ImageImageImage

76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 9,203

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 2 

Post#1521 » by the_process » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:08 am

What I was trying to say is no matter who Morey gets, someone will have some sort of complaint or point out a drawback.

PG13 is certainly not flawless anymore. But he still checks most of the right boxes and is worth the risk through the end of the Joel era. Assuming you can get him to leave LA.

The other thing I imagine is that Morey will be trying like hell to S&T multiple guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 24,550

Post#1522 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:29 am

Most 3PA in the Clutch in ‘23-‘24:

1. Curry: 59 3PA—47.5%
2. Lillard: 32—28.1%
3. Klay: 31—25.8%
4. Van Vleet: 26—30.8%
4. Paolo: 26—30.8%
4. Trae: 26—26.9%
7. C. White: 24—29.2%
7. KD: 24—29.2%
9. Edwards: 21—28.6%
9. Fox: 21—23.8%
9. Hield: 21—52.4%
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Jhawk03
Rookie
And1: 372

Post#1523 » by Jhawk03 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:42 am

I'll put my reputation on the line by suggesting this, but if Morey is looking to add a player of a Paul George tier... but Clippers end up keeping him... I would target either Kyrie Irving or Lamelo Ball period.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 12,233

Post#1524 » by eyeatoma » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am

Read on Twitter

Come back king!
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,559

Post#1525 » by Kobblehead » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:14 pm

76ciology wrote:We just need three good seasons from him. He’s a top-10 player based on multiple metrics like EPM, RAPM, and DARKO. He’s also a plug-and-play player, making it easy to find a fifth guy on the team.

Maxey Hield Paul George ?? Embiid

Morey can easily sleepwalk and find a good player to round out that starting 5 and give us a 8 to 10 man deep team with minimum contracts and 2nd rounders like how he did this season.

I don't think Morey can pass it up. I think Morey is going to max him out if possible for three years until 2026-2027 when Embiid's contract runs out.

Another thing to consider is, "What's the alternative choice?" Is there a better player than Paul George in free agency? Will signing two guys like Bruce Brown and Jalen Smith for $20 million each for three years be better?

In my eyes, Embiid and Maxey are all the star power we need. I just want to surround them with as much shooting and quality depth as possible.

Re-sign Hield and then shop around for more of the $25m and under pool of players (Gary Trent, Grayson Allen, etc.).
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 221

Post#1526 » by SixersSince82 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:15 pm

76ciology wrote:In the small sample size of the last 5 games, the biggest difference maker in offensive rating is Kelly Oubre. The team scores 115 ORTG on court with him compared to 105 ORTG off court.

One of the biggest difference makers on defense is Mo Bamba, with a 101 DRtg on court versus 112 DRtg off court. However, the offense is 8 points worse per 100 possessions with him on the court.

Our top two best 5-man units are T. Harris - K. Oubre Jr. - B. Hield - T. Maxey - P. Reed with a +12 NetRtg, and K. Oubre Jr. - B. Hield - M. Bamba - T. Maxey - K. Martin with a +17 NetRtg.

Maybe we should start Oubre and Tobias going forward, then sub in Tobias and Reed for K Mart and Bamba?

I think Oubre and Council should get all of the small forward minutes. They are the only two athletes on the team willing and able to relentlessly attack the cup in the half court which this team desperately needs. Then you rotate K-mart and Batum as your back up 4s situationally, whether you need a little bit of controlled chaos with Kmart or that veteran passing/shooting with Batum.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,075

Post#1527 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:25 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:We just need three good seasons from him. He’s a top-10 player based on multiple metrics like EPM, RAPM, and DARKO. He’s also a plug-and-play player, making it easy to find a fifth guy on the team.

Morey can easily sleepwalk and find a good player to round out that starting 5 and give us a 8 to 10 man deep team with minimum contracts and 2nd rounders like how he did this season.

I don't think Morey can pass it up. I think Morey is going to max him out if possible for three years until 2026-2027 when Embiid's contract runs out.

Another thing to consider is, "What's the alternative choice?" Is there a better player than Paul George in free agency? Will signing two guys like Bruce Brown and Jalen Smith for $20 million each for three years be better?

In my eyes, Embiid and Maxey are all the star power we need. I just want to surround them with as much shooting and quality depth as possible.

Re-sign Hield and then shop around for more of the $25m and under pool of players (Gary Trent, Grayson Allen, etc.).

You think Embiid and Maxey as your best players is enough to win a championship? there is just not good enough shot creation there.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,782

Post#1528 » by Negrodamus » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:43 pm

I don’t think you could hand pick a worse PF to be giving Tobias Harris’s contract than Tobias Harris to put next to Embiid. He doesn’t rebound. Doesn’t shoot a ton from three. Doesn’t create for others. He scores in the same way that Embiid does except much, much worse and without drawing fouls.

I don’t hate him for his contract, but he is the reason we haven’t built a team worth **** in the playoffs. Ownership and Brand are to blame.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1529 » by the_process » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:00 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I don’t think you could hand pick a worse PF to be giving Tobias Harris’s contract than Tobias Harris to put next to Embiid. He doesn’t rebound. Doesn’t shoot a ton from three. Doesn’t create for others. He scores in the same way that Embiid does except much, much worse and without drawing fouls.

I don’t hate him for his contract, but he is the reason we haven’t built a team worth **** in the playoffs. Ownership and Brand are to blame.

Morey is not absolved of blame.

The worst part is I still see multiple posters around here saying the Sixers should re-sign the tank commander.

Even if Tobias would take a sub-MLE deal the answer is no.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,782

Post#1530 » by Negrodamus » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:39 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I don’t think you could hand pick a worse PF to be giving Tobias Harris’s contract than Tobias Harris to put next to Embiid. He doesn’t rebound. Doesn’t shoot a ton from three. Doesn’t create for others. He scores in the same way that Embiid does except much, much worse and without drawing fouls.

The worst part is I still see multiple posters around here saying the Sixers should re-sign the tank commander.

I don't think there was much he could have done up until this year, possibly even this deadline. His contract was such dead weight that I imagine we'd have to give up assets to pull it off.
the_process
RealGM

Post#1531 » by the_process » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:37 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
the_process wrote:

I don't think there was much he could have done up until this year, possibly even this deadline. His contract was such dead weight that I imagine we'd have to give up assets to pull it off.

I refuse to believe he couldn't have worked a deal where he tied Tobias to Ben. He wouldn't have gotten Harden though, he would have had to give up on his white whale.

It will be straight next level crazy and hysterical if Morey offers a huge deal to Harden this summer. And yet I just can't quite put it past the guy, because he's nuts.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,596

Post#1532 » by mjkvol » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:08 pm

the_process wrote:

Very simply put, if resigning Tobias (for any amount) is part of the off season plan, there is no legitimate plan. Morey might say all the right things, but I have to believe that he's too smart to make a death knell move like that.
"No mound of parchment can be formed so as to stand against the sweeping torrent of boundless ambition on the one side, aided by the sapping current of corrupted morals on the other" - George Washington
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 673

Post#1533 » by brannigan73 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:48 pm

There is no specific off-season plan. Morey is counting on a bunch of dominoes to fall because of the cba changes. Its a rough plan at best. Sure we'll end up with some new players. To assume we will be able to compete with Boston or even the next three teams based on those moves I'm skeptical. I think Morey thinks he is going to pull of a multi team deal where someone like Harris is signed and traded to another team for assets that will be re-routed to another team for an all-star along with draft picks. We'll probably try to do something like that with Melton as well.
SixthStreet
Starter
And1: 1,704

Post#1534 » by SixthStreet » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:21 pm

I can understand the idea of wanting to resign Harris at a reduced salary and role because he is a good NBA player and likely will outpace production vs. salary compared to other 20-30m per year contracts that might be handed out this offseason but I believe if he's a Sixer on a new contract they will still give him "third" star treatment that his current contract demanded/afforded.

It's time for everyone to move on.

Because we will be a cap space team there's no benefit to a SnT? Or can that happen with a team with no cap space that has a contract and assets to trade?
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 148

Post#1535 » by fkd215 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:27 am

What do you all see Tobias' market value as being this off-season? Or more precisely, what do you think his best offer will be?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,244

Post#1536 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:03 am

PIstons will give him 100M+
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 722

Post#1537 » by Monix » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:37 am

I'm not a Harris-hater but they gotta move on - the optics of re-signing him would be tragic
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1538 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:48 am

fkd215 wrote:What do you all see Tobias' market value as being this off-season? Or more precisely, what do you think his best offer will be?

Based on the average for this season or last two to three seasons, the salary range would be $20-25 million, depending on the length of the contract, or equivalent to Kyle Kuzma or Cam Johnson's contracts.

In terms of February's performance, or last 27 days, it equates to the value of two pieces of Crumbl cookie.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1539 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:08 am

It's easier to move on from Tobias Harris if the team also shifts away from playing a five-out offense. Instead, we could consider incorporating a player similar to KJ Martin at the dunker spot, who can shoot some corner threes similar to Aaron Gordon's role.

Rather than focusing on complaints and criticisms, let's explore other options at power forward (PF).

Many criticize Tobias's defense and rebounding, but it's worth noting that Bojan Bogdanovic is a far worse defender and has only averaged three rebounds per game in the last two seasons. Imagining the defense with him and the undersized Paul Reed raises concerns.

Someone like Siakam, who shoots 50% from corner threes with almost the same volume as Devin Vassell, is appealing.
Spoiler:
Highest Corner 3P%;

1. Jrue: 63.3%—60
2. Norm: 57.3%—89
3. Curry: 57.1%—56
4. G. Allen: 55.3%—76
5. DiVincenzo: 51.8%—110
6. Beasley: 51.4%—144
7. Conley: 50.7%—69
8. Siakam: 49.1%—55
9. Nesmith: 48.6%—111
10. Vassell: 48.3%—60
However, the question remains whether he would accept a non-max contract and be content with a lesser role, likely as a third or fourth option alongside Embiid.

Another consideration is Kristaps Porzingis, but it's doubtful the Celtics would let him go for nothing, and there's uncertainty about whether Kristaps would be willing to play the same role he did with Luka as more of a finisher and spot-up shooter when Embiid is on the floor.

Perhaps players like Grant Williams or Caleb Martin could be viable options. Both PFs attempt 3-4 threes per game, comparable to Tobi, but are inferior in other areas, including defense and rebounding.

Upon examining all the options, it becomes apparent that they are mostly players with similar flaws or even worse, or superior players that we cannot acquire or who would be unwilling to accept a lesser role alongside Embiid. Do you have any suggestions?

Therefore, circling back to my initial statement in this post, if we intend to move on from Tobias, we will likely also need to reconsider the five-man out approach.

It's easier to move on from Tobias Harris if the team also shifts away from playing a five-out offense.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1540 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:08 am

Kobblehead wrote:

You can also surround Embiid, Maxey, Hield and Paul George with shooting and quality depth.

Even if Maxey and Embiid is enough, dont you want to be more than just enough, by adding Paul George instead of Gary Trent or Grayson Allen?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers