ImageImageImage

Daryl Morey's unimpressive first year with the Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,586

Re: Daryl Morey's unimpressive first year with the Sixers 

Post#21 » by Black Mage » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:40 am

PhilaOwnsBoston wrote:I think the Sixers and their fans should be happy they hired Daryl Morey to be president of basketball operations and I think he's a very good and accomplished executive. However, just because you think someone is good at their job, doesn't mean they shouldn't be criticized when they make mistakes.

If one's to analyze his work in his first year as prez of basketball ops, it was very underwhelming and unimpressive, and I think you can make a very strong case it was flat out bad, considering the expectations hiring a guy like that is accompanied with.

I think in the offseason he did a solid job. Not great, I don't throw that word around lightly and typically only use it when executives make trades to acquire superstar franchise-changing players, or get rid of older players for a massive haul of assets. But he did a solid job. He found a taker for Horford. Granted, OKC had an "open for business" sign in their window, so it's not like it took crazy maneuvering to pull that off, but he did, so give him credit. Swapping Richardson for Curry was a solid move too. Not franchise-changing, but solid. Signing Dwight Howard was a meh move at best.

However, once the season began, that is where the positives ended. Morey could GM for another 20 years and he would never make another mistake as terrible as he did by backing out of the James Harden sweepstakes and allowing him to go to a division rival. Honestly, it was one of the worst decisions in Philly sports history, and this is something I've taken time to think about, no hyperbole usage whatsoever here. Think about it. When, in your lifetimes, has a top 5 player ever had the Sixers as their #1 preferred destination? It's never happened in my lifetime. James Harden, one of the greatest scorers in NBA history, and a perfect compliment to Joel Embiid who was having an MVP season, wanted to become a Sixer. And Daryl Morey punked out because he didn't want to match the Nets' draft pick compensation.

Now, there are some fans who tell themselves that "The Nets were never trading him to the Sixers!" to make themselves feel better about missing out on Harden. That claim is baseless and unsubstantiated. There were two sources, neither of them Shams or Woj, who said Fertitta didn't want to trade him to the Sixers. Not that he refused to. Significant difference. Those were Kyle Neubeck, and some random dude Jason Dumas out in California. There are plenty of teams who don't want to trade with other teams, but they do anyway. I'm sure the Cowboys didn't want to trade with the Eagles and give them DeVonta Smith on draft night, but they did because the price justified the trade. Fertitta didn't get rich by being dumb. He's not going to hurt his own franchise out of spite. And don't forget, Ben Simmons was informed the day of the trade that he should expect to be traded. So for the "Houston was never trading him to Philly" to add up, that would mean that through the entire negotiating process, the Rockets told Morey that they're willing to trade him to Philly, otherwise he wouldn't have even wasted his time. So you're telling me they tell him through the entire process they'll trade him to Philly and then at the last minute laugh at him and tell him "Haha! We're not trading him to Philly even though you have the best offer! Later, loser!" and hang up the phone? Please. No one operates like that. Harden isn't a Sixer because the Sixers didn't give the best offer. The Nets offered a massive haul of draft picks, which is very attractive. If the Sixers matched the draft compensation with Simmons, Harden would've been a Sixer.

This is an offensive league now. You win in the NBA with guards and wings who can score and create their own shot. The Sixers had a chance to get one of the best EVER, and blew it. And who knows how long the league will think so highly of Ben Simmons. Eventually, teams and GMs are going to lose confidence they can extract more out of him offensively. You can't just hold on to them being able to trade him for a superstar guard whenever they want, it's not realistic. And the Harden sweepstakes was only between two teams: the Sixers and Nets. If they pursue a guy like Lillard or Beal a lot more teams are going to be involved.

Daryl Morey is still a good executive. Of course he is. But when you hire big fish, you hire them to go big fish hunting. You don't hire a guy like Daryl Morey to play swap the role player. You win in the NBA with superstars and he was brought here to find a way to land them. And in his first opportunity, he failed. Only adding George Hill in-season when you're the #1 seed simply isn't good enough.

It's a shame, because I really don't see their road to a championship in the next couple seasons. If the Nets ever get healthy, the Sixers have no chance against them, now that you allowed them to get Harden. They likely won't be the favorites to acquire any superstar player on the trade block with Ben Simmons and picks being the best they can offer. They have no cap room, and their draft picks are going to be at the bottom of the first round.

I think Sixers fans should feel a lot better about being in Morey's hands than Colangelo's or Brand's, but in his first year I think he was very unimpressive, especially given his pedigree.

Garbage take since there are just as many reports that he thought he had the trade done and didn't get a chance to match. Reports even that agents were informed. You're whole take is off of an unknown situation.

Just a garbage take.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,881

Post#22 » by the_process » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:42 am

DCasey91 wrote:He got rid of Horford’s contract and the Richardson/Curry deal was one of the best this year lol highway robbery.

Wtf are you talking about? Morey has walked into a big turd Frankenstein Factory and now there’s only three dungheaps (Doc, Harris & Ben) left.

I’m high on the Harris for Wall + Pick swap. People say it’s a crap move nah it’s genius. Watch for a Morey special :)

He didn’t back out of the Harden deal, that’s just a giant lie and false. The Rockets owner is an idiot and tried to leverage the market and ended up with a worse return. Heck Cavs made out like bandits lol

Masai tried to leverage the market with Lowry and three buyers said no. Morey ain’t no funny GM he knows whatsup.

Harris and Ben is gone.

If you can’t see that well I don’t know what to tell you.

If you can swap picks with Houston for trading Harris (hell, or even Simmons) for Wall… that’s the kind of creative thinking to fix this.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,903

Post#23 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:47 am

It is and ive been saying that.

But the biggest blunder was not being able to pull off that Harden deal, but looking at the overall picture it’s Fertita’s pettiness that lead us not being able to land Harden.

I wished we let EB made the Harden deal then sign Morey, in that order. But nobody foresee this to happen.

Overall, im Ok with the roster construction. I do think we are in the right direction. We’re the best offensive team and shot 50 something %.

But there has to be changes to be made. Hopefully talent upgrade
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,903

Post#24 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:49 am

We’d be fine if we just traded Jrich for Seth and still have our first round pick by not doing the Al trade.

Hell.. we could have traded Al for Kemba. Then have Kemba, Ben, Tobi and Biid.

If we dont want Kemba then trade Kemba to other team.

I just dont see how beneficial that cap flexibility is.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#25 » by DCasey91 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:53 am

Get Wall and a future pick swap with Harris, Morey is genius!

It’s off the wall hehe but actually look at the contracts together. 30mil even if Wall pickups his player option or 60+ mil saved and the option to flip again.

2 for 1 with the potential for 3-1? Sign me the heck up. All aboard

Don’t worry with Morey we are in good hands. My god if we had Brand we’d be dead lol.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 862

Post#26 » by zaz102 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:54 am

I agree with the assessment that he was good in the offseason deals based on expectations before starting the season. And where they ended up.

There was definitely glaring holes during the season that weren't fixed, but they weren't slam dunks. Harden sucked and was injured during the playoffs. Lowry was expensive for a rental and would have cost other rotation players. I'm not sure either of those would have helped the Sixers greatly this year.

I would give him a B just for getting the Sixers back on track from where they ended last year. The frustrating thing is the same thing has plagued them for 4 years and they haven't found a solution yet. And while I would dock points for Morey for that, I think part of his job was undoing the dumb mistakes they made last season just to pretty much end up where they were before.

Next season, it's clear as day what the top priority is. Same as it has been. Get a playmaking guard. Also, they now have to deal with Simmons tanked value. So I'm not sure trading him would even help on that front right now.

A significant move or two is needed to get to that next step and will be a challenge for sure.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,046

Post#27 » by Mik317 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:59 am

He did fine. Most of his moves were fine. Seth and Danny were upgrades over Josh and Al fit and culture wise. Dwight was unplayable in the playoffs but was...fine in the regular season. The Hill trade was a whiff....but going all in on Lowry was not worth Maxey. You can argue he was behind the 8 ball thanks to previous Gms as well.

BUT

this offseason he has to be better than just fine. Gotta be great imo. Honeymoon period is over.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 654

Post#28 » by brannigan73 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:00 am

We have no clue what happened with Harden. I personally believe Morey was told to give Simmons another year. Its hard to part ways with a guy you took with the number one pick in the draft who is still young and shows glimpses at superstardom at times. Besides that Morey did fine. Bringing in Green and Curry was excellent. At the trade deadline there were very few worthwhile targets and the Raptors were being ridiculously unreasonable. He'll rectify the Simmons situation this off-season and turn the Danny Green and George Hill Cap space into someone like Kyle Lowry. I trust Daryl Morey.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#29 » by DCasey91 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:01 am

John Wall
Jalen Green
Josh Hart
Joe Ingles
Joel Embiid

Morey there’s your blueprint :) :). My
God if we get this exact team the memes would be endless lol
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,586

Post#30 » by SixthStreet » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:07 am

You also have to give him credit for panic moves you don't make. Without Maxey this teams forward outlook dims considerably. We don't know yet what Maxey will become but at least he is an internal option for the archetype you desperately need that you don't have to spend assets on to acquire.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,586

Post#31 » by Black Mage » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:12 am

DCasey91 wrote:John Wall
Jalen Green
Josh Hart
Joe Ingles
Joel Embiid

So your idea is to get rid of one guy who won't shoot for another guy who cant shoot?
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#32 » by DCasey91 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:17 am

Black Mage wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:John Wall
Jalen Green
Josh Hart
Joe Ingles
Joel Embiid

So your idea is to get rid of one guy who won't shoot for another guy who cant shoot?

Exactly won’t die wondering with Wall at the helm. I reckon they’ll get on like a house on fire.

Wall and Green backcourt is box office stuff.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,586

Post#33 » by SixthStreet » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:17 am

You guys should look at Morey's trade history if you think he can't move Simmons or Harris. He's made magic multiple times out of seemingly untradeable deals. He's going to move both and for more than what people think as of today. In Simmons case it won't be near the haul it would have last offseason or before but it won't be a salary dump. In Harris' case, just watch. He'll get flipped for something good even if no one wants to believe today.
okboomer
Pro Prospect
And1: 754

Post#34 » by okboomer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:26 am

SixthStreet wrote:You guys should look at Morey's trade history if you think he can't move Simmons or Harris. He's made magic multiple times out of seemingly untradeable deals. He's going to move both and for more than what people think as of today. In Simmons case it won't be near the haul it would have last offseason or before but it won't be a salary dump. In Harris' case, just watch. He'll get flipped for something good even if no one wants to believe today.

I tend to agree with you. He knows what he is doing.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#35 » by VDT » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:44 am

I dont think Morey was bad, but save for trading Simmons for Harden, which he tried, there was not a clear path to a title for the team. Simmons is good but limited, Harris played good this year but ultimately he is not a player you can depend on for playoff scoring and Embiid got again injured this year and he is not a guy to run the offense anyway, he is an iso guy that still has a tendency to turn the ball over. The team got an easy path to the ECF on a year when most contenders had injured stars and still couldnt do. I highly doubt getting CJ McCollum would change that. The team needs an mvp level perimeter player, especially since Embiid is unreliable, but i am not holding by breath Morey can do it. Part of the reason i wanted to trade Simmons for Harden was that i feared what's happening now. The team has to make moves but they have no leverage and they are likely going to lose value. Good luck to Morey but i wouldnt want to be in his position. I just hope he doesnt make something dumb like trading all our future picks for something that doesnt move the needle.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#36 » by Wilfried » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 am

zimpy27 wrote:Green going down was a big loss for the series IMO. He's very underrated player in many aspects but some of the main ones are his team defense, offense movement and leadership.

I think Rivers was probably a bad coaching choice. His adjustments are too stiff for the modern NBA.

Rivers was hired before Morey, he had nothing to do with him being our coach atm

Morey did very good things, and I'm pretty sure
1) Everyone knows he can't fix it all in 1 off season
2) We are bound for some moves this offseason
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#37 » by Hipster Doofus » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:37 pm

In Hinkie we trusted, and now in Morey we trust. The man has proved that he knows what to do and I support him fully. Can't wait for the offseason.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,376

Post#38 » by Arsenal » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:43 pm

SixthStreet wrote:You guys should look at Morey's trade history if you think he can't move Simmons or Harris. He's made magic multiple times out of seemingly untradeable deals. He's going to move both and for more than what people think as of today. In Simmons case it won't be near the haul it would have last offseason or before but it won't be a salary dump. In Harris' case, just watch. He'll get flipped for something good even if no one wants to believe today.

Tobias Harris is the guy to watch. He just put up a career season, including in the playoffs if you just look at his numbers.

Morey could fool someone into thinking he's the answer. And get a decent return.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Harris go before Simmons.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,376

Post#39 » by Arsenal » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:44 pm

This. Amidst all the problems... we're finally in good hands again with Daryl Morey.

Excited to see how he attacks this offseason.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,819

Post#40 » by kriss73 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 pm

Personally I expected a transition year, because I never thought that the combo Green/Seth would have carried us to win the chip.
This was the first year of Morey in Philly so it made sense not put all the eggs in the basket for Harden or (to a lesser degree) for Lowry.

I thought they should have tried the combo Joel/Ben once more before splitting them.

They played really good during the RS and honestly they weren't bad at all untill the last few minutes of game 4.

Now it's time to split them but the problem is that the value of Simmons is really low.
His perceved value is even lower than reality : that's what I didn't expect and that hurt a lot.

Time is expiring for Joel too: he is on a 2-years contract and he never passed the second round of a playoff series...so you know how this will end.

I think Morey has to do to a splash this off season...the last one with their own future picks.

Do or die.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."

Return to Philadelphia 76ers