Preseason Discussion

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Preseason Discussion 

Post#681 » by LloydFree » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 pm

This 'Closer' BS cracks me up. Going into last season when we had Saric and Covington, nobody ever expressed the slightest concern that the 76ers needed a 'closer'. Now this past year, they make up this nonsense title as a thing, and that's all that is talked about.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#682 » by Kobblehead » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Just because those Pistons teams didn't have a volume scorer doesn't mean they didn't have a closer. Chauncey Billups was one of the most dependable and clutch 4th quarter players in the league during the mid-2000s.

I don't think they're a parallel to us. I don't think the Sixers really have a historic match. We're pretty unique in our construction.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,833

Post#683 » by Negrodamus » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:40 pm

I think we lean on Richardson offensively than most will expect. I think he will contend with Harris as our main perimeter scorer.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,040

Post#684 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Just because those Pistons teams didn't have a volume scorer doesn't mean they didn't have a closer. Chauncey Billups was one of the most dependable and clutch 4th quarter players in the league during the mid-2000s.

I don't think they're a parallel to us. I don't think the Sixers really have a historic match. We're pretty unique in our construction.

How quickly Mr. Big Shot is forgotten, even when he is on ESPN.

I don't think there is anyone to point to on this team right now. We will have to wait and see who steps up and its hard to predict right now. Always interesting though when you have a 28 point per game scorer, we are asking for who is the 'go to' guy.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#685 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:34 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Just because those Pistons teams didn't have a volume scorer doesn't mean they didn't have a closer. Chauncey Billups was one of the most dependable and clutch 4th quarter players in the league during the mid-2000s.

Also him and Rip were actually pretty potent scorers, their numbers were just depressed because of how SLOOOOW they played.

And sheed was like Horford in that he could take over but generally liked playing a team game unless it was necessary.

But Ben Wallace and Prince were obviously much worse scorers than anyone in our lineup.

So yeah pretty different teams (outside of the general elite defense/ok offense archetype)
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#686 » by snoopdogg88 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:42 pm

I don’t like how many people are just assuming we’re going to have some historically great defense.
As if it’s easy.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,843

Post#687 » by Mik317 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:57 pm

LloydFree wrote:This 'Closer' BS cracks me up. Going into last season when we had Saric and Covington, nobody ever expressed the slightest concern that the 76ers needed a 'closer'. Now this past year, they make up this nonsense title as a thing, and that's all that is talked about.

I remember people being quite buttblasted over all of the close games we lost that year.

Bottomline is that when you need a bucket in a close game, our method of Embiid post ups isn't going to work due to all of the moving parts involved. Jimmy's dribble dribble fadeaway probably wasn't the long term answer either but it was a rather simple set up. Embiid post ups requires Embiid to get the ball in the right spot, not have Simmons man double him, and if a double does come, for him to make the right pass and for said receiver of the pass to be able...and willing to get a shot up. Thats a lot. I love Embiid...but him being casted as the end of game guy is simply not going to work as he does not have the shake to get easy looks when defenses and his tunnel vision will lead to charges, flops, and turnovers.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#688 » by Sixerscan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm

snoopdogg88 wrote:I don’t like how many people are just assuming we’re going to have some historically great defense.
As if it’s easy.

Obviously everything we’re talking about is projection until the ball rolls out.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#689 » by Ericb5 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:10 pm

LloydFree wrote:This 'Closer' BS cracks me up. Going into last season when we had Saric and Covington, nobody ever expressed the slightest concern that the 76ers needed a 'closer'. Now this past year, they make up this nonsense title as a thing, and that's all that is talked about.

That's not true. We may not have used the word "closer" all of the time, but we knew damn well that we needed a wing/guard that could get his own shot when the clamps were down in the half court, and Butler filled that role. Now we are missing that player again.

Also given that we have a non traditional point guard we figured that we could sign a scoring guard to fill that role because he wouldn't have to run the team. This is what Fultz was hoped to eventually become, but obviously that crashed and burned.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#690 » by youngcrev » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Expectations have changed. They weren't a championship contender going into last year.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#691 » by LloydFree » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:26 pm

youngcrev wrote:

Expectations have changed. They weren't a championship contender going into last year.

Cut it out. People were saying ECF or bust, last year this time. If ECF is the minimum expectation, then people thought they were contenders.

This "closer" BS is just Parroting the latest narrative that became a thing. All of this is settled, if Ben Simmons learns how to hit a Free throw at the end of a game. Which I hope is the case, so I don't have to hear people repeating the same nonesense all year.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#692 » by youngcrev » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:21 am

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Cut it out. People were saying ECF or bust, last year this time. If ECF is the minimum expectation, then people thought they were contenders.

This "closer" BS is just Parroting the latest narrative that became a thing. All of this is settled, if Ben Simmons learns how to hit a Free throw at the end of a game. Which I hope is the case, so I don't have to hear people repeating the same nonesense all year.

Specifically that verbiage? Sure. But people have been pretty consistent in thinking the team needs a perimeter, playmaking scorer the entire time to do the things in the half court that Ben can't. It's what Fultz was supposed to be. Ericb summed it up pretty well.

Also... You know damn well the expectations are higher for this team right now than they were going into last year. I'm shocked you'd try to dispute that
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#693 » by thenbaman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 am

I don't go for this closer crap either,basketball is a team game so the
whole sixer team are closers,get the open man the ball for the last
shot thats your closer.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#694 » by Simmons25 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:19 am

thenbaman wrote:I don't go for this closer crap either,basketball is a team game so the
whole sixer team are closers,get the open man the ball for the last
shot thats your closer.

I agree. You don't need a closer... you need well run plays that move the defense around and get a guy an open look. It doesn't matter who takes that last shot.

I think if we decide Embiid is going to be our closer then we are going to be in for a lot of pain... until he realises that his job is to draw double teams to get others open... not run the clock down so he takes the last shot with 3 guys hanging off him.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#695 » by eagereyez » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:21 am

Ericb5 wrote:

That's not true. We may not have used the word "closer" all of the time, but we knew damn well that we needed a wing/guard that could get his own shot when the clamps were down in the half court, and Butler filled that role. Now we are missing that player again.

Also given that we have a non traditional point guard we figured that we could sign a scoring guard to fill that role because he wouldn't have to run the team. This is what Fultz was hoped to eventually become, but obviously that crashed and burned.
Right. The need for a perimeter player who can create his own shot was one of the reasons that Fultz was drafted. I think the Sixers still need that if they want long-term success. It's hard to imagine a team winning multiple championships without that type of a player. I guess the closest thing we've seen to that is the Rockets with Olajuwon.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,560

Post#696 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:25 am

Without any dramatic effects, closer is just a guy who can get you buckets when you need it.

I believe anyone can be a closer for us, whether off 2 man game or at the post. It’s just that they need more time to develop.

I’ll take my chances with Ben or Harris at the post against a guard when we need a 2. I’ll take my chances with Biid or Horford against a 4 when we need a 2. I’ll take my chances with a Harris or Jrich off ball set or a pick and pop with Horford or Biid when we need a 3.

They just have to INTENTIONALLY keep the game close during regular season (they will, believe me) to develop them. Then run more situationals during practice. They can also do more 1 on 1 practice similar to team USA or Celts do it.

The duration for a closer to perform is during clutch. Not for full 48. And I believe any from our starting unit can get you 6-8 pts or 2-4 good shot attempts.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#697 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:32 am

With regards to Biid being a closer, he needs to do it face up. Just ask yourself how many winning baskets Shaq made off the post.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#698 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:35 am

I think the story of the year on offense is not who’s going to be the closer but it’s still either or both Biid or Ben’s 3PT shooting. One of them has to develop their jumper.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#699 » by eagereyez » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 am

SixthStreet wrote:Embiid face ups are going to be the closing go to and he will have enough space to operate if we can station Simmons in the corner and he’s hitting a decent rate. Embiid’s pull up jumper looks a lot better in the preseason. Seems automatic. He can step into it and get it off clean instead of fading away like most wings.

If we need a 3 it’s going to be a lot more challenging. That might be the Ben vs the Loong Lions situation.

This is how I see the end of games going as well. An Embiid face-up if the Sixers need a 2. Anything else will look a lot like the playoffs of 2018.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#700 » by Ericb5 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:43 am

LloydFree wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

He needs to be able to do more than hit a free throw. He needs to not be a liability on offense when defenses lay off of him.

He can eventually get there, but it may not be this year, and we will need it this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers