ImageImageImage

Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 24,549

Re: Official 2020-21 Season Thread #1: To Beard or not To Beard? 

Post#281 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Spoiler:
sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:We have better options on halfcourt offense.
STOP LETTING BEN RUN OUR HALFCOURT OFFENSE.

Read on Twitter

I agree, but the short term answer is to keep doing what we are doing. If this were still Brett doing the same failed concepts, I would be dumbfounded. However, I find Ben being 0-4 from three in his last four games encouraging. I think with each missed shot, the anxiety of missing a shot lessens (although the airball didn’t help.) if he keeps shooting one three a game, I think it’s a gateway to slowly start improving his perimeter game.

While it is not necessarily making me believe he should be our point guard, it makes me believe Doc has an impact on these players, and I am willing to give him some time to mold the team. If he believes in Ben, then I’m okay seeing what Doc can do.

Our options are to move Shake to start at point, start Maxey at point, make a trade, or let Doc keep doing what he thinks is best. Doc has only had the team for five or six weeks, so while I’ve seen way too much of Ben being ineffective in the halfcourt, I’m okay with patience in this spot.

Doc’s a smart coach.

What he’s doing is he wants to have a handful of good cards.

He starts with Ben running the offense, this works, then proceed (rarely works; works on meaningless games).

If ben running the offense does not work, we then shift to a more Biid centric offense.

If Biid struggles, he inserts Shake for Green, then let Shake help on offense.

But ideally, it stops with “Biid struggling” phase, so he’d have Shake and Maxey as a strong card off the bench.

Then to close out games, he acknowledges Ben is weak. So he replaces Green with Seth.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#282 » by 6ers83 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:02 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:We have better options on halfcourt offense.
STOP LETTING BEN RUN OUR HALFCOURT OFFENSE.

Read on Twitter

I agree, but the short term answer is to keep doing what we are doing. If this were still Brett doing the same failed concepts, I would be dumbfounded. However, I find Ben being 0-4 from three in his last four games encouraging. I think with each missed shot, the anxiety of missing a shot lessens (although the airball didn’t help.) if he keeps shooting one three a game, I think it’s a gateway to slowly start improving his perimeter game.

While it is not necessarily making me believe he should be our point guard, it makes me believe Doc has an impact on these players, and I am willing to give him some time to mold the team. If he believes in Ben, then I’m okay seeing what Doc can do.

Our options are to move Shake to start at point, start Maxey at point, make a trade, or let Doc keep doing what he thinks is best. Doc has only had the team for five or six weeks, so while I’ve seen way too much of Ben being ineffective in the halfcourt, I’m okay with patience in this spot.

Wow

They know exactly what Ben will do without a doubt

Alarming
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,926

Post#283 » by kriss73 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:08 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
kriss73 wrote:
Stanford wrote:
Is he even allowed to talk about it?

Good question. I dont' know. Maybe not

Were you thinking he would have a press conference to discuss his trade offer? Teams don’t generally discuss trade talks, particularly trade talks for a trade that didn’t happen. Danny Ainge said the price was too high or something, but I don’t think any GM would discuss their specific offer, so there really wouldn’t be much to say.

Reportedly Ben and Thybulle are aware that they were part of offers deep in trade talks, but I don’t see Morey discussing that publicly. In addition, if he discussed failed trade offers in public, I’m not so sure other teams would be as willing to do business with him. Certainly can’t help.

No of course you dont 'have to set a press conference to discuss a trade you didn't do.
But I wonder if Morey had a chance to speak with the media (for whatever reason) after the trade and if someone asked about the rumored interest of the Sixers for Harden.
Simply this.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,926

Post#284 » by kriss73 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:11 pm

Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
76ciology
RealGM

Post#285 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Ive mentioned this in the game thread but didnt provide the clip.

I dont know why we run that Ben-D12 DHO that leads to Green needing to run a PnR.

Make it simple. Let Maxey run the PnR. If it fails, then thats the time you run this hilarious action
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,256

Post#286 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:49 pm

kriss73 wrote:Image

Kind of obvious they didn’t want any salary commitments. My guess is on equal contracts they would have taken Caris over Oladipo.

We were offering a guy on a max contract for a several year commitment and had less draft picks to offer. I’m not sure how much the Rockets valued Ben, but I think his salary, while probably considered a value, may have not been attractive for an owner so concerned with salary.

He mentions how “especially high picks” are attractive. Most of the picks they got will be the Nets picks which are projected to be middle of the draft, at least near term. I could see the Nets eventually falling apart with this older group and eventually the picks be higher first round.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#287 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:53 pm

sixers hoops wrote:

Kind of obvious they didn’t want any salary commitments. My guess is on equal contracts they would have taken Caris over Oladipo.

We were offering a guy on a max contract for a several year commitment and had less draft picks to offer. I’m not sure how much the Rockets valued Ben, but I think his salary, while probably considered a value, may have not been attractive for an owner so concerned with salary.

He mentions how “especially high picks” are attractive. Most of the picks they got will be the Nets picks which are projected to be middle of the draft, at least near term. I could see the Nets eventually falling apart with this older group and eventually the picks be higher first round.

1 to 3 lottery picks from the 2025,2026 and 2027 picks. Maybe they can select LaMelo Ball’s son by then.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,256

Post#288 » by sixers hoops » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:58 pm

76ciology wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

1 to 3 lottery picks from the 2025,2026 and 2027 picks. Maybe they can select LaMelo Ball’s son by then.

Similar to the Billy King trade, in that he gambled on older players, which is risky. However, Harden, Irving, and Durant are 30-32 age range. Garnett, Pierce, and Joe Johnson were mid-30s I believe. Deron was prob about 30 and Brooke Lopez mid 20s.

In three years the Nets could tail off and those picks could have some value.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#289 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:08 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Similar to the Billy King trade, in that he gambled on older players, which is risky. However, Harden, Irving, and Durant are 30-32 age range. Garnett, Pierce, and Joe Johnson were mid-30s I believe. Deron was prob about 30 and Brooke Lopez mid 20s.

In three years the Nets could tail off and those picks could have some value.

Nets should be very aware of the risks, having experienced this first hand.

Personally, I think we could easily match the Nets offer. We can trade Ben to the Pacers for Dipo and a 2025 1sts then give up the exact package of picks the Nets gave. Thybulle should be better than Exum.

In the end, Nets just wants it more than we do. And I really believe Fertita’s grudge against Morey was real.

I hate to say this but Brand would have brought harden here. Its going to be hard for Morey to make up for this.

Pretty sure Doc and Morey got drunk the night the deal went down. They were like “oh boy.. we’re in for a bumpy ride”.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#290 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter

No need for Harden, Korky is here.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 955

Post#291 » by zaz102 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:29 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

No need for Harden, Korky is here.
Read on Twitter
?s=21
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,318

Post#292 » by DCasey91 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:18 am

There’s a huge gap between Magic and Simmons in the skill/iq department but his size is very similar. Now Simmons has zero chance to be Magic but he should be miles better at taking care of the ball and shifting around defenders with a size.

But he doesn’t know how to play slow or change direction without any efficiency it’s very much one speed all the time.

I just wish Ben had acceptable big man skills that I would take over anything else in this point in time.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#293 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:01 pm

76ciology wrote: Tilman Fertita’s biggest problem all this time..

How can he make the Nets offer more than what Sixers is offering so he won’t look bad to the franchise?

Nets eventually did the unexpected and give up quite a haul of picks for Harden.

Once Nets decided to match Sixers offer by means of picks, he didnt even try to give Morey a chance to counter offer. Why would he?

When his problem was solved.

:lol:

Read on Twitter

Rox played us well
SixthStreet
Starter
And1: 1,695

Post#294 » by SixthStreet » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:09 pm

Even at the expense of Simmons ego, Morey was right to dangle Simmons as a way to extract more from the Nets. It's valuable for the Sixers that the Nets are draft-handicapped for 7 years at the expense of a team in the other conference. If Simmons wasn't on the table the Nets could have done the deal cheaper.

I don't call that played.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#295 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:13 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Even at the expense of Simmons ego, Morey was right to dangle Simmons as a way to extract more from the Nets. It's valuable for the Sixers that the Nets are draft-handicapped for 7 years at the expense of a team in the other conference. If Simmons wasn't on the table the Nets could have done the deal cheaper.

76ciology
RealGM

Post#296 » by 76ciology » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,720

Post#297 » by Iverson Armband » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:33 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Even at the expense of Simmons ego, Morey was right to dangle Simmons as a way to extract more from the Nets. It's valuable for the Sixers that the Nets are draft-handicapped for 7 years at the expense of a team in the other conference. If Simmons wasn't on the table the Nets could have done the deal cheaper.

Simmons was on the table because they were willing to trade his ass lol. Not to make the Nets pay more. You don’t play silly games like that.
always a jump shot away.
Brooklyn91
Pro Prospect
And1: 840

Post#298 » by Brooklyn91 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:36 pm

76er fans, I come in peace. Kyrie and shamet for Ben Simmons
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,632

Post#299 » by Stanford » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Brooklyn91 wrote:76er fans, I come in peace. Kyrie and shamet for Ben Simmons

n'thanks

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good lord that's a lot. I'm sure they would have bled the organization for swaps down the line as well.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,720

Post#300 » by Iverson Armband » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:40 pm

Brooklyn91 wrote:76er fans, I come in peace. Kyrie and shamet for Ben Simmons

Is this in some alternate universe where Kyrie isn’t a headcase?
always a jump shot away.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers