ImageImageImage

Welcome Furkan Korkmaz

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Samsun85
Freshman
And1: 17

Re: Welcome Furkan Korkmaz 

Post#541 » by Samsun85 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 am

Dude never got a real chance under Brown and some guys are wondering why he was showing attitude lol. For me it looks like Brown doesn't know how to handle EU Guys. Furkan is showing up now and after the season if Brown is still the coach a lot of you guys will blame him for not playing him enough...

Sent from my EML-L29 using RealGM mobile app
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#542 » by Simmons25 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:21 am

Samsun85 wrote:Dude never got a real chance under Brown and some guys are wondering why he was showing attitude lol. For me it looks like Brown doesn't know how to handle EU Guys. Furkan is showing up now and after the season if Brown is still the coach a lot of you guys will blame him for not playing him enough...

Furkan was never going to get playing time ahead of Covington and Redick. He was battling with Shamet for playing time and Shamet was well and truly showing that he was worthy of getting game time and is a better defender than Furkan. Even TJ McConnell has been getting DNP's this year. I would like to have seen Furkan get some minutes but truth is that it wasn't until Covington and Saric were traded and we needed 3 point shooting that he was going to get any game time.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#543 » by mithrandir17 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:27 am

Samsun85 wrote:Dude never got a real chance under Brown and some guys are wondering why he was showing attitude lol. For me it looks like Brown doesn't know how to handle EU Guys. Furkan is showing up now and after the season if Brown is still the coach a lot of you guys will blame him for not playing him enough...

Brett doesnt know how to handle EU guys but his starting PF was Saric?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#544 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:46 am

Told ya’ll this guys is a better shooter than Shamet
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
illyasova
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#545 » by illyasova » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:26 am

The organization made a mistake by declining his option. It's just that simple. The 21 year old 6'8 SG earning 2 mil dolar who has just 100 min experience of NBA would be streaky or not full ready but at the end the coaches would have understood his potential. I hope we would get someone useful in the trade for him
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#546 » by XDevilBoiX » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 am

illyasova wrote:The organization made a mistake by declining his option. It's just that simple. The 21 year old 6'8 SG earning 2 mil dolar who has just 100 min experience of NBA would be streaky or not full ready but at the end the coaches would have understood his potential. I hope we would get someone useful in the trade for him

He’s worth more to us then in a trade plus we need shooters. It is what it is and just keep him to finish out the year and see.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#547 » by 76ciology » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:52 am

XDevilBoiX wrote:
illyasova wrote:The organization made a mistake by declining his option. It's just that simple. The 21 year old 6'8 SG earning 2 mil dolar who has just 100 min experience of NBA would be streaky or not full ready but at the end the coaches would have understood his potential. I hope we would get someone useful in the trade for him

He’s worth more to us then in a trade plus we need shooters. It is what it is and just keep him to finish out the year and see.

Yeah. I think we use him this year then just find a dime a dozen replacement next season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,688

Post#548 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 am

This is another case of a coach completely ignoring euro experience. Korkmaz has been one of Turkey's best players in recent years, having some really big games in some big tournaments, like last year's European Championship. There is simply no explanation of not even trying to put him in the rotation and see what you have, especially for a guy who you HAVE TO figure out, because of his contract situation. What's even more annoying is that you guys desperately needed shooting long before the trade.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#549 » by the_process » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Even if Korkmaz couldn't play, he was only on the books for $2,003,160 next year. That's almost literally ($2,029,463) a 7 year vet min deal. Plus he would still be better bench fodder than some late 2nd rounder or some rando vet because he would have some value as a former first round pick with 2 more cheap rookie years. Use him as trade filler.

The cap space argument doesn't fly because he wasn't making enough to impact it.

What it was was a reaction to Korkmaz demanding a trade and going public about wanting to play more. So, basically, they can be bullied into their personnel decisions. :nonono: Absolute awful decision by Collaborative Effort.
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#550 » by aHealthy3 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Declining Kork's option was an absolutely egregious move...as if we're in a position to just cast away 21 year old athletic 6'7" wings who can shoot the 3 really well. If his 2 mil ended up causing us cap problems I'm sure there are a **** ton of teams who would've gladly taken a flyer on him. He never really had a chance to play but we saw flashes like the 40 point summer league game. And now that he's breaking out a bit I can't even really enjoy it, it sucks. I wish Kork didn't come over a year before he was ready and we could've avoided this situation.

To any CBA experts on here: is there any past precedent of somehow being able to retain him after declining the option? Or is he as good as gone?
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#551 » by gdog2004 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Furkan looks good out there. The team gave up on him too soon. That is on Brett.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#552 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:This is another case of a coach completely ignoring euro experience. Korkmaz has been one of Turkey's best players in recent years, having some really big games in some big tournaments, like last year's European Championship. There is simply no explanation of not even trying to put him in the rotation and see what you have, especially for a guy who you HAVE TO figure out, because of his contract situation. What's even more annoying is that you guys desperately needed shooting long before the trade.

So were blaming the coach for ignoring his "Euro experience" but its the same coach who was utilizing Dario Saric 30+ MPG?

Should we be signing Jimmer for scoring 75 points in China?

Euro experience is nice to see from a young prospect, but it doesn't mean much. The kids been with the team and in practice/camp with them for over a year....doing it then and consistently against NBA competition would likely be more beneficial....which he likely wasn't.

Maybe Korkmaz simply wasn't ready or able of beating out Covington, Redick and Belinelli for minutes last season...and when he did get a few minutes, he didn't make his shots. Even in his stint in the G-League where he got 30+ mpg for 9-10 games, he failed to make shots at a decent rate.

Was declining the option dumb? Yes. (Unless he and his camp went to the front office and stated they wanted out, which is rumored to have happened) at the end of the day, the dudes playing well right now but lets see how this plays out over a reliable stretch of games.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
illyasova
Sophomore

Post#553 » by illyasova » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm

So Kyle Korver is better option for us rather than Korkmaz? The team has just 3 shooters out there JJ, Shamet and Korkmaz. The logical point is increasing his value till the dead line of trade but what you gonna get it back for him? Also, comparing him with veterans is just lack of theory. The potential for 21 year old SG-SF just played 20 NBA matches is over the sky. I will hate to see once he shows up his talent that he's just not a shooter in different jersey.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#554 » by Hipster Doofus » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Can we still keep him after the season ends? One way or another? Or he gone?
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
illyasova
Sophomore

Post#555 » by illyasova » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:40 pm

He's gonna be FA. It means if someone gives him more than 2 mil per a year, he's gone. We can just pay him 2 mil which is his rookie scale money.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#556 » by 51X3RF4N » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Why couldn't we still trade him to a team who is looking to develop him and give him minutes, and willing to resign him in the off-season? A team that shows a commitment to him now, and gives him playing time in their system, would have a better shot at signing him in free agency, no?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#557 » by Arsenal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:29 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:Why couldn't we still trade him to a team who is looking to develop him and give him minutes, and willing to resign him in the off-season? A team that shows a commitment to him now, and gives him playing time in their system, would have a better shot at signing him in free agency, no?

No one will give value for him. The team that has him at the end of the year can not pay more than his $2M option. So that team can easily be outbid by the entire league. So if he's any good, he's gone.
aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Post#558 » by aHealthy3 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Wait, is that really how it works? Because we declined his option, the max we would be able to offer him in UFA is the amount of the option? We couldn't give a bigger offer if we realized it was a mistake? Not saying we would do that, I just didn't know that we wouldn't even have the option to do that.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#559 » by TTP » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:11 am

aHealthy3 wrote:Wait, is that really how it works? Because we declined his option, the max we would be able to offer him in UFA is the amount of the option? We couldn't give a bigger offer if we realized it was a mistake? Not saying we would do that, I just didn't know that we wouldn't even have the option to do that.

Correct, and I believe any team we trade him to faces the same restriction, so a team that's interested in him actually has incentive to NOT trade for him.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#560 » by mithrandir17 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 am

TTP wrote:
aHealthy3 wrote:Wait, is that really how it works? Because we declined his option, the max we would be able to offer him in UFA is the amount of the option? We couldn't give a bigger offer if we realized it was a mistake? Not saying we would do that, I just didn't know that we wouldn't even have the option to do that.

Correct, and I believe any team we trade him to faces the same restriction, so a team that's interested in him actually has incentive to NOT trade for him.

I'm confused by this. If this is true, then what was the incentive of the Nets in trading for Okafor? What if Okafor clicked for the Nets? Then they would not have resigned him?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers