ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,392

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#1501 » by Arsenal » Thu May 23, 2024 8:32 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Neubeck saying we tried to trade for OG but didn’t have the young players to go along with picks in the trade.

Will be even more of an issue moving forward imo. We have zero tradeable contracts now.

Fortunately for us this summer he just costs money. Unfortunately he will be an instant bad contract if we bid high enough to get him. Fortunately the cap is rising so fast that an overpay may look ok by year 3.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1502 » by the_process » Thu May 23, 2024 8:49 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
the_process wrote:
FireMorey wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/76ers-aiming-to-pursue-a-familiar-path-this-offseason-trying-to-add-another-all-star-to-joel-embiid-tyrese-maxey-143720904.html

Jake Fischer on the Sixers. Some key notes:

-Reiterates PG is the top option. Said if the Sixers give him a max, a full NTC could be part of a deal if he leaves LAC.
-Mentions OG Anunoby as a possibility. Said league sources believe Siakam returning to Indy is highly likely, but league sources think there's a possibility OG could sign elsewhere than the Knicks.
-Says Sixers will pursue Mitchell if he's available on the trade market, but it's looking like he'll re-sign and they'll trade Garland.
-Says DeRozan isn't really an option.
-Says Morey loves Butler, tried to get him many times in Houston, but league sources believe Butler stays in Miami.

-Maybe most interestingly, says if the Sixers strike out on all fronts to land a star, they'll likely sign a bunch of one year deal guys again and try this again next summer.

That would immediately become the worst contract in the league.

You would think teams would have learned from Beal. :nonono:

Bad contract, but in fairness, Beal never has and never will be as good of a player as PG.

I agree that’s overkill though.

Curious, who are you rooting we get?

Also, maxing out PG would not be my first choice but it's certainly not worst case scenario, and it's absolutely Morey's Plan A. My problem with it would be giving him a NTC. Maybe you give one of those to prime Michael Jordan, maybe you don't. Anyone else? No shot.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,139

Post#1503 » by Stanford » Thu May 23, 2024 9:15 pm

The reason I've come around on a Paul George trade is that he's at least going to be tradable in a year. A NTC throws that out.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1504 » by Stanford » Thu May 23, 2024 9:26 pm

FireMorey wrote:I'm fine with Anunoby. I'm not fine paying him 40m per season. Overpaying non stars is just not a good way to build a contender.

Okay, but if you don't get Paul George or Jimmy Butler, then what? You're going to end up either overpaying for whoever is left (OG, Ingram, Lavine, Derozan, etc.), filling out the roster with sub-Aaron Gordon level role players on multi-year deals, or loading up on 1 year guys and trying again next year, which everyone here has said would be a disaster.

We're going to have to choose between a bunch of bad options. They're all bad.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,296

Post#1505 » by mjkvol » Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:Although I also like the idea of taking on a couple of overpaid reclamation projects for free in Collins and Wiggins and keeping all the picks and drafting a guy who supposedly could become Markkanen-lite in Filipowski.

Another player like that I would throw into that mix would be Hunter.

If you're trading for Hunter, whom the Hawks will not give away, might as well just sign Pal Jorge. Dude is hurt the same amount anyway.

I would only want him in a salary dump situation, I'm not giving up assets for him.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#1506 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu May 23, 2024 9:37 pm

Stanford wrote:The reason I've come around on a Paul George trade is that he's at least going to be tradable in a year. A NTC throws that out.

Are you a Brandon Ingram truther yet? :lol:
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1507 » by Stanford » Thu May 23, 2024 9:43 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Stanford wrote:The reason I've come around on a Paul George trade is that he's at least going to be tradable in a year. A NTC throws that out.

Are you a Brandon Ingram truther yet? :lol:

I really think he stinks but it's not like I'm watching a bunch of Pelican games.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,749

Post#1508 » by FireMorey » Thu May 23, 2024 9:52 pm

Stanford wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I'm fine with Anunoby. I'm not fine paying him 40m per season. Overpaying non stars is just not a good way to build a contender.

Okay, but if you don't get Paul George or Jimmy Butler, then what? You're going to end up either overpaying for whoever is left (OG, Ingram, Lavine, Derozan, etc.), filling out the roster with sub-Aaron Gordon level role players on multi-year deals, or loading up on 1 year guys and trying again next year, which everyone here has said would be a disaster.

We're going to have to choose between a bunch of bad options. They're all bad.

Anunoby was listed as one of the top options. If they've exhausted most options and he's the only one remaining, then I'd maybe consider it. But not as a top option. But even then I'd probably prefer to sign Monk, KCP, Valanciunas, rather than just Anunoby, if it came down to it.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1509 » by Arsenal » Thu May 23, 2024 10:09 pm

OG Anunoby at $35m in year one is not ideal, but isn't terrible. Once he gets into the $40m/yr range it's a bad contract. But again, at least in a couple years it would become not so bad due to the fast-rising cap/tax.

Of course with our luck he'd be injured all the time and/or turn into a pumpkin ala Assassin after we gave up the farm for him.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 18,346

Post#1510 » by Slacktard » Thu May 23, 2024 10:27 pm

Did the no-trade clause criteria change? I thought the only way a player could get it was if they spent 4 years with the team that was signing them to a free agent contract.

Paul George has spent 0 seasons with the Sixers.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#1511 » by youngcrev » Thu May 23, 2024 11:30 pm

Guys who played on minimum contracts this past year:

Derrick Jones Jr, Isaiah Joe, Kelly Oubre, Malik Beasley, Cam Payne, Pat Beverley, Dario Saric, Haywood Highsmith

Scary to be relying making a high end signing for the minimum, but on the flip side, having legitimate roles available could making signing a quality player for the minimum more likely.

If a max guy is on the table, get him here and figure out the rest after.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,337

Post#1512 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 23, 2024 11:37 pm

Offersheet Saddiq Bey. He was a true difference maker in the Hawks best lineups this year.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#1513 » by youngcrev » Thu May 23, 2024 11:40 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Offersheet Sadiq Bey. He was a true difference maker in the Hawks best lineups this year.

I could see Bey being a Jae Crowder type for a contender, but he tore his ACL in late March. I don't think you'd want to give him a deal that the Hawks wouldn't match.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1514 » by the_process » Fri May 24, 2024 4:21 am

Kobblehead wrote:Offersheet Saddiq Bey. He was a true difference maker in the Hawks best lineups this year.

Was he though? I'm not pretending I watched a ton of Hawks games, but ATL fans insist he makes minimal defensive effort.

However, Jay Wright coached kids are generally solid pros. You're gonna have to throw a pretty big number where the Hawks won't match IMO. Not sure how excited I would be about 4-120 for Bey.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,959

Post#1515 » by 76ciology » Fri May 24, 2024 4:39 am

If we aren’t going to rely on Ingram to be a primary or secondary scorer, then how big of a gap is Ingram compared to Jerami Grant?

Grant is cheaper in terms of trade value and salary, this allows us to have extra picks and around $7M more to spend. Grant is also the better shooter.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,959

Post#1516 » by 76ciology » Fri May 24, 2024 4:42 am

Bey wont work on our team because play heavy drop defense, we need those 6’8-6’9” wing who can challenge or make contest with shots of PnR ball handlers from behind.

We need guys like Andrew Wiggins or Oubre. This is also one of the biggest reasons why we are interested in George or OG.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sammorey
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#1517 » by sammorey » Fri May 24, 2024 7:51 am

76ciology wrote:If we aren’t going to rely on Ingram to be a primary or secondary scorer, then how big of a gap is Ingram compared to Jerami Grant?

Grant is cheaper in terms of trade value and salary, this allows us to have extra picks and around $7M more to spend. Grant is also the better shooter.

I am not sure Grant is much better than Oubre.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 562

Post#1518 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:46 am

Resign Payne ,oubre for sure.

I might take a gamble on Miles Bridges dude seems like he can fill the 3rd scoring rold nicely.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#1519 » by Arsenal » Fri May 24, 2024 11:53 am

You know, Malik Monk's age 25 stats in SAC this season were even better in some ways than Jalen Brunson's age 25 stats in Dallas. Then Brunson signed with NY, they put the ball in his hands and he blew up.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monkma01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brunsja01.html

Spending $20-25m in year one for Monk may be good value. He could become another primary offensive hub with increased usage. Then surround him, Maxey and Embiid with 3&D types...
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,925

Post#1520 » by Wilfried » Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Resign Payne ,oubre for sure.

I might take a gamble on Miles Bridges dude seems like he can fill the 3rd scoring rold nicely.

Payne and Oubre are indeed the ones we need to retain. Lowry at the vet min is ok too.

The rest of the FA's depend on the price.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers