Where is Justin Anderson?

SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Re: Where is Justin Anderson? 

Post#101 » by SparksFly87 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 6:09 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I still don't really like him as a piece. If he's the SF2 on our roster next year, we did a poor job of improving the team over the summer.

It's more of trying to have diverse bets on these 3&D 2 way wings. They are valuable in today's game, but not as easy to acquire as one may guess.

I'm on a constant prowl for defensive three point shot makers. I don't think Anderson is a good bet to fit that mold. He's a bit overrated on the defensive end. Too roguish as opposed to being a great cog in the team scheme. I think he guards 4s well, but not wings or guards. Kind of like Jerami Grant with muscles.

Offensively, he sucks. No ball skills, no scoring ability other than transition buckets and hustle points in the half court.

He'S clearly better than Jerami Grant. He's athletic and blocks shots like him. He also handles the ball and cuts better. Hit threes and hustles way harder. Way better Bball IQ.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#102 » by Kobblehead » Tue Mar 7, 2017 6:17 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:He'S clearly better than Jerami Grant. He's athletic and blocks shots like him. He also handles the ball and cuts better. Hit threes and hustles way harder. Way better Bball IQ.

I wouldn't want either of them in my 2-deep rotation. Justin has no handle and is not a smart basketball player. Ask Carlisle.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#103 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:02 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
SparksFly87 wrote:He'S clearly better than Jerami Grant. He's athletic and blocks shots like him. He also handles the ball and cuts better. Hit threes and hustles way harder. Way better Bball IQ.

I wouldn't want either of them in my 2-deep rotation. Justin has no handle and is not a smart basketball player. Ask Carlisle.

He doesn't need a handle with how the team is being constructed. He does need to be able to hit threes though. Cuts and putbacks will only get you so many points.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#104 » by Kobblehead » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:05 pm

Exactly. And Rick Carlisle realized that and replaced him in the rotation with a more versatile defender with better shooting ability and ball skills in Dorian Finney-Smith.

Justin can go be a decent rotation player on another team. We need to do better here, though.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#105 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:06 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:He could be useful but it all hinges on him developing his 3PT shot. If I remember correctly he shot 45+ percent his last year before coming out so it's doable.

He did but it was only like 100 attempts, and the rest of his shooting sample (college and pros) is pretty big and not at all good. At a quick glance it's about 380 attempts and he's below 30% on them.

Agreed. All I'm saying is there some good data out there. One thing I noticed is he likes to bring the ball down before shooting it.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#106 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:16 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Exactly. And Rick Carlisle realized that and replaced him in the rotation with a more versatile defender with better shooting ability and ball skills in Dorian Finney-Smith.

Justin can go be a decent rotation player on another team. We need to do better here, though.

Well I think Dorian versatility clearly is what has gotten them those extra minutes but I don't think DFS is a better shooter at least not yet. I also don't see the ball skills either.

Honestly, if there was a choice in the trade I'd rather have Anderson. I think the potential is there for him to develop into a rotation piece. DWS is honestly nothing special.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#107 » by Kobblehead » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:25 pm

Neither is anything special, but one has requisite tools to function in his role and the other doesn't.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#108 » by TTP » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:27 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:It's more of trying to have diverse bets on these 3&D 2 way wings. They are valuable in today's game, but not as easy to acquire as one may guess.

I'm on a constant prowl for defensive three point shot makers. I don't think Anderson is a good bet to fit that mold. He's a bit overrated on the defensive end. Too roguish as opposed to being a great cog in the team scheme. I think he guards 4s well, but not wings or guards. Kind of like Jerami Grant with muscles.

Offensively, he sucks. No ball skills, no scoring ability other than transition buckets and hustle points in the half court.

He'S clearly better than Jerami Grant. He's athletic and blocks shots like him. He also handles the ball and cuts better. Hit threes and hustles way harder. Way better Bball IQ.

Grant is younger, shoots better from 3 for his career (though they're both terrible) and has a significantly higher block percentage. I don't think Anderson is clearly better and certainly not clearly better at the things you mentioned.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
GCostanza
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#109 » by GCostanza » Wed Mar 8, 2017 7:34 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:Well I think Dorian versatility clearly is what has gotten them those extra minutes but I don't think DFS is a better shooter at least not yet. I also don't see the ball skills either.

Honestly, if there was a choice in the trade I'd rather have Anderson. I think the potential is there for him to develop into a rotation piece. DWS is honestly nothing special.

DFS:
PPG APG RPG PER
4.5 0.8 2.6 7.97

Anderson:
PPG APG RPG PER
6.8 0.7 3.1 15.14
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#110 » by SparksFly87 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:35 am

Justin Andersons better than Grant. He came right in and fit in Bretts system. He is a smarter ball player. More adept passer , slasher and shooter. Much stronger player than Grant.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#111 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:57 am

SparksFly87 wrote:Justin Andersons better than Grant. He came right in and fit in Bretts system. He is a smarter ball player. More adept passer , slasher and shooter. Much stronger player than Grant.

I agree, not only does he replace Grant, he's an upgrade.
However, I have missed a lot of things that Grant brought to the table. Anderson fills that void, but he's got to develop an outside shot.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#112 » by Arsenal » Thu Mar 9, 2017 2:02 am

If Anderson can hit open 3's he's a nice piece. He needs to work on that with the shooting coaches non-stop this summer. Him, Saric, and Simmons lol.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#113 » by phifans » Thu Mar 9, 2017 2:03 am

Kobblehead wrote:

If JA can consistently put up 10/5 in 20 mins with over 50% percentage like what he has been done since came here why should we worry about his lack of handles or 3 ? Not every wing player must be all 3&D. Just let him do what he's good at.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#114 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:17 am

phifans wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

If JA can consistently put up 10/5 in 20 mins with over 50% percentage like what he has been done since came here why should we worry about his lack of handles or 3 ? Not every wing player must be all 3&D. Just let him do what he's good at.

Honestly his lack of handles doesn't concern me at all. We have Simmons. We'll have drafted a PG. We have Saric. We also have a high usage big in Embiid. The last thing we need is a ball stopping SG who can't shoot. However, if he can't shoot threes it limits his usefulness and creates spacing problems for Embiid and Simmons.

However, if he can he could honestly probably start for us even when we are ready to contend.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#115 » by Kobblehead » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:20 am

phifans wrote:Just let him do what he's good at.

Which is what?

Again, he's not very good at defending on the perimeter. And ontop of that, he doesn't have any redeeming offensive qualities.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#116 » by Kobblehead » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:21 am

Justin Anderson's sole role in this league is guarding isoball small ball fours like Carmelo Anthony and Tobias Harris.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#117 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:50 am

Can finish inside. Not sure who compared him to Jerami Grant, but that's something that he always struggled with while he was here.

Also, looking at the stats, it's funny how much Grant seemed to 'improve' for OKC this season - quite annoying, lol.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 586

Post#118 » by phifans » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:59 am

Kobblehead wrote:
phifans wrote:Just let him do what he's good at.

Which is what?

Again, he's not very good at defending on the perimeter. And ontop of that, he doesn't have any redeeming offensive qualities.

We will see then. I can take a guy who puts up ten per game with high efficiency anyday even if all he does is transition buckets and hustle points. If that's none offensive qualities to you that's fine then that should be some "skills" every nba player possessed which I can't see on many guys around this league.
kukenotas
Junior
And1: 71

Post#119 » by kukenotas » Thu Mar 9, 2017 11:56 pm

Please explain me why we need him to be on this team?

Sent from my LG-H811 using RealGM mobile app
SparksFly87
Assistant Coach

Post#120 » by SparksFly87 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 am

Strong players with high motors that are eaget to hustle and play defense with always be welcome here. Also 2 years left on rookie deal. Give him a chance.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers