The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Re: The Official Fire Doc Rivers Thread 

Post#41 » by TTP » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:01 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:Who would we get if Doc Rivers was fired. Last night Mark Jackson put in the first shot to be considered the next 76ers coach. He kept saying challenge the call challenge the call.

Now some my scoff at Mark Jackson as the head coach and he does come with baggage but have you ever listened to the key championship Warriors players talk about Jackson ? They love him, absolutely love him and they did not even win a title with them, but he got them prepared to win a title. Kerr is a good coach and took them across the finish line. But make no mistake Jackson did a lot of the heavy lifting. Secondly Jackson was able to thrive and do well in NY as a point guard. If the 7ers keep Simmons, Jackson might be able to work wonders with him, without "throwing him under the bus" (Simmons was not really thrown under the bus but..you know what people like to say).

Just a thought.

It's funny, but I was thinking about the same thing while watching the game and come to a completely different conclusion. Jackson to me is a Doc clone - they both played in the same era, and both have underachieved with talented teams due to being stuck in a mindset of how the game was played 20-30 years ago.

The reason Kerr succeeded where Jackson didn't at GS is he had a vision of what that group could accomplish with a more modern approach, one that Jackson would never have had the capability of enacting. Kerr unleashed that group in a way that in many ways revolutionized the game. With Jackson as coach there isn't a chance they become 3-time (should've been 4-time) champs.

The reason why players love Jackson is probably similar to why players love Rivers - both are players' coaches who empathize what these guys have to deal with and know how to work with the multiple egos of a team. The problem is in the X's and O's - neither guy has ever had an original thought, and both are stubbornly stuck in 'their' way of doing things.

Just my opinion, of course.

I am not high on Marc Jackson as an analyst or a coach. Besides the religious stuff that he brings into the locker room that I'm not a fan of, for all of his reputation as a players' coach, there were a lot of reports that he caused a pretty toxic work environment.

Kerr on the other hand, comes in and progressively institutes a fast paced 3 heavy system that (as you said) revolutionized the game. He was not only ahead of the curve, but he (along with others) helped to blaze the trail that every other team in the league would emulate and contributed to unlocking one of the greatest offensive forces the league has ever seen in Curry.

There's definitely value in players coaches, but there's a limit to the amount of tactical blunders a team can tolerate. Also, it doesn't have to be one or the other. There are plenty of coaches out there that are capable of both having good relationships with players and are competent strategists. I don't see why a team with championships aspirations would ever settle for just the former.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,455

Post#42 » by FlyingArrow » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:32 pm

Kova wrote:Can't believe he didn't challenge that call. He literally cost us the game.

He only cost us a shot at winning. I'm pretty sure we still could have lost it.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,711

Post#43 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:03 am

God I hate you Doc.

Read on Twitter
?t=l1GEvg-q5bDesJ2PF0_5BQ&s=19

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#44 » by TTP » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:17 am

eyeatoma wrote:God I hate you Doc.

Read on Twitter

To the surprise of literally no one, except Doc of course and his (possibly made up) challenge fall guy.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#45 » by sixers hoops » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:51 am

TTP wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:God I hate you Doc.

Read on Twitter

To the surprise of literally no one, except Doc of course and his (possibly made up) challenge fall guy.

If I recall correctly, the first one didn’t have much time for doc to get a review. The second was obvious.
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#46 » by Sixercise » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:53 am

#RememberVincentPoirier
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,573

Post#47 » by JimmyPlopper » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:55 am

It's very telling that Embiid and Rivers (the two lower quality individuals who were both responsible for the loss to the Hawks) tried to throw Ben under the bus to deflect from their own accountability.
Tobias, who was also a poor performer has exhibited nothing but class. Tobias is the kind of guy you learn to really appreciate in a situation like this. He has emotional intelligence that is beyond most players. Seems like a terrific person. It's no wonder someone like that ends up getting paid a little bit more than their talent would suggest. because emotional intelligence actually makes a huge impact to the team's performance.
all i see is blinking lights
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#48 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:02 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:It's very telling that Embiid and Rivers (the two lower quality individuals who were both responsible for the loss to the Hawks) tried to throw Ben under the bus to deflect from their own accountability.
Tobias, who was also a poor performer has exhibited nothing but class. Tobias is the kind of guy you learn to really appreciate in a situation like this. He has emotional intelligence that is beyond most players. Seems like a terrific person. It's no wonder someone like that ends up getting paid a little bit more than their talent would suggest. because emotional intelligence actually makes a huge impact to the team's performance.

LOL what? Low quality individual?

So hold on, Jo has done nothing but support Ben all this time, and then finally when someone asks what the turning point is, that makes him a low quality individual? He literally answered a question, and then, he even said he needed to be better?

Who are you anyway? Are you even a sixers fan?
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,573

Post#49 » by JimmyPlopper » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:10 am

eyeatoma wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:It's very telling that Embiid and Rivers (the two lower quality individuals who were both responsible for the loss to the Hawks) tried to throw Ben under the bus to deflect from their own accountability.

So hold on, Jo has done nothing but support Ben all this time, and then finally when someone asks what the turning point is, that makes him a low quality individual? He literally answered a question, and then, he even said he needed to be better?

Who am I? A fan of the NBA. My favorite NBA player of all time is Allen Iverson. The nicest NBA players I have ever met in person were Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Andrew Toney, and Rod Strickland (all but one a Sixer). you can refer to me by my screenname, but I'm pretty easygoing with my name and you can basically call me things that are borderline offensive and I'll respond.

I don't agree with your statement about Jo having done nothing but support Ben all this time. Low quality of character to me is when someone blames someone else for an undesirable outcome. I can tip my cap to my parents in the sense that I was "raised better". If I were Joel Embiid, I would be approaching Ben Simmons first and foremost in an apologetic fashion about not taking my stamina seriously and then asking him how he was dealing with the fans BS about him not shooting. Show him support instead of joining the crowd. It's about leadership in my opinion.
all i see is blinking lights
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#50 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:26 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Who am I? A fan of the NBA. My favorite NBA player of all time is Allen Iverson. The nicest NBA players I have ever met in person were Julius Erving, Moses Malone, Andrew Toney, and Rod Strickland (all but one a Sixer). you can refer to me by my screenname, but I'm pretty easygoing with my name and you can basically call me things that are borderline offensive and I'll respond.

I don't agree with your statement about Jo having done nothing but support Ben all this time. Low quality of character to me is when someone blames someone else for an undesirable outcome. I can tip my cap to my parents in the sense that I was "raised better". If I were Joel Embiid, I would be approaching Ben Simmons first and foremost in an apologetic fashion about not taking my stamina seriously and then asking him how he was dealing with the fans BS about him not shooting. Show him support instead of joining the crowd. It's about leadership in my opinion.

What do you think he did in front of the crowd for game 1? You don't think that was leadership?

During the start of the preseason what did he do? All he was was supportive. Jo changed his game for 3 years (started taking 3s, even though he didn't want to) and adapted for Ben's benefit. How is that low quality character. Joel is a savant in basketball terms. He came from having very little skill to one of the most skilled bigmen of all time. It takes plenty of character to have the resilience to make it in this league after taking up the game at a fairly old age, and having an MVP calibre season.

The only time he lashed out, was when Klutch released a report that Ben didn't want to play with Jo anymore. How is he supposed to react to that? "Oh Ben, please stay, I love you so much, it doesn't matter if you don't want to play with me. Stay anyway." Are you being serious right now? How much does Jo need to sensor himself just to coddle, poor, fragile, Ben Simmons.

How about Ben's character? Being coddled every minute. Refusing to change shooting hands? Having insecurities about Jimmy being on the team? Having issues with taking 1 three a quarter? Teasing the fans every pre-game warmup for 3 years by shooting threes? His smug attitude in front of the media when they ask him what he can improve in, and he says, that he doesn't need to improve shooting? Joel adapted his game, but Ben can't adapt for Jo? Is that a high quality/high character guy to you?

Please....

I don't agree with your statement about Jo having done nothing but support Ben all this time. Low quality of character to me is when someone blames someone else for an undesirable outcome.

Please, don't waste your time talking about how you were raised. You have no idea about this man's life. If you are assassinating Joel's character and about how he was raised, I'd love to see you defend how Ben was raised and what his current attitude says about his upbringing. I doubt most parents would be happy with their child reneging on their contract of 4 years, because an organization challenged them to be better.

Joel Embiid, I would be approaching Ben Simmons first and foremost in an apologetic fashion about not taking my stamina seriously and then asking him how he was dealing with the fans BS about him not shooting. Show him support instead of joining the crowd. It's about leadership in my opinion.

This sounds like satire at this point. You mean the other way around right? There has been no BS about not shooting. The dude is scared to shoot, and it culminated in the worst ever FT percentage in a playoff series and the refusal to do the one thing he was good at, dunk. At what was his response during the press conference? "I am who I am".

How about looking at yourself in the mirror, and admitting that you stole a boatload of money from an organization that trusted that you were going to better your game, and justify the ridiculous investment they made in you. If Joel Embiid doesn't play one more game, he will be more worth than Ben Simmons ever will. If speaking the truth is that offensive in a league where players trash talk all the time, then you're just not cut out for it. You think AI wouldn't speak his mind if he thought it was necessary? You think MJ wouldn't? MJ would humiliate his teammates in practice. He fought with his own teammates in games, because he demanded better. Get the hell out of here with Jo needing to apologize.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,466

Post#51 » by KL78192020 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:26 am

eyeatoma wrote:

Howard and Davis almost swung at each other last night lol imagine that was Embiid and Simmons. The squashed their beef at half time.

Embiid made one small comment after a tough game 7 loss, jesus get over it. People make it sound like Embiid killed his kids or something.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,887

Post#52 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:35 pm

114.9 ORtg best in the league, despite not having the team’s all NBA PG while Embiid having his second lowest scoring average.

2020-2021 +5.5 NetRtg
2021-2022 +8.5 NetRtg

For context on out ORtg

Average NBA offensive rating for 2020-21: 112.9

Average NBA Ortg so far in 2021-22: 106.7
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,059

Post#53 » by Stanford » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:36 pm

76ciology wrote:114.9 ORtg best in the league, despite not having the team’s all NBA PG while Embiid having his second lowest scoring average.

Bizarre, lol
76ciology
RealGM

Post#54 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:40 pm

Stanford wrote:
76ciology wrote:114.9 ORtg best in the league, despite not having the team’s all NBA PG while Embiid having his second lowest scoring average.

Bizarre, lol

Slowest in the league in pace.

Pick and roll offense is very improved, 6th in pts scorer in PnR off the ballhandler. And that’s while running it with mediocre guards like maxey and korkmaz (2nd highest). Imagine how good we can be with a guy like Dame.

Maxey highest on PnR ballhandler scoring
Read on Twitter

Its action like this where Biid’s man is glued to Biid that a simple screen creates a separation for Maxey that is enough for him to get to the rim

Kork is second on PnR ballhandler scoring

Kork runs PnR with Drummond with 3 other guys spacing the floor. Kork as a PnR ballhandler and back-up PG was a smart move that nobody saw it coming.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#55 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:09 pm

Its still early ok? Maybe i’ll also be calling for Doc to be fired somewhere down the road. But give credit where its due. Doc has done a good job getting this team play this good as of right now
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,625

Post#56 » by Iverson Armband » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:33 pm

Agreed.
always a jump shot away.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#57 » by 76ciology » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:51 am

Doc is known for game 7 blunders.

..but also for these “heart and hustle” magic and Tobias led Clippers squad where he’d have underdogs plays bigger than what they are.

Seth is having his career year. Sure.. he’s just playing JJ’s role. But look at this game against the Blazers where he’s playing like Steph Curry-lite. Doc knows and is known to bring the best out of players and he has made a career out of it.

There’s a lot of things you need from a coach. And bringing out the best in players has to be on top of the hierarchy.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,468

Post#58 » by Murray_17 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 3:56 am

76ciology wrote:Doc is known for game 7 blunders.

..but also for these “heart and hustle” magic and Tobias led Clippers squad where he’d have underdogs plays bigger than what they are.

Seth is having his career year. Sure.. he’s just playing JJ’s role. But look at this game against the Blazers where he’s playing like Steph Curry-lite. Doc knows and is known to bring the best out of players and he has made a career out of it.

There’s a lot of things you need from a coach. And bringing out the best in players has to be on top of the hierarchy.

Oh come on :lol: :lol:
76ciology
RealGM

Post#59 » by 76ciology » Tue Nov 2, 2021 4:01 am

Murray_17 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Doc is known for game 7 blunders.

Oh come on :lol: :lol:

My point is.. seth doesnt need Embiid nor Ben to be good (play JJ’s role).
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,468

Post#60 » by Murray_17 » Tue Nov 2, 2021 4:16 am

76ciology wrote:
My point is.. seth doesnt need Embiid nor Ben to be good (play JJ’s role).

JJ's usage and scoring was the best of his career by playing off Embiid, by the same token Seth shots worse from 3 without Embiid out there and it's notoriously worse.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/seth-curry-with-and-without-embiid-in-76ers

Seth is amazing, but he has an slow as **** release so he needs to play off screens or be open to take 3's. Today he penetrated at will and took open midrange shots because the Blazers defense sucks.

Saying He is good by himself is just delusional, i love Curry but there is a reason he's on a bargain contract.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers