ImageImageImage

Nerlens Noel Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,916

Re: Nerlens Noel will be 2014-2015 rookie of the year 

Post#921 » by 76ciology » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 am

The reason Nerlens was shifted to PF was because of our PnR defense which I have posted before that was very bad on eye test.

Having Aldemir on the court to protect the paint allow Noel to trap the ball handler and boy will he be a terror trapping against PnR offense with his quick hands and athleticism.

This also gives Noel some clue on how he should adjust his game playing alongside another big like Embiid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
42uptop
Starter
And1: 754

Post#922 » by 42uptop » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:55 am

Noel's stats are not going to be as gaudy when he plays extended minutes next to a true center. The team will undoubtedly get much better and more efficient, but he won't be recording the same number of rebounds, blocks, shots, etc. Players like Embiid will eat up a lot of possessions and opportunities will go down. He'll have to adjust accordingly.
I speak the truth.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Nerlens Noel will be 2014-2015 rookie of the year 

Post#923 » by Ericb5 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:14 am

bedjawII wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
guitarpath wrote:Hinkie is in total rebuild mode. He should draft the player with the most upside. If he has the #1 overall pick and he estimates that Towns has the most upside in the draft, then he should draft him and worry about building the roster later. This is especially true given Embiid's health concerns.

I happen to think that the player with the greatest upside in the draft is Emmanuel Mudiay. He has the athleticism and skill set required to develop into a star PG.

I also think that both Noel and Embiid have greater upside than either Okafor or Towns. I'll put it this way: If the draft featured Embiid, Noel, Okafor, and Towns, which player would you take with the #1 overall pick?

Honestly, my choice (based on upside and star potential) would be:

1. Embiid
2. Noel
3. Towns
4. Okafor

I love your enthusiasm and I love Noel's growth too but I would rank them in this order.
1. Embiid
2. Towns
3. Okafor
4. Noel

Wow...really? Even after NN second half? Given everything we know as fact today I think I'd argue NN is #1. ANd if you truly believe defense wins CHIPS then definitely NN is #1. All I'm saying is NN has erased almost every doubt or concern people had with him. While the others still have pretty big question marks. And this is from a guy who two months ago was open about how I thought NN was nothing more then mid-level type player. But he's not...he is a difference maker.

It is a bit hard to compare guys that have played in the nba to guys that haven't, but just in terms of prospects at this stage I still think that Towns and Okafor have more upside than Noel.

He has had a great rookie year, and he has addressed some of his biggest weaknesses, but that doesn't change the fact that Towns and Okafor have tremendous potential as well.

Plus comparing him to a healthy Embiid is silly. There is now comparison.

Btw, they are all studs.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
guitarpath
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#924 » by guitarpath » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:16 pm

I think it may be a stretch to place Noel above Embiid in terms of raw potential. Embiid projects to an elite two-way franchise center. The often-utilized Olajuwon comparison for Embiid is likely to be valid if he is healthy. Embiid is obviously a risk given his injury, but he is a special and rare prospect in terms of size, skill set and athleticism.

I would be comfortable placing Noel at #2 ahead of both Towns and Okafor, though. I think those two (especially Towns) will be very good NBA big men, but neither project to be the unique and elite type of defensive presence of Noel.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#925 » by bedjawII » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:05 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
bedjawII wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
I love your enthusiasm and I love Noel's growth too but I would rank them in this order.
1. Embiid
2. Towns
3. Okafor
4. Noel

Wow...really? Even after NN second half? Given everything we know as fact today I think I'd argue NN is #1. ANd if you truly believe defense wins CHIPS then definitely NN is #1. All I'm saying is NN has erased almost every doubt or concern people had with him. While the others still have pretty big question marks. And this is from a guy who two months ago was open about how I thought NN was nothing more then mid-level type player. But he's not...he is a difference maker.

It is a bit hard to compare guys that have played in the nba to guys that haven't, but just in terms of prospects at this stage I still think that Towns and Okafor have more upside than Noel.

He has had a great rookie year, and he has addressed some of his biggest weaknesses, but that doesn't change the fact that Towns and Okafor have tremendous potential as well.

Plus comparing him to a healthy Embiid is silly. There is now comparison.

Btw, they are all studs.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

My position is just we know have a known commodity in NN. And while all of those other guys are clearly more talented offensive players non will have the impact NN has on the defensive side. If I'm going to pick between 4 stud prospects then I'm taking the guy who I already know has the desire and attitude to be great. I am no way disparaging the other dudes, but NN is a lot closer to being a special NBA player then any of the other three...right now.
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#926 » by bedjawII » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:08 pm

guitarpath wrote:I think it may be a stretch to place Noel above Embiid in terms of raw potential. Embiid projects to an elite two-way franchise center. The often-utilized Olajuwon comparison for Embiid is likely to be valid if he is healthy. Embiid is obviously a risk given his injury, but he is a special and rare prospect in terms of size, skill set and athleticism.

I would be comfortable placing Noel at #2 ahead of both Towns and Okafor, though. I think those two (especially Towns) will be very good NBA big men, but neither project to be the unique and elite type of defensive presence of Noel.

I place NN at #1 because of the injury. Even if healthy this year there is still a possibility that a stress fracture lingers an reoccurs. An ACL once completely healed and the further you get away from it becomes less of a re-injury risk.
kingphilly
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#927 » by kingphilly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Noel is no where near the prospect KAT is in my opinion, but I would argue that Nerl will impact a game more than Okafor at the next level
King Phillys Snack Board
1- chicken wings
2- pizza
3- chili dog
4- potato chips
5- cheeseburger
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#928 » by Sixersftw » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:12 pm

I have Okafor last on this list, does that make me a crazy person? 1. Embiid 2. KAT 3. NN 4. Okafor.

I just hate big men that can't defend as your cornerstone. It's the reason that I don't think Orlando will ever be very good w/o a defensive savant next to Vucci mane.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#929 » by tk76 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:03 pm

I think NN has the least value of the 4, even though he very well could end up the best player in the end due to his motor and uniqueness.

But that same uniqueness is why the others rank higher in value. Until NN succeeds in putting on more weight or fully develops a perimeter game he remains a bit of a tweener as a 216lb center. He is clearly impactful, but you cannot simply plug him in on any team at C or PF. You have to adjust your roster and scheme for NN to fit, since he is not a stretch 4, and you can't play him next to an undersized PF.

In comparison, Embiid and Okafor are classic centers, and Towns has the size and range to player PF or C. Again, that does not mean Noel won't be the best player in the long run- but the others currently have more value (assuming health for Embiid.)
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#930 » by MRxBLACK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:13 pm

tk76 wrote:In comparison, Embiid and Okafor are classic centers, and Towns has the size and range to player PF or C. Again, that does not mean Noel won't be the best player in the long run- but the others currently have more value (assuming health for Embiid.)

Okafor is an awkward fit too. It's the main reason I wouldn't build a team around him. He doesn't offer rim protection or the ability to stretch the floor. His ideal partner is one that can stretch the floor and cover him on defense. I can't think of any players that could do that besides Ibaka and Davis.
ESPN Sucks
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,956

Post#931 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 pm

In a perfect world with Embiid coming back 100% I like the Noel/Embiid pairing better than any other combination, and it's not close.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,527

Post#932 » by Snotbubbles » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:36 pm

kingphilly wrote:Noel is no where near the prospect KAT is in my opinion, but I would argue that Nerl will impact a game more than Okafor at the next level

According to advanced numbers like EWP, Towns isn't even close to Noel. Towns has an EWP of 11, Embiid has an EWP of 11.4, Noel has an EWP of 13. But going all the way back to Tim Duncan's draft year (Duncan had a 12.3 EWP), only Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant and Yao Ming had better EWPs than Noel. That's impressive.
kingphilly
Freshman

Post#933 » by kingphilly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:39 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
kingphilly wrote:Noel is no where near the prospect KAT is in my opinion, but I would argue that Nerl will impact a game more than Okafor at the next level

According to advanced numbers like EWP, Towns isn't even close to Noel. Towns has an EWP of 11, Embiid has an EWP of 11.4, Noel has an EWP of 13. But going all the way back to Tim Duncan's draft year (Duncan had a 12.3 EWP), only Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant and Yao Ming had better EWPs than Noel. That's impressive.

I will admit in my opinion Noels and KATS ceiling in terms of impact might be close, I think KATS offense is going to be a lot more refined than Noels can ever become, while KATS defense is definitely a step below Noels. I could definitely see KAT becoming a more impact player than Noel, but can't say the same about Jahlil. I mean, Al Jeffersons low post game is a beauty to watch but I would most certainly not be chomping at the bit to get him in a sixers uni. I would rank them
Embiid
KAT
Nerl
Okafor

If NERL can start to consistently hit the 12-15 footer and get his freethrows up to 70 in the future I would put him ahead of KAT but until then I can't do it. And that's coming from a HUGE Nerl The Pearl fan
King Phillys Snack Board
1- chicken wings
2- pizza
3- chili dog
4- potato chips
5- cheeseburger
kingphilly
Freshman

Post#934 » by kingphilly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 pm

I also think if KAT had played on a team not so stacked this year it wouldn't even be a discussion who would go number one. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out like last time it was a race between and Okafor and another young beastly center
King Phillys Snack Board
1- chicken wings
2- pizza
3- chili dog
4- potato chips
5- cheeseburger
guitarpath
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#935 » by guitarpath » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:24 pm

kingphilly wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

I will admit in my opinion Noels and KATS ceiling in terms of impact might be close, I think KATS offense is going to be a lot more refined than Noels can ever become, while KATS defense is definitely a step below Noels. I could definitely see KAT becoming a more impact player than Noel, but can't say the same about Jahlil. I mean, Al Jeffersons low post game is a beauty to watch but I would most certainly not be chomping at the bit to get him in a sixers uni. I would rank them
Embiid
KAT
Nerl
Okafor

If NERL can start to consistently hit the 12-15 footer and get his freethrows up to 70 in the future I would put him ahead of KAT but until then I can't do it. And that's coming from a HUGE Nerl The Pearl fan

Towns is a bigger guy and his offense is indeed much more refined than Noel's coming out of Kentucky. However, I think that elite defense and rim protection is more rare and valuable than solid offensive production from a big man, and this is why I place Noel above Towns if they were in the same draft.

A 20 year-old 6'11'' center/power forward who is already an elite run protector and will be a DPOY candidate for years to come has tremendous value in the NBA.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,048

Post#936 » by Mik317 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 pm

Towns doesn't give you rim protection? Noel is obviously awesome there but Towns isn't a complete bum there either...thus his actual touch matters...plus Embiid will be the post protector while Noel patrols the perimeter so it really doesn't matter that much.

Towns ranks higher than Noel because 1. He has a bigger frame. 2. Has actually offensive skills (some of which Cal isn't even letting him use) 3. He is a very capable defender as well. Noel is probably a better athlete and a better defensive fit with Embiid due to his ability to guard the perimeter (or at least his potential to do so...he struggles with that right now). Okafor isn't that far behind either if his offensive game translates and his defensive issues are more or less lazyness.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#937 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 pm

I would rank Towns ahead of Noel as well, however Noel's defense seems to not be getting properly weighed. If Towns ever does what Noel has done this season defensively than that would be superb, I'm not putting it past Towns because of the prospect that he is, just fact of the matter is Noel is among the better defenders in the league already. Compare his numbers with 8 games remaining to top performers in these defensive categories from past seasons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... op_10.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... op_10.html

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/579309538391810050[/tweet]
Currently DBPM 4.7, DWS 4.2, Drtg 98.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
kingphilly
Freshman

Post#938 » by kingphilly » Wed Apr 1, 2015 2:20 am

guitarpath wrote:
kingphilly wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

Embiid
KAT
Nerl
Okafor

Towns is a bigger guy and his offense is indeed much more refined than Noel's coming out of Kentucky. However, I think that elite defense and rim protection is more rare and valuable than solid offensive production from a big man, and this is why I place Noel above Towns if they were in the same draft.

A 20 year-old 6'11'' center/power forward who is already an elite run protector and will be a DPOY candidate for years to come has tremendous value in the NBA.

That's why I said I put NERL ahead of Okafor, because it takes more than a smooth offensive game to completely discount defense, but I think KAT gives you far better than an "average" defender. If I had to pick one and only one today for my franchise I'm picking KAT. That may change in the future, but all I can say is damn I'm glad hinkie made that trade. At the time I was slightly pissed about it but in retrospect what a gnarly steal man
King Phillys Snack Board
1- chicken wings
2- pizza
3- chili dog
4- potato chips
5- cheeseburger
kingphilly
Freshman

Post#939 » by kingphilly » Wed Apr 1, 2015 2:21 am

I meant the steal as in Jrue for nerl AND Saric. Hinkie sure bent them over in that one
King Phillys Snack Board
1- chicken wings
2- pizza
3- chili dog
4- potato chips
5- cheeseburger
kingphilly
Freshman

Post#940 » by kingphilly » Wed Apr 1, 2015 2:26 am

Nerlens is the best rookie this year. Whether or not he gets it instead of Wiggy doing nothing but piling up meaningless points in blowout wins and doing almost nothing else remains to be seen but I think NERL is certainly deserving of the award. I take solace in knowing that after the eventual snub he's going to fire himself up to the point that 3-5 dpoy awards are almost a certainty. Would you take over/under on 3.5 for dpoy awards for nerlens? I would prob still take under but anybody who's seen him knows. Them hands is like lightning.
King Phillys Snack Board
1- chicken wings
2- pizza
3- chili dog
4- potato chips
5- cheeseburger

Return to Philadelphia 76ers