** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 956

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#401 » by zaz102 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:07 pm

sixers4real wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I don't think Markkanen is a guy you give everything up for. He's not Luka Doncic. Giving up 5 firsts for him would be pretty crazy. I think Klay is pretty washed up too. Unfortunately, not a ton of great options. Of course the summer the Sixers have cap space is a weak free agent class with not a ton of stars available.

It’s just a matter of time stars become available.
Always.

Morey is full aware of that. I sure his plan is no just go all in on PG. it’s Elon Brand way of thinking.
I was thinking a big part of Markkanen's value is his current contract size.

Without him, your probably paying 5 players about $70M. And then your probably trading your two best of those players (around $40M) for the superstar. This leaves you with the Superstar, + three OK role players + 1 minimum player.

With Markkanen, you can still keep those two better players and have $10M for 2 more players. Leaving you with Lauri + 2 elite role players + 2 OK players.

Obviously depends on which superstar we're talking about.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,596

Post#402 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 6:21 pm

sixers hoops wrote:The good organizations like Miami and Boston keep those guys for their primes, then let the bad organizations like the Nets and Bulls desperately overpay for their declining years, in hopes that they don’t decline.

Great post overall, but this is the money quote, no pun intended.
"No mound of parchment can be formed so as to stand against the sweeping torrent of boundless ambition on the one side, aided by the sapping current of corrupted morals on the other" - George Washington
sixers4real
Analyst
And1: 2,006

Post#403 » by sixers4real » Sat May 4, 2024 7:04 pm

Guys, do you know when is the exit interview?
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 8,184

Post#404 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Brings up NY unprompted.

Read on Twitter
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,256

Post#405 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 7:14 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Im wondering if Morey wants to just do PG and Miles Bridges, then fill out the roster with vet min and draft picks.

We don’t have anywhere near enough cap for both. It’s one or the other.

I think PG sucking in the playoffs and Bridges having his obvious issues, both will come in cheaper than expected. Also the list of teams competing for PG will be like 3-4 teams because he wants to win one.

Ideally, we get him for less than the full max. Maybe three years at closer to $45 million per would be possible. You have to think he plays at a high level for another year or two, but four years is a lot.

I wonder who the suitors will be. I assume Clips. Rumors of us and Magic.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 956

Post#406 » by zaz102 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:15 pm

sixers4real wrote:Guys, do you know when is the exit interview?
Here's footage from Tobi's

ttps://youtu.be/96ix3P9WaRc?feature=shared
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,648

Post#407 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 7:16 pm

Issue with Jimmy would be spacing IMO. Say we got lucky and he only costs two 1sts. Then we’d have $15 mil cap space + $8 mil room exception to get 3 more serviceable role players. Lowry and Drummond for vet mins. If we’re extra lucky we could bring back Batum for the vet min.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Hield
Butler/Council
(MLE)/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

MLE would need to be a good shooter and rebounder.
2024-2025 Philadelphia 76ers:

Maxey/Lowry/Jackson
Martin/Gordon/McCain
Oubre/Council/Martin
George/Yabusele
Embiid/Drummond/Bona
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,073

Post#408 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 7:47 pm

stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Brings up NY unprompted.

Read on Twitter

Probably implying the Heat would have beat the Sixers in the play in and went on to face the Knicks. And honestly, if so, he's right. The Sixers needed a miracle to win that game. Should've been a sign the team didn't have a playoff run in then. They should have spanked the Heat.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,596

Post#409 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 7:49 pm

stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

Somewhat related ....

https://www.libertyballers.com/2024/5/4/24148828/2024-nba-playoffs-sixers-knicks-josh-hart-tobias-harris-joel-embiid-tyrese-maxey

His (Tobias) work suffered in comparison to that of Hart, who made one winning play after another. In fact, it is not much of a stretch to say that if the two of them had somehow switched teams, it would be the Sixers who would be advancing to face Indiana, not the Knicks.
"No mound of parchment can be formed so as to stand against the sweeping torrent of boundless ambition on the one side, aided by the sapping current of corrupted morals on the other" - George Washington
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,073

Post#410 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 7:51 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Issue with Jimmy would be spacing IMO. Say we got lucky and he only costs two 1sts. Then we’d have $15 mil cap space + $8 mil room exception to get 3 more serviceable role players. Lowry and Drummond for vet mins. If we’re extra lucky we could bring back Batum for the vet min.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Hield
Butler/Council
(MLE)/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

I'm not sure bringing back Melton is the best idea. Back injuries are very tricky. I've seen players get them and battle them for the rest of their careers. I wouldn't give him more than anything but a very low salary contract. Too risky to sign guys with back issues. If they go the big splash route, their depth will be limited as it is. Cannot afford one key contributor not playing. I'd rather swap him out for a guy like Monk or Lonnie Walker.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,646

Post#411 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 7:55 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Im wondering if Morey wants to just do PG and Miles Bridges, then fill out the roster with vet min and draft picks.

What are you projecting for Miles? I assumed he was still a guy most of the league would avoid.

$25-30m per year. We only have about $13m if we MAX out PG.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,559

Post#412 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 4, 2024 7:56 pm

Seems like wishful thinking. Butler's player option isn't until Summer 2025-2026. We missed our opportunity to have a longterm relationship with Jimmy.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,244

Post#413 » by Sixerscan » Sat May 4, 2024 7:57 pm

Arsenal wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

What are you projecting for Miles? I assumed he was still a guy most of the league would avoid.

$25-30m per year. We only have about $13m if we MAX out PG.

I will be absolutely shocked if he gets close to that

That said it wouldn’t be the first time in free agency that I’ve been absolutely shocked
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 553

Post#414 » by PhillyFan11 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:07 pm

May have been talked about already…but what are expectations on the cost of keeping Oubre and Melton? Two hard guys to judge because Oubre had to settle for the min and Melton was hurt for basically the entire year.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#415 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 8:18 pm

FireMorey wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Issue with Jimmy would be spacing IMO. Say we got lucky and he only costs two 1sts. Then we’d have $15 mil cap space + $8 mil room exception to get 3 more serviceable role players. Lowry and Drummond for vet mins. If we’re extra lucky we could bring back Batum for the vet min.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Hield
Butler/Council
(MLE)/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

I'm not sure bringing back Melton is the best idea. Back injuries are very tricky. I've seen players get them and battle them for the rest of their careers. I wouldn't give him more than anything but a very low salary contract. Too risky to sign guys with back issues. If they go the big splash route, their depth will be limited as it is. Cannot afford one key contributor not playing. I'd rather swap him out for a guy like Monk or Lonnie Walker.

Agree, it’s tricky. I think he’d be the cheapest to keep out of everyone sans Lowry/Batum. We’re going to have to budget if we go the route of $50 mil max player this summer.

Monk is going to cost quite a bit but I love his game. I think we’d only have the room exception left if we went for Monk.

But yea, Jimmy would tough to add to with the contract, lack of shooting, and picks we’d have to surrender for him.

Maxey/Lowry/Jackson
Martin/Gordon/McCain
Oubre/Council/Martin
George/Yabusele
Embiid/Drummond/Bona
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#416 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 8:30 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:May have been talked about already…but what are expectations on the cost of keeping Oubre and Melton? Two hard guys to judge because Oubre had to settle for the min and Melton was hurt for basically the entire year.

8-13M annually would be my guess. I think it's possible one of the two ends up back here via the room exception after we use up the cap (and maybe one gets some of that remaining cap)
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#417 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 8:41 pm

Lebron, Jimmy and Durant would be the most extreme needle movers of possible outcomes IMO, but the odds of landing any them feel pretty slim.

George, Lauri and Mikal fall into the next bucket down of really good outcomes.

Ingram or Dejounte would require some major mental gymnastics for me to get on board with, but I'm sure I'd get there.

DeRozan or Klay plus another guy around feels like a really low end outcome. Klay in particular feels like a guy I could see Morey overvaluing. Danny Green on steroids! (mostly to keep those joints from swelling)
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#418 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 8:44 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:May have been talked about already…but what are expectations on the cost of keeping Oubre and Melton? Two hard guys to judge because Oubre had to settle for the min and Melton was hurt for basically the entire year.

I think Melton would stay for like a 1-year $5 mil prove it deal. We’d have his bird rights so could reward him next summer if he recovers and plays well.

Oubre I think is room exception ($8 mil) material. Hield could fall into this range too imo.

Maxey/Lowry/Jackson
Martin/Gordon/McCain
Oubre/Council/Martin
George/Yabusele
Embiid/Drummond/Bona
stormi
General Manager
And1: 8,184

Post#419 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 9:02 pm

Malcolm Brogdon another one of those acquirable tertiary pieces stuck on a carousel team.

6'4/6'5 combo guard with passing, (elite) shooting, dribbling chops.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 579

Post#420 » by PhillyNj » Sat May 4, 2024 9:05 pm

Hield at 8 mil. OMG. No!
Hield is a vet min. Guy. No more.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers