Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 865

Re: Joel Embiid Hypothetical Trade Thread 

Post#141 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue May 21, 2024 5:56 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:.

Again if you obtain Adebayo, Herro, and picks for example, I'd say you've accomplished "new role Embiid" with Adebayo, and you've obtained Herro, a three-level scorer who can create his own shot, and picks, and you still have room under the cap to sign Paul George for example. Now you have three potential closers -- George, Herro, and Maxey -- along with roughly the same offense and defense at the center position you're hoping to achieve with Embiid.

I mean at this point it looks like people want to keep Embiid simply because they have some kind of emotional tie to him.

While counting on Pat Riley’s naïveté? Cause Pat would take him in a heart beat. And mend fences with Jimmy to get those two together again.

Wonderful. We'll see you in the playoffs with a starting lineup featuring the highly athletic Maxey, Herro, George, and Adebayo, while you trot the lethargic and very likely injured Embiid out there.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,066

Post#142 » by Mik317 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:59 pm

The Heat have been a better team without Herro lol

That team would be in the exact same spot as the current sixers AT BEST

Not to mention George only comes here to play WITH Biid. And he'd do it as the third option not the likely second or even first he'd be in that scenario

you claim people are emotionally attached to Biid (and yeah they are no doubt) but you are the opposite at this stage in which your hatred for him blinds you.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#143 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue May 21, 2024 6:00 pm

Mik317 wrote:The Heat have been a better team without Herro lol

But if we scale back Embiid's offensive role, which will naturally make his defensive contribution otherworldly, we'll vault ourselves into the stratosphere.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#144 » by Mik317 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:02 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:

But if we scale back Embiid's offensive role, which will naturally make his defensive contribution otherworldly, we'll vault ourselves into the stratosphere.

It would also make his offensive contribution more consistent by virtue of not being as overtaxed in role and usage. Its not really that hard of a concept to grasp
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,113

Post#145 » by Stanford » Tue May 21, 2024 6:05 pm

This is quite the thread
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#146 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue May 21, 2024 6:05 pm

Mik317 wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

It would also make his offensive contribution more consistent by virtue of not being as overtaxed in role and usage. Its not really that hard of a concept to grasp

It would make his offensive contribution consistently worse, which would have a questionable effect on his defensive contribution, which itself would have a questionable effect on the team's fortunes. Yet people act like that "math" is already in place and a proven formula for playoffs success.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#147 » by Mik317 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:14 pm

....I don't follow your logic here.

So Biid not having to do as much on offensive will make him worse on defense is what you are saying?
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,081

Post#148 » by Sixerscan » Tue May 21, 2024 6:37 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:No not difficult to grasp at all, I just find it surprising that people believe Embiid carries greater value in increasing his defensive role while decreasing his offensive role, as opposed to simply trading him and acquiring value via other players in return for him.

Again if you obtain Adebayo, Herro, and picks for example, I'd say you've accomplished "new role Embiid" with Adebayo, and you've obtained Herro, a three-level scorer who can create his own shot, and picks, and you still have room under the cap to sign Paul George for example. Now you have three potential closers -- George, Herro, and Maxey -- along with roughly the same offense and defense at the center position you're hoping to achieve with Embiid.

I mean at this point it looks like people want to keep Embiid simply because they have some kind of emotional tie to him.

You're still not getting it (either intentionally or unintentionally) no one is talking about Embiid basically cutting his offense in half and only averaging 19 a night like Bam does. We're talking about him going from 35 to like 28. (I don't care about the literal numbers I'm just trying to explain to you what the step back that we're talking about looks like as black and white as possible)

Accusing people of bias when you aren't even comprehending the basic point is something.

As a function of averaging ~7 fewer points per game, what exactly do you expect Embiid to do defensively he isn't doing currently, and how will that help the Sixers get beyond the second round?

Do you really think I'm saying "keep the team exactly the same, Embiid score 7 points fewer, and the defensive impact alone will catapult them to the title"? Come on. The whole point is he is being asked to do too much even as the best player on the team, to the point that he's not being efficiently optimized. It's one discrete factor in a larger offseason where Maxey needs to keep developing and they need to completely remake the roster.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,894

Post#149 » by the_process » Tue May 21, 2024 10:41 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Mik317 wrote:You groom Maxey for that role and just because Biid isn’t the main option in the clutch doesn’t mean he only takes 5 shots now and ONLY focuses on defense

The idea is that he doesn’t have to average 35 anymore and doesn’t have to be involved in every play down and can get his in the flow of the offense. Not to mention he’d still get assists off of dho and the fear of havjng him in single coverage.

Right now the defense knows where the ball is going to go and can stunt to make the catch difficult and take up time. If they had to fear offense coming from other sources it makes that stunt a lot harder

It’s not a difficult concept to grasp here

No not difficult to grasp at all, I just find it surprising that people believe Embiid carries greater value in increasing his defensive role while decreasing his offensive role, as opposed to simply trading him and acquiring value via other players in return for him.

Adebayo does not have Embiid's gravity, and you vastly overrate Herro.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,285

Post#150 » by mjkvol » Tue May 21, 2024 11:01 pm

the_process wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
Mik317 wrote:You groom Maxey for that role and just because Biid isn’t the main option in the clutch doesn’t mean he only takes 5 shots now and ONLY focuses on defense

The idea is that he doesn’t have to average 35 anymore and doesn’t have to be involved in every play down and can get his in the flow of the offense. Not to mention he’d still get assists off of dho and the fear of havjng him in single coverage.

Right now the defense knows where the ball is going to go and can stunt to make the catch difficult and take up time. If they had to fear offense coming from other sources it makes that stunt a lot harder

No not difficult to grasp at all, I just find it surprising that people believe Embiid carries greater value in increasing his defensive role while decreasing his offensive role, as opposed to simply trading him and acquiring value via other players in return for him.

Adebayo has zero gravity. Nice player, does a lot of things for a team, but let's be real here for a second. And the Heat have been trying to dump Herro pretty much since giving him that crazy contract.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#151 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed May 22, 2024 10:15 pm

the_process wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

What good is gravity when you can't get the ball to the open shooter reliably and you're prone to turnovers under defensive pressure? Under those conditions gravity benefits the other team. This is why the Nuggets can win a championship revolving their offense around a center -- he has an exceptional ability to hit the open man. The gravity Embiid generates results far too often in turnovers on the other hand. Unless you have the one and only Jokic, Adebayo is the kind of center you win championships with in today's NBA -- somebody who can run, catch lobs, and play defense. And unlike Embiid, come playoff time he's likely to be healthy and driven.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,957

Post#152 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu May 23, 2024 5:45 am

Wild thread. glad I missed it until now.

Even at embiids worst, he gets everyone else insanely easy looks compared to what they otherwise would get.

Some of you really don't understand how good he is and it's wild.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,962

Post#153 » by Foshan » Thu May 23, 2024 12:51 pm

Seeing as how this has moved well past any form of valuable communication, I’m going to lock it and let trades go back into the fantasy trade thread.

Foshan

Return to Philadelphia 76ers