Where is Justin Anderson?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Re: Where is Justin Anderson? 

Post#61 » by tk76 » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:23 pm

I was interested to see if they could play combinations of JA, Roco and TLC on the floor, given they all have poor handles. But I guess tLc and Roco have improved a bit. In fact, there were stretches where TLC was handling the ball a lot, and was passable. I guess having an safety valve like Saric (and eventually a true point F like Simmons) helps you get away with these lineups.

Another factor is BBIQ. Many poor ballhandlers also have low BBIQ. But it looks like all 3 of these guys play smart, cut well off the ball and can make quick decisions os passers. So their lack of a handle is less of an issue than if they were ball stoppers.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,535

Post#62 » by 76ciology » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:36 pm

tk76 wrote:I was interested to see if they could play combinations of JA, Roco and TLC on the floor, given they all have poor handles. But I guess tLc and Roco have improved a bit. In fact, there were stretches where TLC was handling the ball a lot, and was passable. I guess having an safety valve like Saric (and eventually a true point F like Simmons) helps you get away with these lineups.

Another factor is BBIQ. Many poor ballhandlers also have low BBIQ. But it looks like all 3 of these guys play smart, cut well off the ball and can make quick decisions os passers. So their lack of a handle is less of an issue than if they were ball stoppers.

I notice when we pull something with that kind of line-up off, teams would just switch the screens since all of them are poor ISO players. Defensively, I like the versatility though.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,107

Post#63 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:41 pm

tk76 wrote:I was interested to see if they could play combinations of JA, Roco and TLC on the floor, given they all have poor handles. But I guess tLc and Roco have improved a bit. In fact, there were stretches where TLC was handling the ball a lot, and was passable. I guess having an safety valve like Saric (and eventually a true point F like Simmons) helps you get away with these lineups.

See, I'm not there yet. I think Timo leaves a lot to be desired on both ends in terms of his basketball IQ and court awareness. I'm hoping most of that is just culture shock and rookie transitioning period.

Also, with Justin, his basketball IQ (particularly in terms of fitting into a team defensive scheme) has been called into question in Dallas. Part of the reason Dorian Finney-Smith took his spot in the rotation.
jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#64 » by jsa » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:45 pm

I suspect Andeson had his best shooting night of the year against the Knickerbockers. But I did like is effort, defense against a tough stop in Anthony, hustle and rebounding as a SF. Those parts are more sustainable.

One has to hope for 1 or 2 shooters in the 2017 draft, as well as Kormaz when/if he comes over. If players like Monk or Smith or even Issacs can slowly earn playing time as scorers, the roster begins to look competitive assuming Embiid and Simmons are healthy.
If they got lucky and got Fultz or Ball, fate could change sooner. Covington/Anderson/TLC is not championship material at SF, but not awful either.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by tk76 » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:48 pm

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with TLC. He makes some bad plays, but they mostly seem to be the correctable type where he is trying to do something that would work on Mega but won't cut it against NBA level players. And even in these mistakes, he often showcases a good first step, spin or vision that could be turned into positives down the line. He has made a bunch of good feeds and seems to have a nice balance as a low usage player who does not force things early in the offense.

As for JA- I really don't know much about him. He looks like a guy who can make good decsions either without the ball or when he is set. But looks to be more spastic when he tries to make decisions while dribbling. But that's just my initial improssion as a Sixer. And I'm guessing that improves with comfort level.

My hope is that JA is the type of player like Holmes, whose positives can really be unlocked by playing with Simmons (and a lesser extent Saric.) Superior athletes who are aggressive cutters and finishers really can blossom next to someone like Simmons. And I'm hoping that is why BC went and got him. But maybe I'm overselling BC in this, as overall it was a weak trade.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#66 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:49 pm

Agreed but lets be honest here moving forward we are likely going to draft a PG and have Simmons play PF full time. Unless it's Embiid I want the rest of the team to make quick decisions and get the ball out of their hands ASAP.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by tk76 » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:54 pm

jsa wrote:I suspect Andeson had his best shooting night of the year against the Knickerbockers. But I did like is effort, defense against a tough stop in Anthony, hustle and rebounding as a SF. Those parts are more sustainable.

I actually think we might see a lot more good shooting from JA down the stretch. He seems like a guy driven by energy, and likely only gets into a good shooting rhythm if he is fully engaged in the action. This would explain his great final year at UVA, where he was a centerpiece of the team, and partly why he has struggled so much as a low minute role player.

You can tell that getting big minutes against Melo really got JA going last night. And I expect that there will be lots of opportunity in the next few months for JA to be fully involved in similar roles, and it ight help his shooting come around. BB has been working RoCo into the ground as both top defender and shooter. I think Henderson will be shut down soon, and that will leave a big opportunity for JA to step into that role, given Nik is not a defender and TLC is physically not ready to be that guy.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#68 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Mar 4, 2017 6:41 pm

I think Anderson can be a more athletic PJ Tucker. If he develops his shot more, he could become more but even if so, that's still a really solid role player on a winning team.

Tough, physical man to man defender.
Rebounds well for a wing.
Will run the floor and finish around the cup.
Streaky average 3PT shooter
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#69 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Mar 4, 2017 7:57 pm

I loved it that he didn't back down from Melo. Dude has some moxie, we have kind of lacked that. Brett didn't seem pleased though.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#70 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Mar 4, 2017 8:55 pm

That would be pretty sweet if Anderson developed into a starting caliber player ala Jae Crowder. His 7'0" wingspan along with Covington's 7'2" on the wings would be crazy.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,473

Post#71 » by youngcrev » Sat Mar 4, 2017 8:55 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:I think Anderson can be a more athletic PJ Tucker. If he develops his shot more, he could become more but even if so, that's still a really solid role player on a winning team.

Tough, physical man to man defender.
Rebounds well for a wing.
Will run the floor and finish around the cup.
Streaky average 3PT shooter

I could see that. Also reminds me a bit of Devean George.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#72 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Mar 4, 2017 9:03 pm

76thBearCub wrote:I loved it that he didn't back down from Melo. Dude has some moxie, we have kind of lacked that. Brett didn't seem pleased though.

I think Brett was just trying to end it to avoid any further Tech's/ Him getting ejected.

He was saying "Its F****ing over". While I'm sure he wasn't thrilled with the technical foul, I doubt he minded having a player getting physical and into the head of the teams best player.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#73 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Mar 4, 2017 9:05 pm

tk76 wrote:
jsa wrote:I suspect Andeson had his best shooting night of the year against the Knickerbockers. But I did like is effort, defense against a tough stop in Anthony, hustle and rebounding as a SF. Those parts are more sustainable.

I actually think we might see a lot more good shooting from JA down the stretch. He seems like a guy driven by energy, and likely only gets into a good shooting rhythm if he is fully engaged in the action. This would explain his great final year at UVA, where he was a centerpiece of the team, and partly why he has struggled so much as a low minute role player.

You can tell that getting big minutes against Melo really got JA going last night. And I expect that there will be lots of opportunity in the next few months for JA to be fully involved in similar roles, and it ight help his shooting come around. BB has been working RoCo into the ground as both top defender and shooter. I think Henderson will be shut down soon, and that will leave a big opportunity for JA to step into that role, given Nik is not a defender and TLC is physically not ready to be that guy.

Yup. Consistent minutes and a role can go a long way with a players development. Its hard to find a "groove" when your playing 10 minutes 1 day, 20 another and then sitting for a game. As with Dario, with steady minutes/role, success can come.

Anderson fits our play style much more then Dallas'.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,718

Post#74 » by 76thBearCub » Sat Mar 4, 2017 10:24 pm

PhilasFinest wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:I loved it that he didn't back down from Melo. Dude has some moxie, we have kind of lacked that. Brett didn't seem pleased though.

I think Brett was just trying to end it to avoid any further Tech's/ Him getting ejected.

He was saying "Its F****ing over". While I'm sure he wasn't thrilled with the technical foul, I doubt he minded having a player getting physical and into the head of the teams best player.

Yea your probably right. I couldn't tell what he was saying.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#75 » by Ericb5 » Sun Mar 5, 2017 6:07 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:That would be pretty sweet if Anderson developed into a starting caliber player ala Jae Crowder. His 7'0" wingspan along with Covington's 7'2" on the wings would be crazy.

Is Covington's wingspan really 7'2?

I didn't realize that. Man, how did he go undrafted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#76 » by 51X3RF4N » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:02 pm

I think with RoCo, Anderson, TLC, and one more 3&D combo PG/SG from the draft or free agency, the roster is pretty much looking good in terms of fit with Simmons.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#77 » by HotelVitale » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:49 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:That would be pretty sweet if Anderson developed into a starting caliber player ala Jae Crowder. His 7'0" wingspan along with Covington's 7'2" on the wings would be crazy.
Is Covington's wingspan really 7'2? I didn't realize that. Man, how did he go undrafted?

It is. Standing reach is nearly 9 ft, and he shot about 40% from 3 in college. Guess he just slipped through the cracks.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#78 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Mar 5, 2017 8:08 pm

Ericb5 wrote:

Is Covington's wingspan really 7'2?

I didn't realize that. Man, how did he go undrafted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's huge for his height. He's 6'6" without shoes.
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#79 » by gdog2004 » Mon Mar 6, 2017 1:21 am

I didnt see the game last night, was Anderson a factor at all ?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,535

Post#80 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 6, 2017 1:59 am

Read on Twitter

Great thread on breaking down JA's weird shooting
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers