Richaun Holmes

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

roma258
Analyst
And1: 901

Re: Richaun Holmes 

Post#61 » by roma258 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 5:21 pm

MatthewGeigerII wrote:
PhilasFinest wrote:I like Holmes.Sadly, with Him, Grant, Saric, Embiid, Noel, Okafor possibly in the fold next year = There will simply not be enough minutes for all of them.

i love holmes but you're right in saying there is going to be a log jam next year with minutes.

would you keep him around or if you could get a Delon Wright type of PG prospect for him... would you make that move?

i see on the trades board Toronto wants a new PF. lol

i like holmes so i'm not sure what i would do at all!

I think at this point, I'd rather trade one of our bigger name prospects for bigger return and stick with Holmes.
Liberté, égalité, lotteré
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,802

Post#62 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jan 5, 2016 6:11 pm

KingKyrie1 wrote:
joyeuxnoel wrote:holmes will be a nice big off the bench hes one of the least expendable because hes cheap and noel is going to have to be paid soon healthy embiid + okafor. saric as 6th man, and holmes as 4th big off the bench if i had to trade one big, its noel. he doesnt have the range to play PF on offense while okafor has shown he has the potential to slide to PF and saric is a PF
I don't understand though, Okafor if we are looking at advanced statistics is the worst big in the NBA, how is that possible?

Yeah, but Wiggins is the worst SF at RAPM this year despite obviously being a super talented player. As their creators and users will avidly tell you, most advanced stats aren't ideal tools for evaluating young guys who are learning the game on bad teams. They're not worthless--they can capture some of the real defensive impact someone like Towns has, as well as the all-around game of Porzingis--but they're not going to tell you if a player looks good or what he seems like he'll be able to do in a year or two.

Also, not making any excuses but it's worth pointing out that everyone who was on the Sixers' first unit for the first month of the season is in the bottom 5% of the whole league's RAPM right now. (That unit was a tire fire.) And Okafor's regular statistics--his raw and per-minute production--are actually above league average, and his efficiency is decent. He looks very good in PER and not bad in win shares (WS). A stat like VORP/RAPM--though definitely useful--brings out the very worst aspects of his game while not crediting the good parts. (It punishes you for minutes played and usage at a below average level.)
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,738

Post#63 » by phillynative » Tue Jan 5, 2016 6:13 pm

I think it will be between Holmes and Grant. They are both 4/3. Holmes give you more offense, Grant is the better defender. I think you choose between the two depending on Noel And Jahlil. The idea I had is if we're choosing between Jahlil(w.Grant) Nerlens(w.Holmes).
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#64 » by cksdayoff » Tue Jan 5, 2016 6:38 pm

this sucks, i want to keep both homie and grant. both will be valuable when this team starts contending for the playoffs
#failforfultz
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,738

Post#65 » by phillynative » Tue Jan 5, 2016 6:52 pm

I like them both too. Good character guys who also don't back down from anyone
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#66 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 5, 2016 6:58 pm

Grants plays the 3 and 4 and Holmes plays the 4 and 5. There's some wiggle room to keep both, depending on the way the rest of the roster shakes out. Their positions aren't completely overlapping. Not like Grant and Covington, for instance.
KingKyrie1
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#67 » by KingKyrie1 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 7:01 pm

Richaun Holmes already has a 1.56 WS/48 god damnit, he is gonna be 200 WS/48 by his second year.
roma258
Analyst

Post#68 » by roma258 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 7:08 pm

KingKyrie1 wrote:Richaun Holmes already has a 1.56 WS/48 god damnit, he is gonna be 200 WS/48 by his second year.

Lol, dude you are IN on Holmes. Not that I can blame you, but he's all our dammit! 8-)
76ers
Bench Warmer
And1: 773

Post#69 » by 76ers » Tue Jan 5, 2016 7:15 pm

roma258 wrote:
KingKyrie1 wrote:Richaun Holmes already has a 1.56 WS/48 god damnit, he is gonna be 200 WS/48 by his second year.

Lol, dude you are IN on Holmes. Not that I can blame you, but he's all our dammit! 8-)

I believe he wanted Holmes with the Cavs 2nd round pick, but they selected Rakeem Christmas one pick before Holmes was selected by us.

:P
KingKyrie1
Pro Prospect
And1: 238

Post#70 » by KingKyrie1 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 7:19 pm

76ers wrote:
roma258 wrote:

I believe he wanted Holmes with the Cavs 2nd round pick, but they selected Rakeem Christmas one pick before Holmes was selected by us.

:P

That's the truth, I was scouting him all summer, and I'm sure he would have helped Cavs even more than he has helped you guys.
He would have made Thompson redundant and Holmes with LBJ and the other playmakers on the team would have been amazing to watch so i'm salty and i'm half your fan.

It happens alot for me cause I'm a great scout so I'm salty often when it comes to drafting since i'm a Cavs fan.
You also have Noel and he should have been a Cav aswell so this would have been pretty scary.

Baha :(
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#71 » by Ericb5 » Tue Jan 5, 2016 8:53 pm

I like Holmes too, but can't we avoid the pitfall that happens all the time where someone without a pedigree does well in a limited role, and then we start falling in love with them and start making assumptions about what they will be?

The only thing that Holmes has earned at this point is playing time, and we shouldn't expect anything more than that from him until he proves a lot more.

If some sort of injuries forced him to play 30 minutes a night for 20 games or so, and he played with the same efficiency and production then we can start thinking about him as a future piece. For now, he is an afterthought.

He is a young kid showing potential. The whole idea of "He does X with 10 minutes, so he will do Y with 30 minutes" is completely flawed.

IMO the evaluation process for him should be like this:

1. Is he an NBA player?

I think that he has shown that he belongs in the league, and has a future.

2. Can he fill a top 7-8 rotation role on a good team?

Maybe, but still an open question.

3. Can he be a starter, and play starter's minutes?

No idea

4. Can he be a star?

No idea

5. Can he be a franchise player?

No idea.

With people like Noel or Okafor, the first 3 questions are rock solid. I would say with Grant that he, like Holmes, is in the middle of trying to prove the second question, and I would say that he is ahead of Holmes on that one so far.

Holmes and Grant are both nice prospects to have, but neither of them should really be part of the equation in terms of how we think about the state of our team.
roma258
Analyst

Post#72 » by roma258 » Wed Jan 6, 2016 3:46 pm

Ericb5 wrote:I like Holmes too, but can't we avoid the pitfall that happens all the time where someone without a pedigree does well in a limited role, and then we start falling in love with them and start making assumptions about what they will be?

The only thing that Holmes has earned at this point is playing time, and we shouldn't expect anything more than that from him until he proves a lot more.

If some sort of injuries forced him to play 30 minutes a night for 20 games or so, and he played with the same efficiency and production then we can start thinking about him as a future piece. For now, he is an afterthought.

He is a young kid showing potential. The whole idea of "He does X with 10 minutes, so he will do Y with 30 minutes" is completely flawed.

1. Is he an NBA player?

No idea

4. Can he be a star?

No idea

No idea.

With people like Noel or Okafor, the first 3 questions are rock solid. I would say with Grant that he, like Holmes, is in the middle of trying to prove the second question, and I would say that he is ahead of Holmes on that one so far.

Holmes and Grant are both nice prospects to have, but neither of them should really be part of the equation in terms of how we think about the state of our team.

Agreed with the caveat that none of the other young guys we've gotten excited over have produced at anywhere near the level of efficiency as Holmes. Give the dude more pt and let's see what happens.
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#73 » by ImChillin01 » Wed Jan 6, 2016 5:34 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:This is not a troll question. This is a very serious question. 2 part question.

Question 1: Who is the better play right now?

Question 2: Who would you rather have and think will be the better player going forward?

And I'm comparing Holmes to Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon and Noah Vonleh. 3 guys who some said the Sixers should have taken instead of Embiid.

Hardly anyone said 76ers should of taken Vonleh with #3 pick

Id def rather have AG. Vonleh has the talent but seems to lack work ethic and Randle has more of chance of being star but Holmes will be better fit around stars so on 76ers much rather have Holmes instead of Randle but for team lacking big men or potential stars than def taking Randle.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,524

Post#74 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 6, 2016 6:00 pm

Kind of remind me of Eddie Griffin (RIP) of the Rockets back then. I remember I always wanted him to be traded to the Sixers for snow. Old times
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#75 » by Ericb5 » Wed Jan 6, 2016 6:02 pm

ImChillin01 wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:This is not a troll question. This is a very serious question. 2 part question.

Question 1: Who is the better play right now?

Question 2: Who would you rather have and think will be the better player going forward?

And I'm comparing Holmes to Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon and Noah Vonleh. 3 guys who some said the Sixers should have taken instead of Embiid.

Hardly anyone said 76ers should of taken Vonleh with #3 pick

Id def rather have AG. Vonleh has the talent but seems to lack work ethic and Randle has more of chance of being star but Holmes will be better fit around stars so on 76ers much rather have Holmes instead of Randle but for team lacking big men or potential stars than def taking Randle.

I would take all three of them over Holmes.

With the only question on Vonleh because he hasn't produced yet and I don't know much about his intangibles. If he has red flags about competitiveness, intelligence or character then I might take Holmes.

The thing with Holmes that people need to recognize is that he is a our garbage collector right now that is not a focus of the defense.

He has a shown some real ability, and I am glad to have him, but there is nothing really bankable with him yet. I'll take him over KJ McDaniela though, and that is all that really matters.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#76 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jan 6, 2016 6:04 pm

He's almost a hybrid of Tobias Harris and Taj Gibson. Underrated shot blocker, needs to continue to develop his outside shot. 2 way player with few holes in his game. Perfect depth big for us moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#77 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Jan 6, 2016 6:16 pm

Regarding Holmes:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/684799658955149312[/tweet]
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#78 » by Skates » Wed Jan 6, 2016 7:47 pm

Holmes has nice instincts for offensive rebounding, but on D he is the classic guy who challenges every shot in or near the paint as a help defender and tends to front bigger players when guarding them one on one, which usually leaves him out of good D board position when the shots go up.
SMH
Junior
And1: 96

Post#79 » by SMH » Thu Jan 7, 2016 8:37 am

cksdayoff wrote:this sucks, i want to keep both homie and grant. both will be valuable when this team starts contending for the playoffs

thats gonna be a tough decision if they both continue developing
lotto29
Junior
And1: 66

Re: RE: Re: Richaun Holmes 

Post#80 » by lotto29 » Thu Jan 7, 2016 9:15 am

Ericb5 wrote:I like Holmes too, but can't we avoid the pitfall that happens all the time where someone without a pedigree does well in a limited role, and then we start falling in love with them and start making assumptions about what they will be?

1. Is he an NBA player?

No idea

4. Can he be a star?

No idea

No idea.

Well put together. Your explanation is perfect.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers