Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

broseph13
Senior
And1: 170

Re: Richaun Holmes 

Post#41 » by broseph13 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:24 pm

KingKyrie1 wrote:
joyeuxnoel wrote:holmes will be a nice big off the bench

hes one of the least expendable because hes cheap and noel is going to have to be paid soon

healthy embiid + okafor. saric as 6th man, and holmes as 4th big off the bench

if i had to trade one big, its noel. he doesnt have the range to play PF on offense while okafor has shown he has the potential to slide to PF and saric is a PF

I don't understand though, Okafor if we are looking at advanced statistics is the worst big in the NBA, how is that possible?

Stop making evaluations with a strong emphasis on advanced stats (Brandan Wright even has a high PER and other great advanced stats, yet isn't all that good) and just watch the guy play. While Okafor has his flaws, the guy is a player who has phenomenal post moves, a developing mid-range game, isn't restricted to the 5 position, can make foul shots, and could very well be a 20 and 10 guy with okay defense (he'll likely never be a great defender, but he could eventually become decent/acceptable) for the next decade. You don't trade away bigs like that and keep bigs with zero post moves, can't dribble, can't shoot, can't pass, have terrible hands, get pushed around in the paint due to being so thin, and who will likely want a $60+ million extension very soon.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#42 » by dorkestra » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Kobblehead wrote:The only flaw here is your perspective on the trade.

'14-'15:
- K.J didn't contribute for the Rockets when they acquired him. He played 33 TOTAL minutes in 21 games. He was a playoff DNP, coaches decision.
- Canaan instantly became our best offensive player, averaging 25 minutes a night over the final 22 games.

That's a win for us.

'15-'16:
- K.J. signed a three year extension over the summer. Still can't crack the rotation. Is sent to the D-League where he's playing marginal basketball.
- Sixers draft a promising big that is performing on both ends through the early going.
- Isaiah Canaan tailed off a bit from last year, but is still one of your three best offensive players.

Margin of win on the trade is even more widened.

At what point was this ever a bad move?

It was never a "horrible" trade, but again your means of attempting to evaluate guys using out of context statistics doesn't make much sense. Or rather, it shows lack of perspective. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course it looks good now that Holmes is our pick.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#43 » by OleSchool » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:16 pm

dorkestra wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:The only flaw here is your perspective on the trade.

'14-'15:
- K.J didn't contribute for the Rockets when they acquired him. He played 33 TOTAL minutes in 21 games. He was a playoff DNP, coaches decision.
- Canaan instantly became our best offensive player, averaging 25 minutes a night over the final 22 games.

That's a win for us.

'15-'16:
- K.J. signed a three year extension over the summer. Still can't crack the rotation. Is sent to the D-League where he's playing marginal basketball.
- Sixers draft a promising big that is performing on both ends through the early going.
- Isaiah Canaan tailed off a bit from last year, but is still one of your three best offensive players.

Margin of win on the trade is even more widened.

At what point was this ever a bad move?

It was never a "horrible" trade, but again your means of attempting to evaluate guys using out of context statistics doesn't make much sense. Or rather, it shows lack of perspective. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course it looks good now that Holmes is our pick.

Even if Holmes wasnt the pick you still have KJ who cant crack the rotation and was sent to the DLeague, and hes getting paid 2.5 million more than Canaan. Just that alone is a win
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#44 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Jah and Embiid with Saric 6th man and Holmes as 4th big man. I think is a potential extremely special frontcourt rotation.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,286

Post#45 » by Kobblehead » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:21 pm

dorkestra wrote:It was never a "horrible" trade, but again your means of attempting to evaluate guys using out of context statistics doesn't make much sense. Or rather, it shows lack of perspective. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course it looks good now that Holmes is our pick.

It was never a poor or bad move, either. You demonstrated poor judgement in making that statement.

I used his D-league OBPM to display that he's still a 1-dimensional player, regardless of level of competition. Thus, inferring that he's likely to never be much more than that at the pro level. That's not out of context or lacking in perspective. Stop reaching.

Forget about hindsight, I showed you why it was a good move at the time, as well. You just keep entrenching your position in an awful opinion.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#46 » by dorkestra » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
dorkestra wrote:It was never a "horrible" trade, but again your means of attempting to evaluate guys using out of context statistics doesn't make much sense. Or rather, it shows lack of perspective. Hindsight is 20/20 and of course it looks good now that Holmes is our pick.

It was never a poor or bad move, either. You demonstrated poor judgement in making that statement.

I used his D-league OBPM to display that he's still a 1-dimensional player, regardless of level of competition. Thus, inferring that he's likely to never be much more than that at the pro level. That's not out of context or lacking in perspective. Stop reaching.

Forget about hindsight, I showed you why it was a good move at the time, as well. You just keep entrenching your position in an awful opinion.

The fact that you think you can take a single stat like that, out of context on a D League team whose aim is to shoot threes and dunk, as a means of evaluating his potential impact is laughable and silly. Obviously with a wide range of ages of people posting on this board with varying knowledge of basketball and handle of statistics, you're going to get some statements like yours. It's okay to admit you don't understand. Stating that KJ is a one dimensional player while not acknowledging that Canaan is not even that is frankly dishonest. You're going to be ignored from here on out in any discussion relating to evaluating prospects or use of statistics. Nothing personal, but it's not worth my time. Merry Christmas.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#47 » by Kobblehead » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:46 pm

dorkestra wrote:The fact that you think you can take a single stat like that, out of context on a D League team whose aim is to shoot threes and dunk, as a means of evaluating his potential impact is laughable and silly. Obviously with a wide range of ages of people posting on this board with varying knowledge of basketball and handle of statistics, you're going to get some statements like yours. It's okay to admit you don't understand. Stating that KJ is a one dimensional player while not acknowledging that Canaan is not even that is frankly dishonest. You're going to be ignored from here on out in any discussion relating to evaluating prospects or use of statistics. Nothing personal, but it's not worth my time. Merry Christmas.

What are you even talking about? That stat wasn't taken out of context. I showed you that an offensive zero, K.J. McDaniels, is still an offensive zero regardless of what level of play he's at. The D-League team's philosophy of shooting threes and dunking is the EXACT philosophy of the team he came from ran by Hinkie (a Morey disciple) and the team he's on now (ran by Daryl Morey).

This conversation has nothing to do with K.J. McDaniels vs. Isiah Canaan, one on one. What can't you understand about this?

This is about:

K.J. McDaniels and the contract he was going to command in the offseason

vs.

Isaiah Canaan and a 2nd rounder

Nobody with any logic would ever think this was a bad move. Learn how to evaluate trades.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#48 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:52 pm

I like Holmes.Sadly, with Him, Grant, Saric, Embiid, Noel, Okafor possibly in the fold next year = There will simply not be enough minutes for all of them.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#49 » by Kobblehead » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:57 pm

You're going to be ignored from here on out in any discussion relating to evaluating prospects or use of statistics. Nothing personal, but it's not worth my time. Merry Christmas.

I can't evaluate prospects or use stats responsibly? Check my post history. What an oblivious statement.

Never have I seen someone construct such an awful opinion and argue it so poorly and then try to flip the tables and act like they are the reasonable one.

I haven't dusted one of these off in a while, but you deserve a big C'MON SON! for your efforts.
76ers
Bench Warmer
And1: 773

Post#50 » by 76ers » Tue Jan 5, 2016 12:51 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/684173901308493824[/tweet]
KingKyrie1
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#51 » by KingKyrie1 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 12:56 am

Richaun is a beast.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,873

Post#52 » by the_process » Tue Jan 5, 2016 5:03 am

IDK, kid keeps playing like this he might hit that Ibaka ceiling he has. And if that happens, you have to make room for him.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#53 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Jan 5, 2016 5:20 am

76ers wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/684173901308493824[/tweet]

Going up after tonight's game.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,993

Post#54 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 7:52 am

Coaches should make him watch loads of Paul Millsapp videos. I think that is his ceiling.
sixersblue
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#55 » by sixersblue » Tue Jan 5, 2016 7:53 am

Sorry, a keeper here, at Sixers.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#56 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 5, 2016 2:15 pm

Now we need to cut Kendall Marshall to sign the gawd Reggie Evans to drill Richaun as much as possible on rebounding. If this dude learns how to rebound, he's a bonafide 2-way starter.
NJ SixerFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 951

Post#57 » by NJ SixerFan » Tue Jan 5, 2016 2:17 pm

I honestly like him more than Grant as a prospect going forward and wouldn't mind him getting more time at the expense of Grant. I know grant has been playing well lately and can be a terror defensively at times but he's not good enough with the ball to take advantage of the bigger player guarding him and not a shooter by any means. Holmes needs minutes on a team with a lot of bigs and someone will have to take the hit for it. I think the sixers should still play Landry to possibly move him around the deadline.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#58 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 3:44 pm

This is not a troll question. This is a very serious question. 2 part question.

Question 1: Who is the better play right now?

Question 2: Who would you rather have and think will be the better player going forward?

And I'm comparing Holmes to Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon and Noah Vonleh. 3 guys who some said the Sixers should have taken instead of Embiid.
MatthewGeigerII
Bench Warmer
And1: 219

Post#59 » by MatthewGeigerII » Tue Jan 5, 2016 3:49 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:I like Holmes.Sadly, with Him, Grant, Saric, Embiid, Noel, Okafor possibly in the fold next year = There will simply not be enough minutes for all of them.

i love holmes but you're right in saying there is going to be a log jam next year with minutes.

would you keep him around or if you could get a Delon Wright type of PG prospect for him... would you make that move?

i see on the trades board Toronto wants a new PF. lol

i like holmes so i'm not sure what i would do at all!
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#60 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jan 5, 2016 3:56 pm

MatthewGeigerII wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:I like Holmes.Sadly, with Him, Grant, Saric, Embiid, Noel, Okafor possibly in the fold next year = There will simply not be enough minutes for all of them.

i love holmes but you're right in saying there is going to be a log jam next year with minutes.

would you keep him around or if you could get a Delon Wright type of PG prospect for him... would you make that move?

i see on the trades board Toronto wants a new PF. lol

i like holmes so i'm not sure what i would do at all!

I personally like Wright, think he can be a decent PG who can play on both ends...that being said, it would all depend on who we plan on keep in the mix next season and if Embiid is healthy.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .

Return to Philadelphia 76ers