, 20 pts because of a lebron parade at the FT line and all of our key players being in foul trouble all series, you same "adults" will agree with me.

One more thing... People like you "james DA king" ruin boards like this because this is all you have to hold on to in life so you try to put people down by calling them "kids" and saying that everyone that won't bend over for lebron is hateful. Check yourself sir, this is just a basketball website and no, you are not better than anyone because you can type.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#19 » by NEM » Sat May 16, 2009 6:16 am

i will be sick if KG somehow makes a miraculous return and leads the celtics to a title
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#20 » by lovehoops01 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:24 am

I will say this....LeBron has been as good this season as I expected him to be after all the hype he had when he entered the league.

I would say that he has been almost twice as good this season as any other season he has been in the league. I know that's a lot, but he's been hitting his 3-pointers very well in the postseason, and he wasn't good at that at all last season. And he's hitting his free throws more frequently, too. He is driving to the basketball like a freight train, so strong that I can't believe how hard he goes a lot of times. I'm actually surprised that he doesn't get called for an offensive foul sometimes. He also does get away too often with that "crab dribble'' and sometimes travels to get those drives. But even without all that, his game has taken a huge jump since last season. I'd say that you might question some of his teammates' games, but not LeBron's.

I'll admit....I do find it kind of fishy when the two teams that are heavily promoted all season as the best teams in their conferences end up going to the Finals like they did last season. But I think the conference finals will be good this season.

Return to Orlando Magic