Raja bell
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Re: Welcome Matisse Thybulle! 

Post#242 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:14 pm

phillynative wrote:Raja bell

Eddie Jones
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#243 » by HotelVitale » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Winejk wrote:Just glad after all the whiffs with high picks that have occurred in drafting recently - Nerlens, Okafor, Fultz - the Sixers are picking up some solid players - Shamet, Thybulle - in the later picks of the first round. Maybe it is karma.

Sixers drafted two HOF-caliber players in that span two (Embiid+Simmons) so their draft karma has already worked itself out. Drafting in the top 5 is way more of a crap shoot than fans tend to think, we didn't 'deserve' to hit on every top pick; getting two big successes and three flops seems average-ish as far as luck goes.

Bell was a very different type of 3D guy-- never averaged one full steal per game and led the league in 3s made a couple years. Be cool if Thybulle could be that good but he won't be very similar.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#244 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:44 pm

He acts like Shane Battier
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#245 » by Eyeamok » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:08 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Winejk wrote:Just glad after all the whiffs with high picks that have occurred in drafting recently - Nerlens, Okafor, Fultz - the Sixers are picking up some solid players - Shamet, Thybulle - in the later picks of the first round. Maybe it is karma.

Sixers drafted two HOF-caliber players in that span two (Embiid+Simmons) so their draft karma has already worked itself out. Drafting in the top 5 is way more of a crap shoot than fans tend to think, we didn't 'deserve' to hit on every top pick; getting two big successes and three flops seems average-ish as far as luck goes.

Bell was a very different type of 3D guy-- never averaged one full steal per game and led the league in 3s made a couple years. Be cool if Thybulle could be that good but he won't be very similar.

As the NBA gets younger and younger. Sophomores,juniors and college seniors, will fall lower and lower in the draft. A lot of these guys will be solid contributors,late bloomers or even all star players. A good scouting system and an eye for talent will be more important going forward now than ever before.

That said I hope Thybulle does become a great player for this team. But the season has not even started yet. So I will temper my expectations. And hope that everyone that is hyping him up is correct.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#246 » by youngcrev » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:32 pm

He's more like a ball hawking free safety than a shutdown corner if we put it in football terms. I'd be inclined to throw him on a poor offensive player and just let him cheat off. That might not even be necessary with his recovery ability.

I'm excited for the amount of turnovers this team is going to create with him, Richardson and Ben on the perimeter with Al and Jo protecting the paint. Live ball run outs all day.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#247 » by Ericb5 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:43 pm

youngcrev wrote:He's more like a ball hawking free safety than a shutdown corner if we put it in football terms. I'd be inclined to throw him on a poor offensive player and just let him cheat off. That might not even be necessary with his recovery ability.

I'm excited for the amount of turnovers this team is going to create with him, Richardson and Ben on the perimeter with Al and Jo protecting the paint. Live ball run outs all day.

Going with that analogy I think he has pretty good CB ball skills too though.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#248 » by phillynative » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Yea hes more of a disruptor than a lock. i dont see him guarding the big wings of the nba
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#249 » by Chris76 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm

phillynative wrote:Yea hes more of a disruptor than a lock. i dont see him guarding the big wings of the nba

He is definitely an aggressive disruptor. A perfect size for a SG defender that has the green light to gamble. His help block on Thon Maker and some others were unique and surprising. The shooters weren't aware he was lurking from behind.

Therefore, Sixers need to be ready to switch quickly to allow him the freedom to overplay. This works well with most lineups.

Richardson
Thybulle
Ennis
Simmons
Embiid or Horford

Sixers should have an incredible defensive lineup. Even Harris should be ok, especially with the different lineups that BB can create. The rotations should help lessen any one players weaknesses.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#250 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:01 pm

I see shades of Kirilenko in his game defensively, but with better hands.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#251 » by Sixersftw » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Maybe a bit like Gerald Wallace without the desire to kill himself.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#252 » by LloydFree » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:12 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

I don't see Radja Bell either. Thybulle is very unique. Not easily comparable. The closest guy I can come up with was Eddie Jones. Another free safety type, from a zone defense. Thybulle isn't as good as Eddie Jones. He was better offensively, because he could handle the ball, but Eddie was All-defense and played a similar style and had similar tools as Thybulle.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM

Post#253 » by 76ciology » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Oladipo.

On defense only.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#254 » by phillynative » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Can he defend PG's too?
phillynative
General Manager

Post#255 » by phillynative » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Maybe a bit like Gerald Wallace without the desire to kill himself.

Man i almost forgot about that guy he played with a reckless abandon. Him and Kirilenko.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#256 » by Kobblehead » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:41 pm

phillynative wrote:Can he defend PG's too?

Given his 200 pound frame, I think defending PGs and SGs are the most ideal matchups for him.

I don't really want him attempting to guards guys like Kawhi Leonard or other huge Fs.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#257 » by Chris76 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

Given his 200 pound frame, I think defending PGs and SGs are the most ideal matchups for him.

I don't really want him attempting to guards guys like Kawhi Leonard or other huge Fs.

Thybulle avoided screens with some quickness. He should get better defending any guards or outside shooters.

Sixers biggest weakness was defending the perimeter, now it could be a strength.

Richardson, Shake, and Thybulle were an interesting group. The defense was very disruptive. It led to some easy buckets.

Thybulle on Paul George and Simmons on Kawhi with Embiid and Horford protecting the rim could be very difficult for them.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#258 » by phillynative » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Chris76 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

Thybulle avoided screens with some quickness. He should get better defending any guards or outside shooters.

Sixers biggest weakness was defending the perimeter, now it could be a strength.

Richardson, Shake, and Thybulle were an interesting group. The defense was very disruptive. It led to some easy buckets.

Thybulle on Paul George and Simmons on Kawhi with Embiid and Horford protecting the rim could be very difficult for them.

That could be interesting. If hes able to stay with PG that would be a huge plus. But you cant forget that PG is about 6'9 220. Theres a definite size difference but maybe he can be pesky and a irritant.

For the most part I see them letting matisse on louwill and tobi and ennis on PG.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#259 » by Wilfried » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Did Brand got the best of Ainge on this trade?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#260 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Wilfried wrote:Did Brand got the best of Ainge on this trade?

It appears to be working out for the Celtics, too, though. Carsen Edwards has been incredible and they were able to flip Jerome for a 1st rounder from the Suns (which is pretty much going to be lotto).

Return to Philadelphia 76ers