Nerlens Noel Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

6ersfolife
Junior
And1: 180

Re: Nerlens Noel will be 2014-2015 rookie of the year 

Post#901 » by 6ersfolife » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:02 pm

bedjawII wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:Noel is going to start at the 4 the rest of the season. That will come with growing pains so I think it will end all ROY chances.

Or think about this with how well Noel is playing over an extended period of time. What if we draft KAT, does Embiid become the odd man out eventually. I think that's a real possibility given Noel development and his play at the 5. They could very well let Embiid play next year, prove he's healthy and get a king's ransom or KD ( :roll: )for him. Then you don't have to worry about the health issue either. Either way the development of NN into an elite big-man, in just his rookie year, is unforeseen and just the type of break required for Hinkie to deliver a contender.

why are you guys trying to trade away either? Noel and Joel are the future. If Joel is healthy, the upside of our two bigs is as good or better than KAT and Okafor. It's time to build on what we have, we can't trying to get the next best thing that may not be any better than what we have. For the sake of getting the next best thing. We are probably drafting one of Russell, Mudiay, or maybe a Hezonja(spelling) becaues they also have star potential, but at a position of need. Noel and Joel will be here longterm barring injury, get used to it.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Nerlens Noel will be 2014-2015 rookie of the year 

Post#902 » by Ericb5 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:48 pm

bedjawII wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:Noel is going to start at the 4 the rest of the season. That will come with growing pains so I think it will end all ROY chances.

Or think about this with how well Noel is playing over an extended period of time. What if we draft KAT, does Embiid become the odd man out eventually. I think that's a real possibility given Noel development and his play at the 5. They could very well let Embiid play next year, prove he's healthy and get a king's ransom or KD ( :roll: )for him. Then you don't have to worry about the health issue either. Either way the development of NN into an elite big-man, in just his rookie year, is unforeseen and just the type of break required for Hinkie to deliver a contender.

No way. If Embiid is not healthy then he won't be worth a king's ransom to other teams, and if he IS healthy he is the future of this franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
guitarpath
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#903 » by guitarpath » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:05 pm

Hinkie is in total rebuild mode. He should draft the player with the most upside. If he has the #1 overall pick and he estimates that Towns has the most upside in the draft, then he should draft him and worry about building the roster later. This is especially true given Embiid's health concerns.

I happen to think that the player with the greatest upside in the draft is Emmanuel Mudiay. He has the athleticism and skill set required to develop into a star PG.

I also think that both Noel and Embiid have greater upside than either Okafor or Towns. I'll put it this way: If the draft featured Embiid, Noel, Okafor, and Towns, which player would you take with the #1 overall pick?

Honestly, my choice (based on upside and star potential) would be:

1. Embiid
2. Noel
3. Towns
4. Okafor
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#904 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:17 pm

guitarpath wrote:Hinkie is in total rebuild mode. He should draft the player with the most upside. If he has the #1 overall pick and he estimates that Towns has the most upside in the draft, then he should draft him and worry about building the roster later. This is especially true given Embiid's health concerns.

I happen to think that the player with the greatest upside in the draft is Emmanuel Mudiay. He has the athleticism and skill set required to develop into a star PG.

I also think that both Noel and Embiid have greater upside than either Okafor or Towns. I'll put it this way: If the draft featured Embiid, Noel, Okafor, and Towns, which player would you take with the #1 overall pick?

1. Embiid
2. Noel
3. Towns
4. Okafor

I love your enthusiasm and I love Noel's growth too but I would rank them in this order.
1. Embiid
2. Towns
3. Okafor
4. Noel
guitarpath
Sophomore

Post#905 » by guitarpath » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:38 pm

An argument can be made that if they are intent on keeping Noel (he is a future DPOY in-waiting), the only one of the remaining three players above who can realistically play with him is Embiid due to his outside shooting ability.
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#906 » by TigerInYourTank » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:46 pm

Coast wrote:While Nerlens development over the latter half of the year has been uplifting, in no way would he supplant Embiid in the plans to build a contender. Embiid is just so much more offensively gifted and has such a higher ceiling for them to just roll with Noel.

Well, Noel is one hell of a backup plan, then. Seriously, Noel has All-NBA written all over him to be doing this at age 20.
FreesFro
Pro Prospect
And1: 274

Post#907 » by FreesFro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:39 am

Wow. How many shots did Noel have that just rolled off the rim? He was 7-18 tonight, threw up one awful shot, but the rest were hanging on the rim and fell out instead of in. Or am I a crazy homer?
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,943

Post#908 » by Mik317 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:53 am

I don't think Towns or Okafor are any better fits with Embiid. Offensively Towns works the best but I am not sold on his or Embiid's ability to guard the perimeter. Towns and Noel however could work the best overall (as a combo). Okafor is just a poor fit all around (Noel could help him out defensively tho).

I still think someone gets moved if we are as "unlucky (trolololol) to "have" to take one of the top bigs.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Nerlens Noel will be 2014-2015 rookie of the year 

Post#909 » by Ericb5 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:09 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:
guitarpath wrote:Hinkie is in total rebuild mode. He should draft the player with the most upside. If he has the #1 overall pick and he estimates that Towns has the most upside in the draft, then he should draft him and worry about building the roster later. This is especially true given Embiid's health concerns.

1. Embiid
2. Noel
3. Towns
4. Okafor

I love your enthusiasm and I love Noel's growth too but I would rank them in this order.
1. Embiid
2. Towns
3. Okafor
4. Noel

Agreed. That is exactly how I would rank them too, although Noel has closed the gap on Okafor over the last month.

If we get the first or second pick then we should take Towns and Okafor in that order.

It probably WOULD have to necessitate a trade down the road, but you just figure it out later.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#910 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:11 am

Noel continues to impress me....19-14-4-1-1

Kid still hasn't even scratched the surface offensively. He's got some serious upside if he can continue to polish up his offense and get stronger.Add some legitimate talent around him and Noel could be a big time part of our future. Really hope we keep this kid around for the long haul and Hinkie doesn't try to get "cute"....Kids a potential stud developing before our eyes.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#911 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:22 am

"After averaging 11 points, eight boards and three blocks per game in February, in the month of March, Noel went beast mode. In March, Noel is averaging 14 points and 11 boards with two steals and two blocks per game. He’s the youngest player in NBA history to record a game with 20 points, 10 rebounds, five steals, and three blocks. His numbers are destroying the previous rookie seasons of highly regarded big men, except David Robinson and Tim Duncan. He’s doing something right.
Noel has come a long way this season offensively, but defensively he’s been a revelation. He’s holding opponents to 47% from the field and faces almost 13 shots per game. Noel is currently 20th in Defensive Real Plus Minus and of centers who face at least 16 shots per game, Noel is 3rd in opponent FG%. After a career month and a career high game against the Los Angeles Clippers, Sam Hinkie may have found his first keeper.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#912 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:24 am

Also worth noting that the last rookie to average 13+PPP 10+RPG 2+BPG 2+SPG in a month was David Robinson 25 years ago.

Just goes to show you how impressive Noel's month of march has been.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#913 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:34 am

I really don't want to hear anymore talk of Noel being traded...even if we draft Okafor or Towns. It's difficult to find the elite level type of defense he provides. And I think Noel and Embiid would work well together defensively. If you have Towns and Embiid that would be a great combination however I don't see Towns being able to guard outside the paint as well as Noel. Noel is the quickest of Embiid Noel Towns Okafor. As much as I love Towns and think he will be a perennial all star I think he's best playing more down low. He can shoot but he's more of a player who plays 8 feet on in.

Let's please all stop saying Noel could be traded. If anyone ever brings up Noel getting traded again I expect to be hearing we are getting LaMarcus Aldridge or Durant or LeBron coming back. Otherwise no more trade talks.
JoelNoel
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#914 » by JoelNoel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:52 am

Wiggins was -38 tonight. That's incredible.
Payne was the next worse at -16.
guitarpath
Sophomore

Post#915 » by guitarpath » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:00 am

Noel has improved with each month this season. His rookie year has been extremely impressive, especially considering that he is a 20 year old skinny kid.

What kind of player will be be when he is 23 years old and adds 20 pounds of muscle? I see an All-Star and DPOY award winner.

What is Noel's realistic NBA comparable floor and ceiling right now?

Here is mine. Floor: Marcus Camby (a former DPOY award winner). Ceiling: Kevin Garnett.

Honestly, if he ends up somewhere in-between those two, he is a major find for this franchise.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#916 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:18 am

He will never be close to the shooter Garnett was, but I do agree he will be a DPOY candidate for many many years.
MRxBLACK
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,872

Post#917 » by MRxBLACK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:33 am

JoelNoel wrote:Wiggins was -38 tonight. That's incredible.
Payne was the next worse at -16.

That's James Anderson caliber.
ESPN Sucks
kingphilly
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#918 » by kingphilly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:40 am

Unless u get back something of IMMENSE value trading NERL THE PEARL before his rookie contract is up could be quite the mistake

If philly gets towns I dont think there's a need for a trade, as both he and joel can provide at least some midrange spacing for noel

If we draft say second with KAT gone I don't think it would be hard to trade down seeing as the fit isn't as sexy as towns, but again if hinkie panky thinks Okafor is worth holding onto I'm game. Dude hasn't had enough head scratching moves to make me doubt him yet. If everyone declares were getting a good shot at a stud wherever we pick.
King Phillys Snack Board
1- chicken wings
2- pizza
3- chili dog
4- potato chips
5- cheeseburger
kingphilly
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#919 » by kingphilly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:41 am

Man Nerls come on strong to end the year. I honestly think to give the award to wiggins would be a travesty. Almost like when Vince beat out pierce
King Phillys Snack Board
1- chicken wings
2- pizza
3- chili dog
4- potato chips
5- cheeseburger
bedjawII
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#920 » by bedjawII » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:33 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:

1. Embiid
2. Noel
3. Towns
4. Okafor

1. Embiid
2. Towns
3. Okafor
4. Noel

Wow...really? Even after NN second half? Given everything we know as fact today I think I'd argue NN is #1. ANd if you truly believe defense wins CHIPS then definitely NN is #1. All I'm saying is NN has erased almost every doubt or concern people had with him. While the others still have pretty big question marks. And this is from a guy who two months ago was open about how I thought NN was nothing more then mid-level type player. But he's not...he is a difference maker.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers