ImageImageImage

OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Re: OT: TV Series 

Post#61 » by eagereyez » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:08 am

Stanford wrote:
eagereyez wrote:]What you quoted is an artistic embellishment.

The creator of the show is telling you you're wrong, man. He's thought more about it than all of us combined.

The fact that three people in this thread thought season 2 was the worst upon their first viewing is evidence that it was misplaced.

It's evidence of nothing. Season 1 primes you to expect a show exclusively about the drug trade. When they follow up with a bunch of white dudes on the Baltimore docks, it's jarring. When you realize the show isn't exclusively about the drug trade, it fits in perfectly with the rest of the series.

It's a work of art. It's okay to disagree with the artist.

The jarring effect is a legitimate knock on the show. I nearly quit after realizing most of my favorite characters wouldn't be making an appearance. I also just didn't care for the dock storyline. I thought it was boring and predictable.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,256

Post#62 » by sixers hoops » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Stanford wrote:
eagereyez wrote:]What you quoted is an artistic embellishment.

The creator of the show is telling you you're wrong, man. He's thought more about it than all of us combined.

The fact that three people in this thread thought season 2 was the worst upon their first viewing is evidence that it was misplaced.

It's evidence of nothing. Season 1 primes you to expect a show exclusively about the drug trade. When they follow up with a bunch of white dudes on the Baltimore docks, it's jarring. When you realize the show isn't exclusively about the drug trade, it fits in perfectly with the rest of the series.

Yeah, people watch season one and think it’s going to be menace to society. I guess some people were disappointed when they expanded the scope of the show beyond the street level drug trade storyline.
Martensitic
Junior
And1: 313

Post#63 » by Martensitic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:12 pm

I don't want to say the usual series, if you want to see something different...

Dekalog, it's just a piece of art, it's incredible on so many levels and being a Kieslowski work, nothing like typical american series.

La meglio gioventù, it's a miniseries, but it's just amazing.

All watched over by machines of loving grace, but anything from Adam Curtis it's worth seeing.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,822

Post#64 » by Black Mage » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:01 am

Changing gears just slightly, any Anime fans that can recommend a good dubbed series? I just finished Darker than Black, Magus's Bride and Alderamin.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#65 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:15 am

Black Mage wrote:Changing gears just slightly, any Anime fans that can recommend a good dubbed series? I just finished Darker than Black, Magus's Bride and Alderamin.

Naruto, Dragon Ball Super, One Punch Man, Castlevania (Netflix), Attack on Titan, Ruruoni Kenshin (Crackle)

A few may be subbed, I can’t remember, but I’ve binged and enjoyed all of these recently.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#66 » by UptownPhilly » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:17 am

I’m seeing The Wire a lot. Phenomenal show. One of my top 3 HBO series along with Game of Thrones & Oz.

If you like The Wire, check out “The Chi” on Showtime. It’s gearing up to be a similarly suspenseful show.

I’d also recommend “Ozark” and “Dark” on Netflix.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,635

Post#67 » by Stanford » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:06 am

UptownPhilly wrote:If you like The Wire, check out “The Chi” on Showtime. It’s gearing up to be a similarly suspenseful show.

I just steamrolled through the first three episodes on your recommendation. It's a very enjoyable show, but there's not a lot going on. What you see is what you get. I would recommend it though.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,822

Post#68 » by Black Mage » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:36 pm

UptownPhilly wrote:
Black Mage wrote:Changing gears just slightly, any Anime fans that can recommend a good dubbed series? I just finished Darker than Black, Magus's Bride and Alderamin.

Naruto, Dragon Ball Super, One Punch Man, Castlevania (Netflix), Attack on Titan, Ruruoni Kenshin (Crackle)

A few may be subbed, I can’t remember, but I’ve binged and enjoyed all of these recently.

I could never get into Naruto. Loved Castlevania, Attack on Titan and RK.

In case you are in the market: Spice and Wolf, Devil is a Part Timer, SAO, Log Horizon, snow White with the red Hair, Yona and Morbito are all top notch.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 24,550

Post#69 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:57 pm

Money Heist (spanish tv series) is another one I'll recommend. Season 2 is available now.

Now trying to watch "Zoo".
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Cheatergriffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 356

Post#70 » by Cheatergriffin » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:06 pm

SPOILER***

Kindve a spoiler but also my opinion.I’ve come to the conclusion which made obvious in The Sopranos that Dr. Melfi helps Tony consciously identify how much of a problem his mother was towards him.

I rewatch the Sopranos frequently and have now come to the conclusion which is not so obvious that Melfi tries to help Tony tap into his unconscious mind and realize how much of a deep rooted hate/ how much of a problem his father was for him.

Ultimately, Tony is never able to make this realization breakthrough in therapy and is never able to reap the full benefits dr melfi tries to provide to conquer his depression/anxiety.

Edit* i could go into far more detail but would end up writing a novel. Im just as obsessed with the sopranos as i am the sixers/eagles.
76ciology
RealGM

Re: OT: Anything Outside Basketball (games, tv series, books and etc.) 

Post#71 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:02 pm

Anyone of you play PUBG mobile? TTP owes me a lot after he introduced me to this game and now im addicted to it. LOL

Ben Simmons plays PUBG and Fortnite
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#72 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:03 pm

Two books I’d recommend if you are big in self-help like me:

Ray Dalio-Principles
Annie Duke-Thinking in Bets
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:08 pm

76ciology wrote:Annie Duke-Thinking in Bets

That's funny, I read Harrington on Hold 'em in high school and found it to be very helpful in situations outside of poker. I'm not surprised that someone from the game has entered this genre.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,306

Post#74 » by PLO » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:18 pm

Annie Duke does not have the best reputation among most of the poker community.

Edit: I haven't read her book so I'll take 76ciology's word on it. Probably the stuff most high-stakes pros read is from guys like Jared Tendler. The book that has most influenced where poker is now is probably "Let There Be Range" which cost something like $2k to buy back in the day. Source: I play (I've played the WSOP Main and a few other bigger events) and have met some reasonably well known professionals.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#75 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:36 pm

Stanford wrote:
76ciology wrote:Annie Duke-Thinking in Bets

That's funny, I read Harrington on Hold 'em in high school and found it to be very helpful in situations outside of poker. I'm not surprised that someone from the game has entered this genre.

It is probably one of the best books ive read regarding decision making. Maybe its shallow than most smart guys here. I like how it talked about probabilities relative to real life situations.

life is more like Poker than Chess

Chess is a well defined form of computation where there’s no hidden info. In chess, outcomes correlate more tightly with decision quality.

While life is more like Poker. Outcomes are determined by two factors, decision quality and LUCK. It’s a game of incomplete info that has uncertainty over time.

“Improving decision quality is about increasing out chances of good outcomes, not guaranteeing them.

Event when that effort makes a small difference-more rational thinking and fewer emotional decisions translated into an increase probability of better outcomes-it can have a significant impact on how our lives turn out.

Good results compound. Good processes become better habits.”
76ciology
RealGM

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:38 pm

PLO wrote:Annie Duke does not have the best reputation among most of the poker community.

Edit: I haven't read her book so I'll take 76ciology's word on it. Probably the stuff most high-stakes pros read is from guys like Jared Tendler. The book that has most influenced where poker is now is probably "Let There Be Range" which cost something like $2k to buy back in the day. Source: I play (I've played the WSOP Main and a few other bigger events) and have met some reasonably well known professionals.

Hahaha! I actually dont play poker. The book is more about improving decision making in general than it is about improving in playing poker.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:42 pm

Any of y'all play CCGs? I played Yu-Gi-Oh as a kid and moved to mtg for a bit a few years ago. Now I'm playing TES: Legends, a terrific smaller game with a great community. I would recommend it to anyone who is currently playing gwent or hearthstone. If you're already a player, let me know and I'll add you.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 9,038

Post#78 » by Sixersftw » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:51 pm

Stanford wrote:Any of y'all play CCGs? I played Yu-Gi-Oh as a kid and moved to mtg for a bit a few years ago. Now I'm playing TES: Legends, a terrific smaller game with a great community. I would recommend it to anyone who is currently playing gwent or hearthstone. If you're already a player, let me know and I'll add you.

I played MTG as a kid but can't really stick to hearthstone. The fact that you can't recoup your investment at the end of a sets life cycle makes it feel like a cash funnel. I'll look into it.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,622

Post#79 » by Eyeamok » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:20 pm

The Wire as has been stated before is excellent. Even season 5 ,which is the worse season, still has some excellent moments after rewatching the series. I hated season 2 when I first saw it. After watching the series again season 2 is excellent.

Books: Finished reading Extreme ownership a few months ago. Excellent read.
How not to die, could change your life.
The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking. It's sad this book is not taught in high school.
The Compound Effect. Another book that should be taught in high school.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

Ready for Summer League

Ready for the season to start. ECF

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Cheatergriffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 356

Post#80 » by Cheatergriffin » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:40 pm

Anyone see the new scorsese movie coming out in 2019 “The Irishmen”? Supposed to be based on the novel “I heard you paint houses”. Never read the book but the actors/actresses are hall of fame throughout. Pacino, pesci, deniro, keitel, bobby canavale (BWE, Gyp rossetti) Jesse Plemons (breaking bad, fargo season 2), ray romano.

The movie is based on the supposed man who murdered Jimmy Hoffa, with that lineup of people i cant imagine its going to be bad.

Also with the sopranos prequel coming out “The Many Saints of Newark” id love to see Bobby Canavale play Christophers father. I just think he’d be perfect for that role.

Also Many saints translated = Moltisanti, so while mant believe the movie will focus on Johnny boy soprano, i personally believe its going to revolve around Christophers father Dicky Moltisanti.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers