ImageImageImage

DDD = Double-Double Dalembert

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76erinSJ
Senior
And1: 0

Post#21 » by 76erinSJ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 am

I still think Sammy should make it over some of the C/PF that will make this year.
Andre Miller is a bad 3pt shooter.
PrimeTime21
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#22 » by PrimeTime21 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 am

Howard is probably going to be the only center to make the all star team with Chris Bosh as a reserve. If there is a second center to make it on the East squad, Sam definitely deserves consideration.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#23 » by dbodner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:57 pm

To play devil's advocate a little more, Sam's per minute numbers are basically the same this year as they have been for his career

His improvement this year has been staying on the court and foul trouble. the rest, as you pointed out, is the result of his increased playing time. He still has the same fundamental flaws in his game that prevent him from being a great player IMO. His main improvement, besides fouls, since his second year has been his jump shot, which, while not a bad thing, was about last on our priority list of things for him to improve on IMO.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 4,006

Post#24 » by bebopdeluxe » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:53 pm

dabods:

Within the context of staying on the floor, I do think that his ability to not go for every pump-fake and contest more shots is a material improvement in his game...he seems to be doing a MUCH better job of maintaining verticality on his shot-block attempts (his potentially game-saving block on Scola Tuesday night was a great example of that).

I think that this is a significant improvement in one of his "fundamental flaws", and one of the key reasons why he is now becoming a solid, legitimate NBA center...a guy who could anchor the defense of a team that could go deep into the playoffs (with the right pieces around him). As I have said recently, his numbers are Camby-esque...and I would take those numbers in a heartbeat.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#25 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:57 pm

I have supported our coaching staff inregard to how they develop our young players, but...

Do you think it is just a coincidence that Sammy's defence has gotten more fundamentally sound after spending the Summer with the team Canada coaching staff?
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#26 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:19 pm

No, I don't I've advocated Maurice Cheeks's firing since he made an NBA playoff squad play piss poor defense.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by dbodner » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 pm

BTW, I've heard a lot of "yay! Sammy's jumpshot is great". do people realize he's shooting 39.4% on jumpshots?
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by tk76 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:59 pm

Same % as Camby- who right now is the Sam gold standard in my mind. Not that Sam is close to him in other areas of production- I just see them as having similar capabilities- and Sam on his best day being Camby-like.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by dbodner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:06 am

well, yeah. but just because camby has other strengths to his game doesn't mean the jumpshot is a good one for sammy :P
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:19 am

I agree, but neither have developed low post games- and that has a bit to do with their builds and balance when absorbing contact. Both have decent touch on jumpers.

Its not that their build precludes them from being low post scorers, but their quick leaping ability is partly due to their lack of, shall we say, a low center of gravity. This makes them less apt to have good back to the basket games, and also hurts their ability to box out.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 200

Post#31 » by 9th Wonder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:34 am

dbodner wrote:BTW, I've heard a lot of "yay! Sammy's jumpshot is great". do people realize he's shooting 39.4% on jumpshots?

Just saw that yesterday actually. I think he was around 44% last year. His FT% is down a bit, too.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#32 » by LieCheatSteal » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:37 pm

tk76 wrote:Same % as Camby- who right now is the Sam gold standard in my mind. Not that Sam is close to him in other areas of production- I just see them as having similar capabilities- and Sam on his best day being Camby-like.

Dalembert's definitely becoming Camby without the nagging injuries. If Dalembert can get his assist numbers up a little, he's going to be Camby.
Two years from being two years away.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by tk76 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:46 pm

If Sam doesn't foul too much against Bosh, he should have another great shot at 20 boards tonight.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#34 » by LieCheatSteal » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:51 pm

tk76 wrote:If Sam doesn't foul too much against Bosh, he should have another great shot at 20 boards tonight.

It might be different this year but in year's past, Bosh has actually had some trouble with Dalembert. Sam matches Bosh in both quickness and agility, two things that Bosh has to his advantage. With Bosh, he's take bigger PFs to school but once matched with a guy that match him on those two advantages (see how Garnett completely makes Bosh his bitch). I think the difference this year could be that Bosh has picked up some tips (probably from being Garnett's bitch) to get players in foul trouble (ie the aforementioned flopping in the game thread). If Dalembert could avoid these issues and gets a ref that won't fall for these stunts, then he'll have a good night. Otherwise, Sam's going to be on the bench after 5 minutes in the 1st quarter and Jason Smith or Reggie Evans is going to be Bosh's bitch.
Two years from being two years away.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by tk76 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:04 pm

LieCheatSteal wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Otherwise, Sam's going to be on the bench after 5 minutes in the 1st quarter and Jason Smith or Reggie Evans is going to be Bosh's bitch.

Sounds about right. The last thing I want to hear is Salami taking about how Smith is adding another lesson to his notebook as he gets abused by Bosh...

Return to Philadelphia 76ers