TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 34,352

Re: Sixers new HC search thread 

Post#561 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:03 pm

fl311 wrote:
Stanford wrote:
fl311 wrote:
The Podcast with Spike and those guys? If so, nope. I was a big Hinkie fan but they are a little too over the top for me

I ask because recently they've emphasized criticism of Scott O'Neil specifically, linking him to personnel decisions. I was wondering if you had a take on the extent to which he has an effect on Josh Harris.

Scott O’Neil has been an issue for years and has the ear of Harris but make no mistake about it, Harris is the problem.

Yep that sounds like Scott O’Neil alright(I’m a Knicks fan)
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#562 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:03 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote: logic suggests Jackson, Kerr, Riley, Spol, Nurse and Carlise should be judged that way too considering every single one of them won titles with one or more stars on their roster.

still drives me nuts that Brand put together a starting line-up last year that got everybody's attention, but came up short and somehow ownership/FO came up with the brilliant notion that the solution was...get rid of the guy who put a jolt in this franchise and knew how to close games, and keep the coach who struggled for years coming up with a coherent scheme, while getting outcoached by just about everybody? how nuts was that?

i mean i feel like this team is already improved just because we finally made the most obvious change an underperforming team can make. now let's admit that not everybody can win a title no matter how much all star level talent you give them. some guys never figure it out. but there are other guys who can step right in and make a dysfunctional roster run on all cylinders. finding the right guy is a challenge. but its the right challenge to focus on now, instead of making any more stupid roster moves we're likely to regret.

The worst part is that with Ben healthy we still might make the finals this year with this ass backwards team

Exactly..folks love to talk as if this very same roster wasn't historically good at home and beat all the comtenders with ease at fargo. Simmons being out is like taking Davis, Tatum, Murray, Butler etc off of their respective teams..none of those teams would be in the conference finals today.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#563 » by fl311 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:15 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:
still drives me nuts that Brand put together a starting line-up last year that got everybody's attention, but came up short and somehow ownership/FO came up with the brilliant notion that the solution was...get rid of the guy who put a jolt in this franchise and knew how to close games, and keep the coach who struggled for years coming up with a coherent scheme, while getting outcoached by just about everybody? how nuts was that?

i mean i feel like this team is already improved just because we finally made the most obvious change an underperforming team can make. now let's admit that not everybody can win a title no matter how much all star level talent you give them. some guys never figure it out. but there are other guys who can step right in and make a dysfunctional roster run on all cylinders. finding the right guy is a challenge. but its the right challenge to focus on now, instead of making any more stupid roster moves we're likely to regret.

The worst part is that with Ben healthy we still might make the finals this year with this ass backwards team

Exactly..folks love to talk as if this very same roster wasn't historically good at home and beat all the comtenders with ease at fargo. Simmons being out is like taking Davis, Tatum, Murray, Butler etc off of their respective teams..none of those teams would be in the conference finals today.

No, it’s not
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,081

Post#564 » by Sixerscan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:24 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
So potentially getting a young CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING COACH who has been to THREE FINALS would not be an upgrade on what we had before? What is your definition of an upgrade exactly?

Well rzzz mentioned Eric spolestra or Brad Stevens those are two.

Blatt made a final and took two games off the warriors without love or Irving don’t see anyone knocking down his door. Like I said vogul might win one not sure if he’s suddenly a much better coach than he was when the magic fired him. How many times has mike brown gotten fired without lebron at this point? It’s good to coach the King.

Brad Stevens, despite having tons of talent to work with and a very good gm, has achieved nothing thus far. Blatt didn't win a finals...Lue did. Also Vogul doesn't just have Lebron..he has a guy named Anthony Davis too. And when people undermine Ty for winning with Lebron..then that logic suggests Jackson, Kerr, Riley, Spol, Nurse and Carlise should be judged that way too considering every single one of them won titles with one or more stars on their roster.

I'm not even judging them based off of whether they won rings. Spolestra the year we beat them in the first round and even the year before where they didn't make the playoffs did an absolutely incredible job with no stars.

You watch teams like Toronto, Boston and Miami and they're so incredibly organized and prepared, it's even more obvious at a game live. Those Cavs teams were comparatively messes except when Lebron decided to turn it on. The last two Lebron seasons they were bottom 10 defensively, the last year they 29th, woof. This is the guy that's gonna bring accountability and challenge our stars? Why couldn't he challenge the Cavs to bother playing defense for 6 months?

I think Lue is a fine NBA caliber coach, better than some of the other guys Lebron carried (there's a reason no one is talking about hiring David Blatt or Mike Brown), and I don't think we'd be entering into another Eddie Jordan situation or something, but acting like he's some sort of all star coach because he won 2 more games than David Blatt did the year before without Kyrie or Love (and who knows what happens if Draymond doesn't get suspended) isn't doing it for me.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,186

Post#565 » by Negrodamus » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:30 pm

A real organization would be able to find the Nick Nurses of the world or would pull a fast one and hire someone exciting like Tim Duncan. Obviously those options aren't on the table.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#566 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:04 am

Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:Well rzzz mentioned Eric spolestra or Brad Stevens those are two.

Blatt made a final and took two games off the warriors without love or Irving don’t see anyone knocking down his door. Like I said vogul might win one not sure if he’s suddenly a much better coach than he was when the magic fired him. How many times has mike brown gotten fired without lebron at this point? It’s good to coach the King.

Brad Stevens, despite having tons of talent to work with and a very good gm, has achieved nothing thus far. Blatt didn't win a finals...Lue did. Also Vogul doesn't just have Lebron..he has a guy named Anthony Davis too. And when people undermine Ty for winning with Lebron..then that logic suggests Jackson, Kerr, Riley, Spol, Nurse and Carlise should be judged that way too considering every single one of them won titles with one or more stars on their roster.

I'm not even judging them based off of whether they won rings. Spolestra the year we beat them in the first round and even the year before where they didn't make the playoffs did an absolutely incredible job with no stars.

You watch teams like Toronto, Boston and Miami and they're so incredibly organized and prepared, it's even more obvious at a game live. Those Cavs teams were comparatively messes except when Lebron decided to turn it on. The last two Lebron seasons they were bottom 10 defensively, the last year they 29th, woof. This is the guy that's gonna bring accountability and challenge our stars? Why couldn't he challenge the Cavs to bother playing defense for 6 months?

I think Lue is a fine NBA caliber coach, better than some of the other guys Lebron carried (there's a reason no one is talking about hiring David Blatt or Mike Brown), and I don't think we'd be entering into another Eddie Jordan situation or something, but acting like he's some sort of all star coach because he won 2 more games than David Blatt did the year before without Kyrie or Love (and who knows what happens if Draymond doesn't get suspended) isn't doing it for me.

So you'd rather have a coach who has a great defense in the regular season but gets dumped out in the second round or conference finals consistently like MDA, Bud or Stevens? Is that really what you're saying? Also again Blatt didn't get the job done..Lue did. And if you insist that everything was about Lebron then you're also downplaying other coaches who won titles with stars unless your notion is only reserved for Lue only? Jackson had pippin and jordan..then shaq and kobe..therefore he was not a great coach right? And Riley with Magic and co? And Kerr with Steph, kd.. Pop with Duncan?? I just want to know that you're consistent across the board.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#567 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:02 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

So you'd rather have a coach who has a great defense in the regular season but gets dumped out in the second round or conference finals consistently like MDA, Bud or Stevens? Is that really what you're saying? Also again Blatt didn't get the job done..Lue did. And if you insist that everything was about Lebron then you're also downplaying other coaches who won titles with stars unless your notion is only reserved for Lue only? Jackson had pippin and jordan..then shaq and kobe..therefore he was not a great coach right? And Riley with Magic and co? And Kerr with Steph, kd.. Pop with Duncan?? I just want to know that you're consistent across the board.

I said D'Antoni would also be a meh hire.

Already told you I'm not basing it on rangs.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#568 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:22 am

Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

You did mention Brad Stevens though :D ..and if it's not about rings then what it is about? I could understand if Lue had gone to another two teams and stunk...but he's not even had another chance yet.. unless folks are judging him on those six games he had last season? If so then i guess we've got to judge Steve Kerr on what he did last season too.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#569 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:06 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

You did mention Brad Stevens though :D ..and if it's not about rings then what it is about? I could understand if Lue had gone to another two teams and stunk...but he's not even had another chance yet.. unless folks are judging him on those six games he had last season? If so then i guess we've got to judge Steve Kerr on what he did last season too.

Kerr's team this year was pretty organized and put together they were just bad. There's reason why guys like Burks and GR3 put together reasonably efficient seasons over there. Kerr is pretty good btw but I'd put him a little behind Spo or Stevens at this point, too much Disney Land as you've said. The post-lebron Lue team was like herding kittens, actually so was the Lebron team the last few years before Lebron turned it on. They weren't well coached they just had the best player.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#570 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:46 am

Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Kerr's team this year was pretty organized and put together they were just bad. There's reason why guys like Burks and GR3 put together reasonably efficient seasons over there. Kerr is pretty good btw but I'd put him a little behind Spo or Stevens at this point, too much Disney Land as you've said. The post-lebron Lue team was like herding kittens, actually so was the Lebron team the last few years before Lebron turned it on. They weren't well coached they just had the best player.

If Kerr was so organised how do you explain the warriors losing several games even when they had steph, d-lo and green on the court? You've also mentioned Stevens again so you were more impressed with his organizational skills than Lue's ability to adapt when Boston had a 2-0 lead, Plus home court advantage when all Lue had was Lebron and a bunch of jags in the 2018 conference finals? Or was the game seven win in Brad's own building just all Lebron again and Lue deserves no credit?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#571 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:05 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

If Kerr was so organised how do you explain the warriors losing several games even when they had steph, d-lo and green on the court? You've also mentioned Stevens again so you were more impressed with his organitional skills than Lue's ability to adapt when Boston had a 2-0 lead, Plus home court advantage when all Lue had was Lebron and a bunch of jags in the 2018 conference finals? Or was the game seven win in Brad's owm building just all Lebron again and Lue deserves no credit?

Jags includes Lebron's head coach in this case.

I've explained the coaching points several times, your turn to actually explain some sort of coaching aspect that Lue exceptionally good at and not just say "well Lebron carried every other person in the entire organization besides the guy I happen to like"
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#572 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:21 am

Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

If Kerr was so organised how do you explain the warriors losing several games even when they had steph, d-lo and green on the court? You've also mentioned Stevens again so you were more impressed with his organitional skills than Lue's ability to adapt when Boston had a 2-0 lead, Plus home court advantage when all Lue had was Lebron and a bunch of jags in the 2018 conference finals? Or was the game seven win in Brad's owm building just all Lebron again and Lue deserves no credit?

I've explained the coaching points several times, your turn to actually explain some sort of coaching aspect that Lue exceptionally good at and not just say "well Lebron carried every other person in the entire organization besides the guy I happen to like"

What have you explained? Brad and Kerr's organizational skills and Spol doing a few different things so what else? I look at results, personnel and the situations coaches excelled in. Lue went head to head with your guy Brad Stevens and quite frankly had his number both in the regular season and in the playoffs...and if you want to suggest that Brad is still better than Lue because Lue had Lebron...then by that Logic Brad is better than Spol and Pop seeing as they too won titles with legendary players on their rosters.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#573 » by Sixerscan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:27 am

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

What have you explained? Brad and Kerr's organizational skills and Spol doing a few different things so what else? I look at results, personnel and the situations coaches excelled in. Lue went head to head with your guy Brad Stevens and quite frankly had his number both in the regular season and in the playoffs...and if you want to suggest that Brad is still better than Lue because Lue had Lebron...then by that Logic Brad is better than Spol and Pop seeing as they too won titles with legendary players on their rosters.

"My guy Brad Stevens" lol I'm done. Anyone else wants to discuss this lmk.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,908

Post#574 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:52 am

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,908

Post#575 » by 76ciology » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:53 am

A good organization can easily steal Spo or Brad Stevens in the middle of a 7 game series.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer

Post#576 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:29 am

Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

"My guy Brad Stevens" lol I'm done. Anyone else wants to discuss this lmk.

Lol if that's the excuse you want to make in order to run away from the debate then that's fine my friend :D .
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#577 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:04 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:

Pop won 5 titles with multiple different rosters across a 15 year span.

Pop also went out and signed Avery Johnson as his first move as GM. And he also drafted Tim Duncan, who was a Center, knowing full well he would ask Duncan to play PF in the NBA.

His first title was with the twin towers and a roster he built before taking over to coach it.

Then, he worked with RC Buford to scout and eventually draft Tony Parker 28th overall, and in his 2nd year as a 20 year old PG, Pop trusted him enough to start him every game and play him 34 minutes per game.

He also, by the way, scouted and drafted Manu something like 57th overall? And brought him over to the US 3 years later to come off the bench, which he then increased Manu's minutes to where he was a rotational player and was key to the Spurs winning a 2nd title.

He also went out after Robert Horry was awful for the Lakers, missing every shot he took it seemed, and signed Horry that very offseason, and simply played him fewer minutes which ended up unlocking Horry for when they needed him to help win their 3rd title.

I could go on and on but for the sake of time and everyone reading this far, I'll stop.

My point is, Pop's name should not be in this conversation because he's on a different planet than all these other coaches.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
SwingOnThis
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#578 » by SwingOnThis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:13 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm really glad that the coaching search comes down to which guy takes less money. That's how champions are made.
fl311
Senior
And1: 1,182

Post#579 » by fl311 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 pm

We’ll see who has better sources. I have not heard anything about this being over contract lengths. It’s not like Lue has other option out there.

From what I know, this is an internal battle between two sides that want different people
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#580 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:35 pm

fl311 wrote:We’ll see who has better sources. I have not heard anything about this being over contract lengths. It’s not like Lue has other option out there.

From what I know, this is an internal battle between two sides that want different people
If anything, Brian's source is someone from the Harris side of things looking to ease the blowback when Harris wins and Lue is not picked.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers