ImageImageImage

2018 Pick Watch (Philly, LAL 1 or 6-30, etc)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Att
Senior
And1: 162

Re: 2018 Pick Watch (Philly, LAL 1 or 6-30, etc) 

Post#241 » by Att » Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:58 pm

Cokeleaf wrote:
Chris76 wrote:
Att wrote:The Fultz trade is a disaster. I don't think he's worth that. I do hope that the Lakers somehow end up being worse than the 6 spot.

A disaster seems wrong, the Sixers drafted a dynamic Pg that fits perfectly with our other players. Boston got a great prospect in Tatum. The Sixers were lucky that IT had his best year ever and he is going to get paid. Tatum fits better with their core, a good trade for both, far from a disaster.

Would you have Markelle Fultz who was the consensus top pick and an amazing fit with Simmons, Embiid and the rest of the team. Or would you have Josh Jackson (who I feel sixers would have selected) and some guy with the 5th pick next year?

I don't think the Sixers would have selected Jackson and if they did, it would have been a mistake. The trade is good only if Fultz is by far the best player in the draft. He's not. I would be pleasantly surprised if he's in the top3 of the draft, a few years down the line.
Att
Senior

Post#242 » by Att » Tue Aug 1, 2017 9:59 pm

Chris76 wrote:
Att wrote:The Fultz trade is a disaster. I don't think he's worth that. I do hope that the Lakers somehow end up being worse than the 6 spot.

A disaster seems wrong, the Sixers drafted a dynamic Pg that fits perfectly with our other players. Boston got a great prospect in Tatum. The Sixers were lucky that IT had his best year ever and he is going to get paid. Tatum fits better with their core, a good trade for both, far from a disaster.

Convient, to forget about the draft pick we handed out.
europeanfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#243 » by europeanfan » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:53 pm

Fultz is gonna be amazing. Much more worried about Embiid's injuries and Ben Simmons' broken shot than about anything related to Fultz.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#244 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:55 pm

Att wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

Convient, to forget about the draft pick we handed out.

So let's do the trade in reverse when the Sixers had 1 and the Celtics 3. You'd have been happy if the Sixers traded Simmons for Brown (or Dunn more likely) and the Brooklyn pick with similar protections? So we wouldn't have gotten the pick this year since it would be top 1 protected like we did so we'd be sitting here with no Simmons and instead have Brown and next year's Brooklyn pick unless its No. 1 in which case we get screwed and take Boston's pick. Something tells me you'd be complaining even more in that situation than you are now.

And wait just a darn minute, aren't you the guy that called everyone delusional for thinking the Lakers pick would be in the top 10 after they started 10-10?

Att wrote:I, once again, tell you that you're delusional even when you think we can get a top10 pick from the Lakers :(

But let's talk about this pick you're so sure is going to be premium. Last year, you were convinced the power of Luke Walton alone would get them to 40 wins.

Att wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:Lol at everyone thinking that the Lakers are just gonna win 40 games on the back of lou will and nick young. I say 30 is where they end up. Could see them selling high on vet guys at the deadline to get value our while they can.

They are winning 40 games with with Luck Walton. Just watch and see.

Now, having upgraded Russell to Ball and Mozgov to Lopez (lol), obviously you must think Walton will push this team to 50 wins.

So unless you were very very wrong about just about everything last year, the Lakers pick next year is not worth a ton.

So you're this upset that the Sacramento pick in two years will be both premium and not No. 1?

Carry on.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#245 » by Chris76 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 11:17 pm

europeanfan wrote:Fultz is gonna be amazing. Much more worried about Embiid's injuries and Ben Simmons' broken shot than about anything related to Fultz.

I wouldn't worry too much about Simmons' shot, he'll figure it out. He'll be judged on assists, rebounds, and defense. He has very good shooters with Fultz, Redick, and Covington to take 3s. Unfortunately, injury concerns will always be something to consider, but Embiid should be as healthy or even more than he's ever been. Nutrition, exercise, and other things the coaches have worked with him to improve, hopefully lets him have a long career. Anyway, if Fultz has an amazing year, that draft pick loss will be justified.
Mrcrockpots
Junior
And1: 172

Post#246 » by Mrcrockpots » Tue Aug 1, 2017 11:28 pm

Hoarding draft picks is Danny Ainge mentality. You can only have so many top picks and players on a team at once. We cashed in a premiere guard that can shoot and fits with our top 2 players. The trade was a no brainer at the time and now. It blows my mind that people think otherwise. Seriously.
Chris76
Sixth Man

Post#247 » by Chris76 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:51 am

Mrcrockpots wrote:Hoarding draft picks is Danny Ainge mentality. You can only have so many top picks and players on a team at once. We cashed in a premiere guard that can shoot and fits with our top 2 players. The trade was a no brainer at the time and now. It blows my mind that people think otherwise. Seriously.

Fultz................Ray Allen/Kobe
Redick
Covington
Simmons............Magic/Blake Griffin
Embiid...............Hakeem

If they play to their potential.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#248 » by Ericb5 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 3:33 am

Att wrote:
Cokeleaf wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

Would you have Markelle Fultz who was the consensus top pick and an amazing fit with Simmons, Embiid and the rest of the team. Or would you have Josh Jackson (who I feel sixers would have selected) and some guy with the 5th pick next year?

I don't think the Sixers would have selected Jackson and if they did, it would have been a mistake. The trade is good only if Fultz is by far the best player in the draft. He's not. I would be pleasantly surprised if he's in the top3 of the draft, a few years down the line.

That is too high a standard. He doesn't have to be by far the best player in the draft. He just has to be a very good/great player for it to be worth it because he gets major fit points on this roster.

If Jackson or Ball end up being better than him, it doesn't mean that the deal was a mistake, even though I agree that the trade will likely work out to a loser on pure points. We can afford to overpay for the right player. He just has to be worth the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mrcrockpots
Junior

Post#249 » by Mrcrockpots » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:20 am

Chris76 wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:Hoarding draft picks is Danny Ainge mentality. You can only have so many top picks and players on a team at once. We cashed in a premiere guard that can shoot and fits with our top 2 players. The trade was a no brainer at the time and now. It blows my mind that people think otherwise. Seriously.

Redick
Covington

:rock:

It's going to be such a weird feeling when we get that first blowout win of the season. It's also going to be a weird feeling when we lose a regular season game and I'm upset about it. What a world we live in.
Chris76
Sixth Man

Post#250 » by Chris76 » Wed Aug 2, 2017 1:43 pm

Mrcrockpots wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

Redick
Covington

It's going to be such a weird feeling when we get that first blowout win of the season. It's also going to be a weird feeling when we lose a regular season game and I'm upset about it. What a world we live in.

I always wanted them to play well, but lose by a few points. How nice to be able to feel good about wins.
So many people criticized the Sixers record and didn't even watch the games. Small improvements in Covington, Stauskus, Dario and a few others went unnoticed and unappreciated. Anyway, Brett Brown and a few players have some really poor #s, because of the tanking, it would be nice to see their #s improve. BB could go from the worst coach in history to one that has his team win 50+ wins in one season, maybe coach of the year, if that happens.
Mrcrockpots
Junior

Post#251 » by Mrcrockpots » Wed Aug 2, 2017 3:12 pm

Chris76 wrote:
Mrcrockpots wrote:
Chris76 wrote:
Redick
Covington

I always wanted them to play well, but lose by a few points. How nice to be able to feel good about wins.
So many people criticized the Sixers record and didn't even watch the games. Small improvements in Covington, Stauskus, Dario and a few others went unnoticed and unappreciated. Anyway, Brett Brown and a few players have some really poor #s, because of the tanking, it would be nice to see their #s improve. BB could go from the worst coach in history to one that has his team win 50+ wins in one season, maybe coach of the year, if that happens.

Agree 100%. Fingers crossed BB can keep the team playing hard every night like he has the last 2 years.
Att
Senior

Post#252 » by Att » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:50 pm

Ericb5 wrote:
Att wrote:
Cokeleaf wrote:

That is too high a standard. He doesn't have to be by far the best player in the draft. He just has to be a very good/great player for it to be worth it because he gets major fit points on this roster.

If Jackson or Ball end up being better than him, it doesn't mean that the deal was a mistake, even though I agree that the trade will likely work out to a loser on pure points. We can afford to overpay for the right player. He just has to be worth the price.

The first pick of the draft should be the best player. If you're trading up and in that process lose a valuable asset, that means you firmly believe it. If he ends up being just a very nice player, you lost the trade, big time.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#253 » by HotelVitale » Thu Aug 3, 2017 3:00 pm

BullyKing wrote:So let's do the trade in reverse when the Sixers had 1 and the Celtics 3. You'd have been happy if the Sixers traded Simmons for Brown (or Dunn more likely) and the Brooklyn pick with similar protections? So we wouldn't have gotten the pick this year since it would be top 1 protected like we did so we'd be sitting here with no Simmons and instead have Brown and next year's Brooklyn pick unless its No. 1 in which case we get screwed and take Boston's pick. Something tells me you'd be complaining even more in that situation than you are now.
Not a useful hypothetical. Simmons was obviously so so much better as a prospect than Brown/Dunn, while many folks think the top 5 was close to a pick-em this year (even if most would've taken Fultz/Ball at the top). No one in their right mind would've ever argued that it was just as good getting Simmons as Hield or Poeltl--but you could talk most people into seeing why getting DSJ or Fox or Tatum wasn't that much less promising than getting Fultz.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#254 » by Ericb5 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 2:40 am

Att wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
Att wrote:I don't think the Sixers would have selected Jackson and if they did, it would have been a mistake. The trade is good only if Fultz is by far the best player in the draft. He's not. I would be pleasantly surprised if he's in the top3 of the draft, a few years down the line.

The first pick of the draft should be the best player. If you're trading up and in that process lose a valuable asset, that means you firmly believe it. If he ends up being just a very nice player, you lost the trade, big time.

That doesn't need to be the case when he is going to be your third best player. We already have two stars, so getting the best player isn't the deal breaker that it was in previous years.

We can lose the trade on points, but win it overall if he turns into an allstar level compliment to Simmons and Embiid.

GabeCerebro
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#255 » by GabeCerebro » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:17 am

Att wrote:
Cokeleaf wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

I don't think the Sixers would have selected Jackson and if they did, it would have been a mistake. The trade is good only if Fultz is by far the best player in the draft.

No, it isn't. Absurd to think that.
GabeCerebro
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#256 » by GabeCerebro » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:24 am

Att wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:
Att wrote:I don't think the Sixers would have selected Jackson and if they did, it would have been a mistake. The trade is good only if Fultz is by far the best player in the draft. He's not. I would be pleasantly surprised if he's in the top3 of the draft, a few years down the line.

lmao at you ignoring the post of you getting obliterated.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#257 » by BullyKing » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:33 pm

GabeCerebro wrote:
Att wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:

lmao at you ignoring the post of you getting obliterated.

I noticed that as well.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Chris76
Sixth Man

Post#258 » by Chris76 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 1:32 pm

The ESPN rankings have the Lakers finishing around the 10th worst. Good chance we get 2 picks, next year. Maybe, the 10th and 12th. However, the Sixers could do much better, if adding 3 stars and Redick works well. Our pick may land around 20. Still not bad, 10 and 20.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#259 » by HotelVitale » Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:06 pm

Chris76 wrote:The ESPN rankings have the Lakers finishing around the 10th worst.

Note also that the margin between the 5th and 10th worst is really narrow in those predictions--the Magic, Pacers, Knicks, and us are within a game of the Lakers' predicted wins. Though those predictions are 100% based on the RPM stat--nothing else was taken into consideration--if they're any indication of what happens then there's a good chance the pick ends up right in the sweet spot of #6-8.
Chris76
Sixth Man

Post#260 » by Chris76 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 2:12 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Chris76 wrote:The ESPN rankings have the Lakers finishing around the 10th worst.

Note also that the margin between the 5th and 10th worst is really narrow in those predictions--the Magic, Pacers, Knicks, and us are within a game of the Lakers' predicted wins. Though those predictions are 100% based on the RPM stat--nothing else was taken into consideration--if they're any indication of what happens then there's a good chance the pick ends up right in the sweet spot of #6-8.

Even better, we get the 7th and 20th pick and make it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers