ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#1321 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:15 pm

eyeatoma wrote:Waiting for the dynamite to go boom.

Read on Twitter

Maxey haters have at it.

This is just proof of what I was saying, he needs to have reduced role and minutes if we want to achieve something. There are no words to describe how bad he has been on defense, turnstile and traffic cone falls short.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,847

Post#1322 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:07 pm

I think he can be and he needs to be used as how Heat uses Tyler Herro. Having Maxey, Shake and Niang almost gurantees you atleast 30-40pts off the bench.

60pts from Harden and Embiid
30pts from Tobi and Maxey
30pts from Melton, Milton and Niang

Thats how you get your 120pts
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,102

Post#1323 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:29 am

Would y'all trade Maxey for OG?

I was just thinking of how good of a fit OG would by on the 76ers.
Harden/Melton/OG/Harris/Embiid = Instant championship contenders
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1324 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:19 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Would y'all trade Maxey for OG?

I would. And i think it makes a lot of sense for both teams.

I think Maxey would be a good fit for Barnes. Barnes needs to play with 1-2 Maxeys in the backcourt.

I just dont know whats ur plan with FVV.

FVV
Maxey
Barnes
Siakam
Some center like Wembayama?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,267

Post#1325 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:48 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Would y'all trade Maxey for OG?

In a heartbeat. The question is whether Toronto would take Tobias back in the deal?

Something like Maxey/Thybulle/Harris for OG/Boucher/Trent Jr.

Maxey/Flynn
FVV/Thybulle
Barnes/Juancho
Harris/Thad
Siakam/Achiuwa

Harden/Milton
Melton/Trent Jr.
OG/Niang
Boucher/Tucker
Embiid/Harrell
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#1326 » by M2J » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:58 am

76ciology wrote:Replying to the Sixers-Jazz thread

Biid does not want to play with another big.
You can’t play Maxey and Harden without double big.

Maxey and Harden allows too much penetration to the paint that Biid alone wont be good enough to protect the paint. A really good example of this was the Jazz team with Gobert to the paint and having a Conley-Mitchell backcourt.

For now, Melton should start and end games. Maxey should be an explosive scorer off the bench. And if there is an offer we cant refuse (i.e Durant) for Maxey, I think you should do the trade but it doesnt necessarily mean that you should shop him

I generally agree. But I think Rivers and the crew should be applauded for the idea of 3 starting lineups. I feel like he's now gotten all of the personalities ready for them to maybe make a push

Maxey deserves credit for being mature, but it's clear that this has been hinted at. He even stated that "it was trending towards him coming off the bench". PJ didn't come here to come off the bench, even though he clearly should... Except for possibly the most important matchups for the sixers.

This year Rivers has finished a few or maybe just 1 game with Tobi on the bench, PJ on the bench... Including the Lakers game where he could be the best matchup vs LeBron but had no impact. Had Maxey in the game to be a solo player that could bust the press the Lakers play and no Melton. Took Harden off to close out the jazz.

There are so many I'll fitting pieces, this is the only path to winning a title. If they buy in like Maxey, who will be important to possibly close out many games with his shooting... It may work
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1327 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:35 am

M2J wrote:

Maxey and Harden allows too much penetration to the paint that Biid alone wont be good enough to protect the paint. A really good example of this was the Jazz team with Gobert to the paint and having a Conley-Mitchell backcourt.

For now, Melton should start and end games. Maxey should be an explosive scorer off the bench. And if there is an offer we cant refuse (i.e Durant) for Maxey, I think you should do the trade but it doesnt necessarily mean that you should shop him

I generally agree. But I think Rivers and the crew should be applauded for the idea of 3 starting lineups. I feel like he's now gotten all of the personalities ready for them to maybe make a push

Maxey deserves credit for being mature, but it's clear that this has been hinted at. He even stated that "it was trending towards him coming off the bench". PJ didn't come here to come off the bench, even though he clearly should... Except for possibly the most important matchups for the sixers.

This year Rivers has finished a few or maybe just 1 game with Tobi on the bench, PJ on the bench... Including the Lakers game where he could be the best matchup vs LeBron but had no impact. Had Maxey in the game to be a solo player that could bust the press the Lakers play and no Melton. Took Harden off to close out the jazz.

There are so many I'll fitting pieces, this is the only path to winning a title. If they buy in like Maxey, who will be important to possibly close out many games with his shooting... It may work

Rivers is an experienced coach. He knows to get the team play at a high level, the players have to play a high level and the only way you can get players play at a high level is giving them what they want.

Maxey is quite obvious to be more suited playing off the bench. 1, defense. 2, redundancy. But we kind of need to let Maxey start and let it come from Maxey himself that he wants to play off the bench. Imagine if Rivers had Maxey play off the bench from the start, I think that would create some friction between Maxey and Rivers.

For someone to buy into their role, one has to see that the other roles are not good for the team. And if it’s not good for the team, then it will not be good for him because the +/- will reflect that and it will show from the body language of your teammates.

Right now, everyone is happy with their role and you can see the joy right now with how the team is playing. There’s just so much confidence and everyone seems to buy into our vision on how we’re gonna win it this year.
M2J
Starter

Post#1328 » by M2J » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:55 am

76ciology wrote:
M2J wrote:

Rivers is an experienced coach. He knows to get the team play at a high level, the players have to play a high level and the only way you can get players play at a high level is giving them what they want.

Maxey is quite obvious to be more suited playing off the bench. 1, defense. 2, redundancy. But we kind of need to let Maxey start and let it come from Maxey himself that he wants to play off the bench. Imagine if Rivers had Maxey play off the bench from the start, I think that would create some friction between Maxey and Rivers.

For someone to buy into their role, one has to see that the other roles are not good for the team. And if it’s not good for the team, then it will not be good for him because the +/- will reflect that and it will show from the body language of your teammates.

Right now, everyone is happy with their role and you can see the joy right now with how the team is playing. There’s just so much confidence and everyone seems to buy into our vision on how we’re gonna win it this year.

Definitely... Eventually all will reveal itself. The stars Joel and James have to see it too. It's definitely taking time for PJ to realize he's not always going to be the best option either. Tobi has been doing great closing out games on players that should be Tucker's assignment surprisingly. The bench lineup with Maxey at the end of quarters is starting to feel right. Doc has chosen to take a more offensive approach with it. I would like an additional 2 way player in there like Melton or Harris to go along with Tisse or PJ. But they gotta get a backup center
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,487

Post#1329 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:21 pm

Why does it take a 3rd year player going to a HC who has one a championship and say "Hey if you need me to come of the bench no Problem." "Hey if it's better for the team that I come off the bench I will NP!" Why ? And thank you Maxey.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
M2J
Starter

Post#1330 » by M2J » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:07 pm

Eyeamok wrote:Why does it take a 3rd year player going to a HC who has one a championship and say "Hey if you need me to come of the bench no Problem." "Hey if it's better for the team that I come off the bench I will NP!" Why ? And thank you Maxey.

Well he needed to be on board with it. Though it definitely wasn't his idea. They probably floated it around and he sent a text to agree. Of course the story also makes him look really good, so it doesn't come across as a referendum on his abilities. Furthermore if the head coach didn't want him coming out the bench, he wouldn't accept it and would still start him.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#1331 » by HardenGoat » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:30 pm

He is going to thrive being the first or second option consistently. He pairs well with Milton. One player that has found their niche and is now a big part of the system is Niang. He is really spreading the floor for the team and is often overlooked. The threat of his 3 allows lanes to open.
M2J
Starter

Post#1332 » by M2J » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:45 am

HardenGoat wrote:He is going to thrive being the first or second option consistently. He pairs well with Milton. One player that has found their niche and is now a big part of the system is Niang. He is really spreading the floor for the team and is often overlooked. The threat of his 3 allows lanes to open.

If only they could find a defensive/rebounding/lob threat anchor for the bench unit.... They'd be set
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 583

Post#1333 » by blargh » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:54 am

If Maxey is playing with the bench, they should experiment with some different defensive schemes. One of the problems when he plays with the starters is the Sixers have committed to Jojo in full drop coverage, because he’s so good at the rim. That means the perimeter defenders almost always have to chase over the top of the screen. We have some guys with long arms like Melton who can still bother the shot from the side coming around the screen, but Maxey is terribly suited for it. With Maxey, I think we’re better off with a guy like Reed who can hard show as the guard comes off the screen. We should also try zone, though from what i’ve seen, Maxey has trouble picking up his man in the zone.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1334 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:56 am

M2J wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:Why does it take a 3rd year player going to a HC who has one a championship and say "Hey if you need me to come of the bench no Problem." "Hey if it's better for the team that I come off the bench I will NP!" Why ? And thank you Maxey.

Well he needed to be on board with it. Though it definitely wasn't his idea. They probably floated it around and he sent a text to agree. Of course the story also makes him look really good, so it doesn't come across as a referendum on his abilities. Furthermore if the head coach didn't want him coming out the bench, he wouldn't accept it and would still start him.

Exactly.

Its also how Doc operates. I believe he was asked about player development (semi related to Ben and how a lot of guys had career best years with him) in one podcast, he said something like you can’t force a player to improve. It needs to come from the player.

Thats where some coaches went wrong. They might be smart to know what to do. But they lack experience and that human touch, that if they force a role a player does not want to play. It creates a lot of friction and chemistry issues with the team.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1335 » by 76ciology » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 861

Post#1336 » by Jay555 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:51 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maxey to the bench solves a ton of problems. Props to Maxey for wanting to come off the bench. Kid has a bright future. He will get paid like Jordan Poole.

With Maxey as a 6th man, our bench are no joke. Maxey 20 pts, Milton 10 pts, Niang and Harrell combined for 10-15 pts, that’s a serious production no other team can match.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,267

Post#1337 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:14 pm

Not surprised, glad it’s working out as expected! Small sample size but I expect it to continue to be a large net positive.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#1338 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:45 pm

Maxey is definitely a very welcome addition to any team if he is your 6th best player against most teams.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,737

Post#1339 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:30 am

Ngl haven't seen the games but in theory it makes a ton of sense. Glad he seems to be embracing it and everything I've read about him it's no surprise.

A 6th man that you can pencil in for 20 points every night probably isn't a thing outside of elite teams. Still gets plenty of time for high percentage shots working off Harden and Embiid but gets more time to get into attack mode as the main guy.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,737

Post#1340 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:Maxey is definitely a very welcome addition to any team if he is your 6th best player against most teams.

Decided to hit "display this post" for the fun of it. You are very consistent and show a willingness to adapt. B+

Return to Philadelphia 76ers