ImageImageImage

Welcome Jonah Bolden

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Re: Welcome Jonah Bolden 

Post#221 » by Kolkmania » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:01 pm

Also a waste of a contract year to let him join us now. Hope we can lock him up for a 4 year deal this summer.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,762

Post#222 » by HotelVitale » Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:08 pm

long range bomber wrote:I understand that roster spots are very valuable but it is very doubtful that 11-15th man is actually of any use so it may actually be useful to those spots for high-ceiling but raw prospects.
5. CLE - (Ante Zizc, Jose Calderon, Channing Frye, Iman Shumpert, Cedi Osman)
6. PHI - (Stauskas, Korkmaz, Anderson, Okafor)
The best used spots of the above are usually high-ceiling but raw prospects and I would be fine having an end of roster of guys like Korkmaz, Bolden, Pasecniks, and some risky high ceiling 2nd rounders form our 4 2nd round picks in 2018.

I think you missed my point, lrb: yes, using roster spots 13-15 for prospects is a reasonable strategy in most situations, but a) we already have too many of them, and b) most 2nd rd prospects don't amount to anything, especially not while on their rookie contracts. So you're arguing that we need to set aside FA money that could go to filling a needed role right away--in order to give longer contracts to people who have almost no chance of being useful now and only a small chance of being useful in a few years.

Also the reason some of those really good teams have minium 2nd rounders or junk guys as 12-15 on their roster is because that was the only move left for them: once you're over the cap and have used your annual exceptions, the only way to fill out your roster is with minimum salary players. Not allowed to offer anything but the minimum to anyone in those situations.
long range bomber
Bench Warmer
And1: 52

Post#223 » by long range bomber » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:10 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
long range bomber wrote:I understand that roster spots are very valuable but it is very doubtful that 11-15th man is actually of any use so it may actually be useful to those spots for high-ceiling but raw prospects.
5. CLE - (Ante Zizc, Jose Calderon, Channing Frye, Iman Shumpert, Cedi Osman)
6. PHI - (Stauskas, Korkmaz, Anderson, Okafor)
The best used spots of the above are usually high-ceiling but raw prospects and I would be fine having an end of roster of guys like Korkmaz, Bolden, Pasecniks, and some risky high ceiling 2nd rounders form our 4 2nd round picks in 2018.

I think you missed my point, lrb: yes, using roster spots 13-15 for prospects is a reasonable strategy in most situations, but a) we already have too many of them, and b) most 2nd rd prospects don't amount to anything, especially not while on their rookie contracts. So you're arguing that we need to set aside FA money that could go to filling a needed role right away--in order to give longer contracts to people who have almost no chance of being useful now and only a small chance of being useful in a few years.

Also the reason some of those really good teams have minium 2nd rounders or junk guys as 12-15 on their roster is because that was the only move left for them: once you're over the cap and have used your annual exceptions, the only way to fill out your roster is with minimum salary players. Not allowed to offer anything but the minimum to anyone in those situations.

The only minimum players in your whole quote is Calderon, the other 8 players are on several times the minimum.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,762

Post#224 » by HotelVitale » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:03 pm

long range bomber wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
long range bomber wrote:I understand that roster spots are very valuable but it is very doubtful that 11-15th man is actually of any use so it may actually be useful to those spots for high-ceiling but raw prospects...

The only minimum players in your whole quote is Calderon, the other 8 players are on several times the minimum.

Not sure where you're going with that. To remind you the context, your point was that end-of-roster guys aren't key parts of rotations, so we may as well sign 2nd rounders to Hinkie specials to fill those spots; I said that can sometimes be an okay strategy but that 2nd rounders are rarely useful so you're most likely burning those roster spots that could be used for something more useful. And as an aside, I also stated that many good teams with top-heavy salary sheets have to fill out their roster with minimum salary guys. (That's just a fact, it's not a point in either of our favors). So why did you think it was useful to point out that the players you listed as useless weren't Hinkie specials?

Also, fwiw the Cavs have 4 minimum salary players, and every single person you mentioned as being useless is in fact part of Cleveland's rotation, as we saw yesterday. Also Cedi Osman was a recent 2nd rounder that they signed for 3 years using their MLE this year. So it doesn't seem like any of that supports your point.
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#225 » by smittybanton » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Hadn't noticed it before, but back on October 26th, Jonah Bolden and Maccabi Tel Aviv went up against Matthias Lessort and KK Crvena Zvezda. Our 'other' 2nd round pick got the win, 87-84.

Jonah Bolden started at PF, played 20min, had 11pts, shooting only three pointers, six of them (3-6, 3-6, 2-4). Pretty indicative of what the Sixers would have him do. He chipped in 5rebs, 2asts, a steal, and one turnover.

Lessort started at C for Krvena, played 19min, had 6 points (2-2, 0-0, 2-3), pulling down 4rebs and one steal with one turnover.
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#226 » by JojoSlimbiid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:00 am

Read on Twitter
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#228 » by Simmons25 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 pm

timLH
Junior
And1: 84

Post#229 » by timLH » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Simmons25 wrote:

I'm most impressed by the pass at 1:20. Looking forward to watching him with Biid, Simmons and Cov. What a giant lineup it will be.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#230 » by LloydFree » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:18 pm

timLH wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

I'm most impressed by the pass at 1:20. Looking forward to watching him with Biid, Simmons and Cov. What a giant lineup it will be.

Seeing how Bolden fits in the NBA will be one of the things I'll be most interested in seeing next season. If he has any defensive awareness, his other abilities could be a big problem for opponents.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#231 » by nitocobola » Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:34 pm

played against real madrid today... 3 PTS / 4 AST / 7 REB 26 min.
Bad shooting night, gonna catch the game later.
JojoSlimbiid
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,229

Post#232 » by JojoSlimbiid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Like the way he runs the floor. Not sure about all that handling in the open court stuff though. Find a PG and run the floor IMO. Need to lookup his wingspan again. Looks like he's getting some good extension on those blocks.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#233 » by PLO » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Given our lack of wing depth he would be very very handy for us right now. There's a Maccabi game on ESPN right now, can't see Bolden playing though?
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
phillychuck
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#234 » by phillychuck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am

Simmons25 wrote:

Interesting that the Hebrew phrase for "in-and-out" is "in-and-out".
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,727

Post#235 » by Negrodamus » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 pm

phillychuck wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

It's a basketball phrase which has its roots in the United States. I'm sure they'd say "alley-oop" too.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#236 » by BullyKing » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
phillychuck wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

It's a basketball phrase which has its roots in the United States. I'm sure they'd say "alley-oop" too.

Pretty much. Modern Hebrew is a slightly odd language because its based on Biblical Hebrew as you'd expect. But modern Hebrew is really a 20th century creation and so when it came to coming up with words for things that didn't exist in Biblical times, they frequently just took the English word. So given how prevalent English words are in the Hebrew language, its not surprising that they just kept "in n out" as opposed to translating that to a Hebrew equivalent. Also everyone under age 90 in Israel is pretty much fluent in English anyway.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,698

Post#237 » by the_process » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Bolden should be a nice addition next year.
Juannydawkins
Junior
And1: 25

Post#238 » by Juannydawkins » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:11 pm

anyone w espn insider read the new bolden article?
: )
gdog2004
Starter
And1: 706

Post#239 » by gdog2004 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:16 pm

So is it a lock that Bolden comes over next year (assuming his play holds up) or is he under some sort of dicey contract ?
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#240 » by Ericb5 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:47 pm

gdog2004 wrote:So is it a lock that Bolden comes over next year (assuming his play holds up) or is he under some sort of dicey contract ?

I don’t think that there are any contractual issues that would keep him from coming over if that is what he and the team wanted to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Philadelphia 76ers