ImageImageImage

2018 Pick Watch (Philly, LAL 1 or 6-30, etc)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Re: 2018 Pick Watch (Philly, LAL 1 or 6-30, etc) 

Post#301 » by kriss73 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 2:16 pm

Imho, Ainge (and all others GM's) knew that Irving would be available for trades already at draft time.
Ainge simply chose Irving (and Tatum and a pick) over Fultz, maybe because he knew to land Hayward in FA.
The overall timeline of Irving/Hayward/Horford is more consistent than Fultz etc.
And probably Ainge has another trade in the making.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Chris76
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#302 » by Chris76 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 2:54 pm

kriss73 wrote:Imho, Ainge (and all others GM's) knew that Irving would be available for trades already at draft time.
Ainge simply chose Irving (and Tatum and a pick) over Fultz, maybe because he knew to land Hayward in FA.
The overall timeline of Irving/Hayward/Horford is more consistent than Fultz etc.

Many factors contributed to the trade. Tatum looks to be a good prospect, a very good shooter, and quick hands. Plus a possible top 5 pick is great value, a good decision.

The Sixers paid a steep price, but they got a 2 way, 3pt shooting PG. Fultz has the potential to be a star, especially with Embiid and Simmons, another good desicion.

The Sixers could of stayed and picked D Fox or DSJ, which could of been a good choice, too. However, Fultz seems like the best choice at the time. DSJ has some injury issues and relies on his athleticism a lot, probably why he fell to the 9th pick.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#303 » by Unbreakable99 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 4:00 pm

Chris76 wrote:
kriss73 wrote:Imho, Ainge (and all others GM's) knew that Irving would be available for trades already at draft time.

Many factors contributed to the trade. Tatum looks to be a good prospect, a very good shooter, and quick hands. Plus a possible top 5 pick is great value, a good decision.

The Sixers paid a steep price, but they got a 2 way, 3pt shooting PG. Fultz has the potential to be a star, especially with Embiid and Simmons, another good desicion.

The Sixers could of stayed and picked D Fox or DSJ, which could of been a good choice, too. However, Fultz seems like the best choice at the time. DSJ has some injury issues and relies on his athleticism a lot, probably why he fell to the 9th pick.

I wouldn't call Fultz a two way player just yet. He's been bad on the defensive end. He needs to play a lot better to be called a two way player. He has the tools but I'm doubtful he will be good on D.
Chris76
Sixth Man

Post#304 » by Chris76 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 5:39 pm

Unbreakable99 wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

I wouldn't call Fultz a two way player just yet. He's been bad on the defensive end. He needs to play a lot better to be called a two way player. He has the tools but I'm doubtful he will be good on D.

Hoping he can be good at D, we need good perimeter defenders.

TJ is okay, but he might be too small.
TLC and Korkmaz are promising.
Stauskus is taller, but doesn't have TJ's intensity.
Redick has experience.

Maybe BB could stop feeding them and make them meaner.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#305 » by the_process » Wed Sep 6, 2017 2:10 am

smittybanton wrote:Vegas speaks:

1 - CHI21.5,
2- ATL25.5,
3 - BKN28.5,
4 - PHX28.5,
5 - SAC28.5,
6 - NYK30.5,
7 - IND31.5,
8 - ORL33.5,
9 - LAL33.5,

10 - DAL35.5,
11 - MEM37.5,
12 - DET38.5
13 - NO39.5,
SIXERS42.5

Hit the under on Dallas hard.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,909

Post#306 » by Wilfried » Wed Sep 6, 2017 10:48 am

Dallas has a pretty decent team. Can contend for 8th, but probably wpn't make it
Chris76
Sixth Man

Post#307 » by Chris76 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 1:14 pm

Wilfried wrote:Dallas has a pretty decent team. Can contend for 8th, but probably wpn't make it

Barnes, DSJ, Dirk, and Noel could be a good group. Crazy how people underrate the impact Noel could have. Once he starts playing, the contract issues should fade away till next year.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#308 » by the_process » Sat Sep 9, 2017 1:15 am

Chris76 wrote:
Wilfried wrote:Dallas has a pretty decent team. Can contend for 8th, but probably wpn't make it

Barnes, DSJ, Dirk, and Noel could be a good group. Crazy how people underrate the impact Noel could have. Once he starts playing, the contract issues should fade away till next year.

I love Carlisle more than most, and dude has been working wonders keeping Dallas mostly competitive the last few years with an aging Dirk and not much else. But Noel is going to Desean Jackson this year, meaning he will go out of his way not to get hurt IMO. So the hustle plays and the help defense we've seen from him aren't going to be there. DSJ has a lot to prove and rarely do rookies significantly impact W/L. Dirk is pushing 40 now and is set to fall off the table. Their starting SG is a guy that never fully recovered from a Achilles tear, and is now a negative impact player.

They have the inside track to the 2nd worst record in the West IMO. Oh, and the only player Dallas has on their bench worth a damn is Seth Curry.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#309 » by Simmons25 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:41 am

Chris76 wrote:

I don't think they have any chance of contending for 8th... I have them being one of the worst teams this year in the West.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach

Post#310 » by Wilfried » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:30 am

Simmons25 wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

I don't think they have any chance of contending for 8th... I have them being one of the worst teams this year in the West.

Noel - Barnes - Matthews - Smith - Nowitzki

That's a pretty decent starting 5.
And they have a top coach.

Can't see Sacramento, Phoenix or LA Lakers being better.

I think they can play along with Memphis, Utah, Clippers, ... so they can contend for 8th seed imo. But probably won't make it because of depth.
Simmons25
Analyst

Post#311 » by Simmons25 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:43 am

Wilfried wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
Chris76 wrote:

And they have a top coach.

Can't see Sacramento, Phoenix or LA Lakers being better.

I think they can play along with Memphis, Utah, Clippers, ... so they can contend for 8th seed imo. But probably won't make it because of depth.

I have them in the bottom 4 with Sacramento, Phoenix and Lakers... but I will guess we'll see.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#312 » by smittybanton » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Bogut signs with Lakers. Not Boston. Double goodness.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,810

Post#313 » by HotelVitale » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Wilfried wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:
Chris76 wrote: Barnes, DSJ, Dirk, and Noel could be a good group. Crazy how people underrate the impact Noel could have. Once he starts playing, the contract issues should fade away till next year.

Not really. Barns isn't actually good--even if fantasy players were exctied about him last year--and the advanced stats all have him as a bench player. Dirk's been declining pretty hard the last couple years and is what he is now: a solid floor spacer who just spots up and doesn't contribute elsewhere. DSJ is a young rookie and, while I expect him to have some super exciting moments, I'd bet my house he's not an average starter this year. And Matthews will probably fall somewhere between average starter and good bench player this year (depending on health).

Overall, that team would look great if we were talking about guys at their peaks--but we're not, and it's not exactly a barnstorming unit overall. And the bench is rough to look at.
Simmons25
Analyst

Post#314 » by Simmons25 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:29 am

Unbreakable99 wrote:I wouldn't call Fultz a two way player just yet. He's been bad on the defensive end. He needs to play a lot better to be called a two way player. He has the tools but I'm doubtful he will be good on D.

It's easy to look bad on the defensive end when you play on bad teams. Simmons copped the same rap and I said all along I think he will defensively be elite... and the coaching staff are already starting to say the same thing.

Defense comes down to 2 things. Physical tools and effort. Fultz has the physical tools and that's the bit you can't train for... I see no reason to not see Fultz becoming very good defensively given his supposed work ethic.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#315 » by hookshot199 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:New thread. 2018 picks in play

2018 Philly 1st (unprotected)
2018 LAL 1st (unprotected) If 1 or 6-30
2018 Philly 2nd
2018 Best of Brooklyn and Cleveland 2nd
2018 Best of New York and LA Clippers 2nd

Also in play, the year the OKC pick will trigger as a one time event. The OKC 1st becomes definitely in 2020 if OKC finishes in the playoffs picks 15-30.

2020 first round draft pick from Oklahoma City
Two years after Oklahoma City conveys a 1st round pick to Utah, Oklahoma City will convey its 1st round pick to Philadelphia protected for selections 1-20 in 2020, 1-20 in 2021 and 1-20 in 2022; in any year, if this pick is not conveyed because it falls within its protected range, then Oklahoma City will instead convey its 2022 2nd round pick and 2023 2nd round pick to Philadelphia (i.e., the 1st round pick will not roll over to the following year due to protection)

I think the Carmelo trade, the Caldwell-Pope and Bogut signings, the Brandon Knight injury, Atlanta's departures, and Zebo's run-in with the law have just increased our chances to keep the Lakers pick in June. Chicago, the Knicks, Atlanta, Phoenix and Sacramento could easily be bottom five. I can't see the Lakers being worse than Indiana and Orlando, at least not both of them. I can't judge Brooklyn. They also might be worse than the Lakers, but I don't expect them to be bottom five.
europeanfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#316 » by europeanfan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:I wouldn't call Fultz a two way player just yet. He's been bad on the defensive end. He needs to play a lot better to be called a two way player. He has the tools but I'm doubtful he will be good on D.

It's easy to look bad on the defensive end when you play on bad teams. Simmons copped the same rap and I said all along I think he will defensively be elite... and the coaching staff are already starting to say the same thing.

Defense comes down to 2 things. Physical tools and effort. Fultz has the physical tools and that's the bit you can't train for... I see no reason to not see Fultz becoming very good defensively given his supposed work ethic.

He can get blocks for sure as a rookie. Overall good defense will be a work on the long term.

Guards blocking shots is one of the most fun thing in bball.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#317 » by Kolkmania » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:41 am

Just preseason but Lakers are struggling, it's different when teams actually run back after a miss. Brook Lopez has to provide some scoring for the starting lineup.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#318 » by spikeslovechild » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:48 pm

How he may have known Irving wanted out but the second part of the equation is they had to realize the Cavs would be willing to move him with term left on his deal. This wasn't a George trade where with one year they had to move him. Cavs didn't have to honor his request. They choose to do so.

Bt most accounts they had yet to make up their mind late in the process. Ainge gets way too much credit for circumstances beyond his control.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach

Post#319 » by Wilfried » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Jeremy Lin is out for the season.

Brooklyn probably be worse than Lakers? Important for that pick.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#320 » by LloydFree » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 am

Well, the Lakers are an abomination. So glad we traded their pick away for air.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers