ImageImageImage

Sixers hire Rockets Asst. GM Sam Hinkie

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Re: Sixers hire Rockets Asst. GM Sam Hinkie 

Post#61 » by MRxBLACK » Sat May 11, 2013 2:09 pm

I like the move as well. like a breath of fresh air.
ESPN Sucks
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 948

Post#62 » by Tony Franciosa » Sat May 11, 2013 5:30 pm

love the move. one of the guys I wanted last year when we were looking to replace Thorn. I guess this proves that no one wanted the job while Collins was calling the shots.

now let's get an equally promising coach and get this offseason going. it's like the first dark clouds have been lifted after years of dreary status quo.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#63 » by Ben » Sat May 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Sixersftw wrote:this looks really good. I think every die hard on this forum is in favor of 1. analytics and 2. stealing from the best and the brightest. The ownership did both in one fell swoop.

There is no conceivable way that Spencer Hawes or Evan Turner are back with this next year. Not with a numbers guy.

Wilfried wrote:I'm pretty sure Evan Turner is hoping Hinkie doesn't start to look at his stats.

EvanZ wrote:I interviewed with Hinkie in Houston back in October. I can almost guarantee that Turner is the first guy shipped out.

This was my first thought as well. I'm excited for Hinkie and his approach, and I'm pleased if it means that the Sixers will more heavily consider the kind of metrics that many winning teams have been using for a while.

Yeah, metrics can't get you Lebron or Durant, and metrics can't get you incredible coaches, but we all know that there aren't enough superstars to go around. Combining traditional scouting and evaluation with advanced metrics: that's an encouraging move.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,504

Post#64 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Ben i've always considered you one of the more sensible people on this forum and I respect your knowledge. So i'll ask this...Based on what we have seen so far do you think Evan Turner is a goner? I personally think his time is up in Philly. Not saying he can't be a good player but three years in the league and still no definite position, no consistancy, and no jump shot. Should we be looking at Tyreke Evans instead? I personally think Evans would be a friggin steal. Sacramento hasn't done him any justice these last couple of seasons. He was playing small forward for crying out loud! He'd clearly be a guard here.
I think Evans is every bit as talented as James Harden and would provide us with the same type of impact that Harden has provided for Houston.
Re-sign Bynum? Yeah if we can but I think we really need to try and base a trade for Evans. Offer up Turner and something else and it can get done in my opinion.
P2K
Analyst
And1: 54

Post#65 » by P2K » Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of this hire, but he gets his honeymoon period like every hire that happens.

If this guy is as super-smart as they say and he knows statistics, Hinkie should then know his first concern is getting a superstar through the draft or trade.

So we should full of tank, tank and more tank starting next season. Tank City. Embrace the tank.
EMBRACE THE PROCESS
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,219

Post#66 » by EvanZ » Sat May 11, 2013 11:27 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I think Evans is every bit as talented as James Harden and would provide us with the same type of impact that Harden has provided for Houston.

Oh, brother. This is why Sam Hinkie is your new GM.

Harden >>>>> Evans.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#67 » by ZarcMumoff » Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 am

EvanZ wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I think Evans is every bit as talented as James Harden and would provide us with the same type of impact that Harden has provided for Houston.

Harden >>>>> Evans.

A poster on a message board is the reason Hinkie is our new GM?

What do I have to post so that LeBron demands to be traded to Philadelphia?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#68 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun May 12, 2013 1:18 am

EvanZ wrote:

Harden >>>>> Evans.

NO, This is just my opinion...Or did you think I was Sam Hinkie? I'm confused...I say that Tyreke Evans would be a good signing for us and you reply with something that totally makes no sense..Atleast in my mind.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#69 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 am

Nah, James Harden is pretty substantially more talented than Tyreke Evans. Both players are good attackers of the basket and driving through contact and finishing. Neither player really uses the mid-range area of the court. Where Harden separates himself is that he's an absolute sniper from 16-25 feet and Tyreke is virtually useless shooting the basketball in that area.

Harden is much more efficient, much more rounded out offensive player. And a major catalyst towards winning basketball.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#70 » by EvanZ » Sun May 12, 2013 1:44 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Harden >>>>> Evans.

NO, This is just my opinion...Or did you think I was Sam Hinkie? I'm confused...I say that Tyreke Evans would be a good signing for us and you reply with something that totally makes no sense..Atleast in my mind.

Hinkie would not put Tyreke and Harden in the same sentence. Now, you should be able to see the talent disparity with your eyes, but if you can't (someone such as yourself apparently), then stats make it extremely obvious.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,800

Post#71 » by Mik317 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:35 am

I think Harden is kinda overrated. He's good sure but I don't think he's THAT good. Reke isn't exactly in the best of situations either. Who knows what a new team and actually getting coached would do for him. He has the toolset and that Rookie Year was pretty damn great (20, 5 and 5 right?). Injuries and a general lack of direction has a lot to do with him falling off.

So there is more than just stats that go into evaluating guys. There is often a context to the stats too.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#72 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 12, 2013 3:00 am

He has the toolset to continue to be a great slasher and stuff the stat sheet. But he'll never be on Harden's level because he's simply not a shooter. He's a good player. His efficiency numbers are pretty solid too. He's just not a shooter. Harden is a great shooter.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#73 » by EvanZ » Sun May 12, 2013 3:13 am

Knux-Future wrote:
So there is more than just stats that go into evaluating guys. There is often a context to the stats too.

Yeah, the context is Harden just took the Rockets to the playoffs. Honestly, if you believe Tyreke Evans and James Harden on par with each other...

Well, this is why I made the comment about needing Sam Hinkie.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#74 » by Mik317 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:47 am

EvanZ wrote:
Knux-Future wrote:

Yeah, the context is Harden just took the Rockets to the playoffs. Honestly, if you believe Tyreke Evans and James Harden on par with each other...

Well, this is why I made the comment about needing Sam Hinkie.

what the **** does that even mean? Because we don't think Harden is god, having this GM will make us see the light? How does that even work?

I don't think Tyreke is as good as Harden but if I did, I don't know how having this GM would change that. It's a pointless comment that serves little purpose in a discussion other than to stroke your own dick on some "lol you don't know ****" bullcrap.

He is allowed to think Reke can elevate the team..whether it's right or not.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#75 » by EvanZ » Sun May 12, 2013 4:19 am

Knux-Future wrote:Because we don't think Harden is god, having this GM will make us see the light?

Gosh, I hope so. But I have my doubts.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#76 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun May 12, 2013 4:21 am

"EvanZ"

Hinkie would not put Tyreke and Harden in the same sentence. Now, you should be able to see the talent disparity with your eyes, but if you can't (someone such as yourself apparently), then stats make it extremely obvious.

Dude, all I was saying was that I think Tyreke Evans can be as talented of a player as James Harden. I also said that getting Tyreke Evans would improve our team. I'm sorry if you don't agree with that. I never said stats..You did...Tyreke Evans is clearly a very talented player and not too long ago people were cursing OKC for not drafting him over Harden. Obviously Harden has elevated his game and become a superstar. Evans on the other hand has been a victim of circumstances in Sac with the kluster **** they are running there. He's been playing out of position and had to deal with numerous different coaches during his tenure. Thats all I was saying.
You need to check nuts because you sound like **** that gets off on trying to make others feel bad about themselves. It's the internet bro...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#77 » by EvanZ » Sun May 12, 2013 4:26 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Dude, all I was saying was that I think Tyreke Evans can be as talented of a player as James Harden.

I know. That's the problem right there unfortunately.

Tyreke might actually help your team, because well, you don't really have any offense to speak of right now. But he is not a Sam Hinkie type of player. Just don't see it happening, tbh.
ryst
Banned User
And1: 506

Post#78 » by ryst » Sun May 12, 2013 5:16 am

very good hire

I have no idea who Hinkie is , don't know if he will be good or bad

but like I said before many times, its time for a new look ,fresh ideas and younger management and coaching

enough with the old has been's like Collins and Thorn

now go get a young head coach

after the team got rid of the cancer that was Doug Collins I see bright future starting with this hire

good move by the owners, I almost gave up on them
Mik317
RealGM

Post#79 » by Mik317 » Sun May 12, 2013 5:16 am

The problem is that people dont agree with you?

da fuq?

wow.

so by your definition we all should have been sold on the Kwame signing because our GM seemed to be cool with it? Or is it that Hinke is some kind of hypnotist or mind melder that makes people agree with him on everything,

what is even.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#80 » by Sixersftw » Sun May 12, 2013 5:29 am

stop feeding trolls guys
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably

Return to Philadelphia 76ers