ImageImageImage

Sam Hinkie Appreciation Thread [Seriously, thank you Sam]

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,367

Re: Sam Hinkie Appreciation Thread [Seriously, thank you Sam] 

Post#41 » by Eyeamok » Fri Apr 8, 2016 3:25 pm

Made me think about the inner workings of a basketball team more than I ever had.

It was a work of art to see him gut this team and then go all out to try and make it better.

Where before the asset cupboard was empty, he planted seeds, and now the asset cupboard is bountiful and will sprout opportunities for years to come.

He was not flawless, none of us are, but it sure raised the level of intelligent debate on this board when he was GM.

I'm gonna miss that.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
KG_Wolves
Starter
And1: 530

Post#42 » by KG_Wolves » Fri Apr 8, 2016 4:38 pm

I still can't believe Bryan is on his way in, thats nearly as bad as bringing in Billy King or David Kahn for another run

Jerry is a true slime ball/nut job of the highest order
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,471

Post#43 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Apr 8, 2016 7:34 pm

The thing that bothers me most about all of this is Hinkie's "mainfesto" being leaked to the public. Now it's only a rumor that people suspect Jerry to be behind the paper getting out, but if that's true I am disgusted that we have someone like that within our organization. I kind of rolled my eyes when some posters said we should protest, but after hearing about the leak, I agree.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#44 » by Sark » Fri Apr 8, 2016 7:55 pm

oyoyer wrote:I'm really mad this went down because Silver caved to agents, casual fans, and reporters. Who cares what any of them have to say? Reporters don't get to bitch because he doesn't feed them stories, it's their job to find them. Agents don't get to demand he overpay their mediocre clients, his responsibility is to better the team. Casual fans don't get to complain about the integrity of the game, this is competition not entertainment. Go to the theatre or an amusement park if you want to be entertained. I'm sorry Sam the Sixers did you dirty. I will miss your wonderful trade pillagings and the confidence I had in your ability to put this team on the path to greatness.

Silver would never cave to agents, casual fans, and reporters. He caved to the 29 other owners that were pissed Philadelphia was a taker of revenue sharing money, rather than a giver.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#45 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:01 pm

Sark wrote:Silver would never cave to agents, casual fans, and reporters. He caved to the 29 other owners that were pissed Philadelphia was a taker of revenue sharing money, rather than a giver.

Sixers haven't been eligible to receive anything from revenue sharing, teams in the media markets with more than 2.5 million TV households cannot receive payment. In fact, Sixers likely lost money because of revenue sharing.

Since teams contribute to the revenue sharing pool an amount equal to a percentage of their revenue, the league actually makes teams accountable for hitting revenue benchmarks based on market size. If a team falls short on revenue they have to make up that difference. While I don’t have the exact figures of the Sixers revenue sharing contribution, it stands to reason that the Sixers didn’t hit their revenue benchmarks, and thus ended up sending a higher percentage of their revenue towards the league’s revenue sharing program than they normally would have, while getting nothing back from it.

http://nba.derekbodner.com/2014/08/28/how-the-sixers-did-and-didnt-turn-a-profit-last-year/

So, about being a giver...
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Sark
RealGM

Post#46 » by Sark » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:06 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
Sark wrote:Silver would never cave to agents, casual fans, and reporters. He caved to the 29 other owners that were pissed Philadelphia was a taker of revenue sharing money, rather than a giver.

Sixers haven't been eligible to receive anything from revenue sharing, teams in the media markets with more than 2.5 million TV households cannot receive payment. In fact, Sixers likely lose money because of revenue sharing.
Beyond that, since teams contribute to the revenue sharing pool an amount equal to a percentage of their revenue, the league actually makes teams accountable for hitting revenue benchmarks based on market size. If a team falls short on revenue they have to make up that difference. While I don’t have the exact figures of the Sixers revenue sharing contribution, it stands to reason that the Sixers didn’t hit their revenue benchmarks, and thus ended up sending a higher percentage of their revenue towards the league’s revenue sharing program than they normally would have, while getting nothing back from it.

http://nba.derekbodner.com/2014/08/28/how-the-sixers-did-and-didnt-turn-a-profit-last-year/

So, we were actually givers...

Well the pressure came from the owners. Perhaps they feel Philadelphia should be a large contributor, which they should. All the large markets should.

But the pressure for Colangelo came from the owners, not the casual fans. The Commissioners office would not tell a team how to run its business unless the other owners are pissed.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,673

Post#47 » by the_process » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:08 pm

The Coangelos must go. That old man isn't even around the team on a daily basis, and he wants full control? **** him.
the_process
RealGM

Post#48 » by the_process » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:10 pm

Sark wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:

Sixers haven't been eligible to receive anything from revenue sharing, teams in the media markets with more than 2.5 million TV households cannot receive payment. In fact, Sixers likely lose money because of revenue sharing.
Beyond that, since teams contribute to the revenue sharing pool an amount equal to a percentage of their revenue, the league actually makes teams accountable for hitting revenue benchmarks based on market size. If a team falls short on revenue they have to make up that difference. While I don’t have the exact figures of the Sixers revenue sharing contribution, it stands to reason that the Sixers didn’t hit their revenue benchmarks, and thus ended up sending a higher percentage of their revenue towards the league’s revenue sharing program than they normally would have, while getting nothing back from it.

Well the pressure came from the owners. Perhaps they feel Philadelphia should be a large contributor, which they should. All the large markets should.

But the pressure for Colangelo came from the owners, not the casual fans. The Commissioners office would not tell a team how to run its business unless the other owners are pissed.

The Commish stepped in because of the deluge of bad press.
Sark
RealGM

Post#49 » by Sark » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:13 pm

oyoyer wrote:
Sark wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:Sixers haven't been eligible to receive anything from revenue sharing, teams in the media markets with more than 2.5 million TV households cannot receive payment. In fact, Sixers likely lose money because of revenue sharing.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14317233/nba-owners-lobbied-league-office-philadelphia-76ers-changes?sf16684445=1

The 29 other owners were pissed.

Owners routinely complained about the economic drag the 76ers were inflicting on the league as the revenues of one of the largest-market teams -- a franchise expected to contribute more robustly to league revenue-sharing -- sagged. For many teams, games featuring the starless and woeful 76ers as the visiting team have been the lowest-attended of the season, sources said.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:19 pm

Sark wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14317233/nba-owners-lobbied-league-office-philadelphia-76ers-changes?sf16684445=1

Owners routinely complained about the economic drag the 76ers were inflicting on the league as the revenues of one of the largest-market teams -- a franchise expected to contribute more robustly to league revenue-sharing -- sagged. For many teams, games featuring the starless and woeful 76ers as the visiting team have been the lowest-attended of the season, sources said.

ESPN should use their own attendance reports...

2013-14 - http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2014/sort/awayAvg

2014-15 - http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2015/sort/awayAvg

2015-16 - http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
Sark
RealGM

Post#51 » by Sark » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:23 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
Sark wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14317233/nba-owners-lobbied-league-office-philadelphia-76ers-changes?sf16684445=1

ESPN should use their own attendance reports...

2013-14 - http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2014/sort/awayAvg

2014-15 - http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2015/sort/awayAvg

2015-16 - http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

Does that change the fact that the pressure came from the owners?
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Apr 8, 2016 8:48 pm

Sark wrote:Does that change the fact that the pressure came from the owners?

I'm not arguing that, just the reasons that you were citing are bull.
Sark
RealGM

Post#53 » by Sark » Fri Apr 8, 2016 9:06 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:
Sark wrote:Does that change the fact that the pressure came from the owners?

I'm not arguing that, just the reasons that you were citing are bull.

I'm just repeating what I've heard and read.

Josh Harris is one of Adam Silver's bosses. He's not going to tell his boss how to run his business unless the other bosses are involved.

The NBA is essentially a cartel. Each part is supposed to bring in it's share. If members of the cartel feel a certain member is not pulling his weight, they will let him know, and changes will be made. At the end of the day the NBA is a bottom line business, and this decision was more about the economics than anything else.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by CoreyGallagher » Fri Apr 8, 2016 9:09 pm

Sark wrote:I'm just repeating what I've heard and read.

Josh Harris is one of Adam Silver's bosses. He's not going to tell his boss how to run his business unless the other bosses are involved.

The NBA is essentially a cartel. Each part is supposed to bring in it's share. If members of the cartel feel a certain member is not pulling his weight, they will let him know, and changes will be made. At the end of the day the NBA is a bottom line business, and this decision was more about the economics than anything else.

I understand and I wasn't blaming you, I've heard and read it before, I was just clarifying.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#55 » by Winejk » Fri Apr 8, 2016 10:23 pm

Sam Hinkie,

I loved what you did in Philly. You turned the establishment upside down with your brilliance in so many facets. The collection of assets you assembled will never be duplicated again IMO. I loved listening to your press conferences. Your intelligence and thoroughness really shined through whenever I listened to you. I found it refreshing. I'm sorry you will not be able to see your plan to the finish. I really believe the process you set up was going to pay big dividends soon and it would be sustainable for a long time. You were building a dynasty like no other dynasty. I will certainly miss your long range planning which is almost absent in today's society. I wish you the best and I will always be a fan (unless you go to the Celtics or Lakers). I surely hope one day you will be reunited with the Sixers again in better circumstances.

I'm terribly sad right now.

Sincerely,

A Sixer Lifer (I've been a fan since the days of George McInnis and World B Free).
the_process
RealGM

Post#56 » by the_process » Fri Apr 8, 2016 11:35 pm

Sark wrote:
oyoyer wrote:
Sark wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14317233/nba-owners-lobbied-league-office-philadelphia-76ers-changes?sf16684445=1

I can leak any reason I want for changes I want made. According to the Sixers official story, Hinkie resigned and they begged him to stay. Does that ring true? The league office does not want any other teams following the Sixers path, and decided after all the bad press for the Okafor incident they had the opportunity to pressure Harris into changes.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#57 » by 76thBearCub » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:26 am

Sorry if I should not bump this. I'm feeling nostalgic.

Was this the official Sam Hinkie appreciation thread?

If so, shame on us.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#58 » by jbent87 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:03 pm

76thBearCub wrote:Sorry if I should not bump this. I'm feeling nostalgic.

Was this the official Sam Hinkie appreciation thread?

If so, shame on us.

no way. When I saw it pop up today I thought "another one? now? Okay, I guess."
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#59 » by Ericb5 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:46 pm

This thread brings back memories of the darkest time in the rebuild, but the old saying is that it is always darkest before the dawn, and a little over a month later we stuck the landing by winning the lottery. :D
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#60 » by Arsenal » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:58 pm

Sam Hinkie is a martyr. He died (figuratively) for our basketball salvation.

#ThankYouHinkie

Return to Philadelphia 76ers