ImageImageImage

exclusive Ed Stefanski interview

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#21 » by The Sixer Fixer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 pm

Oh - one other comment...out of respect for Ed, I think someone should change the thread title to at least spell the guys name right.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#22 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Can we set Ed up with a secret user name and have him come on the board to "leak" some confidential news about who/what is being targeted?

The GM of the Hawks (I believe) used to actually post on these boards.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 9,038

Post#23 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:23 pm

I remember that. I think it was during the power struggle in the front office.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#24 » by The Guilty Party » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:51 pm

9th Wonder wrote:Man, that's pretty sweet. I love that fact that Stefanski isn't afraid to talk about his team, like BK was. I guess maybe King would be afraid that a reporter (or fan) would trash his ideas.

Right now it's easy for Ed to come out and talk to everyone and anyone about this team because he's in his honeymoon period where all of the current problems are blamed on the other guy. If Ed continues to interact with the fanbase like this in two years when it's "his" team and "his" problems... well, I will be pleasantly surprised. I hope he stays this way.

The Sixer Fixer wrote:Can we set Ed up with a secret user name and have him come on the board to "leak" some confidential news about who/what is being targeted?

If you remember, we did this with BK and gave him the name "sixersfan1976". :-)
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 2,021

Post#25 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:40 am

I know he wouldn't come out and say he's shopping Miller if that were in fact the case, but he does seem pretty adamant about keeping him.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#26 » by bigdavid » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:50 am

The logic put fprward by Ed on the korver trade makes no sense. We trade perhaps one of the better three point shooters for 4 Million cash when giriceks contract expires. Meanwhile we have lost 5 straight games, have no 3 point shooter and had a major fan drop in attendance.

Korver was more than just a 3 point shooter, he had developed a nice jump shot has tremendous BB I.Q. and made the sixers a better team. How are we going to get a star power forward for 10 million? Enen if we get one who is going to be our 3 point shooter? which has become an essential part of todays game.

Meanwhile with Korver coming off the bench as 6th man for the Jazz they have won 5 of the their last 6 games and the fans love him.

Go figure. I think Ed just made an impulsive move, just to make a move and it was a mistake. Just my opinion.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by dbodner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:56 am

We trade perhaps one of the better three point shooters for 4 Million cash when giriceks contract expire

We, it's really 4.5 million, since that's what Korver will be making next year.

Meanwhile we have lost 5 straight games, have no 3 point shooter and had a major fan drop in attendance.

We've had two home games since the trade, totaling 27k in attendance. That's higher than our average attendance. What are you quantifying that statement about the major drop in fan attendance with?

This isn't about winning now. Ed's willing to take 1 step back to take two steps forward. A shooter is going to take less assets to replace than a legit starter. If Ed can convert the cap space (of which I agree he has to get more of) into a starter, then you can replace Korver down the line.
ducehere22
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#28 » by ducehere22 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:01 am

hey dbodner,

sounds like you are more on board with the korver trade at this point...is that because of the details of the pick? i am wondering and not judging.

wow, you talked to Ed. I am impressed!
we can dunk!
bigdavid
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by bigdavid » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:11 am

dbodner wrote:
We trade perhaps one of the better three point shooters for 4 Million cash when giriceks contract expire

We, it's really 4.5 million, since that's what Korver will be making next year.

Meanwhile we have lost 5 straight games, have no 3 point shooter and had a major fan drop in attendance.

We've had two home games since the trade, totaling 27k in attendance. That's higher than our average attendance. What are you quantifying that statement about the major drop in fan attendance with?

This isn't about winning now. Ed's willing to take 1 step back to take two steps forward. A shooter is going to take less assets to replace than a legit starter. If Ed can convert the cap space (of which I agree he has to get more of) into a starter, then you can replace Korver down the line.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by dbodner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:14 am

Meh. I was never completely against trading Korver, I was just hoping we could get someone to take Green or Evans with him. Right now I don't think we have enough cap space, so I don't think we can be done for the year. The pick has little value to me. We saw how valuable post-20 picks were last year in our (unsuccessful) attempts to move up.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by bigdavid » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:16 am

The two home games were against teams that draw well. When is 13+ thousand in a 20 thousand fan stadium considered good?
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by dbodner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:17 am

bigdavid wrote:The two home games were against teams that draw well. When is 13+ thousand in a 20 thousand fan stadium considered good?

I never said it was good, I was disputing your statement that it had fallen drastically since the Korver trade.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by bigdavid » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 am

Every year we say it's not about winning now. Tell that to Boston. I believe it is about winning now. How many times do we hear wait till next year or we owe you one now its" "It will take three years" as a lifelong sixer fan and thats a lot of years I would like to win now.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by dbodner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:53 am

er...

this is year one of the rebuilding. All the years before this year we're the "let's try to patch this up to win now". You're kinda making our argument.

BTW, I split season tickets. So I've shelled out money to watch this team.
darius08
Bench Warmer
And1: 10

Post#35 » by darius08 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:16 am

This is not even a year of rebuilding. If we make no further trades, this is a little better than move the deck chairs season. Moving your sixth man hardly counts as a massive rebuild year. If we move Miller/Iguodala then we're talking rebuild.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by dbodner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:25 am

darius08 wrote:This is not even a year of rebuilding. If we make no further trades, this is a little better than move the deck chairs season. Moving your sixth man hardly counts as a massive rebuild year. If we move Miller/Iguodala then we're talking rebuild.

We got rid of Webber/Iverson midway through last season. That's rebuilding. This is the first full season of the rebuilding plan.

At this point we're arguing semantics. This team is clearly rebuilding, and haven't been doing so for long. Getting room for a max contract is more than shuffling the chairs IMO. If anyone was expecting this team to trade Iverson and cut Webber midway through last season then to contend this season, you were expecting way too much.
darius08
Bench Warmer
And1: 10

Post#37 » by darius08 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:47 am

Agree the iverson move was a clear rebuild. The acquisition of Miller and then (head scratcher) Reggie Evans basically undid that rebuild.

Let's put aside the word rebuild. What I feel is I have yet to see a year where we say "okay, this year we may be bad or even terrible but it's got to get worse before it gets better".
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by dbodner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:50 am

Let's put aside the word rebuild. What I feel is I have yet to see a year where we say "okay, this year we may be bad or even terrible but it's got to get worse before it gets better".

You don't think the Korver move was a sign of this?

I mean, I don't think it's going to completely change the makeup of the team, but moving a guy who stefanski admits is an asset for cap space to me screams of getting worse before we get better.
sports savant
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#39 » by sports savant » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:13 am

to ALL: I APOLOGIZE FOR MIS-SPELLING THE NAME. I AM ALL FOR CORRECTING IT!!

Dbodner: I hope I didnt ruin your day cause you thought you were the only FORUM guy to get an interview....

by any chance, Eddie Steph says he's not making calls for Miller, but did he say WHO'S CALLING HIM??? (another tricky way for him to hide/withdold info)

and two points to the guy who's arguing the KORVER trade:

Korver was the move to really move to ideally put the 6ers under the cap. Now Ed can either make a BIG move by trading Miller OR he can wait till the off season when we can sign a $15-/$20 million player:

when you consider our draft pick, and $20 million player, signing Lou and Iggy to team up with Thad and Jason Smith, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a MAKE-OVER...... AT LEAST

maybe GREEN and Carney get traded, but there are multiple options now when last yr there was NOT.

DBODNER, congrats on the interview.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by dbodner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:04 am

OR he can wait till the off season when we can sign a $15-/$20 million player:

Not yet we can't.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers