ImageImageImage

Why does Amir still play?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,983

Why does Amir still play? 

Post#1 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:25 am

1 DREB in 25 minutes. 5 points. 1 BLK. 3 TO. Multiple point blank misses.

Couldn't have we found someone better for 11 million. Why didn't Emeka get more run? Hopefully, the Hawks buy out Ersan and we play Saric for stretches at C.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Re: Why does Amir still play? 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:33 am

:lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#3 » by mithrandir17 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 am

You never know. This thread might get Amir to play better.
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#4 » by MountainDrew » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:06 am

He's not great obviously, but he's not terrible. Plays good defense. I honestly dont really mind him.

Edit: nvm, just saw what you did there haha
Trust the Process
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#5 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 pm

76ciology wrote::lol:

Per 36 10rebs 1.5spg 1.5bpg
3.3 DBPM
3.0 BPM
-Defending shots 0-6ft. comparable to Myles Turner at 54.6 freq% & -6.4DFG%
- 73.4 FG% at shots 0-3ft.
- oncourt DRtg 102.9, offcourt 102.4DRtg

:o

*im telling you he is an analytics wizard; the antithesis of Jahlil Okafor
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,043

Post#6 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Either you get it or you don't. Not everyone has to score points to be effective. Amir allows them to not completely change what they do defensively when Embiid comes out of the game.

Replacing him with a better offensive player that can't play that defensive role would just be replacing one problem with another larger problem. They need to figure out a way to get offensive production from the other bench spots. Hopefully Belinelli helps. I also think Brett is going to shorten the bench down the stretch so he should play with the starters more.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#7 » by Sixersftw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Yeah, I feel like Amir is a perfect backup for the big fella outside of his advanced age.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#8 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Why did Philly trade a 2nd rounder for Booker? :(
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#9 » by Kobblehead » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 pm

For starters, he's the only reserve big on the roster with C length.

Then there's all the nuanced aspects.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#10 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:34 pm

76ciology wrote:

3.3 DBPM
3.0 BPM

Jahil Okafor DRB% 19.1. Amir Johnson DRB% 18.4. Amir Johnson is a terrible rebounder all he does is inflate his number grabbing his own point blank misses.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#11 » by TTP » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
76ciology wrote:

3.3 DBPM
3.0 BPM

Jahil Okafor DRB% 19.1. Amir Johnson DRB% 18.4. Amir Johnson is a terrible rebounder all he does is inflate his number grabbing his own point blank misses.

You do realize that Amir misses point blank far less than most right? He's 73.7% within 3 feet this year.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#12 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm

TTP wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
76ciology wrote:
3.3 DBPM
3.0 BPM

You do realize that Amir misses point blank far less than most right? He's 73.7% within 3 feet this year.

And what percentage of his shots are from that distance? I'm sorry I just don't respect his game at all and the fact he hangs around the rim because he has no discernible skills on offense doesn't make him a good rebounder.

He's been better defensively I'll give you that and he moves around well but I don't see the inside presence that you do. Teams are unafraid to go inside when he's on the court.

With Amir at C (Embiid off Amir on) 28% of their attempts are from 0-3 feet and they make 70% of them. Overall opponents have a ts% of 55.1.

When Embiid plays center (amir off embiid on) 23% of opponents shots are from 0-3 feet. They make 65% of them. Overall ts% 50.9.

But for me it isn't the defense that's the main issue when he's on the court it's the offense. With Johnson on the court our ORTG is 101.1 with him off ours is 112.3

He is just a killer for our offense. He doesn't mesh at all with Simmons.

Simmons on Amir off ORTG 113.4. Simmons on Amir on ORTG 100.7

So yeah you can say well I'm using Embiid numbers on defense thats unfair but even sort of removing Embiid from the equation our DRTG/100 with Amir on the court is 107.6.

So if our DRTG/100 is 107.6 with him on the court and ORTG/100 is 101.1 thats well not good. He could be useful possibly on another team full of shooters but on ours he kills us.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#13 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Also just want to be clear this isn't a small sample size either he's played 600 of his 791 minutes according to Nbawowry with Simmons on the court. I'm actually sort of glad I spent 30 minutes or so doing the research because I could see this with my eyes but I never really bothered to dig into the on/off stuff to confirm it.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#14 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm

So what, you want the Sixers to get some guy that can be the anchor of both an above average defense and the first option on an above average offense to back Embiid up for 15 minutes per game? Does that really seem feasible (especially this year) or an efficient use of resources?

I don't think there's any debate that Amir is a much more limited offensive player than Embiid. That's not his role. He's not someone that impacts your offensive rating much. The issue is that, if it weren't for Embiid, most of the team would have offensive ratings like Amir. Amir is just the one guy on the team that actually never plays with Embiid.

The way to fix this is to make the options that play the non center positions that play a lot more minutes than the backup center better offensive options.

Either way I think you're getting too worked up about a guy that plays 15 mpg and isn't a long term piece.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#15 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Sixerscan wrote:So what, you want the Sixers to get some guy that can be the anchor of both an above average defense and the first option on an above average offense to back Embiid up for 15 minutes per game? Does that really seem feasible (especially this year) or an efficient use of resources?[/b]

I don't think there's any debate that Amir is a much more limited offensive player than Embiid. That's not his role. He's not someone that impacts your offensive rating much. The issue is that, if it weren't for Embiid, most of the team would have offensive ratings like Amir. Amir is just the one guy on the team that actually never plays with Embiid.

The way to fix this is to make the options that play the non center positions that play a lot more minutes than the backup center better offensive options.

Either way I think you're getting too worked up about a guy that plays 15 mpg and isn't a long term piece.

I want a big who can shoot and play at least average defense.

As far as an efficient allocation of resources go I mean I wouldn't be ragging on Amir if we signed him for the vet min but we gave him 11 million. Dedmon who we tried to trade for you don't think he would have signed for 1 year 11 million?

Mark my words when the playoffs roll around our bench is going to get killed and it will mostly be because of Amir and players like him who BC brought in which don't fit together.
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#16 » by JojoSlimbiid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 pm

What should we do instead of play Amir on this current lineup construction?

Looking at the field of FA before the season I'm still puzzled as to what we should of done in terms of a backup big. Dedmon? He's on a player option would he have taken that with us or would he have agreed to the lump sum 1 year deal? Who knows
TFK
Junior
And1: 226

Post#17 » by TFK » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm

We brought him in on an overpay, one year contract in order to provide some vet presence both on and off the court, without handcuffing the team past this season and leaving us flexibility to determine what we have with Embiid Simmons and company and what we want moving forward. We never intended to solve the bench issue for this season, where we are simply trying to show progress and make the playoffs... not make a deep run at the expense of the long term, big picture.

Not sure what the problem is.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#18 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:25 pm

JojoSlimbiid wrote:What should we do instead of play Amir on this current lineup construction?

Looking at the field of FA before the season I'm still puzzled as to what we should of done in terms of a backup big. Dedmon? He's on a player option would he have taken that with us or would he have agreed to the lump sum 1 year deal? Who knows

Well I would have liked to find out. Remember we basically signed Amir day 1 FA. I never understood the rush to sign Amir and the reluctance to let the the market develop and explore other options.

BC operated last years FA like a little kid with money burning a hole in his pocket.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#19 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:So what, you want the Sixers to get some guy that can be the anchor of both an above average defense and the first option on an above average offense to back Embiid up for 15 minutes per game? Does that really seem feasible (especially this year) or an efficient use of resources?[/b]

I want a big who can shoot and play at least average defense.

As far as an efficient allocation of resources go I mean I wouldn't be ragging on Amir if we signed him for the vet min but we gave him 11 million. Dedmon who we tried to trade for you don't think he would have signed for 1 year 11 million?

Mark my words when the playoffs roll around our bench is going to get killed and it will mostly be because of Amir and players like him who BC brought in which don't fit together.

And what, if we had Dedmon here playing 15 mpg we would win the title? What are we talking about here? You're just trying to find something to get mad about a guy that you didn't give a chance to from the moment he signed. He'll probably be gone soon enough.

I'm not disagreeing that the bench is the team's weakness, it's just weird that you're focusing on Amir, who has weaknesses but also strengths. The backup 2-4 spots have been a much bigger issue this year and continue to be the biggest issue on the team going forward (non broken jumper division).
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#20 » by marcush » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 pm

I think Amir is a good defensive center. Or maybe he's not good at all and I'm just so relieved that we no longer have to watch Okafor sleepwalking.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers