Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Re: Official 2008 Free Agency News/Discussion Thread 

Post#2761 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:09 am

jmon wrote:
Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Didn't Jay Williams and his Motorcycle accident teach athletes to be a little more careful.

Huh? He wasn't on a motorcycle or snowboarding here... he was doing what basketball players do all offseason. They play in pick up games.

I'm starting to think it's best to just ignore Dedicated at this point. He/she has gone off of the deep end and posted some crazy things recently. How in the world Jay Williams shattering his pelvis in a bike accident is comparable to Jason Smith injuring his knee in a pick-up game... well, I will never know. Frankly, I'm not sure I want to anymore either.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2762 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:12 am

kanga wrote:How about this guy for backup Center?

sorry to trivialize the injury.. i couldn't help it. I'm slowly constructing my Sixer Dream Team.
PG: Baron
SG:
SF:
PF: Brand
C: Dwight

And the hits keep on coming. Hmmm, who's going to become the SG and SF???
tanman636
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2763 » by tanman636 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:39 am

lol post that dwight howard pic in the magics forum :D
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2764 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:48 am

tanman636 wrote:lol post that dwight howard pic in the magics forum :D

LOL! I don't think it'll have the same effect. Clipper fans are kind of like a dog that has been beaten down by it's owner. When it's all by itself, it's ears are perked up and all is right in the world. However, it's mood can be flipped upside-down at the first site of trouble.

By posting that B-Diddy photo, kanga more or less went Michael Vick on that board.
tanman636
Junior

Post#2765 » by tanman636 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 3:51 am

The Guilty Party wrote:
tanman636 wrote:lol post that dwight howard pic in the magics forum :D

LOL! I don't think it'll have the same effect. Clipper fans are kind of like a dog that has been beaten down by it's owner. When it's all by itself, it's ears are perked up and all is right in the world. However, it's mood can be flipped upside-down at the first site of trouble.

By posting that B-Diddy photo, kanga more or less went Michael Vick on that board.

haha thats true :lol:
geiger
Banned User

Post#2766 » by geiger » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:18 am

Jay Williams should have taught these guys to stop playing basketball. I mean, is there anything stupider than playing basketball, getting injured, and then not being able to play basketball? I hope all these guys on the Sixers stop playing basketball and take care of their health, so they can stay healthy enough to play basketball. I mean, that's just common sense.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2767 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:33 am

But you see. If you wanna work on your skills. Get a partner for one on one drills. Hell, practice by yourself. Street Ball Games are rough.
jmon
Junior

Post#2768 » by jmon » Fri Aug 8, 2008 4:50 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:But you see. If you wanna work on your skills. Get a partner for one on one drills. Hell, practice by yourself. Street Ball Games are rough.

A pick up game and a street ball game are different things for an NBA player. At least that is my understanding.

I am sure Smith was playing in a pick up game with Div I/NBA/D-league/overseas guys in a gym where he does it on a regular basis.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#2769 » by freshie2 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 11:04 am

Exactly...I'm sure he wasn't at Fairmont Park playing with the locals, drinking some colt 45 instead of G2. This is what he's supposed to be doing...if he got injured sky diving, that would be another thing. This really isn't good...I thought he was the first big off the bench this season, so this really hurts. As someone referenced, we'll see more of Speights early on.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2770 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 11:51 am

G2 is straight up nasty.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#2771 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:02 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:
kanga wrote:How about this guy for backup Center?

sorry to trivialize the injury.. i couldn't help it. I'm slowly constructing my Sixer Dream Team.
PG: Baron
SG:
SF:
PF: Brand
C: Dwight

And the hits keep on coming. Hmmm, who's going to become the SG and SF???

Dare I say...Thad and Iggy?

I'd definitely have Thad in there. And for the SG, I think I'd say Lebron.

Here is my dream team for sure.

PG- Paul/D. Rose/Conley
SG-K. Martin/M. Webster/CJ Miles
SF- LeBron/Thad/A. Randolph
PF- Al Jefferson/Beasley/Aldridge
C- Howard/Oden/D. Jordan

Hehe.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#2772 » by sixerfan1976 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:13 pm

We are talking to Magliore and Ratliff..trying to convince either to come here and be the backup center on a 1 year vet min deal.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2773 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:16 pm

Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I find it interesting that Martin and Jefferson are starters on your dream team. Also, you apparently aren't a fan of ANYONE over 25 years old.

For me, I think my current dream team starters would be the following:

B. Davis
Wade
LeBron
Brand
Amare
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2774 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:18 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:We are talking to Magliore and Ratliff..trying to convince either to come here and be the backup center on a 1 year vet min deal.

Well, as far as veteran backup centers go... they're probably the two best out there. My gut feeling is that I would rather have Ratliff over Magloire. I think there's a really good reason he's been on 5 teams in the past 4 seasons.
Philly_King
Senior

Post#2775 » by Philly_King » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:18 pm

Meh I don't think the Smith injury will affect us much at all. All it means is Speights will get more minutes as will the vet big man Ed signs(Harrison?). Let's not blow this out of proportion and make Smith seem anything more than he is- a backup stiff that has a decent J. He didn't even impress in the SL.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2776 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:22 pm

Philly_King wrote:Meh I don't think the Smith injury will affect us much at all. All it means is Speights will get more minutes as will the vet big man Ed signs(Harrison?). Let's not blow this out of proportion and make Smith seem anything more than he is- a backup stiff that has a decent J. He didn't even impress in the SL.

A) I like Speights but banking on him to be the ONLY backup center in case of Sammy getting injured is not a good thing.

B) While I'm sure you were in Vegas to watch Smith play.... I think I'll go with this report instead...

4. The Sixers have some trade bait

The signing of Elton Brand has left Philadelphia with a bit of a logjam at power forward. With Brand, who has averaged 38.3 minutes in his career, expected to log heavy minutes at the position, incumbents Reggie Evans and Jason Smith will be fighting for the backup minutes.

If Sixers GM Ed Stefanski is looking to trade one (and there have been no indications that he is), Smith has value. The 6-10, 240-pound forward averaged 15.6 points and 8.0 rebounds in a superb summer league. Several scouts were impressed by Smith's improved ability to knock down the mid-range jump shot with regularity.

"He's a starter in this league," an Eastern Conference scout said. "No question."

Smith will make $1.3 million this season, and with team options at $1.4 and $2.2 million the following two years, he is one of the league's best bargains.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... cap/1.html
Philly_King
Senior

Post#2777 » by Philly_King » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:39 pm

^^ Did he not lead the SL in fouls? Besides, Speights outplayed Smith by a WIDE margin. I'm not saying having Smith wouldn't have been a good thing, it's just that I feel his role is something that could be replaced easily. Anyways, if the injury is season-ending I think Ed will sign more than 1 big, just in case Speights isn't ready
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2778 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:50 pm

I agree that his role isn't that great on this team... but this team needs a replacement center for him. The summer leagues have meant nothing for years. If they actually carried over to the real NBA season, then I'm sure John Salmons would be a Hall of Fame player and/or Marco Bellinelli would have done something, ANYTHING, in the league last year.

Can Speights be our backup center for Dalembert? Yes but let's not bank on it just yet.
geiger
Banned User

Post#2779 » by geiger » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:28 pm

John Salmons coincidentally is a very good NBA player right now and is a likely starter this season. Bellinelli didn't get on the court last season, but it doesn't mean he won't become a good NBA player down the road. Summer League success doesn't always translate to NBA success, that's for certain - Nate Robinson was the MVP last season. However, skills are what they are - when you see a player that has prototypical size and athleticism for his position exhibit a strong set of skills as part of his production, that will usually translate well to the league. In other words, if it's a super quick guy beating kids who aren't good enough to be 3rd string PGs off the dribble all the time to get his points, it might not give you an insight into his subsequent NBA success. However, if you see a guy exhibit an all around game, solid 3 point shooting, mid-range pull up jumper, running off screens, and ability to take people off the dribble, and he plays well in the summer league, chances are that he will also be able to contribute to an NBA team.

Speights by the way did not outplay Smith by a wide margin. I watched every game. Their games were entirely different and Smith showed an excellent variety to his game, hitting jumpers, putting the ball on the floor, and even banging inside a little bit. Speights did abuse some guys not good enough to be back ups in Spain in the post, but his defense was attrocious and he showed that he needs to gain a lot of strength to be able to effectively play in the post against bigger, stronger NBA players.
Philly_King
Senior

Post#2780 » by Philly_King » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:54 pm

geiger wrote:Speights by the way did not outplay Smith by a wide margin. I watched every game. Their games were entirely different and Smith showed an excellent variety to his game, hitting jumpers, putting the ball on the floor, and even banging inside a little bit. Speights did abuse some guys not good enough to be back ups in Spain in the post, but his defense was attrocious and he showed that he needs to gain a lot of strength to be able to effectively play in the post against bigger, stronger NBA players.

Funny because I thought he played very good D in all the games. Besides, Smith was awful in the first 3 games or so, though thankfully saving face in the last 2 games. And if the competition was so bad why didn't Smith, 1 year older than Speights, average more than 15/8 with 3.6TO and 7 fouls per game? He should have dominated against mostly rookies and scrubs but was a mess in the 1st 3 games and let Speights clearly outplay him on both ends of the court.
Rest assured, if we can sign a true backup C in Ratliff/Harrison and a project PF(E.Brown) I don't think Smith will be missed one bit, especially if Speights steps up during the season.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers