ImageImageImage

Official 2008 Free Agency News/Discussion Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

IggyTheBEaST
RealGM
And1: 0

Re: Official 2008 Free Agency News/Discussion Thread 

Post#2801 » by IggyTheBEaST » Sat Aug 9, 2008 6:54 pm

back on topic, cough cough. I heard rumors that Iggy is gonna get 14 million?!?!?!? someone please tell me thats not true. PLEASE
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2802 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat Aug 9, 2008 9:56 pm

The deal has been discussed, but apparently there's no signing yet. I also imagine 14M for Iggy would be as close to a compromise as possible for both sides. If there's no signing, I suppose that Iggy wants more and Ed at this point would probably give up on Iguodala and S/T talks will resume.
tanman636
Junior

Post#2803 » by tanman636 » Sat Aug 9, 2008 11:16 pm

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/ ... _tear.html

While no one in the 76ers' organization would confirm it, it appears that assistant coach Henry Bibby will not return to the staff. :(

The Sixers, who have just minimum salary money remaining, were in the process of compiling a list of prospective free agents. It is likely that former Sixer Theo Ratliff, who finished last season with the Detroit Pistons, and Dutchman Franciso Elson, who played last season for the San Antonio Spurs and the Seattle SuperSonics, are on that list.
playmaker3
Sophomore

Post#2804 » by playmaker3 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:07 pm

tanman636 wrote:http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080809_Sixers__Jason_Smith_suffers_ACL_tear.html

While no one in the 76ers' organization would confirm it, it appears that assistant coach Henry Bibby will not return to the staff. :(

The Sixers, who have just minimum salary money remaining, were in the process of compiling a list of prospective free agents. It is likely that former Sixer Theo Ratliff, who finished last season with the Detroit Pistons, and Dutchman Franciso Elson, who played last season for the San Antonio Spurs and the Seattle SuperSonics, are on that list.

Guess we can cross him off that list. He apparently signed with the bucks. (per hoopshype.com)
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
barkley34
Veteran

Post#2805 » by barkley34 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 am

I wouldn't mind Theo. He was decent in limited action for Detroit.
Fire BK
Senior

Post#2806 » by Fire BK » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:17 am

It's Theo Ratliff time.

Second go-around... Get it done, Eddie.
geiger
Banned User

Post#2807 » by geiger » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:35 pm

I'm not even sure Theo wants to play anymore. He mentioned retiring several times last season, even after being dealt to the Pistons. It would likely take some serious convincing to get him to sign now and for the minimum. I think he might follow the PJ Brown route, unless he can get more than the minimum from someone. Wait until the pre-playoff deadline, and sign with a team that looks like a legit title contender.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,884

Post#2808 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:56 pm

I wonder what's happening between Iggy and the Sixers. I also think that the Josh Smith's signing DID affect the negotiation process.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
geiger
Banned User

Post#2809 » by geiger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:01 am

I'm guessing it did a bit as well, although it's probably more favorable for the team than it is for Iggy. I think the fact that the negotiations have remained quiet and out of the press is probably a good sign. At least both sides are being professional - at least to this point.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#2810 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:18 am

Jasner on DNL said today they they are pretty well apart. Not too far to where they aren't even in the ball park, but they are pretty far apart he said.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,884

Post#2811 » by 76ciology » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:51 am

geiger wrote:I'm guessing it did a bit as well, although it's probably more favorable for the team than it is for Iggy. I think the fact that the negotiations have remained quiet and out of the press is probably a good sign. At least both sides are being professional - at least to this point.

Yeah, I also think that it was favorable to the team, which is pretty good IMO.

Westbrook36 wrote:Jasner on DNL said today they they are pretty well apart. Not too far to where they aren't even in the ball park, but they are pretty far apart he said.

Wow, I can still imagine Iggy and his agent still being steadfast with their 12.5-14m/year demand.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#2812 » by 51X3RF4N » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:10 am

So, any chance Memphis does the same thing with Iggy and helps us out?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#2813 » by PowerElite » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:23 am

Every single day that passes makes Dala's signing less likely. His value became locked in with the Josh Smith signing. If Smith didn't get more than Deng then Andre can forget about it now that we signed an authentic franchise player. Smith was regarded as the top restricted free agent, certainly more coveted than Andre.
Iversean
Sixth Man
And1: 58

Post#2814 » by Iversean » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 pm

so does ben gordon come to mind?

would him +one of their wings work>

like Nocioni?

ho
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#2815 » by bebopdeluxe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:42 pm

The more time passes without a deal, the more that Iguodala looks like an unreasonable pig.

If I am correct, no other RFA has signed for more than $12 million average. No RFA has gotten a starting salary materially above $10 million. If Iguodala is still hanging on for numbers that are close to $2 million above both of those numbers, then I really hope that he just signs the QO and we move on. If he feels like a gun has been put to his head that he was forced to sign a long-term deal that is below his perception of what his market value is (a perception, in my opinion, that is fueled by mind-altering drugs), we may continue to see the whining-to-the-officials, rolling-his-eyes-at-his-teammates-on-the-floor Iggy that I love so much. On the other hand, if Stefanski is forced (by this perception that simply can't let him walk away for nothing) to pay Iggy 5/70, then Iguodala will become Philly sports fans' newest whipping boy...heaven help him if he has a bad game or goes into a shooting slump, because he will be crucified in this town.

I simply do not want that Damocles' sword hanging over my team. Too many good things are happening right now to let one players' piggishness and grossly-inflated sense of self-worth and market value tear it all down. While I know that it won't happen, I really wish that one side or the other would set a deadline...that way this distraction can finally end and we know - one way or the other - what moves Stefanski needs to make. If Iggy signs the QO, then we play Lou more at the SG, and we look to move Miller, if possible, to get our SG of the future.

This is not like the Ben Gordon situation in Chicago (where salary cap/lux tax issues are complicating matters). While every player is different, the Deng and Smith signings have set a rough framework for the kind of money that Iggy should expect...and the longer this drags out, the clearer it is to me that it is Iggy that wants unreasonable money...and the less that I want him to be a cornerstone of this team's future.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#2816 » by tk76 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:28 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:heaven help him if he has a bad game or goes into a shooting slump, because he will be crucified in this town.

I simply do not want that Damocles' sword hanging over my team.

Them be some strong words. I never realized one bad contract will bringeth down hell's fury upon us all...:onfire: Image :onfire: :devil: :pray:
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#2817 » by bebopdeluxe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:47 pm

tk:

Nice visual!

While I admit that it might be just a tad overstated (yeah...you think?), I have had it with Iguodala. He's a fine player...a "glue" guy of the highest order...a player who has had to adjust to a lot of things in his first 4 years in the league, and a guy who should benefit from the arrival of a REAL #1 option in Elton Brand.

And I think a 5/62.5 or 6/75 deal reflects ALL of that.

It will be the biggest deal that any of the RFA's get this summer - a deal that - at $12.5 mil average per year - is commensurate with a legit #2/#3 option on a quality team.

If that is not good enough...then sign the QO and don't let the door hit your selfish butt on the way out of town.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2818 » by tk76 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:11 pm

I agree about the contact concerns- in my mind 12M/yr average would be the highest I would go, but I'm not a GM or agent. Can't wait until this is all resolved one way or another. In fact, can't wait until the seaon, becasue this part of the year focusses too much on the players as people instead of basketball players. I guess maybe I'll just try and focus on FB for a while. Devlin or Clarke? Can D-Mac rebound?

Anyhow, the whole Sword of Damacles thing might make for good marketing of Iguodala and the Sixers defense->fast break style... Teams quake in the knowledge that one errant pass, and the Sixers will be off on the break, with Iguodala bringing down the Sword of Damacles on the heads... Maybe with Ave Maria in the backround- it would at least be good for a Youtube highlight vid- maybe we can get Kanga on the case?
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2819 » by tk76 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Anyone notice that with the current Sixers team the longer a player has been with the team the more negative feelings they evoke, while everyone is a fan of the newer additions? Is this just human nature or the fact that the team was bad and now is on the rise?

Longest tenure:
Sam
WG
Iguodala

Newest Sixers (scrubs not included)
Brand
Speights
Thad
geiger
Banned User

Post#2820 » by geiger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:27 pm

People have a tendency to do two things - first, they take the good things a player they see on daily basis does for granted - so we don't focus on the fact that Iggy has been a 20 point, 5.5 rebound, 5 assist, 2 steal a game player since Iverson got trade (1.5 years), or on the fact that he is our best perimiter defender and a very good defensive player at two positions. Those are taken for granted. We do focus on the fact that he sometimes truggles to get separation needed to get a clean shot off, or that he is a poor three point shooter and an inconsistent jump shooter.

Secondly, people tend to over value good players on other teams whom they do not see on regular basis. Hence, Michael Redd is highly thought off because he puts up over 20 points a game and his strength - outside shooting and 3 point precision, are highligthed by Iguodala's weaknesses. People ignore the fact that Iguodala was the leading scorer and best defender on a team that drastically over achieved, whereas Redd has been the best player on a team that has perpetually underachieved with him as the center piece and don't account for the fact that he doesn't draw fouls well, that he does not pass the ball well, that he is a poor rebounder and an absolutely attrocious defensive player.

The truth, as always, falls somewhere in the middle. Iguodala's agent is right to demand that Iguodala ask for more money than the other restricted free agents received. Based on production, he is better than those guys and without character issues that have plagued Smith, or injury issues and a down year, that have affected Deng. At the same time, the market for players of Iguodala's approximate quality has been set and it should not exceed $12 to $12.5 million a year - and even that is being very generous. Talks of a 5 year contract at an average of $14 million a season are ludicrous. If he wants to agree to incentives that could tack on an extra $2 million a season for personal and team performance - such as winning the title, reaching finals, ranking in top 5 in MVP voting, etc., that's fine, but at some point, demands have to come down. If you ask for $14 and the team counters with $10, it's a logical point to settle in the middle on $12. Maybe one party moves a little more toward the other as a gesture of good faith - such as Sixers going to $12.5, but not beyond that.

Fact of the matter is, both parties are somewhat reliant on one another. Sixers don't want their second best player unhappy and likely to leave for nothing next off-season. Iguodala does not want to take the risk of playing on a one year deal and possibly getting injured and losing out on $65 million. Moreover, it's not clear that there will be a market next off-season where Iguodala could command $14 million a year over 5 years.

Perhaps the best solution for both would be to agree to a deal averaging $12 million a year over 5 years and give Iggy a player option for the 6th season.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers