ImageImageImage

The most relevant/irrelevant game of the year, Pistons @ Sixers 4/10 7:00pm EST

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,641

Re: The most relevant/irrelevant game of the year, Pistons @ Sixers 4/10 7:00pm EST 

Post#141 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:06 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Bodner has always come off as a bit of a jerk himself. Especially when he was on here years ago. Doc probably picked up on that and was defensive. The thing is that Doc isn't wrong. Him, Cassel, Dave, the rest of the staff...They know more than Bodner or any of us do. That's a fact. Crucify me all you want, I'm not taking Docs side, but he's of a greater we basketball mind than any of us are. Does Reed need more minutes? Absolutely he does. Is he ready for the playoffs? That's a tough sell. I've been beating the drum for Reed since the start of the season, but it has to be done the right way. He should have been integrated into the lineup a long time ago. That's on Doc for sure, but it's a bit late in the game to switch things up. Doc stated that DJ will play against the bigger 5s and Reed will be a small ball center. Toronto...has smaller 5s. I expect Reed to get a look against them in this series. If we play Miami for example...Then Doc will most likely go with DJ. His statement makes sense to me. Is Reed the more talented of the two? Yes...at this point he is, but DJ has the experience, and that's who Doc will go with. Next season it'll be Reeds job all day everyday.

“Doc is right and knows more than all of us, thus shouldn’t be questioned”

“Doc should have integrated Reed into the lineup earlier in the year, but it’s late in the game now”

Pick one. He botched this. Bodner was about to ask him why he was only using Reed more frequently in the last few weeks instead of a longer integration before Doc rudely interrupted him.

This is the “would you ask Pop that question?” all over again. He’s riding high on his reputation, but he’s been a “fine” coach if you remove his time coaching one of the best starting five (top to bottom) in the past 30 years with the Celtics.

You can't just twist my words and use the parts to cherry pick what I wrote, but that's what clowns like you do on here
Look.... It's a tough situation, that's the point I was making. You clearly didn't read what I wrote in the second paragraph. Again you just picked out the parts you thought would work for your pointless ill intended rebuttal.

I never said that Doc shouldn't be questioned...You're putting words in my mouth thus making this entire debate a moot point. Once you start to implement openly blatant lies to back your "ideology" you lose ALL credit. Take notes on this because THAT is exactly what you have done. Therefore you already have instantly killed any credibility. I simply never said those words. Find that quote and i'll apologize. I can't help you interpret things like a five year old, but you can't just go around lying to further your stance. Doesn't work that way bud.

Yeah...Doc should have integrated Reed once the Harden trade happened. Where the Hell does a rule state that I need to pick a side with this??? Good luck dealing in absolutes, you wont get far. Try and keep an open mind about things maybe? He (PAUL REED) should have had an opportunity to win the backup center job. That doesn't mean that signing DJ for depth was a bad thing. We needed a veteran center behind Embiid at the very least for injury insurance.DJ had to play in order to get to know the system. again it's a tough situation getting everyone on the same page (clearly a big time issue that you have). It's not always one or the other. Christ have you even ever watched playoff basketball??? My God! The matchups and lineups switch daily from series to series. Boban Marjonovich played a ton against the Nets the one year and never saw the floor again. You can't be a fan of this game and be this ignorant...Oh wait...Maybe you can lol.

Oh..I agree, he botched his answer, but it wasn't because he doesn't know what he's talking about. He was simply irritated because he clearly stated twice before Dbod asked that question that he didn't want to talk about it. In other words, he knew it was coming. The only thing he botched was how he delivered his answer. Then again a lot of people (such as yourself) seem to be impaired when it comes to understanding things, so it does get frustrating. I'm not condoning how Doc answered the question, but he gave fair warning that he didn't want to talk about it. He probably should have just said "next question." It would have saved a whole lot of drama that people like you run with.
The same people complaining about how Doc spoke to Bodner turn around and complain about how sensitive and soft everyone has gotten in todays society. Bodner is a reporter, it's his job to ask tough questions and I'm sure his skin is thick enough to handle rude/harsh answers. I doubt he went home and cried in a pillow. Only people that don't like Rivers as a coach are going to use that angle to further their stance on him. Cmon man, be smarter, do better.

I don't see it as him riding high on his reputation. He's been in the game for 40 years dating back to college. He certainly knows more than the likes of an armchair recliner fan such as yourself.

Oh...Where did I say he's been a fine coach? Never said that, but I do think he's experienced and again...Knows more than YOU. He's won a finals but that's not good enough because it was 14 years ago? What kind of crap is that? Again you're going for the low hanging fruit...Here I'll get you a basket. Seriously...How many current coaches in the NBA have been a head coach of a team that has won the finals currently coaching? Lue, Spoelstra, Nurse, Carlisle, Kerr, Pop, Budz, Doc and that's about IT! I may be missing someone, but i'm not going to go through 30 plus teams to find out who else. So yeah...winning a ring while remaining in the league with the longevity of Doc deserves a bit of respect behind his name. Again, if you don't like him that's fine, but lets not act like he's a dumpster fire trash coach who never gets his teams to the playoffs. If he was, he wouldn't be keeping a job for 20 plus years. In fact he's the longest tenured coach next to Pop. THAT says something right there. Oh what? All the teams that hire him are just stupid for doing so? So the casual fan knows more than an entire organization now? Puh-lease! Have some faith in our team, and for the greater good of positivity...Love yourself more than you do. It's not fair that you're this ignorant. There are places...Safe places for you. I can get you a doll if you want.

That Boston team....Top bottom one of the best starting fives???? Oh...So a second year point guard in Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins were part of that top to bottom starting five in the last 30 years??? ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO MAKE THAT CLAIM???? Kendrick Fking Perkins???? Yo, you are LOST bro. OUT THERE if you think that. Nah homie, KG, Pierce, and Allen were all double digit year veterans that were past their prime. Not exactly the best starting five top to bottom in the last 30 years! LOL! Sure, Rondo became a decent point guard, but he's no HOF player, and since you're claiming Kendrick Perkins and his 5.4 ppg career average as an integral part of the one of the most elite starting fives in the past 30 years you take a big fat L on this one. In fact, I'll just get you a body bag and put you in it. Seriously get some better takes. Trying to be complex while not sounding complex in the least gets you stopped right away. Glenn Davis, Tony Allen, Eddie House...These aren't exactly HOF players coming off the bench either. That was a complete team and he got the job done. Two years later he went toe to toe with the Lakers again and damn near won that one. Again, I'm not calling Doc a savant God of basketball coaches, but he's better than what a lot of people (who don't like him) are making him out to be.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,253

Re: The most relevant/irrelevant game of the year, Pistons @ Sixers 4/10 7:00pm EST 

Post#142 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:30 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Bodner has always come off as a bit of a jerk himself. Especially when he was on here years ago. Doc probably picked up on that and was defensive. The thing is that Doc isn't wrong. Him, Cassel, Dave, the rest of the staff...They know more than Bodner or any of us do. That's a fact. Crucify me all you want, I'm not taking Docs side, but he's of a greater we basketball mind than any of us are. Does Reed need more minutes? Absolutely he does. Is he ready for the playoffs? That's a tough sell. I've been beating the drum for Reed since the start of the season, but it has to be done the right way. He should have been integrated into the lineup a long time ago. That's on Doc for sure, but it's a bit late in the game to switch things up. Doc stated that DJ will play against the bigger 5s and Reed will be a small ball center. Toronto...has smaller 5s. I expect Reed to get a look against them in this series. If we play Miami for example...Then Doc will most likely go with DJ. His statement makes sense to me. Is Reed the more talented of the two? Yes...at this point he is, but DJ has the experience, and that's who Doc will go with. Next season it'll be Reeds job all day everyday.

“Doc is right and knows more than all of us, thus shouldn’t be questioned”

“Doc should have integrated Reed into the lineup earlier in the year, but it’s late in the game now”

Pick one. He botched this. Bodner was about to ask him why he was only using Reed more frequently in the last few weeks instead of a longer integration before Doc rudely interrupted him.

This is the “would you ask Pop that question?” all over again. He’s riding high on his reputation, but he’s been a “fine” coach if you remove his time coaching one of the best starting five (top to bottom) in the past 30 years with the Celtics.

You can't just twist my words and use the parts to cherry pick what I wrote, but that's what clowns like you do on here
Look.... It's a tough situation, that's the point I was making. You clearly didn't read what I wrote in the second paragraph. Again you just picked out the parts you thought would work for your pointless ill intended rebuttal.

I never said that Doc shouldn't be questioned...You're putting words in my mouth thus making this entire debate a moot point. Once you start to implement openly blatant lies to back your "ideology" you lose ALL credit. Take notes on this because THAT is exactly what you have done. Therefore you already have instantly killed any credibility. I simply never said those words. Find that quote and i'll apologize. I can't help you interpret things like a five year old, but you can't just go around lying to further your stance. Doesn't work that way bud.

Yeah...Doc should have integrated Reed once the Harden trade happened. Where the Hell does a rule state that I need to pick a side with this??? Good luck dealing in absolutes, you wont get far. Try and keep an open mind about things maybe? He (PAUL REED) should have had an opportunity to win the backup center job. That doesn't mean that signing DJ for depth was a bad thing. We needed a veteran center behind Embiid at the very least for injury insurance.DJ had to play in order to get to know the system. again it's a tough situation getting everyone on the same page (clearly a big time issue that you have). It's not always one or the other. Christ have you even ever watched playoff basketball??? My God! The matchups and lineups switch daily from series to series. Boban Marjonovich played a ton against the Nets the one year and never saw the floor again. You can't be a fan of this game and be this ignorant...Oh wait...Maybe you can lol.

Oh..I agree, he botched his answer, but it wasn't because he doesn't know what he's talking about. He was simply irritated because he clearly stated twice before Dbod asked that question that he didn't want to talk about it. In other words, he knew it was coming. The only thing he botched was how he delivered his answer. Then again a lot of people (such as yourself) seem to be impaired when it comes to understanding things, so it does get frustrating. I'm not condoning how Doc answered the question, but he gave fair warning that he didn't want to talk about it. He probably should have just said "next question." It would have saved a whole lot of drama that people like you run with.
The same people complaining about how Doc spoke to Bodner turn around and complain about how sensitive and soft everyone has gotten in todays society. Bodner is a reporter, it's his job to ask tough questions and I'm sure his skin is thick enough to handle rude/harsh answers. I doubt he went home and cried in a pillow. Only people that don't like Rivers as a coach are going to use that angle to further their stance on him. Cmon man, be smarter, do better.

I don't see it as him riding high on his reputation. He's been in the game for 40 years dating back to college. He certainly knows more than the likes of an armchair recliner fan such as yourself.

Oh...Where did I say he's been a fine coach? Never said that, but I do think he's experienced and again...Knows more than YOU. He's won a finals but that's not good enough because it was 14 years ago? What kind of crap is that? Again you're going for the low hanging fruit...Here I'll get you a basket. Seriously...How many current coaches in the NBA have been a head coach of a team that has won the finals currently coaching? Lue, Spoelstra, Nurse, Carlisle, Kerr, Pop, Budz, Doc and that's about IT! I may be missing someone, but i'm not going to go through 30 plus teams to find out who else. So yeah...winning a ring while remaining in the league with the longevity of Doc deserves a bit of respect behind his name. Again, if you don't like him that's fine, but lets not act like he's a dumpster fire trash coach who never gets his teams to the playoffs. If he was, he wouldn't be keeping a job for 20 plus years. In fact he's the longest tenured coach next to Pop. THAT says something right there. Oh what? All the teams that hire him are just stupid for doing so? So the casual fan knows more than an entire organization now? Puh-lease! Have some faith in our team, and for the greater good of positivity...Love yourself more than you do. It's not fair that you're this ignorant. There are places...Safe places for you. I can get you a doll if you want.

That Boston team....Top bottom one of the best starting fives???? Oh...So a second year point guard in Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins were part of that top to bottom starting five in the last 30 years??? ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO MAKE THAT CLAIM???? Kendrick Fking Perkins???? Yo, you are LOST bro. OUT THERE if you think that. Nah homie, KG, Pierce, and Allen were all double digit year veterans that were past their prime. Not exactly the best starting five top to bottom in the last 30 years! LOL! Sure, Rondo became a decent point guard, but he's no HOF player, and since you're claiming Kendrick Perkins and his 5.4 ppg career average as an integral part of the one of the most elite starting fives in the past 30 years you take a big fat L on this one. In fact, I'll just get you a body bag and put you in it. Seriously get some better takes. Trying to be complex while not sounding complex in the least gets you stopped right away. Glenn Davis, Tony Allen, Eddie House...These aren't exactly HOF players coming off the bench either. That was a complete team and he got the job done. Two years later he went toe to toe with the Lakers again and damn near won that one. Again, I'm not calling Doc a savant God of basketball coaches, but he's better than what a lot of people (who don't like him) are making him out to be.

Is there a Cliffs Notes version of that?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,468

Post#143 » by Murray_17 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:41 am

Jordan -14
Bball +30

lol
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#144 » by mjkvol » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:45 am

Murray_17 wrote:Jordan -14
Bball +30

lol

"Would you ask POP about players' plus-minus? Then don't ask me - I've earned that".

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,175

Post#145 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:55 am

mjkvol wrote:
Is there a Cliffs Notes version of that?

The cliff notes would probably be too long. I gave up after being called a clown because I disagreed with something he said. It’s best to hand him the W and move along.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,882

Post#146 » by the_process » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:18 am

Can we just all agree that Glenn Rivers is a ****head? :lol:

He’s been at this gig long enough to know dealing with the media is part of it. And when your back up center sucks and you continue to play him anyway instead of the young guy who has shown a little and has some potential… you’re going to get asked about it. It’s your job, a simple one at that, to answer the question without being a condescending ***hole.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by mjkvol » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:51 pm

the_process wrote:Can we just all agree that Glenn Rivers is a ****head? :lol:

He’s been at this gig long enough to know dealing with the media is part of it. And when your back up center sucks and you continue to play him anyway instead of the young guy who has shown a little and has some potential… you’re going to get asked about it. It’s your job, a simple one at that, to answer the question without being a condescending ***hole.

And maybe at the same time not completely marginalize a breakout effort by a hardworking kid trying to earn a role and contribute.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,505

Post#148 » by Eyeamok » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:50 pm

I think Tobias Harris might be un-coachable. I've seen him play very good games when Harden is on the floor. It's like he knows his role then. Without Harden the guy is horrible and goes back to his ineffective way of playing.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,505

Post#149 » by Eyeamok » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:53 pm

mjkvol wrote:

And maybe at the same time not completely marginalize a breakout effort by a hardworking kid trying to earn a role and contribute.

Absolutely that is the biggest thing here. Put your ego aside and give the young man some credit. Paul Reed played with effort and the crowd loved him, he played better than your veteran backup center. Doc don't take a dump on him, laud him and say "good job young fella. We will see what happens in the Playoffs."

Doc is feeling the heat.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
the_process
RealGM

Post#150 » by the_process » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:43 pm

Eyeamok wrote:I think Tobias Harris might be un-coachable. I've seen him play very good games when Harden is on the floor. It's like he knows his role then. Without Harden the guy is horrible and goes back to his ineffective way of playing.

But, but... leader! And books!
the_process
RealGM

Post#151 » by the_process » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:22 pm

mjkvol wrote:

I hear that, but then you would lending credence to the idea that it was Glenn's fault YSBS decided to have a hissy fit and quit on the franchise.

These are adults here. It sucks for Reed, and he has to work it out with Glenn.

On the bright side, Glenn is clearly getting uncomfortable here.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#152 » by mjkvol » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:43 pm

Eyeamok wrote:I think Tobias Harris might be un-coachable. I've seen him play very good games when Harden is on the floor. It's like he knows his role then. Without Harden the guy is horrible and goes back to his ineffective way of playing.

Could be, but my guess is that Glenn, knowing that Tobias is out of his comfort zone as a C&S guy, is encouraging him to "operate" as a primary option when Harden is off the floor.

Moving his ass out of here and getting at least something useful in return is Job #1 for Morey this summer.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,682

Post#153 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:38 pm

That sounds like he coachable then, no? He’s following the coaches instructions based on lineups lol.

As for the Doc/Bodner interaction, I did skim that novel above and I think it’s important to note one thing. People aren’t mad at Doc because his comment was rude…people are mad because it was stupid. Doc can treat Bodner like **** for all I care but he was given basically a softball question, that he knew was coming, and gave the worst possible answer.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#154 » by mjkvol » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:41 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:

That sounds like he coachable then, no? He’s following the coaches instructions based on lineups lol.

As for the Doc/Bodner interaction, I did skim that novel above and I think it’s important to note one thing. People aren’t mad at Doc because his comment was rude…people are mad because it was stupid. Doc can treat Bodner like **** for all I care but he was given basically a softball question, that he knew was coming, and gave the worst possible answer.

Exactly. It was 100% the way it related to a young player who had just balled out and had the crowd chanting his name. Instead of giving him his moment and maybe praising him while saying who plays depends on matchups, Glenn decided to take a big dump on Reed. Truly the actions of an insecure, arrogant ****.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers