All-Time 76ers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Re: All-Time 76ers 

Post#21 » by tk76 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 12:22 pm

Sir Charles played a fair share at SF. He was a tweener, especially early in his career.

One of my favorite Sixers team '89/90 had Charles starting at SF: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/1990.html

PG:Dawk
SG: Hawk
SF: Chuckster
PF: Mahorn
C: G'Man

6th: Anderson
Deep Bench: Thunder Bob, Scottie Brooks, Kenny the Payne
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 221

Post#22 » by ChuckS » Thu Aug 7, 2008 12:32 pm

In keeping with my maverick nature, I'm going with my favorites at the expense of a couple of probably greater talents who most in their right minds would pick.

Point Guards: Mo Cheeks and Andre Miller. What can I say? I prefer great floor generals who score when it is needed.

Shooting Guards: Hal Greer and Andrew Toney. Ivy is the greater talent, and I really did appreciate the opportunity to enjoy him. But quite frankly I believe the others were better shooters, infinitely better defenders, and would actually give it up on a give and go. When he played for us, I thought AI hogged the ball...whether out of necessity or not.

Small Forwards: Julius Erving and Chet Walker.

Power Forwards: Dolph Schayes and Luke Jackson. Like Iverson, Charles Barkley was the greater talent. It just always annoyed me when he dribbled out the clock backing down his man from the left key. He always made the shot, was clutch, fast, and a great rebounder, but I always hated so much one on one (although I realize it is sometimes necessary). Again, it could be explained by his surrounding cast. He also was a lousy defender.

Centers: Wilt Chamberlain and Moses Malone.

Sixth Men: I loved Blue, but I'll go with Billy Cunningham and Bobby Jones.

Coaches: Championships are what it is all about so I have to go with Alex Hannum and Billy Cunningham, but I'm adding Larry Brown who did the "mostest" with the "leastest".
Philly_King
Senior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Philly_King » Thu Aug 7, 2008 2:25 pm

tk76 wrote:Sir Charles played a fair share at SF. He was a tweener, especially early in his career.

One of my favorite Sixers team '89/90 had Charles starting at SF: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/1990.html

C'mon man he's considered one of the best PFs of all time. Just because he played SF in spot minutes doesn't mean it would make sense to play him out of position often. He thrived as a PF so making him play at the 3 is wasting his talent and that of the team(especially if DrJ is on the bench)
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#24 » by Skates » Thu Aug 7, 2008 2:34 pm

ChuckS wrote:In keeping with my maverick nature, I'm going with my favorites at the expense of a couple of probably greater talents who most in their right minds would pick.

Point Guards: Mo Cheeks and Andre Miller. What can I say? I prefer great floor generals who score when it is needed.

Shooting Guards: Hal Greer and Andrew Toney. Ivy is the greater talent, and I really did appreciate the opportunity to enjoy him. But quite frankly I believe the others were better shooters, infinitely better defenders, and would actually give it up on a give and go. When he played for us, I thought AI hogged the ball...whether out of necessity or not.

Small Forwards: Julius Erving and Chet Walker.

Power Forwards: Dolph Schayes and Luke Jackson. Like Iverson, Charles Barkley was the greater talent. It just always annoyed me when he dribbled out the clock backing down his man from the left key. He always made the shot, was clutch, fast, and a great rebounder, but I always hated so much one on one (although I realize it is sometimes necessary). Again, it could be explained by his surrounding cast. He also was a lousy defender.

Centers: Wilt Chamberlain and Moses Malone.

Sixth Men: I loved Blue, but I'll go with Billy Cunningham and Bobby Jones.

Coaches: Championships are what it is all about so I have to go with Alex Hannum and Billy Cunningham, but I'm adding Larry Brown who did the "mostest" with the "leastest".

Freaky, other than playing Barkley as the second SF ahead of Walker, I could not agree with this list more. Barkley showed when he played on the Olympic Dream Team the kind of layer he could be surrounded by more talent. Walker would be my third choice at SF, although Iggy would fit into that role as well. Moving Barkley to SF I would consider a shot-blocker like Ratliff as my fifth big man playing both PF and C. I also keep Larry Brown away from this team, they don't need all the yapping he would feel compelled to do. Note his work with the Olympic team.
bballin76
Senior
And1: 10

Post#25 » by bballin76 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 3:23 pm

My All-Time starting 5:
PG: Mo
SG: AI
SF: Dr. J
PF: Barkley
C: Wilt

My All-Time craziest starting 5
PG: Dana Barros
SG: Willie Green
SF: Willie Burton
PF: Sharone Wright
C: Shawn Bradley
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by tk76 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:01 pm

bballin76 wrote:My All-Time starting 5:
PG: Mo
SG: AI
PF: Barkley
C: Wilt

My All-Time craziest starting 5
PG: Dana Barros
SG: Willie Green
SF: Willie Burton
PF: Sharone Wright
C: Shawn Bradley

I would put Manute in front of Bradley, althou I gues Bol never was a starter.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#27 » by Skates » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:04 pm

Philly_King wrote:
tk76 wrote:Sir Charles played a fair share at SF. He was a tweener, especially early in his career.

C'mon man he's considered one of the best PFs of all time. Just because he played SF in spot minutes doesn't mean it would make sense to play him out of position often. He thrived as a PF so making him play at the 3 is wasting his talent and that of the team(especially if DrJ is on the bench)

tk is correct, Barkley was a tweener who played a lot of SF early in his career before he started to pack on the pounds and lost some of his quickness. He was the SF on the Mahorn teams as noted and that was the best Sixers team he played on when he was the franchise guy. The god-forsaken Ruland/Hinson trades were also meant to keep Chuck at SF with Ruland at C, Hinson at PF and Cliff Robinson at PF and while the trades were executed poorly, the concept was sound to surround Barkley with a bruising high post passer at C and a super shotblocker at PF. Barkley was always way too short to adequately defend decent PF's. In truth he was a forward and a player that was impossible to easily categorize or typecast. Barkley, like Iverson, was a true tweener who simply had so much talent that he was able to succeed despite his unusual size ability combination. Just because some lazy writers who think everyone has to be fit into a pre-ordained set of position descriptions call him a power forward for purposes of comparing him to other players, doesn't make it true. Being a powerful forward is not the same thing as being a power forward in the classic sense.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by tk76 » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:09 pm

I enjoyed watching SF Barkley a whole lot more than the PF Barkley that held the ball in the post hoping for an illegal defense call. His greatest Philly moments where when he was running the floor.
CoachK
Sophomore

Post#29 » by CoachK » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:18 pm

Kangaroo Kid is Billy Cunningham.

kanga wrote:
Swoll Cracker wrote:C- Big Dipper
F- Lord Charles
F - Doc
G- Bulldog
G- AI

Off the bench:

Moses
Chet the Jet
Kangaroo Kid
World B.
Mo

Scrubs:

Lucious
Wally Wonder
Bobby Jones
Andrew Toney
Johnny Callison :D

I don't know who Kangaroo Kid is, but i like him.

No room for Dolph Schayes on your bench?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,054

Post#30 » by Stanford » Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:21 pm

Half this board is too young and the other half is too old.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#31 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Thu Aug 7, 2008 10:21 pm

I totally forgot about the Dawk. Him and smashing the backboards baby! I should replace Daly with the Dawk.
Kunlun
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#32 » by Kunlun » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:15 am

PG: Maurice Cheeks
SG: Hal Greer
PF: Moses Malone
C: WIlt Chamberlain

SIxth man: Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley.
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#33 » by Sixercise » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:42 am

Kunlun wrote:PG: Maurice Cheeks
SG: Hal Greer
PF: Moses Malone
C: WIlt Chamberlain

SIxth man: Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley.

I'd take that lineup & add Cunningham, Chocolate Thunder, and Free to the active bench.

IR list would have Chet Walker, Dolph Schayes & any one of the following guys: Wail Jones or Lucious Jackson.
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
barkley34
Veteran

Post#34 » by barkley34 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:02 am

tk76 wrote:but I'm guessing he was better than today's embattled leader.

It was before my time, but the year we won the title Greer avg like 28 ppg in the post season. He is probably the most underrated Sixer of all-time.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#35 » by freshie2 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 11:13 am

Interesting show on NBA TV yesterday where they highlighted Andrew Toney. Had clips and comments from former players, who were comparing him to being the most feared guy they had to line up against except for Jordan (Bird was one of the players they quoted). They also said if he didn't have the foot injuries, he easily would have ended up on the NBA top 50 team of all time. He was such a key player for the Championship team, and I remember him being a fantastic player, but I was kind of suprised to hear that much accolade for him. Stats wise, he's a career 50% shooter from the floor, 80% from the line and really never was 'the man' as he always played with Doc & co. Would have been interesting to see where he actually ended up if he did not have the injuries...can't start him on this type of team, but he definitely would be a bench player.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#36 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:06 pm

All of the big names have been mentioned but a name that almost never comes up is Ron Anderson. He wasn;t an All-Star but for a while there, Ron was one of the best 6th men in the league and had an outstanding outside shot.

I'm telling you... the 1990 team is my favorite of all-time.
CoachK
Sophomore

Post#37 » by CoachK » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:10 pm

Does anyone remember Wally Jones's shot? His whole body would convulse when taking a shot. I would put him on the team just to watch him shoot.....LOL.......
docwasoverated
Junior

Post#38 » by docwasoverated » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:26 pm

BillyHoyle wrote:if you could select an All-Time 76ers starting 5, (don't focus only on numbers but on "team-chemistry" as well), how would it look like?

iverson and toney at guard..bobby jones and barkley at forward with wilt at center.cheeks( my all time fav 6ers),kangeroo kid, doc,luke jackson and moses as the 2nd five..coached by dr. ramsey ast. jim o'brien ( did the most with the least ..also outcoached that play the right way..brown)
is1531
Banned User

Post#39 » by is1531 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:01 pm

PF- Billy Cunningham
SF- DR J
C Big Dipper Chamberlain
G Hal Greer
G Doug Collins

Return to Philadelphia 76ers