ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,630

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#1301 » by youngcrev » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:42 am

76ciology wrote:What is your guys take on Maxey?

I think Maxey is a good player. Melton is not better than Maxey, as a player. But Melton is a better player than Maxey with the starters.

I dont mind holding unto Maxey. At some point our top guys will have a cold streak and we’d need Maxey.

But Melton has been great with our starters.
Milton has woken up as a 6th man scorer.

And at the same time, i can’t help but think we may get someone like Melton in return for Maxey. Someone who is not as good but is better for the team.

There’s no way you can have too much offensive fire power at your backcourt and still be able to distribute that much usage for Biid.

I was worried how Maxey would fit when we acquired Harden last year and thought he'd need to be a 6th man... But instead we saw him play his best basketball and look like an up and coming star.

He's just really elite as an off ball, weakside threat with his combination of driving and catch and shoot ability. I think he's far better when asked to be a pure scorer rather than when he's given PG responsibility.

I'm not throwing away what we saw last year with that group because they didn't look good together in 6 games this year while Embiid was out of shape and Harden trying to prove he can still play like his Houston self.

As for Melton vs Maxey, Melton has fit advantages due to the other end of the floor, but Maxey's offensive game has much more potential to impact games overall.

The best answer is probably that you start both of them and relegate PJ to a bench role. Having 5 guys on the floor that can dribble, pass and shoot is a pretty major advantage.

Regardless of fit with the starters, Maxey is far more important to what this team is going to be able to do in the post season, particularly when teams start to try and take away our bread and butter stuff.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,712

Post#1302 » by eyeatoma » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:31 pm

youngcrev wrote:

I think Maxey is a good player. Melton is not better than Maxey, as a player. But Melton is a better player than Maxey with the starters.

I dont mind holding unto Maxey. At some point our top guys will have a cold streak and we’d need Maxey.

And at the same time, i can’t help but think we may get someone like Melton in return for Maxey. Someone who is not as good but is better for the team.

There’s no way you can have too much offensive fire power at your backcourt and still be able to distribute that much usage for Biid.

I was worried how Maxey would fit when we acquired Harden last year and thought he'd need to be a 6th man... But instead we saw him play his best basketball and look like an up and coming star.

He's just really elite as an off ball, weakside threat with his combination of driving and catch and shoot ability. I think he's far better when asked to be a pure scorer rather than when he's given PG responsibility.

I'm not throwing away what we saw last year with that group because they didn't look good together in 6 games this year while Embiid was out of shape and Harden trying to prove he can still play like his Houston self.

As for Melton vs Maxey, Melton has fit advantages due to the other end of the floor, but Maxey's offensive game has much more potential to impact games overall.

The best answer is probably that you start both of them and relegate PJ to a bench role. Having 5 guys on the floor that can dribble, pass and shoot is a pretty major advantage.

Regardless of fit with the starters, Maxey is far more important to what this team is going to be able to do in the post season, particularly when teams start to try and take away our bread and butter stuff.
Well said

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,251

Post#1303 » by mjkvol » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:19 pm

youngcrev wrote:

This nails it. For years the problem here (well, one of them) was the lack of players that could get us that big bucket in crunch time, and now we have a plethora of options in those situations, plus some legit offense/defense rotations.

I'll never understand how having too much firepower could be anything but a plus, especially at playoff time when competing against good defenses every night that can scheme away a player or two in big spots. A lot is going to depend on Glenn managing this thing properly, the wild card in making this work.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,682

Post#1304 » by Jailblazers7 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:43 pm

The odd man out is clearly going to be PJ not Maxey. Maxey’s scoring is too valuable to this team’s ceiling and PJ doesn’t provide enough disruption on defense to justify a starting role. We’re either gonna need to play a lot of 3 guard lineups or start Thybulle or House (lol).

But the most likely scenario is probably that Maxey continues to start but Melton is the go-to in closing lineups. Doc can toggle between Melton/Maxey in the closing group based on match up & situational need. It’s a good problem to have because we used to struggle to put 5 good players on the court.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#1305 » by HardenGoat » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Sprinkle in Milton when Harden sits. He is showing some burst and is the better playmaker over Melton. Melton is better for closing. Let Maxey start but Doc should use both of those above guys in games to keep the other side guessing and keep the minutes manageable for Harden. The thing that breaks Harden down is fatigue but he won’t ever take himself out of a game.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#1306 » by Bum Adebayo » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:06 pm

PJ Tucker is the issue here, we would be better with Harden + Maxey + Melton starting than the corpse of Tucker.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,903

Post#1307 » by 76ciology » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:04 am

Yup, the only way we can play Maxey and Harden is with Tucker or even Tobi to the bench. Then we need to upgrade some size/defense at 3&4.

Maybe PJ’s 20 min last game is a step towards that.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1308 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:18 am

76ciology wrote:Yup, the only way we can play Maxey and Harden is with Tucker or even Tobi to the bench. Then we need to upgrade some size/defense at 3&4.

I think they try it like this for like a week. If it doesn't work they're going to move PJ to the bench. Book it.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1309 » by 76ciology » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:59 am

eyeatoma wrote:
76ciology wrote:Yup, the only way we can play Maxey and Harden is with Tucker or even Tobi to the bench. Then we need to upgrade some size/defense at 3&4.

I think they try it like this for like a week. If it doesn't work they're going to move PJ to the bench. Book it.

We could also try to be like the Celts where they run high octane offense and sacrifice some defense. Then we tighten on defense (using more Tucker and Melton) as go to crunch time.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,048

Post#1310 » by Mik317 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:21 am

even if Maxey doesn't "fit" w/ the starters (which is dumb since he started fine with them last year with either Tiise or Danny instead of PJ)

you don't trade him to just make this years team better in the short term. I don't get the idea of trying everything to salvage this season honestly....especially at the expense of the future.

Start Maxey, and then basically stagger him and Harden once the first rotation starts. And then go with the hot hands at the end of games. PJ doesn't need to be playing as many minutes as he has, nor does Harden.

Its really not that hard IMO
#NeverGonnaBeGood
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#1311 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:51 pm

Do not trade Maxey, it would be extremely foolish unless it's for another ascending player. If this team implodes in the playoffs, Harden could possibly be gone at the end of the year. I feel like Tyrese, Shake, and Melton are long-term fits while Harden is temporary. Let Maxey learn all he can from Harden until the torch is passed.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,737

Post#1312 » by FireMorey » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#1313 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:17 pm

It was a fun run while it lasted.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1314 » by eyeatoma » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:28 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:It was a fun run while it lasted.

Cmon bro. You know that if it goes bad they'll just bench PJ.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,468

Post#1315 » by Murray_17 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:41 pm

Kind of tricky to return on a back to back, i imagine he's gonna be on minute restrictions, but still looks risky.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,586

Post#1316 » by SixthStreet » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:28 am

Since he's been back he's making some elevated passing reads that he wasn't before. There might be a jump here next year to real star level play, at least on offense.

I never thought he'd have shot creation for others but if you look hard enough he's showing signs.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1317 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:54 pm

Waiting for the dynamite to go boom.

Read on Twitter

Maxey haters have at it.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1318 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:49 am

eyeatoma wrote:Waiting for the dynamite to go boom.

Read on Twitter

Maxey haters have at it.

Everyone kind of expects it. What just needs to happen is Maxey taking the offense into another level that he can make it up for the sacrifice on defense.

If Maxey can’t take our offense into another level, then why not just play more Milton or Melton?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1319 » by 76ciology » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:54 am

Worst FG% on floaters (min 2 att/g)

1. Keldon: 32.9%
2. Maxey: 34.9%
3. Payne: 36.1%
4. Bane: 38.5%
5. Dejounte: 39.3%
6. Barrett: 41.5%

Definitely can still improve
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1320 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:13 am

Replying to the Sixers-Jazz thread

Biid does not want to play with another big.
You can’t play Maxey and Harden without double big.

Maxey and Harden allows too much penetration to the paint that Biid alone wont be good enough to protect the paint. A really good example of this was the Jazz team with Gobert to the paint and having a Conley-Mitchell backcourt.

For now, Melton should start and end games. Maxey should be an explosive scorer off the bench. And if there is an offer we cant refuse (i.e Durant) for Maxey, I think you should do the trade but it doesnt necessarily mean that you should shop him

Return to Philadelphia 76ers