ImageImageImage

Markelle Fultz Discussion

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Re: Markelle Fultz Discussion 

Post#1941 » by cksdayoff » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 pm

dsj was the guy i wanted just before the college basketball season. i was on his bandwagon since his sophomore year. switched to fultz when i realized he was a better fit than dsj for the sixers, but dsj was my second option. he passed the eye test, always looked like the best player on the floor even against other top prospects. he can be a really good defender when he wants to be, and he has ninja hands, he's gonna generate a lot of steals.

one thing that concerned me was his pull-up game last year. he was atrocious off the dribble
#failforfultz
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#1942 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:59 am

Watch games outside Sixers games. The game is heavy on switching on D, 3pt shooting and PnR that Fultz will be elite with among PGs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#1943 » by SexDrugsPnR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I wish Justin Anderson wasn't so bad at basketball because it sure seems like he brings everything else to the table.

he seems to be one of the smartest and most well spoken guys on the team. good guy to have in the locker room.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,801

Post#1944 » by Negrodamus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:16 pm

https://theathletic.com/130407/2017/10/18/markelle-fultz-knows-ive-got-to-earn-what-i-want/

During the Sixers' first preseason game against Memphis, Fultz shot 2-for-13 from the field, and during breaks in the action, Grizzlies guard Andrew Harrison chirped and got in his face. According to Fultz, Harrison told him he thought he was trash.

His response should be easy:

"I'm so excited for your vibrant basketball future.... in China."
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1945 » by Negrodamus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:20 pm

One more thing about the shot:

Read on Twitter

I know this tweet has been posted in this thread before, but you don't practice one handed free throws if you plan on shooting like he did in the preseason at the line (both hands kinda pushing the ball off). Just wanted to hammer home the shot is likely a product of his injury and not some reformation.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1946 » by 76ciology » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:58 pm

76ciology wrote:Watch games outside Sixers games. The game is heavy on switching on D, 3pt shooting and PnR that Fultz will be elite with among PGs.

Watching the Cavs-Celts match-up, Celts cants execute their switch heavy D because Kyrie is a liability. He dies on switch&useless against bigger opponents.

DSJ? DRose(or any scoring PGs or a wing/big) will back him up in the post like what he did against Shane Larkin. Lonzo? He can't score on ISO, so switch his PnRs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1947 » by LloydFree » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
I was going to say, I don't think Brown was concerned with polishing the PnR game with McConnell and Saric.

You don't not only draft, but trade up to #1 overall for Fultz to not run the thing he's best at. It doesn't make any sense.

Brett Brown runs the Spurs motion offense. The Spurs don't change their offense for the personnel and Brett Brown hasn't changed the offense since he came here. If they change the offense for Fultz I'll put Fultz's​ face in my avatar.

I look forward to the new avatar.

@ Negrodamus: So I guess this bet is closed. Since Brown isn't even starting Fultz, its safe to say he isn't changing his Spurs offense for Fultz.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1578179&start=1528#start_here
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1948 » by Negrodamus » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Brett Brown runs the Spurs motion offense. The Spurs don't change their offense for the personnel and Brett Brown hasn't changed the offense since he came here. If they change the offense for Fultz I'll put Fultz's​ face in my avatar.

@ Negrodamus: So I guess this bet is closed. Since Brown isn't even starting Fultz, its safe to say he isn't changing his Spurs offense for Fultz.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1578179&start=1528#start_here

I don't think that should be contingent on a 19 year old starting; especially if other players like Redick, Bayless, Simmons, etc could all be running the PnR (and we saw it quite a bit in the preseason). But if you want to close it, by all means.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1949 » by LloydFree » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I don't think that should be contingent on a 19 year old starting; especially if other players like Redick, Bayless, Simmons, etc could all be running the PnR (and we saw it quite a bit in the preseason). But if you want to close it, by all means.

OK. That's settled. Now I just have to bite my nails until the end of the season, regarding the bet of Fultz averaging more assists than Simmons. :D
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#1950 » by kingofthecourt67 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 am

My theory is he messed around with his jumper and has lost total confidence in it. Team is protecting him from being raked by the media by claiming it is a shoulder injury. No way this team, with this depth and history of caution, would let him play.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#1951 » by cksdayoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:42 am

kingofthecourt67 wrote:My theory is he messed around with his jumper and has lost total confidence in it. Team is protecting him from being raked by the media by claiming it is a shoulder injury. No way this team, with this depth and history of caution, would let him play.

i dont buy it when he's using a crap form for his free throws
#failforfultz
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#1952 » by kingofthecourt67 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:47 am

cksdayoff wrote:
kingofthecourt67 wrote:My theory is he messed around with his jumper and has lost total confidence in it. Team is protecting him from being raked by the media by claiming it is a shoulder injury. No way this team, with this depth and history of caution, would let him play.

i dont buy it when he's using a crap form for his free throws

Yeah but it looks like he's messing around with his free throw form rather than being in pain
Sasashi
Sophomore
And1: 99

Post#1953 » by Sasashi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 am

Looks obvious hes carrying a shoulder injury....his bread and butter is his outside shot, just wont go to it. At least hea doing well driving to the basket.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1954 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:48 am

He showed his natural touch with that one pull up 8 footer. Up and down debut, but he fought hard, and I’m happy with it.

Welcome to the nba kid. Wall is one of the toughest matchups that he will have in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phiphan
Head Coach
And1: 2,331

Post#1955 » by phiphan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:51 am

He looked great. He needs another year or two but he'll get there.
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#1956 » by JojoSlimbiid » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:52 am

Fix the shoot, keep the defense, and keep attacking and you'll be alright kid.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1957 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 am

Ericb5 wrote:He showed his natural touch with that one pull up 8 footer. Up and down debut, but he fought hard, and I’m happy with it.

Welcome to the nba kid. Wall is one of the toughest matchups that he will have in the league.

Read on Twitter
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#1958 » by the_process » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:57 am

Fultz played well tonight on the whole. He really needs to be shooting 3’s, and that FT form is gross... but he was able to penetrate and he put forth the effort defensively. Lot to look forward to from the kid.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#1959 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 am

76ciology wrote:
Ericb5 wrote:He showed his natural touch with that one pull up 8 footer. Up and down debut, but he fought hard, and I’m happy with it.

Read on Twitter

It’s a pure scorer’s play. Love it.

76ciology
RealGM

Post#1960 » by 76ciology » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:39 am

Take this with a grain of salt..

Imagine if we drafted Fultz with a roster we are used to in the last 2-3 seasons. A team filled with cheap 3&D wings, cheap drive&dish PGs and cheap dunk&block centers. Hot take.. I think he's gonna be like a PG version of Okafor. 16-18 points on 16-18 FGAs on 45-47FG%? 4 rebs, 4 assists& .5 steals and .5bpg. Bad games against Westbrook and Wall. Impressive against DLo and Lonzo. More of empty stats that high on court impact. Score like 16 in first quarter, just 6 pts for the rest of the game. Yeah u know, the okafor rookie season type games.

We're probably trying to cut that bad Fultz version and trying to tweak his game by driving more to the basket and playing better D. You can say, why then dont we let him jack up perimeter shots? Maybe this would lead to more challenged mid range jumpers?

I really believe his pull up game is still there. I've seen him pull it off against long defenders like Exum, Jaylen Brown? and Oubre. I think his 3pt shooting is already maxed out FOR NOW, like with a 35-37%.

I was watching the Rox game yesterday. And they say about MDA instructed the Rox to be drive first, shoot 3 second and the rest third. Maybe we're trying to develop his attack the rim game like most elite PGs like Wall(he made my list after tonights game) and Harden?

I also think Fultz is experimenting his FT shooting because his previous form is just inconsistent for him.

Looks bad. But maybe he's just improving his weakness like attacking the rim better, FT shooting and defense. If he improve those areas, he then might be one of the most complete positionless PG. The type of PG that can hurt switch heavy defense.

If you want something fast, dont diversify but FOCUS. And maybe we're just FOCUSING to develop his weakness.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers