Post#901 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:54 pm

He's cold blooded as a shooter.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,275

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#902 » by Stanford » Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:59 pm

Carter's rebounding numbers are insane. We gotta get that dude.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,695

Post#903 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:05 pm

Why is every mental midget minded writer in basketball land assuming we are trading this pick? How do these guys even get these jobs? They all regurgitate the same speculative bull$hit. It's like all anyone can do is grasp blindly for the low hanging fruit. I don't understand that. Just because Morey has a reputation for star chasing doesn't mean that's what he's going to do. In fact, Morey strikes me as a turn left type of individual when everyone is expecting him to keep right. With that being said, I'm not putting it past him to trade this pick, but it damn well better be for an obvious greater cause.

I also don't get close mindedly dismissing this draft as "trash" simply because it lacks superstar players. Yes...The draft lacks major game breakers, but we're unlikely to find that player at #16 anyway. What this draft does possess is a plethora of capable rotation/starter level players and I confidently believe that we can hit on one of them. I just don't see the point in trading this draft pick if all it's going to do is sweeten an offer for some mid veteran that no longer possess the drive to carve out a legacy for themselves. I think we can sign those guys in free agency. This team absolutely needs an injection of youth moving forward.

I think you need to look no further than Kawhi Leonard and the situation he was drafted in to with the Spurs. San Antonio was already a perennial playoff team. Leonard had time to learn under a great coach and established veterans and I truly believe he benefited big time from that. The same can easily be said about Tyrese Maxey coming in to this situation a few years ago. I think you draft a guy at 16, you homegrown them behind the veterans on this team and in turn, it will allow them to become at the very least solid pros in the future.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#904 » by youngcrev » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Yes
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#905 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:33 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes

Add Carrington and Jakobe Walter to that list as well. If any of those four are there it's a must that we keep it. Or...If an unexpected player like Dalton Knecht falls.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#906 » by youngcrev » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:07 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes

Add Carrington and Jakobe Walter to that list as well. If any of those four are there it's a must that we keep it. Or...If an unexpected player like Dalton Knecht falls.

Nah, that would just mean "I'm not trading this pick no matter what" since both of those guys seem extremely likely to be around.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#907 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:09 pm

youngcrev wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes

Nah, that would just mean "I'm not trading this pick no matter what" since both of those guys seem extremely likely to be around.

Walter especially is worth keeping that pick for. The Brandon Ingram rumor is interesting though, but I find it advantageous that New Orleans called US about a deal surrounding him. Advantageous as in...We get to keep this pick and use the future firsts in it's place to trade for him.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,797

Post#908 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:33 pm

If we go the 3rd max player route, we absolutely can’t trade this pick because we need a good rookie-scale contract role player to fill out the roster.

If we go with something like Derozan + better depth, then I’m fine trading this pick in a deal that lands a high quality vet.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,346

Post#909 » by mjkvol » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:37 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yes

Knecht keeps rising in mock drafts, for whatever they're worth. I've seen him going as high as #5 to Detroit, but I'm hoping he ends up in San Antonio or Memphis, not some black hole like Detroit or Portland.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,426

Post#910 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:43 am

Ron Holland would be a homerun for Morey.

He's only 18, super athletic, has great size, can score, can pass, can defend. He's a pretty safe bet to become a star. If his shooting develops, he's at the pinnacle.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 24,028

Post#911 » by 76ciology » Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:59 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Why is every mental midget minded writer in basketball land assuming we are trading this pick? How do these guys even get these jobs? They all regurgitate the same speculative bull$hit. It's like all anyone can do is grasp blindly for the low hanging fruit. I don't understand that. Just because Morey has a reputation for star chasing doesn't mean that's what he's going to do. In fact, Morey strikes me as a turn left type of individual when everyone is expecting him to keep right. With that being said, I'm not putting it past him to trade this pick, but it damn well better be for an obvious greater cause.

I also don't get close mindedly dismissing this draft as "trash" simply because it lacks superstar players. Yes...The draft lacks major game breakers, but we're unlikely to find that player at #16 anyway. What this draft does possess is a plethora of capable rotation/starter level players and I confidently believe that we can hit on one of them. I just don't see the point in trading this draft pick if all it's going to do is sweeten an offer for some mid veteran that no longer possess the drive to carve out a legacy for themselves. I think we can sign those guys in free agency. This team absolutely needs an injection of youth moving forward.

I think you need to look no further than Kawhi Leonard and the situation he was drafted in to with the Spurs. San Antonio was already a perennial playoff team. Leonard had time to learn under a great coach and established veterans and I truly believe he benefited big time from that. The same can easily be said about Tyrese Maxey coming in to this situation a few years ago. I think you draft a guy at 16, you homegrown them behind the veterans on this team and in turn, it will allow them to become at the very least solid pros in the future.

Because most writers dont spend that much detail on a particular team. They operate based on bias and heuristics.

The most general writers or media person who covers NBA would just say this draft is bad and sixers need a win now player so it makes no sense to keep it.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,346

Post#912 » by mjkvol » Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:59 am

76ciology wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Why is every mental midget minded writer in basketball land assuming we are trading this pick? How do these guys even get these jobs? They all regurgitate the same speculative bull$hit. It's like all anyone can do is grasp blindly for the low hanging fruit. I don't understand that. Just because Morey has a reputation for star chasing doesn't mean that's what he's going to do. In fact, Morey strikes me as a turn left type of individual when everyone is expecting him to keep right. With that being said, I'm not putting it past him to trade this pick, but it damn well better be for an obvious greater cause.

Because most writers dont spend that much detail on a particular team. They operate based on bias and heuristics.

The most general writers or media person who covers NBA would just say this draft is bad and sixers need a win now player so it makes no sense to keep it.

Add to that the fact that any "inside" information they have has been fed to them by agents and team personnel using them to get their messages out. Which is exactly why it always amazes me how much credence their reports are given.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Iscull
Senior
And1: 141

Post#913 » by Iscull » Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:53 pm

The only pick I want is Tristan De Silva. Perfect role player in our system
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,448

Post#914 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:58 pm

I've been looking at past drafts and one thing that scares me about McCain is the existence of Doron Lamb. Similar size, otherworldly shooters, medium to low athleticism...

Not sure who the ceiling is, but the mid-level is Seth Curry and the floor is Doron Lamb. When swinging for the fences on draft picks, as I like to do, those types of players aren't really big needle movers for me.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,260

Post#915 » by Mik317 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:17 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I've been looking at past drafts and one thing that scares me about McCain is the existence of Doron Lamb. Similar size, otherworldly shooters, medium to low athleticism...

Not sure who the ceiling is, but the mid-level is Seth Curry and the floor is Doron Lamb. When swinging for the fences on draft picks, as I like to do, those types of players aren't really big needle movers for me.

I like McCain a lot but yeah.

My hope is that since he is rather well built (i.e stocky) and was a sneaky solid rebounder there is more there than one may think in terms of what he can bring outside of shooting. But Super Seth Curry may be his calling at the end of the day.

My thing with this draft and this team in general...the quiet part out loud is that we make just be **** due to past mistakes, so I'd like to get another Maxey level steal with a high upside type beat so we can get un **** even when Biid falls off...but goddam is this draft dreadful for that lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#916 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:23 pm

Mik317 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I've been looking at past drafts and one thing that scares me about McCain is the existence of Doron Lamb. Similar size, otherworldly shooters, medium to low athleticism...

I like McCain a lot but yeah.

My hope is that since he is rather well built (i.e stocky) and was a sneaky solid rebounder there is more there than one may think in terms of what he can bring outside of shooting. But Super Seth Curry may be his calling at the end of the day.

My thing with this draft and this team in general...the quiet part out loud is that we make just be **** due to past mistakes, so I'd like to get another Maxey level steal with a high upside type beat so we can get un **** even when Biid falls off...but goddam is this draft dreadful for that lol

I think I'll continue to be the only brave one to stan Bobi Klintman all the way to the end. He should be our pick.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,634

Post#917 » by Iverson Armband » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:58 pm

Desmond Bane?
always a jump shot away.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#918 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:01 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:

Desmond Bane?

Bane is slightly taller. I also think Bane had a monster vert compared to McCain, but it's not a bad ceiling at all.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,260

Post#919 » by Mik317 » Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:48 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
[/x]
#NeverGonnaBeGood
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#920 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:31 pm

Mik317 wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
[/x]

Outside of Collier, it looks like guys that will be there in the 2nd when we pick. I can overreact and assume we're trading the 16th pick I guess, but I'll chill for now.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers