ImageImageImage

Around The League: 2021-2022 Season 1.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,625

Re: Around The League: 2021-2022 Season 1.0 

Post#1941 » by Iverson Armband » Fri Jun 3, 2022 12:09 pm

Zumramania wrote:It'a Al Horford and Ime Udoka, but mostly Udoka...last season and even the most of this regular season the consensus here was that we are better than Boston, and look at them now - they are so much better than us at this point it's not even a question. But just give them Rivers and give us Udoka and I'd bet it's game on within half a season or so haha.

The Celtics are better than us because of Udoka? :lol:

Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.
always a jump shot away.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,882

Post#1942 » by the_process » Fri Jun 3, 2022 12:22 pm

Celtics lead the NBA Finals, Rangers lead the NHL Conference Finals...

It might be time to just step away.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,908

Post#1943 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 3, 2022 12:42 pm

blargh wrote:
76ciology wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:The Celtics did this the right way. They've grown their core together through years of trials meanwhile we shuffle pieces every season.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Celtics had a vision. Stretch 5 (sullinger? Baynes? Al?) and iso scoring (IT, Kyrie Tatum), positionless basketball (smart, jaylen, tatum, Al).

That sounds like some revisionist thinking. They’ve had midgets in their lineup up until recently, so it’s hard to say they’ve had a vision for positionless basketball. Every team in the league wants iso scoring and stretch 5’s, including us.

I do agree that some continuity would help us.

No. We’re just busy getting a franchise player in the draft.

We were not looking for iso scoring and stretch 5s in the draft. Noel, Okafor, Ben and MCW are not those types.

If you just blindly go after franchise players, you may end up getting one of those toxic franchise players like Westbrook or John Wall. Or have your hands tied building around a player who’s close to impossible to win with Ben Simmons or a franchise player that is very hard to build around in Embiid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#1944 » by stormi » Fri Jun 3, 2022 2:08 pm

Imagine having a team you could be proud to watch nightly.

Meanwhile we've got Doc and Tobias Harris on max money.

The 76ers will never win another championship in our lifetimes.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,683

Post#1945 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 2:40 pm

I had talked myself into GS winning but I think I’ve finally accepted that Boston is the best team and is going to win a chip. Tatum & Brown are just a great duo and their whole team is legit.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,048

Post#1946 » by Mik317 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 2:48 pm

their iso scorer was 3-17 last night. Their other one stepped up and they got help from unlikely sources.

Thats why they win

Thats why we will never win lol. Our second guy is either terrified to shoot, is washed, or just not that guy. Our main guy is a 7'2 big who has to play like Kobe to just keep the team afloat..and that's if he's not hurt or really sad that day. Our bench doesn't exist. Our coach rather be golfing. Our FO is more into cartoon monkeys.

I hate it here

but this was a looong time coming for the Celtics...they made most the right choices and didn't double down on the bad ones.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,586

Post#1947 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Jun 3, 2022 3:14 pm

Mik317 wrote:their iso scorer was 3-17 last night. Their other one stepped up and they got help from unlikely sources.

Thats why they win

Thats why we will never win lol. Our second guy is either terrified to shoot, is washed, or just not that guy. Our main guy is a 7'2 big who has to play like Kobe to just keep the team afloat..and that's if he's not hurt or really sad that day. Our bench doesn't exist. Our coach rather be golfing. Our FO is more into cartoon monkeys.

I hate it here

but this was a looong time coming for the Celtics...they made most the right choices and didn't double down on the bad ones.

Cartoon monkeys made me lol.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,741

Post#1948 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 3, 2022 4:13 pm

I’ll tell ya, there’s no worse Philly fan attitude than the whoa is us Philly fan attitude. It’s really unbecoming. Overrate your own problems and overrate the successes of your rivals because you’re feeling bad for yourselves.

Nothing encapsulates that more than this sad Ime Udoka lamenting. The dude has had one half of one good season and it’s like “omg if we still had Udoka *endless sobbing*”

No one has any idea how good of a coach this dude is yet, there was a time where people thought Lionel Hollins was the next great coach. Or Brad Stevens. He has a long ways to go before he comes close to surpassing Doc Rivers. Rivers has proven success over decades. That’s earned, not given after one half of one season.

The Sixers could very easily win a title next season if their core guys stay healthy, they just haven’t been able to. And add some depth. That falls on Morey more than anyone, but the Sixers are in a great spot. Don’t let personal jealous bring out overreactions to what is not a special team. Hell, neither team last night is special honestly, but particularly the Celtics. If that’s the mountain the Sixers have to climb to reach the finals, Sixers fans should be rejoicing, not pouting.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,048

Post#1949 » by Mik317 » Fri Jun 3, 2022 4:26 pm

FireMorey wrote:I’ll tell ya, there’s no worse Philly fan attitude than the whoa is us Philly fan attitude. It’s really unbecoming. Overrate your own problems and overrate the successes of your rivals because you’re feeling bad for yourselves.

Nothing encapsulates that more than this sad Ime Udoka lamenting. The dude has had one half of one good season and it’s like “omg if we still had Udoka *endless sobbing*”

No one has any idea how good of a coach this dude is yet, there was a time where people thought Lionel Hollins was the next great coach. Or Brad Stevens. He has a long ways to go before he comes close to surpassing Doc Rivers. Rivers has proven success over decades. That’s earned, not given after one half of one season.

The Sixers could very easily win a title next season if their core guys stay healthy, they just haven’t been able to. And add some depth. That falls on Morey more than anyone, but the Sixers are in a great spot. Don’t let personal jealous bring out overreactions to what is not a special team. Hell, neither team last night is special honestly, but particularly the Celtics. If that’s the mountain the Sixers have to climb to reach the finals, Sixers fans should be rejoicing, not pouting.

I don't disagree its just that it feels like whenever the is a decision to be made this franchise chooses the wrong one lol.

IMO for the most part sans like signing Horford (which since he is suddenly prime tim duncan now because lol is funny) and letting Jimmy walk and maybe trading for Tobias at all...i think many of our "bad" moves were good moves at the time. People get on us for Fultz but everybody cept Negrodamus and Lloyd thought that was the right move...and the second option at the time was Josh Jackson. Its fun to **** on Ben now but he was the consensus number 1 (again except for Negrodamus....wait..there is a pattern forming here lol). Even something like the Zhaire Smith trade, no one thought the dude would almost die and the real prize was the 21 Heat pick for the first HS draft. A lot of moves at the time seemed like good moves....very few of them have been.

Its really hard to not be a sad boi over the future after that. Our best move of taking Biid despite everything even has some downsides. I have been following this team "full time" since around 02-03....its really hard to not be a woe is me clown lol.

BUT I think the most frustrating part now is the fact that we are so close to getting it right...but it feels like this is it and recent moves doesn't make it feel like they will finally get it right THIS time. I am glad that we don't have the will they won't they of Ben hanging over the roster, and while I hate him...bringing Doc back means no new system to build either. There are no excuses this time out. No distractions via burner gates. Its put up or shut up time..so there is at least that for once.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
stormi
General Manager

Post#1950 » by stormi » Fri Jun 3, 2022 4:33 pm

The Sixers as it currently stands are in need of a massive reconstructive makeover while being in cap and asset hell. We should be comfortable enough to admit the Boston Celtics have a younger and deeper roster that has achieved more than us in recent and historical memory and still have more disposable assets to play around with.

The Sixers are far from being in a "great spot" with no bench, no competent wings with modern skillsets, Tobias Harris, Matisse Thybulle, Shake Milton, Furkan Korkmaz and Doc Rivers.

Morey needs to pray to his lucky stars and go full plastic surgeon because this roster just isn't close to being good enough on either side of the basketball.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#1951 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 3, 2022 4:39 pm

That just isn't true though. For one, the Sixers have an elite franchise player, which is the hardest part taken care of. They have a very good co-star in Harden, a really good young up and coming player in Maxey. The Sixers are close to being good enough. To suggest otherwise is crazy. They took the #1 seed in the East to 6 games with your best player, a player the Sixers rely on more than any team relies on to win, playing at what... 30%, maybe 40%? He couldn't use his shooting hand. He couldn't do the things needed to be effective. And it still went 6 games.

In what reality is that not close? Embiid with a usable shooting hand and no broken face could've easily beaten the Heat and probably would have, and even if they don't beat the Celtics after, it's a long series. That's close.

All of this is just recency bias.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1952 » by stormi » Fri Jun 3, 2022 4:48 pm

The fact of the matter is, porous defensive teams do not win championships. Essentially every team to hoist the Larry O since 2003 has been top 10 in defensive rating, more specifically - 12 of those were top five defenses.

Spoiler:
2021 Bucks: 6th OFF / 10th DEF

2020 Lakers: 11th OFF / 3rd DEF

2019 Raptors: 5th OFF / 5th DEF

2018 Warriors: 3rd OFF / 11th DEF

2017 Warriors: 1st OFF / 2nd DEF

2016 Cavaliers: 3rd OFF / 10th DEF

2015 Warriors: 2nd OFF / 1st DEF

2014 Spurs: 7th OFF / 3rd DEF

2013 Heat: 2nd OFF / 9th DEF

2012 Heat: 8th OFF / 4th DEF

2011 Mavericks: 8th OFF / 8th DEF

2010 Lakers: 11th OFF / 4th DEF

2009 Lakers: 3rd OFF / 6th DEF

2008 Celtics: 10th OFF / 1st DEF

2007 Spurs: 5th OFF / 2nd DEF

2006 Heat: 7th OFF / 9th DEF

2005 Spurs: 8th OFF / 1st DEF

2004 Pistons: 18th OFF / 2nd DEF

2003 Spurs: 7th OFF / 3rd DEF

2002 Lakers: 2nd OFF / 7th DEF

2001 Lakers: 2nd OFF / 21st DEF

2000 Lakers: 5th OFF / 1st DEF

1999 Spurs: 11th OFF / 1st DEF

1998 Bulls: 9th OFF / 3rd DEF

1997 Bulls: 1st OFF / 4th DEF

1996 Bulls: 1st OFF / 1st DEF

The Boston Celtics this season? #2. They have a tremendous defensive minded head-coach who revolutionized their schemes with Timelord and Horford, while having a defensive pest in Marcus Smart and young lengthy athletic wings in Tatum and Brown. And all of those guys can make plays offensively and rebound as a collective. Off the bench it's right back to it with Grant Williams and Derrick White who are tremendous ancillary pieces that contribute more to their 2 way culture.

They also boasted a top 10 offense.

The Sixers were not a top 10 offense or defense.

And I have my doubts that you can create a top 10 defense around Maxey/Harden in the backcourt and Tobias Harris.

When Embiid shoots 3/17 the way Tatum did last night chances are it's a disgusting embarrassing blow out.

So how can we overcome the lack of depth and defending? Embiid and Harden have to literally become Shaq and Kobe regened. I believe in their unbelievable amounts of talent, and Maxey too. It's just every other piece on this roster can use upgrading and with the asset recession we're toiling in and ticking timebomb of Embiid's body, it's hard to feel completely confident that Morey will have the time necessary to build a competent group of guys that can smother Kevin Durant into irrelevance or outlast Jimmy Butler or Giannis Antetokounmpo in a do or die game 7.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#1953 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 3, 2022 4:50 pm

The Sixers offense post Harden's starting 5 was like the best and most productive offense in the NBA.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#1954 » by Embiid P » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:03 pm

stormi wrote:The fact of the matter is, porous defensive teams do not win championships. Essentially every team to hoist the Larry O since 2003 has been top 10 in defensive rating, more specifically - 12 of those were top five defenses.

Spoiler:
2021 Bucks: 6th OFF / 10th DEF

2020 Lakers: 11th OFF / 3rd DEF

2019 Raptors: 5th OFF / 5th DEF

2018 Warriors: 3rd OFF / 11th DEF

2017 Warriors: 1st OFF / 2nd DEF

2016 Cavaliers: 3rd OFF / 10th DEF

2015 Warriors: 2nd OFF / 1st DEF

2014 Spurs: 7th OFF / 3rd DEF

2013 Heat: 2nd OFF / 9th DEF

2012 Heat: 8th OFF / 4th DEF

2011 Mavericks: 8th OFF / 8th DEF

2010 Lakers: 11th OFF / 4th DEF

2009 Lakers: 3rd OFF / 6th DEF

2008 Celtics: 10th OFF / 1st DEF

2007 Spurs: 5th OFF / 2nd DEF

2006 Heat: 7th OFF / 9th DEF

2005 Spurs: 8th OFF / 1st DEF

2004 Pistons: 18th OFF / 2nd DEF

2003 Spurs: 7th OFF / 3rd DEF

2002 Lakers: 2nd OFF / 7th DEF

2001 Lakers: 2nd OFF / 21st DEF

2000 Lakers: 5th OFF / 1st DEF

1999 Spurs: 11th OFF / 1st DEF

1998 Bulls: 9th OFF / 3rd DEF

1997 Bulls: 1st OFF / 4th DEF

1996 Bulls: 1st OFF / 1st DEF

The Boston Celtics this season? #2. They have a tremendous defensive minded head-coach who revolutionized their schemes with Timelord and Horford, while having a defensive pest in Marcus Smart and young lengthy athletic wings in Tatum and Brown. And all of those guys can make plays offensively and rebound as a collective. Off the bench it's right back to it with Grant Williams and Derrick White who are tremendous ancillary pieces that contribute more to their 2 way culture.

They also boasted a top 10 offense.

The Sixers were not a top 10 offense or defense.

And I have my doubts that you can create a top 10 defense around Maxey/Harden in the backcourt and Tobias Harris.

When Embiid shoots 3/17 the way Tatum did last night chances are it's a disgusting embarrassing blow out.

So how can we overcome the lack of depth and defending? Embiid and Harden have to literally become Shaq and Kobe regened. I believe in their unbelievable amounts of talent, and Maxey too. It's just every other piece on this roster can use upgrading and with the asset recession we're toiling in and ticking timebomb of Embiid's body, it's hard to feel completely confident that Morey will have the time necessary to build a competent group of guys that can smother Kevin Durant into irrelevance or outlast Jimmy Butler or Giannis Antetokounmpo in a do or die game 7.

So much for those who say that defense doesn't matter in today's NBA I guess.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1955 » by stormi » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:09 pm

Since January 1st the Bostons Celtics have had the 2nd best ORTG (117.9) and the clear cut best DRTG (105.2) in the NBA. The Sixers weren't anywhere near this.

If we want to Cheems dog it Image

and point to Harden's first game as a Sixer onwards as our benchmark:

The Celtics still had the best offense in the league, The 76ers were 8th. The Celtics had the 4th best defense, the 76ers were 12th.

Truthfully speaking, the Boston Celtics are very good and have a coach maximizing the strengths of a deep roster. Instead of fighting reality we need to figure out how to build a competent roster around Joel Embiid who is the only person keeping this team even semi-relevant.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#1956 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:23 pm

I said the starting 5. The Sixers bench was horrendous so of course overall their numbers aren’t going to be as high. That’s why adding a strong bench is of the utmost priority.

And I’m not sure how sustainable the Celtics having an offense like that is. They aren’t a very good shooting team, and there were stretches I’ve seen where their offense is utterly horrendous. Their defense I do think is legitimate, but I’m not a believer in them offensively. Offensively I’ll take the Sixers starting 5 over theirs 10 times out of 10.

They are obviously deeper, which is why Morey needs to get to work.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1957 » by stormi » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:32 pm

Morey needs to "add a strong bench" while creating a team defense and that's while hopefully not sacrificing an already less potent offense than either of the two teams in the Finals right now.

And to top it off while attempting this in a market that's unfavorable to FA's and with minimal assets.

It's just fan speak delusion to pretend that this team is close as currently constructed, but I can appreciate genuine optimism.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#1958 » by FireMorey » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:38 pm

They just showed you why they were close, you just seem to be ignoring it. On what planet is taking the #1 seed to 6 games with the most important player to any one team in the NBA not close to himself not close?

You can throw out all the metrics and generalizations you want, the proof was out there on the court. They showed it. And they were fine defensively in the playoffs.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1959 » by stormi » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:43 pm

Let's drop some more confetti because we almost got past Max Strus and Kyle Lowry.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,737

Post#1960 » by 76thBearCub » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:47 pm

I do agree with FM that we are closer that it feels like right now. 2 decent playable guys would go a looong way for us.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers