ImageImageImage

2018 Pick Watch (Philly, LAL 1 or 6-30, etc)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,718

Re: 2018 Pick Watch (Philly, LAL 1 or 6-30, etc) 

Post#281 » by the_process » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
the_process wrote:Fultz would've been gone at 2 had Boston passed on him. So then BC either takes Lonzo or Josh Jackson.

I know there are plenty on the board who would've been way happier with that, but I'll take Fultz along with the chance that the Laker pick doesn't convey 8 days a week.

The Lakers were not going to take Fultz over Ball. Come on.

So you really believe Boston would have taken Tatum at #1?

Boston passed on Fultz because it would have been seen as letting IT go. That, in turn, would've basically ruled out them signing Hayward. But Tatum was not their target, he was a fall back.

The Lakers were known at the time to love Fultz, and even tried to trade up to #1 to take him. That's not to say they weren't happy with the fall back position of Ball, as well.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#282 » by Unbreakable99 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:33 am

the_process wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
The Lakers were not going to take Fultz over Ball. Come on.

Boston passed on Fultz because it would have been seen as letting IT go. That, in turn, would've basically ruled out them signing Hayward. But Tatum was not their target, he was a fall back.

The Lakers were known at the time to love Fultz, and even tried to trade up to #1 to take him. That's not to say they weren't happy with the fall back position of Ball, as well.

So you're agreeing with me that Ainge was not taking Fultz no matter what. Thank you. Fultz was falling to 3.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#283 » by Ericb5 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:04 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:
the_process wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

So you're agreeing with me that Ainge was not taking Fultz no matter what. Thank you. Fultz was falling to 3.

I said early on post lottery that I thought that there was a better chance of Fultz lasting to 3 than Ball. However, if the Sixers didn't trade up for him, someone else may have.

Since Bryan made up his mind that he wanted Fultz, and he had the ammunition to do it, it became a sensible thing to do, to ensure that he got his man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the_process
RealGM

Post#284 » by the_process » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:04 am

Ericb5 wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
the_process wrote:

I said early on post lottery that I thought that there was a better chance of Fultz lasting to 3 than Ball. However, if the Sixers didn't trade up for him, someone else may have.

Since Bryan made up his mind that he wanted Fultz, and he had the ammunition to do it, it became a sensible thing to do, to ensure that he got his man.

This exactly. Just because Boston wasn't taking him doesn't mean there was any way he was falling to 3.
Mrcrockpots
Junior
And1: 172

Post#285 » by Mrcrockpots » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:53 am

It's going to be painful to watch Bamba rise to the top this year. I live only a few minutes away from where he played HS ball and didn't go over to see him play once. Very frustrating.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#286 » by Kolkmania » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 am

Mrcrockpots wrote:It's going to be painful to watch Bamba rise to the top this year. I live only a few minutes away from where he played HS ball and didn't go over to see him play once. Very frustrating.

It's not just Bamba, their high school team was absolutely amazing. Cameron Reddish is on the team as well and I think he's one of the top three prospects of the 2019 class with Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett. You can still see him this year and avoid a similar regret next year. :wink:
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#287 » by smittybanton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:29 am

Eight teams (de)constructed for the 2018 Draft:
CHI, ATL, PHX, SAC, BKN, IND, NYK ... ORL?

Celtics are not getting that pick!

We'll be picking around #8 and #17

Might could get that Miles Bridges...
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#288 » by Chris76 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:19 am

smittybanton wrote:Eight teams (de)constructed for the 2018 Draft:

I hope your right, but it could be close.

Chi, Atl, Ind, Bkn, and Sac.........the bottom 5
Orl, Nyk, Phx, and Lakers..........the next tier
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#289 » by smittybanton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Chris76 wrote:

I think that's right. Once playoffs are out of sight and these young bigs start put up some highlights, the other three will throw in the towel, I think.

Knicks have no point guard. As we know, that is surreptitious tanking. Phoenix have absolutely no chance at the playoffs in the West, will probably trade Bledsoe at some point. I never have any idea what Orlando is doing.

Meanwhile, the Lakers want to build through free agency, so they want to win as many games and build as much excitement as possible.

Moving DRussell and getting a fair return for him, then taking Ball (and Kuzma), and I expect Brandon Ingram to take a step forward. Julius Randle, Clarkson, Nance--they're not terrible. Brook Lopez shooting threes is interesting.
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#290 » by smittybanton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Chris76 wrote:

CHI - Michael Porter
ATL - Mohammed Bamba
IND - Marvin Bagley
BKN - DeAndre Ayton
SAC - Luka Doncic
ORL - Collin Sexton
NYK - Miles Bridges
PHX - Robert Williams
PHI/LAL - ???? Trevon Duval ???? Hamadou Diallo ????
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,908

Post#291 » by Wilfried » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Think Phoenix (if Bledsoe is healthy) could be better than the Lakers.

And let's hope that playing in the east gives Orlando more W's than LA too

Indiana is not that bad (Collison - Oladipo - Young - Jefferson - Turner - ...). They will be better than most people think (and again, they play in the east, so they have some very mediocre teams to face)

To me:
Bottom 5
Chicago
Atlanta
New York
Sacramento
Brooklyn

Then:
Lakers
Indiana
Phoenix
Dallas
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#292 » by Sixerscan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Knicks won't be at the bottom unless they trade Melo or he falls off a cliff. Having a guy take up that many possessions at around average efficiency plus Porzingis is enough to be above that.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#293 » by shawn_hemp » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
the_process wrote:

Danny Ainge tell you that?
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#294 » by smittybanton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Sixerscan wrote:Knicks won't be at the bottom unless they trade Melo or he falls off a cliff. Having a guy take up that many possessions at around average efficiency plus Porzingis is enough to be above that.

True. I have him written off as traded. And it doesn't seem like they're getting much more than Ryan Anderson in return, even if they find a third team.
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#295 » by smittybanton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:16 pm

Wilfried wrote:Think Phoenix (if Bledsoe is healthy) could be better than the Lakers.

And let's hope that playing in the east gives Orlando more W's than LA too

Indiana is not that bad (Collison - Oladipo - Young - Jefferson - Turner - ...). They will be better than most people think (and again, they play in the east, so they have some very mediocre teams to face)

To me:
Bottom 5
Chicago
Atlanta
New York
Sacramento
Brooklyn

Then:
Lakers
Indiana
Phoenix
Dallas

Indiana could win more games than they ought to, in the weak East. But Collison is a tank commander in my opinion. Jefferson is the huge weakness, and this draft has a couple stud PFs at the top. Why risk the ping pong balls?

Phoenix needs everything to come together to be better than LA. They've provided no answers at C--still counting on Chandler and Williams, with Alex Len unsigned. If Marquese can hold down the five without fouling out in under sixteen minutes, they could surprise. Suns need one of these 5s in the 2018 draft, pretty desperately. DeAndre Ayton is going to Arizona. Perfect fit.

They both were terrible last year. Since then, the Suns added Jackson, and nothing else. The Lakers got rid of a cancer, brought in a center who is better than anything the Suns have. Julius Randle is the rebounder you need to put next to three-point shooting Brook Lopez. They also signed Kentavious Caldwell Pope, on a prove it deal.

Solid draft picks in Josh Hart, Kyle Kuzma and Thomas Bryant.

The only way I see the Suns over the Lakers is if Lonzo Ball is a complete bust.

Lonzo Ball, Kentavious Caldwell Pope, Brandon Ingram, Julius Randle, Brook Lopez.
Jordan Clarkson, Luol Deng, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr, Ivica Zubac
Briante Weber, Josh Hart, Kyle Kuzma, Thomas Bryant
the_process
RealGM

Post#296 » by the_process » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:04 am

Teams that are probably worse than the Lakers: Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix, and Brooklyn

Teams that could be better or worse than the Lakers: New York, Indiana, Dallas, Orlando, and Sacramento.

Every other team is likely to be better than the Lakers. So that pick pre-lotto ends up somewhere between 5-10 in my estimation. And has somewhere between a 70.8% and a 96% chance of being the Sixers pick.
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#297 » by smittybanton » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 am

Vegas speaks:

1 - CHI21.5,
2- ATL25.5,
3 - BKN28.5,
4 - PHX28.5,
5 - SAC28.5,
6 - NYK30.5,
7 - IND31.5,
8 - ORL33.5,
9 - LAL33.5,

10 - DAL35.5,
11 - MEM37.5,
12 - DET38.5
13 - NO39.5,
SIXERS42.5
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#298 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:22 am

smittybanton wrote:Vegas speaks:

1 - CHI21.5,
2- ATL25.5,
3 - BKN28.5,
4 - PHX28.5,
5 - SAC28.5,
6 - NYK30.5,
7 - IND31.5,
8 - ORL33.5,
9 - LAL33.5,

10 - DAL35.5,
11 - MEM37.5,
12 - DET38.5
13 - NO39.5,
SIXERS42.5

Wow. 42.5 is a good number, and I think it is accurate for an over/under, and I'd take the over if we have a normal season from our big three from a health perspective.

spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,989

Post#299 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Sep 4, 2017 2:38 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:
the_process wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Ainge would have taken Fultz I think. They were already SF heavy at the time with Brown and Crowder. Also with IT injury Fultz filled a huge need plus longterm I don't think Ainge viewed him as a max guy.

The reason why he didn't was for the simple reason is he wanted to acquire one of the big names and knew he was going to use almost his entire warchest to do so. So he made the move preemptively to sort of restock things. He's actually extremely lucky the irving situation came about because he was pretty screwed at PG which is why he gave up more assets then he offered for either George or Butler
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#300 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Sep 5, 2017 2:06 pm

^^^Yea the Kyrie trade made me wonder why Boston didn't just take Fultz if they knew IT was injured...Tatum is def redundant with Brown/Crowder, and they could have packaged IT + BKN pick for another player instead (interior defender, rebounder, etc.) I feel like sometimes he just makes deals for the sake of it.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Philadelphia 76ers