Left—22.7%
Right—55.6%

Bojan Bogdanovic:
Left—22.7%
Right—54.5%

Herb Jones:
Left—29.4%
Right—54.0%
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,838

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2 

Post#1482 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:00 pm

“There is an optimism in Philadelphia that Joel Embiid can return at some point during the regular season — at least close enough to the playoffs to get his rhythm heading into the playoffs. But [the Sixers] don’t wanna put any timeframe on it until he starts ramping up, but I’m told, he went to practice [yesterday], he got there early to see how everything was in the morning … his enthusiasm is there.”

- Ramona shelburne
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,574

Post#1483 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:37 pm

76ciology wrote:“There is an optimism in Philadelphia that Joel Embiid can return at some point during the regular season — at least close enough to the playoffs to get his rhythm heading into the playoffs. But [the Sixers] don’t wanna put any timeframe on it until he starts ramping up, but I’m told, he went to practice [yesterday], he got there early to see how everything was in the morning … his enthusiasm is there.”

- Ramona shelburne

Of course. This organization has never been afraid to rush him back lol

A banged up Joel come April is tradition round these parts.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#1484 » by sixers4real » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:02 pm

76ciology wrote:“There is an optimism in Philadelphia that Joel Embiid can return at some point during the regular season — at least close enough to the playoffs to get his rhythm heading into the playoffs. But [the Sixers] don’t wanna put any timeframe on it until he starts ramping up, but I’m told, he went to practice [yesterday], he got there early to see how everything was in the morning … his enthusiasm is there.”

- Ramona shelburne

I want him back in April. Life is too short for us to watch playoffs without prime Embiid
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#1485 » by M2J » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:01 pm

- Ramona shelburne

Good news... Hopefully the team catches a rhythm and wins before he gets there, let him ramp up playing 20-25 before the playoffs and could maybe continue that into the first round if they have a favorable matchup. Maybe he could be really healthy in the 2nd round for once
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,617

Post#1486 » by eyeatoma » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:38 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:

- Ramona shelburne

I get the apprehension, but maybe it's different this time.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,574

Post#1487 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:20 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

- Ramona shelburne

Hey I'm not gonna beat the drum either way. I just look at it as humorous at this point with zero expectations.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#1488 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:09 am

April 3rd will mark 8 weeks exactly since his surgery (Feb 6th). How exactly are they going to play this one? Do they put him on a minutes restriction for the last two weeks of the season? Do they give him two weeks to get up to speed and then throw him out there in the playoffs where the competition is ramped up and the physicality is next level? I'm all for baptism by fire, but that's asking a lot, and you're taking a bit of risk doing so. The only thing I can see IS a minutes restriction. Personally, I think it'll depend on how the team is doing. If they're still sitting in the 4/5 seed I could see them bringing him along slowly and working him back into the rotation. If they're fighting for the play-in seed then I can see them just saying screw-it and calling it a season for him.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1489 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:13 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:April 3rd will mark 8 weeks exactly since his surgery (Feb 6th). How exactly are they going to play this one? Do they put him on a minutes restriction for the last two weeks of the season? Do they give him two weeks to get up to speed and then throw him out there in the playoffs where the competition is ramped up and the physicality is next level? I'm all for baptism by fire, but that's asking a lot, and you're taking a bit of risk doing so. The only thing I can see IS a minutes restriction. Personally, I think it'll depend on how the team is doing. If they're still sitting in the 4/5 seed I could see them bringing him along slowly and working him back into the rotation. If they're fighting for the play-in seed then I can see them just saying screw-it and calling it a season for him.

Personally, I'd base the decision on what the medical staff or his body indicate. If both indicate he can play as early as tomorrow, then he plays. But if both suggest he should shut it down, then he shuts it down.

I believe we can be as good as the Celtics when healthy. Therefore, I'm leaning towards letting him play as early as possible, provided he is physically and medically cleared.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1490 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:41 am

Darius Bazley, who signed a 10-day contract with the Sixers on Tuesday, has been assigned to the Blue Coats. He will be available for the team’s game at 11 a.m. Thursday against Grand Rapids.

Bazley is expected to be recalled to the Sixers following the game.

I believe the backup power forward position is up for grabs between Roco, the young duo of Council and KJ, and Bazley.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#1491 » by Ben » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:38 am

GoSixersBro wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

Hey I'm not gonna beat the drum either way. I just look at it as humorous at this point with zero expectations.

On that humorous note...

[youtube]
[/youtube]
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1492 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:47 am

Nurse says the Sixers’ head of medical believes Covington should be ready for a return to play in roughly three weeks.

Batum is expected to play tomorrow — sounds like Melton could but they have to see how he responds tomorrow after full practice today

The bright side of Roco not being able to play until the first or second week of March is that we can possibly see more of Ricky Council or KJ Martin and observe how they fare against the top Eastern teams.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,669

Post#1493 » by Kolkmania » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 am

Would be a big development if RoCo would return to play.

A big forward with a quick trigger is absolutely a great addition to this roster, Batum can shoot the corner three but overall his 3PA volume is far from impressive. Let alone Harris, KJ, Reed, Council or whatever body we're planning to play at the forward spots.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,832

Post#1494 » by the_process » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:48 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:April 3rd will mark 8 weeks exactly since his surgery (Feb 6th). How exactly are they going to play this one? Do they put him on a minutes restriction for the last two weeks of the season? Do they give him two weeks to get up to speed and then throw him out there in the playoffs where the competition is ramped up and the physicality is next level? I'm all for baptism by fire, but that's asking a lot, and you're taking a bit of risk doing so. The only thing I can see IS a minutes restriction. Personally, I think it'll depend on how the team is doing. If they're still sitting in the 4/5 seed I could see them bringing him along slowly and working him back into the rotation. If they're fighting for the play-in seed then I can see them just saying screw-it and calling it a season for him.

The Sixers play at home against OKC on April 2nd, then embark on a 6 day 3 game road trip. Last three at home (Detroit, Orlando, Brooklyn) April 9th, 12th, and 14th.

Would they bring him back for a road trip? That doesn't seem like the normal way to try and get a guy back in the swing of things.

This also says nothing of what their record might look like come April.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 355

Post#1495 » by Jhawk03 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:56 am

the_process wrote:

The Sixers play at home against OKC on April 2nd, then embark on a 6 day 3 game road trip. Last three at home (Detroit, Orlando, Brooklyn) April 9th, 12th, and 14th.

Would they bring him back for a road trip? That doesn't seem like the normal way to try and get a guy back in the swing of things.

The last three home games are the most likely target to get him "up to speed" before the playoffs.

You and Explosion both highlight the disconnect between what is hoped for or assumed VS what is mathematically possible.

They won't be sitting in the 4/5 seed mathematically without Joel over the next 5+ weeks based on the current data, although you could hope for 4/5 because it could happen, but the probability of it is hope based.

On the other hand, I keep having to say this, but that same probability for landing the 4/5 seed applies to being in the 9/10 seed come April. The most likely outcome is we're sitting on the 6th maybe 7th seed. The basketball Gods won't allow for the decision to rush Embiid back for the Sixers to be as simple as 4/5 seed come April (bring him along slowly and working back into the rotation), OR 8/9/10 seed (call it, season's over). This will... with upmost certainty... land in that uncomfortable area of 6th or 7th seed because if this roster except for Embiid is fully healthy leading into March, it will exactly become the 6/7 seed scenario approaching the final home stretch of games.

Hey process check this out, they don't have to bring him back for that road trip... the final three home games (none are b2b) should be good enough to set the foundation of getting Embiid ready for the playoffs.

I'm just saying in a nutshell that the whole argument of "What is their record gonna look like tho?" isn't being evaluated properly.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Post#1496 » by phillynative » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:46 am

76ciology wrote:Darius Bazley, who signed a 10-day contract with the Sixers on Tuesday, has been assigned to the Blue Coats. He will be available for the team’s game at 11 a.m. Thursday against Grand Rapids.

I believe the backup power forward position is up for grabs between Roco, the young duo of Council and KJ, and Bazley.

Yup, I think Bazely has a chance to contribute if given a chance, especially with the elders ; Batum and Roco still out. I want Council who's has prototypical wing size to get mins at the 3 while KJ and Bazley battle it out at the 4.
KJ is on the undersized size at 6'7 with 6'7 wingspan.
Bazley is 6'9 and 7ft wingspan.

Maybe my expectations and hopes are a little too high with Bazely. But having a proto pf size 2way athlete who can play some mins next to Embiid would be something we haven't had in awhile. It's something everyone wished for with Reed but it's not going to happen. Hopefully Bazely skillset translates from g-league, he has shown he can protect the rim, rebound , finish around the rim and even knock down some 3s...(The same thing Reed showed in the g-league lol)
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,669

Post#1497 » by Kolkmania » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:19 pm

phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:Darius Bazley, who signed a 10-day contract with the Sixers on Tuesday, has been assigned to the Blue Coats. He will be available for the team’s game at 11 a.m. Thursday against Grand Rapids.

Yup, I think Bazely has a chance to contribute if given a chance, especially with the elders ; Batum and Roco still out. I want Council who's has prototypical wing size to get mins at the 3 while KJ and Bazley battle it out at the 4.
KJ is on the undersized size at 6'7 with 6'7 wingspan.
Bazley is 6'9 and 7ft wingspan.

Maybe my expectations and hopes are a little too high with Bazely. But having a proto pf size 2way athlete who can play some mins next to Embiid would be something we haven't had in awhile. It's something everyone wished for with Reed but it's not going to happen. Hopefully Bazely skillset translates from g-league, he has shown he can protect the rim, rebound , finish around the rim and even knock down some 3s...(The same thing Reed showed in the g-league lol)

As you said, Reed did everything Bazley is currently doing with higher volume and better shooting percentages. Perhaps Bazley has some value as a defensive wing, but he's probably unplayable on offense. I'd rather sign Tony Bradley as some suggested here and try Reed as a PF at times.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,832

Post#1498 » by the_process » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:40 pm

Jhawk03 wrote:
the_process wrote:

The last three home games are the most likely target to get him "up to speed" before the playoffs.

You and Explosion both highlight the disconnect between what is hoped for or assumed VS what is mathematically possible.

They won't be sitting in the 4/5 seed mathematically without Joel over the next 5+ weeks based on the current data, although you could hope for 4/5 because it could happen, but the probability of it is hope based.

On the other hand, I keep having to say this, but that same probability for landing the 4/5 seed applies to being in the 9/10 seed come April. The most likely outcome is we're sitting on the 6th maybe 7th seed. The basketball Gods won't allow for the decision to rush Embiid back for the Sixers to be as simple as 4/5 seed come April (bring him along slowly and working back into the rotation), OR 8/9/10 seed (call it, season's over). This will... with upmost certainty... land in that uncomfortable area of 6th or 7th seed because if this roster except for Embiid is fully healthy leading into March, it will exactly become the 6/7 seed scenario approaching the final home stretch of games.

Hey process check this out, they don't have to bring him back for that road trip... the final three home games (none are b2b) should be good enough to set the foundation of getting Embiid ready for the playoffs.

I'm just saying in a nutshell that the whole argument of "What is their record gonna look like tho?" isn't being evaluated properly.

I look at the schedule from now until April 2nd, and I see the Sixers in the play-in at that point.

Jo is also going to want to play in the Olympics this summer.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1499 » by eyeatoma » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=UPg5Ej2qtrmP2r9uFCih9w&s=19

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
eyeatoma
RealGM