ImageImageImage

How many games will PHI win this season?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

How many games will PHI win this season?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 am

60 or more
6%
55-59
No votes
50-54
No votes
45-49
No votes
40-44
6%
35-39
2%
30-34
13%
25-29
40%
20-24
26%
Less than 20
6%

Total votes: 62

hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Re: How many games will PHI win this season? 

Post#61 » by hookshot199 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 2:13 am

ImChillin01 wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:You're on crack if you think that's happening

I think 32 is possible, 28-30 likely. Remember, we didn't have Carter-Williams and Covington for the first 10-plus games. And then the next 10 games Carter-Williams played poorly. He never really came back from his pre-season injury.

You also may remember that there was a stretch last year, when the Raptors were without Lowry, that you played around .333 ball.

If you prorate Philly's win-loss record after the first 17 games, they would have won 22 games. Add five to that by adding a center (rookie or not), theoretically improved Noel, a shooter at two…and the point is still a problem. But that puts you at 27. So, 28-30 is my prediction.

There will be another losing streak. Team has improved but lets be serious its still bottom two team in the East. That isnt going to win 30 games. 30 wins = 12th in East, I dont see 76ers being better than 3 teams in East.

We can agree to disagree. Fact is, they won around 27% of their games after the first 17; 27% is 22 wins. The Sixers have better personnel this year than last. So do other teams in the East. Carmelo will be back. So will Bosh. Etc., etc. Unless we have a key front court injury, we're not going to be terrible. And our second team is going to wear older teams in the second half. If you watched them last year, the model's already in place.
TrustTheProcess
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#62 » by TrustTheProcess » Mon Aug 3, 2015 2:20 am

hookshot199 wrote:
ImChillin01 wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
I think 32 is possible, 28-30 likely. Remember, we didn't have Carter-Williams and Covington for the first 10-plus games. And then the next 10 games Carter-Williams played poorly. He never really came back from his pre-season injury.

You also may remember that there was a stretch last year, when the Raptors were without Lowry, that you played around .333 ball.

If you prorate Philly's win-loss record after the first 17 games, they would have won 22 games. Add five to that by adding a center (rookie or not), theoretically improved Noel, a shooter at two…and the point is still a problem. But that puts you at 27. So, 28-30 is my prediction.

There will be another losing streak. Team has improved but lets be serious its still bottom two team in the East. That isnt going to win 30 games. 30 wins = 12th in East, I dont see 76ers being better than 3 teams in East.

We can agree to disagree. Fact is, they won around 27% of their games after the first 17; 27% is 22 wins. The Sixers have better personnel this year than last. So do other teams in the East. Carmelo will be back. So will Bosh. Etc., etc. Unless we have a key front court injury, we're not going to be terrible. And our second team is going to wear older teams in the second half. If you watched them last year, the model's already in place.

I really think Brett Brown will get the most out of these guys, just like he did last year. If we can win 20 games without a single skilled offensive player on the roster (barring Covington i suppose), I think we will have a good deal of success adding a post presence like Jah and a bunch of shooters.. Not saying winning 30 games is likely, but very realistic if things begin to click somewhat offensively and they can maintain a top 15 defense from last year.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,084

Post#63 » by Mik317 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 2:33 am

we won't keep that defense tho.

Luc was a big part of it IIRC as in the games he was out, things fell apart. Also assuming Stauskas starts..that would be 3 awful defenders in him, whoever starts at PG, and Jah. Plus Noel IMO isn't as effective defensively at the 4 right now...

I can see a fall off.

HOWEVA, having two tall dudes down low, even with Jah's lack of awareness should also have some benefit..I also suspect Hollis will start at the beginning of the year if only to give us some type of perimeter defender.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ers 2020
Senior
And1: 341

Post#64 » by 76ers 2020 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:40 am

hookshot199 wrote:We can agree to disagree. Fact is, they won around 27% of their games after the first 17; 27% is 22 wins. The Sixers have better personnel this year than last. So do other teams in the East. Carmelo will be back. So will Bosh. Etc., etc. Unless we have a key front court injury, we're not going to be terrible. And our second team is going to wear older teams in the second half. If you watched them last year, the model's already in place.

The problem with looking at the their win percentage without the losing streak is that the team got slightly worse after the MCW and McDaniels trade. Team had a higher winning percentage the first 53 games even when you count the losing streak. First 53 games 12-41 .226, post trade 6-23 .207. MCW missed games as well while here. Total the team was 11-31 when he played so total the team had a .355 winning percentage with MCW and .175 with out him. I watched them last year and the team was winning by wearing teams down. Problem is our defensive strength on the perimeter while that was happening is diminished. On top of that Noel will be away from the rim more often.

hookshot199
Analyst

Post#65 » by hookshot199 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:14 pm

Image[/quote
76ers 2020 wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:We can agree to disagree. Fact is, they won around 27% of their games after the first 17; 27% is 22 wins. The Sixers have better personnel this year than last. So do other teams in the East. Carmelo will be back. So will Bosh. Etc., etc. Unless we have a key front court injury, we're not going to be terrible. And our second team is going to wear older teams in the second half. If you watched them last year, the model's already in place.

The problem with looking at the their win percentage without the losing streak is that the team got slightly worse after the MCW and McDaniels trade. Team had a higher winning percentage the first 53 games even when you count the losing streak. First 53 games 12-41 .226, post trade 6-23 .207. MCW missed games as well while here. Total the team was 11-31 when he played so total the team had a .355 winning percentage with MCW and .175 with out him. I watched them last year and the team was winning by wearing teams down. Problem is our defensive strength on the perimeter while that was happening is diminished. On top of that Noel will be away from the rim more often.

Yes, but in that period if you recall, we were suiting up two rent-a-players for several games (Tim Frazier and Larry Drew II), playing Jakaar as backup point, before finally settling on two career backups (Canaan-ball and Ish Smith).

If any of the Hinkie haters want evidence of a tank last year, it would be in his failure to sign a veteran point at the beginning of the season when Carter-Williams was down and then spent his first 5-10 games back trying to play himself into shape. Then he went down again in early February before Hinkie brought in Canaan-ball and Ish.

I don't know where one would split the period when Carter-Williams had recovered to some sort of playing form, but for the sake of argument let's say our 20th game, his 10th or 11th game. He played a total of 41 for us. Which means we had our starting point guard (imperfect as he may be) for around 30 games. During that period, we playing .300 ball if I recall.

And this was around the time Noel started playing like Rookie of the Year.

As for KJ, his departure gave minutes to Grant who, overall, is a better player. Trading him was a case of addition by subtraction in my opinion. And Jakaar's a beast on D. But time will tell.

But just as a frame of reference: If we were to say Game 1 of our season was Dec. 10, following our second win in three nights, we won nine of our next 30 games, when Carter-Williams went down a second time. That's .300 ball.

Prorated over an 82-game season, that would have been 25 wins. That's without a center, a shooter at two (even if Stauskas is off the bench), and effectively no starting point guard for 50 games (we still don't have a starting point).

BTW: Frazier and Drew-II played in a combined 18 games.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#66 » by dalton749 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:06 pm

I cant see you guys getting any better than last year, somebody has to suck and youre way out in front
the only teams in the east who got worse are atlanta, washington, and brooklyn with only brooklyn being out of the playoff race.
newyork, orlando, detroit and charlotte have all improved their rosters more than phillys
out west offers no better chance to win games either
you will be the underdog in every game played this year, 20 wins should be an accomplishment
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#67 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:11 pm

dalton749 wrote:I cant see you guys getting any better than last year, somebody has to suck and youre way out in front
the only teams in the east who got worse are atlanta, washington, and brooklyn with only brooklyn being out of the playoff race.
newyork, orlando, detroit and charlotte have all improved their rosters more than phillys
you will be the underdog in every game played this year, 20 wins should be an accomplishment

Lol, this has been said before and a team or teams still fall ass backwards into sucking more than us. Despite the tumult, Brett Brown is actually a respectable coach and our cast of misfits play for him.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
sixerkitty
Banned User
And1: 32

Post#68 » by sixerkitty » Tue Aug 4, 2015 12:29 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:
dalton749 wrote:I cant see you guys getting any better than last year, somebody has to suck and youre way out in front

Lol, this has been said before and a team or teams still fall ass backwards into sucking more than us. Despite the tumult, Brett Brown is actually a respectable coach and our cast of misfits play for him.

Yeah. You tell him Corey. I mean, hasn't this guy ever heard of the " Pittsburgh Pisces " ? :lol:

manlisten
Junior
And1: 316

Post#69 » by manlisten » Wed Aug 5, 2015 1:26 am

The Sixers will be one of the worst teams in the league because that's what Hinkie wants. Isn't his whole philosophy based on having a top 3 pick? The Lakers pick is top 3 protected so there's that. If the team shows too much competency he will do what he has to in order to make it dysfunctional enough to secure top 3 draft position and figure out the rest later.
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#70 » by hookshot199 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 1:28 am

manlisten wrote:The Sixers will be one of the worst teams in the league because that's what Hinkie wants. Isn't his whole philosophy based on having a top 3 pick? The Lakers pick is top 3 protected so there's that. If the team shows too much competency he will do what he has to in order to make it dysfunctional enough to secure top 3 draft position and figure out the rest later.

Why?
hookshot199
Analyst

Post#71 » by hookshot199 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 1:41 am

hookshot199 wrote:
manlisten wrote:The Sixers will be one of the worst teams in the league because that's what Hinkie wants. Isn't his whole philosophy based on having a top 3 pick? The Lakers pick is top 3 protected so there's that. If the team shows too much competency he will do what he has to in order to make it dysfunctional enough to secure top 3 draft position and figure out the rest later.

Why? What you've said isn't logical and probably not true.
Kirk Van Houten
Junior
And1: 116

Post#72 » by Kirk Van Houten » Wed Aug 5, 2015 1:45 am

We will win 25 games this year max. Expect to see that jump to around 40 the following year as thats when the grand plan starts to take shape.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 316

Post#73 » by manlisten » Wed Aug 5, 2015 1:47 am

Why what? The team won't make the playoffs and I don't think Hinkie is at the point of his plan where he is concerned about wins. There's no promise Embiid will ever step foot on an NBA court nor that Jah or Nerlens will be superstars so it stands to reason that Hinkie will look to add a potential superstar in the draft like he's always done. If that means moving Covington or Jackson or whoever else for future considerations I don't see why not considering his track record. So to answer the question of why would Hinkie do this, it's because it's what he's always done. If that was even the question.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#74 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Aug 5, 2015 2:22 am

My friend and I have a bet going whether or not the Lakers make the playoffs in 2016. He's more of a casual NBA fan and was hyping their additions (Hibbert, Russell, Lou Williams) and thinks the Kobe Bryant of 2008 is returning this fall to bring them back into the hunt.

This is an easy bet for me to win right? There's no way they sneak in as the 8 seed I hope. Barring major injuries, the Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Clippers, Grizzlies, Thunder and Pelicans should all make it and either Phoenix, Portland, or Utah should have a better shot, right?
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#75 » by MRxBLACK » Wed Aug 5, 2015 2:29 am

GoSixersBro wrote:My friend and I have a bet going whether or not the Lakers make the playoffs in 2016. He's more of a casual NBA fan and was hyping their additions (Hibbert, Russell, Lou Williams) and thinks the Kobe Bryant of 2008 is returning this fall to bring them back into the hunt.

This is an easy bet for me to win right? There's no way they sneak in as the 8 seed I hope. Barring major injuries, the Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Clippers, Grizzlies, Thunder and Pelicans should all make it and either Phoenix, Portland, or Utah should have a better shot, right?

Easy money for you. 0% chance Lakers make playoffs and there's a real chance they're the worst team in the NBA.
ESPN Sucks
TrustTheProcess
Freshman

Post#76 » by TrustTheProcess » Wed Aug 5, 2015 2:34 am

GoSixersBro wrote:My friend and I have a bet going whether or not the Lakers make the playoffs in 2016. He's more of a casual NBA fan and was hyping their additions (Hibbert, Russell, Lou Williams) and thinks the Kobe Bryant of 2008 is returning this fall to bring them back into the hunt.

some friend you are, huh??? lol i do the same thing with my friends hyping up players for fantasy football..

i would say the first 6 you listed are locks, but it is pretty much up in the air in the west for the last two spots.. Portland obviously got worse, Exum just blew out his knee, Sacramento has talent, but is a disaster in the front office and Dallas is without a significant big man.. IMO, phoenix is the most likely to snag the 7, and New Orleans the 8, but definitely think there's a shot the lakers win 40-45 games this year and sneak in, especially if NO or Phoenix deal with any injuries. Overall though its like a 10-15% chance.
sixerkitty
Banned User
And1: 32

Post#77 » by sixerkitty » Wed Aug 5, 2015 2:42 am

TrustTheProcess wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote: but definitely think there's a shot the lakers win 40-45 games this year and sneak in, .

40-45 games ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the Laugh....I needed that. No way L.A. wins close to that, or does 45 wins even get the 8th seed in the playoffs. Lakers are more likely a 26-32 win team MAX!!
76ers 2020
Senior
And1: 341

Post#78 » by 76ers 2020 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 2:48 am

I think Sacramento, Phoenix, Dallas and Utah have better shots and would bet on Sacramento at the moment. Minnesota was a 40 win team 2 years ago when Love was leading them. They had a lot of injuries last year and apparently Andrew Wiggins is the best prospect in league history so they have a better chance as well. I'm more worried about the Lakers being the worst team. Playoffs sounds crazy.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Post#79 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Aug 5, 2015 3:03 am

sixerkitty wrote:
TrustTheProcess wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote: but definitely think there's a shot the lakers win 40-45 games this year and sneak in, .

Thanks for the Laugh....I needed that. No way L.A. wins close to that, or does 45 wins even get the 8th seed in the playoffs. Lakers are more likely a 26-32 win team MAX!!

Whatever you did to that quote made me look like I said that. I agree with you though. 40 wins definitely doesn't get you the 8th seed in the West. 45 might not either.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
TrustTheProcess
Freshman

Post#80 » by TrustTheProcess » Wed Aug 5, 2015 3:19 am

GoSixersBro wrote:
sixerkitty wrote:
TrustTheProcess wrote:

Whatever you did to that quote made me look like I said that. I agree with you though. 40 wins definitely doesn't get you the 8th seed in the West. 45 might not either.

40 is certainly generous, but if Kobe can play a full season and be a half decent teammate, and Russell and Randle can steadily improve throughout the season... they added a rim protector in Hibbert and a scorer off the bench in Lou Will... I'm also high on Jordan Clarkson, i think he is underrated and will have a surprisingly good season. Add Bass and Boozer making decent contribution at the 4 and i don't think it is farfetched to say there is a 10% chance at the 8 seed...

Also, what other teams aside from the 6 powerhouses do you have winning 45 games?? an injury to Anthony Davis and the 8 seed is completely up for grabs. Bottom half of the west is relatively weak IMO, whereas the top 6 or 7 teams are clear cut playoff teams

Return to Philadelphia 76ers