ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,110

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#1921 » by Mik317 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:21 pm

yo San Jose State Brandon Clarke's form is eye cancer...

who mans is that? His coaches who allowed that to happen should be fired lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,779

Post#1922 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:22 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:At this point, I'm just hoping some star who's a better fit will become available.

Damian Lillard: Stop wasting your career in Portland.
We're not getting Dame for Ben Simmons.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Name an available piece better than Ben Simmons.
He might be the best piece we have but he's not getting you a top 10 player in the league.

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,942

Post#1923 » by the_process » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:26 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:We're not getting Dame for Ben Simmons.

He might be the best piece we have but he's not getting you a top 10 player in the league.

Ben will still have good trade value in the summer, when new management can maximize his value.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#1924 » by DaSixers » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:30 pm

Dame is not realistic, in his recent espn doc, he even said he wants to be in portland forever, hes mad loyal, and hes 10x the player ben is, they arent trading him for ben, they may want to pair the 2 however

When you see all these other guys who have gone from total not 3 point shooters or even horrible shooting forms to solid or average from 3, you can see they love basketball, and they try to improve

ben does not do those things, he has literally had everything handed to him his whole life and told how amazing he is his whole life. He truly does not believe he needs to shoot the ball, like he actually believes he doesnt need it.

He lacks so many of those instinct like skills that are needed to score the ball, not even talking about shooting. Like the bodying up someone and then exploding up for a dunk, the hesitation in your dribbles and change of direction, the ability to score away from your body while your body is into the defender as a shield.

He does not have these things because he never worked or needed them.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,353

Post#1925 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:36 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:We're not getting Dame for Ben Simmons.

I meant a better piece around the league.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,779

Post#1926 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:47 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

Don't think Ben is available yet. Think he will be this summer. But this summer think Beal is more appealing. Right now Jrue holiday is also more appealing. Better scorer and equal defender to Ben. Above average passer.

ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#1927 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Jan 3, 2020 6:55 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:He might be the best piece we have but he's not getting you a top 10 player in the league.

Don't think Ben is available yet. Think he will be this summer. But this summer think Beal is more appealing. Right now Jrue holiday is also more appealing. Better scorer and equal defender to Ben. Above average passer.

I agree RE Ben's availability. This is all one big hypothetical, and summer would be the time.

If and when Dame ever demands a trade or Portland decides they need to start over, they are not going to rebuild around a 29-year-old Jrue Holiday.

Bradley Beal is an option, but why exactly would Washington swap Beal for Dame? They're closer to rebuilding than they are contending and Beal is 3 years younger.

The point is it's tough to name a better trading chip than Ben Simmons. He may not fit here, but he's a young star some team without a better star can opt to build around.

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#1928 » by eagereyez » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:03 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Brown isn't in a tough spot at all, Simmons is locked up for 5 years, he can demand a trade and they can laugh at him. Brown is just too familiar/friendly with Ben, he coached his father and will coach Ben for Australia's national team. Any other coach would have cut Simmons playing time after publicly demanding him to shoot and him not listening.
eagereyez wrote:
GuideDog wrote:
In that case Ben needs a coach that will push him hard and demand high standards instead on coddling him. If you wait for Ben to arrive on his own time, it will never happen. If the team doesn't think Ben can be pushed and challenged to raise his game, then they need to unload him while his value is high
Brown is in a tough spot. He publicly pleaded with Simmons to shoot more and Simmons refuses to do so. What else is Brown supposed to do? If he pisses Simmons off, Simmons can ask that Brown be fired or demand a trade. When it comes down to star talent vs coaches, the coach loses 9/10 times. This is all on Simmons for not listening to his coach and teammates. The only one who might be capable of putting him in his place is Embiid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using RealGM mobile app
Contract length doesn't matter in the modern NBA. Paul George signed a 4 year max contract with OKC then demanded a trade after 1 year. If a player wants out, then they have a lot of options to make that happen. And replacing Brown would be a lot easier than replacing Simmons. Brown isn't an idiot - he knows this, and it's the reason he doesn't treat Simmons like TJ McConnell.

The only way Simmons will get benched is if Brown has the support of the entire organization, meaning they're prepared to move on from Simmons if it backfires.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1929 » by VDT » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:04 pm

Lillard is an option by not my first option for a possible Simmons trade. Players of his height usually fall off quite fast after 30. Also i am not sure how valuable he would be if you reduce his usage which would happen on a contender.

My first choices would be Harden if the Rockets fail again this year which is the most likely scenario or Beal. However the atrocious fit between Simmons and Westbrook/Wall make these trades even harder.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#1930 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:15 pm

Harden would be awesome too. Morey would figure out how to rid the team of Westbrook.

Edit: Regarding Dame, I think 4 years of his prime would be more valuable than 10+ years of Ben and whatever additional assets we'd give up.

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#1931 » by XDevilBoiX » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:29 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

I agree RE Ben's availability. This is all one big hypothetical, and summer would be the time.

If and when Dame ever demands a trade or Portland decides they need to start over, they are not going to rebuild around a 29-year-old Jrue Holiday.

Bradley Beal is an option, but why exactly would Washington swap Beal for Dame? They're closer to rebuilding than they are contending and Beal is 3 years younger.

The point is it's tough to name a better trading chip than Ben Simmons. He may not fit here, but he's a young star some team without a better star can opt to build around.

Maybe Wall and Beal for some type of package around Ben, Harris or Horford. Washington can get out of Wall’s contract. Would make Sixers contenders for sure
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#1932 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:30 pm

Mik317 wrote:yo San Jose State Brandon Clarke's form is eye cancer...

who mans is that? His coaches who allowed that to happen should be fired lol

Maybe we should have hired Mark Few 2 years ago and we'd have l33t Simmons and Fultz right now.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,344

Post#1933 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jan 3, 2020 10:56 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:There aren't 30 players in the league better than him.

Of course there are.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#1934 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Jan 3, 2020 11:57 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:https://clutchpoints.com/pelicans-news-brandon-ingram-reacts-to-motherfers-getting-extensions/

I bet Simmons is one of the players he had in mind when making this statement. With Brown and Ingram taking veiled and not-so-veiled shots at Simmons, he needs to respond by playing like a star like they have.

100% agree! This is coming from a Simmons supporter too. Ingram is quickly headed towards stardom, Doncic is setting the world on fire, Michael Porter just had a coming out party! Ben SHOULD be right with these guys in terms of the next wave of superstar talent, but he's towards the back at this point. People are right about him...He needs a fire lit under him.

I don't know Ben, but I'm probably going to guess that he feels he's right with these guys as budding superstars. He's averaging a near triple double and has good defensive stats. What he doesn't realize is that near triple double stats doesn't equate to winning games.

No, and i'm definitely guilty of ignoring the near triple double stats. I just feel like those stats overrate him just a bit. If Evan Turner was playing as many minutes as Simmons is playing he'd be averaging a near triple double as well, but Turner never was able to play winning basketball. Turner just being an example. I just think Ben just needs to look to score more. Once he does that, he'll be the superstar player that everyone knows he can be.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,234

Post#1935 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Jan 4, 2020 12:13 am

eagereyez wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Brown isn't in a tough spot at all, Simmons is locked up for 5 years, he can demand a trade and they can laugh at him. Brown is just too familiar/friendly with Ben, he coached his father and will coach Ben for Australia's national team. Any other coach would have cut Simmons playing time after publicly demanding him to shoot and him not listening.
eagereyez wrote:Brown is in a tough spot. He publicly pleaded with Simmons to shoot more and Simmons refuses to do so. What else is Brown supposed to do? If he pisses Simmons off, Simmons can ask that Brown be fired or demand a trade. When it comes down to star talent vs coaches, the coach loses 9/10 times. This is all on Simmons for not listening to his coach and teammates. The only one who might be capable of putting him in his place is Embiid.

Contract length doesn't matter in the modern NBA. Paul George signed a 4 year max contract with OKC then demanded a trade after 1 year. If a player wants out, then they have a lot of options to make that happen. And replacing Brown would be a lot easier than replacing Simmons. Brown isn't an idiot - he knows this, and it's the reason he doesn't treat Simmons like TJ McConnell.

The only way Simmons will get benched is if Brown has the support of the entire organization, meaning they're prepared to move on from Simmons if it backfires.

The two situations aren't similar, the Thunder were ready to blow their team up and trading PG at that time got them max return, after which they traded their franchise cornerstone. What options does Simmons have to make it happen? Look at the reports of KAT being unhappy in Minnesota, almost everyone thinks he's not going anywhere unless the offer is mind blowing because he's under contract until 2024 and just like Simmons he doesn't have a player option which removes a lot of avenues they have to be traded.

I think you're overstating the power guys have, especially players like Simmons who's not the best guy on his team. A more respected coach would cut into his minutes if he didn't do what he was asked.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Ukphillyfan76
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#1936 » by Ukphillyfan76 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 12:35 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
100% agree! This is coming from a Simmons supporter too. Ingram is quickly headed towards stardom, Doncic is setting the world on fire, Michael Porter just had a coming out party! Ben SHOULD be right with these guys in terms of the next wave of superstar talent, but he's towards the back at this point. People are right about him...He needs a fire lit under him.

I don't know Ben, but I'm probably going to guess that he feels he's right with these guys as budding superstars. He's averaging a near triple double and has good defensive stats. What he doesn't realize is that near triple double stats doesn't equate to winning games.

No, and i'm definitely guilty of ignoring the near triple double stats. I just feel like those stats overrate him just a bit. If Evan Turner was playing as many minutes as Simmons is playing he'd be averaging a near triple double as well, but Turner never was able to play winning basketball. Turner just being an example. I just think Ben just needs to look to score more. Once he does that, he'll be the superstar player that everyone knows he can be.

in the past I have always been a strong advocate of Ben and I agree it’s easy to look past the stats and other intangibles He brings. unfortunately His lack of offensive development not only affects his status within the league it’s hugely detrimental to the progression of this squad. For all the positives Ben brings, he is not YET a legitimate starting PG on a championship-level squad.

Straight swap for Beal anytime please
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#1937 » by eagereyez » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:40 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
eagereyez wrote:

The two situations aren't similar, the Thunder were ready to blow their team up and trading PG at that time got them max return, after which they traded their franchise cornerstone. What options does Simmons have to make it happen? Look at the reports of KAT being unhappy in Minnesota, almost everyone thinks he's not going anywhere unless the offer is mind blowing because he's under contract until 2024 and just like Simmons he doesn't have a player option which removes a lot of avenues they have to be traded.

I think you're overstating the power guys have, especially players like Simmons who's not the best guy on his team. A more respected coach would cut into his minutes if he didn't do what he was asked.

If the Thunder wanted to go into a rebuild then they wouldn't have waited for PG to demand a trade. They knew it was over as soon as PG said he wanted out. Going into the season with a disgruntled superstar just derails everything. And KAT is unhappy in Minnesota, he hasn't demanded a trade. Not the same.

Being the best player on the team isn't what matters. What matters is if the player is harder to replace than the coach. If he is, then the coach will lose. And if it came down to Brown vs Simmons, I would bet on ownership choosing Simmons - especially if the team loses games due to Simmons being benched.

Like I said, there's a reason Brown doesn't treat Simmons like TJ McConnell. And it's not because he is just too good of friends with him.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 587

Post#1938 » by phifans » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:45 am

I knew it ! The PF version of Ben Simmons is the best. Now go get a capable starting point guard Elton !
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#1939 » by DaSixers » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:47 am

Horford for conley helps both teams
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,344

Post#1940 » by Kobblehead » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:17 pm

I think teammates, coaches, and frustrated fans will put up with his continued shooting defiance as long as he aggressively attacks and produces like he did last night on a more regular basis.

Really disappointed that Simmons is a guy that needs extrinsic motivation, though. That really lowers his potential for greatness, longterm, in my eyes.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers