Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 24,553

Re: The Greek Geek Vs. The Turkish Terror, Bucks @ Sixers 3/29 7:00pm EST 

Post#341 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 am

Secret weapon. Do not use unless its emergency

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#342 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:13 am

The game got close because of the lack of defense with Milsap at C that leads to easy drives to the rim, and our shooters rimming in and out on their threes. Tobi played well but he missed some good looks on 3s down the stretch that could have prevented it from being a close game.

Sixers has a trouble playing this screen the screener game involving Jrue-Middleton-Giannis. Biid is at the corner defending Brolo and he can’t help when Jrue lobs it to Giannis. It exposes the lack of length and athleticism of Niang and Tobi, specially compared to ATG length and athleticism Giannis. And If Embiid defends Giannis, they’ll gonna run it with Brolo instead of Giannis. Maybe Embiid can help?

Having Biid take that turnaround jumper over Jrue and then Harden take that step back jumper over Brolo is as good as it gets in the playoffs. Teams would envy to be in that position where they have guys of that caliber taking those shots.

I kind of like ending the game with Tobi and Niang. Those two (and Harden) are switchable and they have the body to give the most decent (no choice) bodies to clog the paint or defend giannis. Those two just have to make it up by making open 3s and not turning the ball over.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#343 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 am

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kova
Veteran
And1: 744

Post#344 » by Kova » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:12 am

I'm afraid we're not going to be able to go for it this season. Still missing some pieces. When it comes down to the final stretch, we can't keep up with good teams. We can't beat any of the good teams. When push comes to shove, Raptors, Nets, Celtics and Bucks are going to beat us.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 451

Post#345 » by Zumramania » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:31 am

I'm just afraid that most of the blame will be put on the roster, and not on Rivers. And this means next season, when we get the right pieces, we will be in for a true meltdown. I hope that this does not happen, but I'd say there is a solid chance it will happen with how everything is going.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,996

Post#346 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:53 am

Harden is going to be an Albatros contract next year
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,875

Post#347 » by phillynative » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:15 am

stormi wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
stormi wrote:i was at a concert, but just got home and watched the highlights. seems like your typical sixers experience of late. big lead early, joel sits, team bleeds points and chokes away lead, joel comes back in and the sixers and their opponent go shot for shot in a close game until the end that concludes in a narrow loss.

from the highlight package it just seemed like the bucks answered every time we scored. you need competent defenders around joel and harden. that has to be plan a.

You would have greatly enjoyed Glenn's two play calls with the game on the line.

Sounds like a clear call out of incompetence by Joel Embiid in the post game presser (final sentence).

I love this by Embiid and hes completely correct. Bud orchestrated Giannis mins so that he could play aggresively without Embiid on the floor. Its just another example of being outcoached.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,875

Post#348 » by phillynative » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:26 am

On a positive note Harden, Embiid and Tobias played well against a stingy defensive team. Kudos to Giannis and the bucks though the better team won.

F.U to Doc sarcastic prick
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 865

Post#349 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:20 am

76ciology wrote:Sixers now at the highly coveted 4th seed which is projected to face the mighty Chicago Bulls and then number 1 team in the east Miami heat.

*im using good adjectives to not offend other fanbase’s team

The Sixers would go to seven against the Heat and lose game seven in Miami for another second-round exit.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#350 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:33 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
76ciology wrote:Sixers now at the highly coveted 4th seed which is projected to face the mighty Chicago Bulls and then number 1 team in the east Miami heat.

*im using good adjectives to not offend other fanbase’s team

The Sixers would go to seven against the Heat and lose game seven in Miami for another second-round exit.

Omg. If that happens, i want Ben Simmons back. Then this time, I’ll trade Embiid for SGA. Einstein said something like stupidy is doing it again if it doesn’t work hahaha jk
76ciology
RealGM

Post#351 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:37 am

Milsap and whoever at PF at that stretch wasn’t a wall.
It was a curtain.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#352 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:39 am

If we really want to win, we would have played Paul Reed. But I might be overestimating Doc.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#353 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:51 am

95% of games between teams of that nature are going to hinge on late-game possessions in which the presence or absence of reliable scoring options will determine the outcome.

Both teams will make runs throughout the game, and both teams will expose each others' weaknesses. The game will hinge on late-game possessions as it did last night.

The Sixers continue to suffer from the lack of a reliable scoring option in those situations. Having Joel Embiid function as a "wing" on the perimeter in attempting to create his own shot is not a reliable scoring option. Having James Harden take a step-back three is not a reliable scoring option. Both of those approaches involve less than a 50% likelihood of scoring -- the very definition of unreliable.

This team has to find some sort of identity in that area if it hopes to be effective in the playoffs, where the vast majority of games will no doubt unfold in the same manner. There needs to be a go-to plan in those situations that's effective, whether it involves a pick and roll with Harden and Embiid, or using Maxey on the wing in creating his own shot.

The team simply cannot approach those situations in the manner it has for the past several years -- it's highly ineffective and has proven itself so.
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#354 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:00 pm

Also, this team is giving us a glimpse of how it's going to function in the playoffs, as it plays the best teams in the league with something to play for -- the #1 seed. A convincing loss on the road to Phoenix. A close loss at home to Milwaukee. These were the top two teams in the league last year, and arguably the top two teams in the league again this year. If you believe the Sixers can lose to these teams in this situation and then simply flip a switch and "turn it on" in the playoffs and beat them, you're in for a disappointment. This team is telling you how good it is as we speak.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#355 » by 76ciology » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#356 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:11 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

Notice the midrange performance. Ridiculous that the key possession of the game -- a side-out down one with 29 seconds left -- resulted in midrange shot by Joel Embiid with his functioning as a "wing" on the perimeter. You couldn't dream up a worse approach.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,578

Post#357 » by HardenGoat » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:18 pm

Very winnable game. We need a backup center and a better defensive wing. Nothing new here. Niang is simply a shooter. We need one that plays better defense and has handles. He would be fine as a bench scorer. The lack of a backup center kills us though.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,420

Post#358 » by Mik317 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:33 pm

my head cannon is that Doc is rope a doping teams and not showing his full hand yet.

at least thats what the voices in my head tell me
#NeverGonnaBeGood
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,648

Post#359 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:34 pm

I'm not even a huge Paul Reed fan, but last night was the night to try him out. Doc has such a weird hierarchy in his mind. We probably wouldn't even know about Maxey if Ben didn't sit out the season.

On another note, I still think we're an excellent team and can win it all this year if things bounce our way. I think teams that have a slight edge over us are Phoenix, Milwaukee, and possibly Memphis/Boston. We matchup well with Memphis but not Boston IMO. In retrospect, most NBA champions have one thing or another break their way (including these Milwaukee Bucks last year). Tough loss but the sky isn't falling and I'm not giving up on this season yet.

I'm also gonna keep preaching my bit: we need Robert Covington back in a Sixers uniform.
2024-2025 Philadelphia 76ers:

Maxey/Lowry/Jackson
Martin/Gordon/McCain
Oubre/Council/Martin
George/Yabusele
Embiid/Drummond/Bona
Ferry Avenue
Starter

Post#360 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:48 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:I'm not even a huge Paul Reed fan, but last night was the night to try him out. Doc has such a weird hierarchy in his mind. We probably wouldn't even know about Maxey if Ben didn't sit out the season.

On another note, I still think we're an excellent team and can win it all this year if things bounce our way. I think teams that have a slight edge over us are Phoenix, Milwaukee, and possibly Memphis/Boston. We matchup well with Memphis but not Boston IMO. In retrospect, most NBA champions have one thing or another break their way (including these Milwaukee Bucks last year). Tough loss but the sky isn't falling and I'm not giving up on this season yet.

I'm also gonna keep preaching my bit: we need Robert Covington back in a Sixers uniform.

That'll be the scenario every year until the team has a reliable scoring option in the clutch. Phoenix has Booker and Paul. Milwaukee has Giannis and Middleton. The Sixers have no one reliably. If they continue to function in that manner, they'll always be distinct from the best teams in the league and therefore very unlikely to win a championship. And Robert Covington may make the team better, but he isn't going to supply the missing key ingredient of winning at that level.

In my opinion the team needs to start to explore how it functions with Tyrese Maxey's having the ball in the clutch and creating his own shot. Embiid and Harden can certainly play an important role in that regard themselves, and may well in fact take the shot (after a pass), but the offense now needs to operate through Maxey in that situation in my opinion. That gives you your single best improvement in win probability against the best teams in the league.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers