ImageImageImageImage

How to SHUT DOWN LBJ & CRABS (Official Dummies Guide)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

How to SHUT DOWN LBJ & CRABS (Official Dummies Guide) 

Post#1 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:36 am

ok guys you know the drill.....due to popular demand (not really but anyway)....IT'S BACK !

So let's continue in the EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS with a new opponent !

Trying to shutdown Lebron is pretty much impossible, but let's imagine !! (and pray :pray: )

So let's try to post all the info we can find on what the CRABaliers like to run at end of game situation, coming out of timeouts, and general trends they like to do on offense/defense !

Since this is the official how to shut down cleveland x's and o's thread, so to make it legit, we need ANSWRZ!!11!

we arent SVG's coaching staff (and only realgm amateurs!!) but we are dedicated fans !!

(btw cavs fans I'm half jokingly around I got a lot of respect for Lebron and the Cavs)
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
magicfan4life05
RealGM

Re: How to SHUT DOWN LBJ & CRABS (Official Dummies Guide) 

Post#2 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:36 am

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com ... submit.y=0

Pistons Defense Lets them Down in Series Sweep

I watched a couple of halves of the Cleveland Cavaliers versus Detroit Pistons series. While on the one hand, certainly Lebron James and the Cavs looked invincible -- to me, I felt that the Pistons really just didn't play good enough defense. They had the right idea to double-team Lebron James, but they just didn't commit themselves enough to the double-teams and proper rotations. If you don't commit yourselves completely to a defensive strategy, it doesn't stand a chance to succeed.

I took a few sequences from last night's game in the second half. The double-teams come but they're just too soft and non-committal. Another major problem was double-teaming some of the other Cavs players, rotating off of Lebron James. Take a look,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxA_9gc ... r_embedded

In trying to trap Lebron James on the pick and roll, the weakside must rotate to take away the roll. Anderson Varejao sets the screen, the Pistons choose to double-team Lebron, Varejao rolls to the basket.

You can see the 2 pistons defenders trapping, and the 2 down low. Now, you don't want the corner defender to rotate down because that would leave a wide open 3-pointer. So Antonio McDyess is the one that is supposed to rotate down, he's just too slow to do that.

Summary:

At the moment, the Cavs certainly look like the team to beat throughout this playoffs, as they've improved their lineup especially with better outside shooting. In other words, the packline defense against the Cavs won't work anymore. But I'm looking forward to seeing what a good defensive team can do against the Cavs. If/when the Lakers face the Cavs, they have the kind of team that can double and rotate quick enough.

As for the Pistons, it is somewhat surprising how far they have fallen, especially considering their dominance defensively the past few years. While defense wasn't the only reason why they lost this series, it certainly was a major contributing factor, then again, we'll see if any team will be able to stop the Cavs as they go through these playoffs.

For more info on trapping defenses, take a look at Roy Williams's DVD on his Scramble Defense. Coach Williams is the head coach of the 2009 National Champion UNC Tar Heels. As always, head over to the X's and O's Basketball forum to talk with other coaches about your favorite basketball topics.

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
magicfan4life05
RealGM

Post#3 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:36 am

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com ... submit.y=0

Emphasizing Tempo and Pace from Stan Van Gundy

From yesterday's game between the Orlando Magic against the Cleveland Cavaliers. I caught this clip just because I think tempo and pace is extremely important in your preparation for a game. The Cavs were playing their second straight road game and so naturally they were tired. The Magic were slightly rested and playing at home. Therefore, the Magic would run away with this game if they stepped on the gas at every opportunity possible, which is what they did, and they went on to win the game. In this ESPN Wired segment, Coach Stan Van Gundy is reminding his players to keep pushing, not to allow their defense to setup, and to move the ball,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIWyvZCL ... r_embedded

The Magic are a fast team, but they are far from Phoenix Suns or Golden State Warriors fast. Still, knowing when to turn it up and when to turn it down is an important part of preparing for each every game. I remember one coaching year when our athletically superior team played against a mediocre team, but somehow the score was always close and we even lost one game. The other team would slow the game down, use the entire shot clock and played a soft 2-3 zone. Later in the year during the playoffs we played the same team and this time we dictated the tempo, we pushed on every rebound, turnover, and made basket, and we won in a rout. However, later in the same playoffs, we faced another team that was much quicker and even more athletic than we were. We tried running with them but ended up losing by 20. Moral of the story, know when to turn it up or turn it down.

Summary:

The Final Four is tonight, but I'm also really looking forward to the NBA Playoffs. The East is definitely where the big action will be this year. The Magic and the Cavs appear poised to meet in the Eastern Conference finals (although Boston, Miami, and Atlanta will have something to say about that). Based on how they look today, I still say Cavs in 7, but it's going to be really close.

Looking for ways to increase tempo and get to 100 points? Take a look at The Century Scoring System a DVD from Doug Porter on ways to increase possessions and get high-percentage shots. Discuss this and the rest of your favorite basketball topics at the X's and O's Basketball Forum.

AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#4 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon May 18, 2009 3:42 am

I think the dumbed down version of this thread is:
1. Force LeBron to score with his jumper and keep him as far away from that basket as possible. If he's on fire, then so be it.
2. Don't double the king, Hedo tends to do semi-well against LeCrab (plus we have Mike and Leeses to throw at him). He can average 50 points in this series and we'll win as long as we're doing good jobs on everyone else on the court.
3. Play with no fear. We just went through hell and somehow by the grace of God himself came out on top. We know we can beat the Cavs and we know that LeBron himself wanted to play Boston over us.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
magicfan4life05
RealGM

Post#5 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:46 am

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot.com ... ebron.html

Lakers Show How to Contain Lebron

From yesterday, the epic Kobe vs Lebron battle, the Lakers against the Cavaliers in Cleveland. I was disappointed by the Cavs, I thought they would play with more emotion but it turned out the Lakers were the hungrier team. Kobe made some unbelievable plays, and he apparently had the flu to boot. And despite all that, the Cavs were just a few plays from tying and winning the game.

I thought the Lakers did a decent job defending Lebron. I think they could've been even better, but given Lebron's 5-for-20, 16 point statline, it was a good enough to win. The whole key with Lebron is to force him to give the ball up or smother him with numbers. The Cavs have the depth to hurt you if you do that, but relatively speaking, that is the best option. Here were 2 sequences that I though really showed what the Lakers were trying to do, to overload the strong-side,

sorry no youtube :(

Create a Numbers Advantage:

Just some pictures. In a straight up situation, you overload on the strong-side wherever Lebron has the ball, and the other players zone up behind. It's just a numbers game. It's like in football, when you play against a tough runner, you load up the box with 8 players. Yes you sacrifice some in your pass coverage, but you've got to do something to stop the freight train coming at you,

Hedge and Contain:

Usually when you hedge a ball screen, the hedger has to recover as quickly as possible to his original check to prevent a pass to a basket cut or a pop out jumper. Against Lebron, the Lakers hedge, then they stay and contain. They basically take their chances with Ilgauskas or Varejao, in this case Ilgauskas is wide open,

Summary:

The Lakers look like a team on a mission right now. They definitely will miss Andrew Bynum but I think the team they have now is good enough to win it all, in fact I felt that way last year too. They had a bad finals, but if they can keep their focus, nothing is stopping them. As for Lebron, he's the most formidable player in the NBA right now. I don't know if there is a scheme or player in the world that can really shut him down. With an upgraded supporting cast, this could be the matchup we see in June.

It's coming down to playoff time for those of you Varsity coaches. For more a new video on some high-intensity practice drills, check out Jamie Dixon's DVD on Competitive Practice Drills. Coach Dixon is the head coach at University of Pittsburgh. Don't forget to check out the X's and O's Basketball Forum to talk hoops with other coaches.

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#6 » by EasternMagic » Mon May 18, 2009 4:24 am

you post this how to here but on the general board you say we have no chance...
magicfan4life05
RealGM

Post#7 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:29 am

EasternMagic wrote:you post this how to here but on the general board you say we have no chance...

I posted this

magicfan4life05 wrote:Listen I like the magic but Lebron is on a mission and won't be stopped.

and I agree with above, the Cavs will probably win, and while I'm hoping the Magic win (ie this thread and its also supposed to be kinda fun) I'd be really shocked if the magic won.

Cavs have homecourt and the best player in the league. But there's a reason they play the games.

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#8 » by EasternMagic » Mon May 18, 2009 5:21 am

i got you its good
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#9 » by SS_MagicMark » Mon May 18, 2009 5:25 am

Sucker punch in the nuts when nobody's looking?
christian72589
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by christian72589 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:47 am

Honestly.... look at how Detroit played us when we had T-Mac... If that can work, we got it.

I really think we will win this series. i dont' buy into this whole "best player in the league" bull. We should know better than anyone that one man will not win it all on his own.

Cleveland will be entertaining, but i know we have the match-ups and the drive after this boston win to take it to them in the Q and anywhere.

Return to Orlando Magic