Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,376

Re: Around the League - 2019-2020 

Post#1121 » by Arsenal » Thu Jan 9, 2020 10:15 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good for him. Fultz will haunt this franchise for a while. Just a waste of valuable assets and the return on him was bad. What's funny given the same amount of minutes I am sure Trey Burke would be putting up similar if not better numbers than Fultz this season.

It's all because the morons running the team RUSHED the Process for no good reason at all. We had a young 50+ win core + assets + cap space at the beginning of last season, and we pissed it all away in a futile and myopic attempt to "win now".
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1122 » by Arsenal » Thu Jan 9, 2020 10:20 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
the_process wrote:It always warms my heart to see Boston lose. At home to the Spurs by 15 is an extra treat.

I would like to see Memphis sneak into that 8 seed this year. Getting JJJ and Morant and Clarke playoff seasoning this early in their career will be invaluable. And sure, it doesn't hurt that Boston will yet again get a bleh mid round pick when they all thought it was a lotto ticket. :lol:

It's inevitable for teams playing over their heads like Boston, Miami, Toronto etc. to start falling back to earth. They're not anywhere near as good as their records show.

We still have a good chance to end the season as the #2 seed. That starts with taking care of business in games like tonight.

Hello.

I'll just chime in here by adding my outlook for the East. I'd say that with the exception of the Celtics, most teams have played pretty close to their potential.

Despite crippling injuries that typically destabilize schemes and rotations, the Raptors have played winning basketball with exceptional defensive numbers:

4th best in opposition ppg;
2nd best in opposition FG%;
3rd best opposition 3pt %;
2nd best paint defence.

There's little reason to believe the Raptors should be going anywhere but up in the standings once three-fifths of their starting lineup returns from injury. I see them challenging the Heat, successfully, for the 2nd seed.

The Celtics have a really short bench offensively, the NBA's 3rd worse in output and 4th worse in 3pt %. As the season rolls on, that factor is only just beginning to take its toll. With a brutal and almost unrelenting schedule until the end of the season, I see the Celtics sliding down to the 6th seed.

This leaves the 76ers and Pacers to scrum for the 4th and 5th seed. Ultimately, I think the Pacers with Oladipo and eventually Brogdon back in, are a deeper and more balanced team.

I disagree with virtually everything you wrote. The Raptors will fall, so will the Celtics (but not as much as you say), and the Heat MOST DEFINITELY will fall. There is NO CHANCE they get the 2nd seed.

The Sixers have a better chance at the #2 seed than the Heat do.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,505

Post#1123 » by Eyeamok » Thu Jan 9, 2020 11:57 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good for him. Fultz will haunt this franchise for a while. Just a waste of valuable assets and the return on him was bad. What's funny given the same amount of minutes I am sure Trey Burke would be putting up similar if not better numbers than Fultz this season.

It's all because the morons running the team RUSHED the Process for no good reason at all. We had a young 50+ win core + assets + cap space at the beginning of last season, and we pissed it all away in a futile and myopic attempt to "win now".

There is an old adage, you have probably heard it. Generational wealth very rarely makes it past the next generation. It can be true with money and it can be true with basketball. When you don't have a hand in accumulating the wealth you don't tend to value the hard work that went into accumulating it. Bryan Colangelo was hell bent on getting out of the shadow of Hinkie and proving he was his own man so he tried to deal like a mad man. Brand I guess he just wants to prove himself. And this is the result. It's like giving a teenager their first credit card and telling them don't worry I've got you covered.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,895

Post#1124 » by fbalmeida » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:56 am

Arsenal wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
It's inevitable for teams playing over their heads like Boston, Miami, Toronto etc. to start falling back to earth. They're not anywhere near as good as their records show.

We still have a good chance to end the season as the #2 seed. That starts with taking care of business in games like tonight.

Hello.

I'll just chime in here by adding my outlook for the East. I'd say that with the exception of the Celtics, most teams have played pretty close to their potential.

Despite crippling injuries that typically destabilize schemes and rotations, the Raptors have played winning basketball with exceptional defensive numbers:

2nd best paint defence.

There's little reason to believe the Raptors should be going anywhere but up in the standings once three-fifths of their starting lineup returns from injury. I see them challenging the Heat, successfully, for the 2nd seed.

The Celtics have a really short bench offensively, the NBA's 3rd worse in output and 4th worse in 3pt %. As the season rolls on, that factor is only just beginning to take its toll. With a brutal and almost unrelenting schedule until the end of the season, I see the Celtics sliding down to the 6th seed.

This leaves the 76ers and Pacers to scrum for the 4th and 5th seed. Ultimately, I think the Pacers with Oladipo and eventually Brogdon back in, are a deeper and more balanced team.

I disagree with virtually everything you wrote. The Raptors will fall, so will the Celtics (but not as much as you say), and the Heat MOST DEFINITELY will fall. There is NO CHANCE they get the 2nd seed.

So If I'm reading you correctly: Raptors all falling, Celtics are falling, Heat are falling.

That leaves, in your opinion, the 76ers and Pacers for 2nd seed battle?
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,907

Post#1125 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:42 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
Hello.

2nd best paint defence.

So If I'm reading you correctly: Raptors all falling, Celtics are falling, Heat are falling.

That leaves, in your opinion, the 76ers and Pacers for 2nd seed battle?

I’ll cut you to the chase. Only Sixers and Bucks are the real contenders if you look at it on the talent standpoint.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,301

Post#1126 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:51 pm

Goddamn, Rose is playing at such a high level right now.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,505

Post#1127 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:51 pm

I saw something saying the 76ers were looking at Andre Iguodala. He has not played all season and he is 35 years old. What does he have to offer ? Besides experience. From what I recall his outside shot was not the most reliable either.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,048

Post#1128 » by Mik317 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:21 pm

farewell tour?
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1129 » by Arsenal » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:06 pm

Eyeamok wrote:I saw something saying the 76ers were looking at Andre Iguodala. He has not played all season and he is 35 years old. What does he have to offer ? Besides experience. From what I recall his outside shot was not the most reliable either.

He's probably still better than Mike Scott and James Ennis. That's enough for us to be interested.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,304

Post#1130 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:00 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

Goddamn, Rose is playing at such a high level right now.

:pray:
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1131 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Eyeamok wrote:I saw something saying the 76ers were looking at Andre Iguodala. He has not played all season and he is 35 years old. What does he have to offer ? Besides experience. From what I recall his outside shot was not the most reliable either.

I don't get it either. He's been actively terrible for the Warriors over the last few years.
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#1132 » by tsmith » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:09 am

Kobblehead wrote:

I don't get it either. He's been actively terrible for the Warriors over the last few years.

The presence/guidance of someone who has been all the way and won it before could probably be beneficial. Wouldn't pay much for him though.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1133 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:19 am

tsmith wrote:The presence/guidance of someone who has been all the way and won it before could probably be beneficial. Wouldn't pay much for him though.

Yeah, but I think that benefit is more appropriately priced at $2.5m as a vet minimum addition in the summer.

Having to lose $17m in players to match his salary and move draft capital to get his team to trade him to me is the definition of wasteful and a dramatic overpay, in my eyes.

I think the Grizzlies are kidding themselves thinking they're going to be able to move him. A buyout is inevitable, I'm guessing. Andre is just going to have to be generous in the negotiation to get himself out. I think he will, he'll be 36 later this month. Try to win another championship while your knees are still semi-functional.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1134 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:26 am

https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/sources-knicks-recent-talks-with-pistons-about-andre-drummond-more-than-just-exploratory/312399416

Imagine the Knicks trying to build a team with Andre Drummond and Marcus Morris as franchise players.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#1135 » by Wilfried » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:35 am

Pelicans won 7 of their last 9 ... and Zion is almost there!!

Very fun team to follow.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,081

Post#1136 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
tsmith wrote:The presence/guidance of someone who has been all the way and won it before could probably be beneficial. Wouldn't pay much for him though.

Yeah, but I think that benefit is more appropriately priced at $2.5m as a vet minimum addition in the summer.

Having to lose $17m in players to match his salary and move draft capital to get his team to trade him to me is the definition of wasteful and a dramatic overpay, in my eyes.

I think the Grizzlies are kidding themselves thinking they're going to be able to move him. A buyout is inevitable, I'm guessing. Andre is just going to have to be generous in the negotiation to get himself out. I think he will, he'll be 36 later this month. Try to win another championship while your knees are still semi-functional.

Can always just use him as an expiring contract. It’s like us with Big Dog back in the day. He stayed on the roster all year then we traded his contract for Rodney Rogers, the Pelicans or hornets or whatever they were called at that point then cut Robinson and he signed with the Spurs.

There’s no need to entertain a buyout until after the trade deadline, especially with him potentially going to a playoff opponent.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,882

Post#1137 » by the_process » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 pm

I don't see the Grizz buying out Dre. They don't have to worry about agent pressures so much. No one is voluntarily going to Memphis. Either they are re-signing their own guys or they're overpaying guys or the guys they go after have no other offers.

Dallas can offer Courtney Lee's expiring, a min contract, and the GSW 2nd. At some point, Memphis likely takes that.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,081

Post#1138 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:05 pm

I think at this point they may go the other way and trade to get someone back that would help them in a playoff run. Like they could do something with the Pistons centered around Iggy for Rose and Snell and all of a sudden their rotation looks a lot deeper.

Iguodala himself would be an upgrade on some of their wings but that’s obviously not an option.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1139 » by Kobblehead » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 am

Kyle Kuzma is a doofus that needs to do a ton of growing up, but at least he wants to be great. No Davis or James and he comes out and drops 36.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,907

Post#1140 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:22 am

Wilfried wrote:Pelicans won 7 of their last 9 ... and Zion is almost there!!

Very fun team to follow.

Ingram now playing on a winning team not stat padding anymore. Yey.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers