sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Re: Tobias Harris Trade Thread 

Post#981 » by sixers hoops » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:15 am

HotelVitale wrote:
SixersSince82 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Y'all are crazy piling it on Harris the way some of you do. He's not the answer, but he's far from the problem .

I think he is far and away THE problem. Blew 3 first round picks on him. (Shamet, former first round selection and 2 firsts) Overpaid by almost 20 mil. Doesn't play make, doesn't get to the cup or draw fouls, doesn't shoot enough from distance to be a real floor spacer, doesn't give you any intangibles or bring it defensively. Has ZERO chemistry with Joel.

Dont get me wrong, it's not Tobias' "fault" that the 6ers stupid FO blew ALL their assets on him or gave him that contract. But not being "his fault" doesn't change the fact that his specific skill set (and lack thereof) is a giant problem for a team trying to win a title built around Joel.

Grow up guys, it was a mistake a few years ago within a bunch of other blessings and curses that have made our fate what it is. I hired horrible contractors to fix my house a few times, it sucked and I lost that transaction. I don’t hate my house though, and it’s not why my house has the value it does; you’re gonna lose moves sometimes, don’t be the guy who still gets red faced and annoying whenever anyone brings up everything that could’ve gone better.

In this case, the Sixers gave up two late 1sts for him, plus shamet who sucks. It would’ve been totally reasonable even for Harris haters to trade one of those picks and Shamet to rent Tobias for the PO run, so we maybe overpaid by a late 1st. Cool. We then got gifted that late 1st back for Fultz—but I guess the point is to only take it up the butt when we lose a trade a little bit and lose sleep for years over it, and not see the flip side of the things we won.

We also overpaid for his contract since we had his Bird rights, it’s not like we had some other path to getting him or had some way of getting him cheap and also adding someone better. We also made a much bigger mistake by signing Horford that year, but again I guess folks take some masochistic pleasure in tearing down the castle and screaming at one player. Tobias isn’t an answer on the court and he’s not a good trade chip, but dumping him makes us worse in court and doesn’t offer us any path to being great.

That was your best guess at why we talk about Tobias instead of Horford? It’s because one has been gone for a year, and the other is here playing bad basketball. We posted for a year about how Hortford’s contract was horrible, but now he is not a sixer, hence the lack of Horford talk on the Sixers forum.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,839

Post#982 » by the_process » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:14 pm

If OKC renounces their TPE's and cap holds, they can do Harris for Favors straight up. Obviously there would have to be a first or two as payment. That puts the Sixers in range to get cap space to sign Harden outright.

Are the Thunder allowed to renounce all their exceptions and become an under the cap team now?
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,403

Post#983 » by Murray_17 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:00 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Grow up guys, it was a mistake a few years ago within a bunch of other blessings and curses that have made our fate what it is. I hired horrible contractors to fix my house a few times, it sucked and I lost that transaction. I don’t hate my house though, and it’s not why my house has the value it does; you’re gonna lose moves sometimes, don’t be the guy who still gets red faced and annoying whenever anyone brings up everything that could’ve gone better.

In this case, the Sixers gave up two late 1sts for him, plus shamet who sucks. It would’ve been totally reasonable even for Harris haters to trade one of those picks and Shamet to rent Tobias for the PO run, so we maybe overpaid by a late 1st. Cool. We then got gifted that late 1st back for Fultz—but I guess the point is to only take it up the butt when we lose a trade a little bit and lose sleep for years over it, and not see the flip side of the things we won.

We also overpaid for his contract since we had his Bird rights, it’s not like we had some other path to getting him or had some way of getting him cheap and also adding someone better. We also made a much bigger mistake by signing Horford that year, but again I guess folks take some masochistic pleasure in tearing down the castle and screaming at one player. Tobias isn’t an answer on the court and he’s not a good trade chip, but dumping him makes us worse in court and doesn’t offer us any path to being great.

Dude, you started talking about how we should not complain about one bad move and how everyone makes mistakes and then went on to list a bunch of bad moves made BY THE SAME GUY :lol: :lol:

Like, this is really another level on the self awareness scale.
the_process
RealGM

Post#984 » by the_process » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:17 am

DAL gets Harris and Green
DET gets Powell, Springer, and PHI 1st
PHI gets Hardaway and Grant
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#985 » by elchengue20 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:01 pm

Detroit is going to get better offers for Grant than that.
the_process
RealGM

Post#986 » by the_process » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:11 pm

elchengue20 wrote:Detroit is going to get better offers for Grant than that.

EDIT: Wouldn’t count on it. But maybe they do. Could add a little more. Korkmaz, for example, or some 2nds.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#987 » by elchengue20 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:17 pm

Well, they already have Horton Tucker and a LAL1st on the table thats probably better.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#988 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:18 pm

With this news
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Should they look move any asset to get off harris contract?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,175

Post#989 » by mjkvol » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:02 pm

They should definitely be looking for a Tobias deal, but I can't see Morey just paying to unload him and getting nothing back. That would send the message that we are not going for it this year, which would be okay with me but wouldn't sell well to most of the fan base.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,625

Post#990 » by Jailblazers7 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:18 am

mjkvol wrote:They should definitely be looking for a Tobias deal, but I can't see Morey just paying to unload him and getting nothing back. That would send the message that we are not going for it this year, which would be okay with me but wouldn't sell well to most of the fan base.

Totally agree and it’d be a tougher sell to Embiid. It’s one thing to convince him that we don’t need Ben and can ride the situation out but another thing entirely to trade Tobias for nothing.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 477

Post#991 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:18 am

Sixers out: Tobi, Shake, Paul Reed, Isaiah Joe, ‘22 1st, ‘23 2nd via cha/Atl/BK, ‘27 2nd
Sixers in: Clarkson, RoCo, Gay

Jazz out: Clarkson, Ingles, Gay,
Jazz in: Tobi, Reed, Joe, Phil ‘22 1st

Blazers out: RoCo
Blazers in: Ingles, Shake, Phil ‘23 2nd via cha/Atl/BK, Phi ‘27 2nd

Worth it?
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#992 » by brannigan73 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:30 am

Im fine waiting for the summer but with this caveat. It better be a really good deal or else Morey will rightly get killed for waiting for so long and basically punting during an unbelievable season by Embiid. Just because they wait longer doesn't mean they are getting a better deal eventually then what available at the deadline. Also, if trading for Harden invovles you having to trade Harris somehow its not happening. No one is trading for Harris for at least another year. A so called stretch four shooting sub 30% from three lolz. Untradeable. If it comes out they were offered something like Halliburton and Barnes for Simmons and they passed and they do a worse deal down the line Ill organize a pitchfork mob myself and descend on the Camden complex lol. We should have been in on Harden before he got traded to Brooklyn. He'll be two years older now even if we get him next offseason.
the_process
RealGM

Post#993 » by the_process » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:05 pm

Just get another PF in return who can shoot with volume, who happens to have a cheaper or better yet expiring contract, and you can sell that as an upgrade.

There's likely no way around taking back some bad money for Tobias. But if it's shorter term, you can still shed it in the summer. Shedding Tobias is absolutely essential to have any real shot at Harden.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#994 » by sixers hoops » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:44 pm

the_process wrote:Just get another PF in return who can shoot with volume, who happens to have a cheaper or better yet expiring contract, and you can sell that as an upgrade.

There's likely no way around taking back some bad money for Tobias. But if it's shorter term, you can still shed it in the summer. Shedding Tobias is absolutely essential to have any real shot at Harden.

It’s tough with Tobias because he makes so much, the size of the deal could really vary. If we took back a similar bad contract, but one year shorter, I imagine that the player we are getting back wouldn’t be a contributor. Do we go the next 18 months with a weaker roster to get rid of Tobias one year earlier?

If we can trade him for three guys each making $12 million, at various contract lengths, could we get more production from three lower tier players?

I feel like I have to judge moving him on a deal to deal basis.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 6,032

Post#995 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:43 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
the_process wrote:Just get another PF in return who can shoot with volume, who happens to have a cheaper or better yet expiring contract, and you can sell that as an upgrade.

It’s tough with Tobias because he makes so much, the size of the deal could really vary. If we took back a similar bad contract, but one year shorter, I imagine that the player we are getting back wouldn’t be a contributor. Do we go the next 18 months with a weaker roster to get rid of Tobias one year earlier?

If we can trade him for three guys each making $12 million, at various contract lengths, could we get more production from three lower tier players?

I feel like I have to judge moving him on a deal to deal basis.

The issue with just moving Harris is it really doesn't solve the problem of opening up a max slot for Harden all it does is make the team worse.

Look I get it for people he is overpaid but people need to stop looking at his contract because that is a sunk cost the question we need to ask ourselves is trading him plus assets like maybe a Thybulle and a 1st for garbage expirings help us now or in the future knowing that in doing so we maybe open up 13-15 million depending on picks. Could we sign Harris for that? To me the answer is no, no and no.

Harris contract is a problem for ownership not the fans. Hell as a fan I'd like to see us add more salary not less. I mean the time to sort of add a max guy via FA was earlier when Simmons was still on his rookie deal that time has come and gone and our failure to land Lebron or Kawhi or any sort of big star FA is a big reason why we are stuck with Tobi to begin with
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#996 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:50 pm

No it's not.

Why would we make the move now anyways without knowing Harden was a sure thing? When the time comes we can either dump him on a team or try to do a s+t with byn.
the_process
RealGM

Post#997 » by the_process » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:05 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:

No it's not.

Why would we make the move now anyways without knowing Harden was a sure thing? When the time comes we can either dump him on a team or try to do a s+t with byn.

Only way IMO to get BKN to deal is to threaten to sign Harden outright. Harris has to go for that.

Also, yes, the team would be better with a PF who shoots volume 3's.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#998 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:12 pm

the_process wrote:DAL gets Harris and Green

We are probably going to have to include Thybulle and a first to do the deal at the very least.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8w2vdrl

I would think it would be need to be this at the bare minimum plus a first.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#999 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:13 pm

the_process wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:

No it's not.

Only way IMO to get BKN to deal is to threaten to sign Harden outright. Harris has to go for that.

Also, yes, the team would be better with a PF who shoots volume 3's.

Who is this mythical expiring PF who shoots volume threes that we are going to trade Tobias for?
the_process
RealGM

Post#1000 » by the_process » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:19 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
the_process wrote:DAL gets Harris and Green

We are probably going to have to include Thybulle and a first to do the deal at the very least.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8w2vdrl

I would think it would be need to be this at the bare minimum plus a first.

If adding Korkmaz gets it done, then add Korkmaz too. I'd add Thybulle as well, but then I'm keeping the 1st.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers